Options

What is server side emulation?

JexJex Posts: 283
edited October 2013 in Technical Stuff and Help
Can someone explain server side emulation?

I have been trying to stay up to date in the ps4. I was reading an article that said the ps4 will not be backwards compatible but will be able to play ps3 games through online streaming and sever side emulation. I'm new to this topic and was wondering if someone could explain how this would possibly work.
"Mine is mine and yours won't take its place.."
1.Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin 09-03-2011 / 2.Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin 09-04-2011 / 3.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 / 4.iWireless Center Moline, IL 10-17-2014 / 5.Bradley Center Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 / 6.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-20-2016 / 7.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-22-2016 / 8.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-18-2018 / 9.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Server-Side scripting on the web, which is the same idea, is script that runs on the server, not on the client's machine. so for example I can code a website in some form of .NET and everything you see on the webpage is generated on the server (and an advantage is that you do not have the option of seeing the script itself...thus reducing the possibility of script theft). An example of client-side scripting is JavaScript: JavaScript is code embedded in the actual HTML file, so it gets to your computer and then your web browser compiles the code and generates the webpage as intended.

so in the case of PS4, what they are saying is you can't pop in your PS3 discs and expect them to work. But somehow you will have access to an online library of older titles which will compile and run on the server itself (not your PS4), and then the streamed game will show up on your TV, via your PS4's internet connection, as if you had put in the disc and run it on your PS3.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    disregard the above post. binfrog just likes to yank people's chains.

for the answer to your question, pose it here:
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=204544
    chinese-happy.jpg