Comments

• Options
    they played vertigo twice
    "Pussies no more"
    "Johnny we miss, Pete your still the greatest"
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Squidge wrote:
    U2......what is it with this band. Bono is an arse, The Edge....i mean CUMMON!!!!!!! What fuckin band gives themselves nicknames the stupid C**TS!!!!
    Well they didn't give themeselves the nicknames, you think Kenny Gaspar woke up one morning and said "I think I'll start calling myself Boom"?
    Of course he wanted to be T-Bone, but that was taken already.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Most concert reviews in newspapers are written by people who know little about the band they're reviewing. I saw a review of the Nine Inch Nails show that said NIN covered the Johnny Cash song Hurt. I mean I love th Cash version of that song, but how do you review the Nails show and not know that Hurt is written by Trent????
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • Options
    Sorry guys, this is my first post but after reading that piece of trash I have to vent....

First off, The Toronto Sun is nothing more than a glorified tabloid!!!! Their writers in ALL areas are morons and this is a prime example. The Boo'ing reference to Boom obviously means she has zero knowledge of the band. To compare U2 with Pearl Jam is laughable. Like someone previously mentioned, (sorry to offend any U2 fans but....) U2 is nothing but an overproduced, overhyped, POP band!! Sure they did have relevence and credibility but that was about 14 years ago. A PJ concert is about one thing, the music. Minimal lights and effects, just the boys up there playing their butts off. As the writer mentions U2 maintains their relevence because of their supreme "showmanship and stage designs". Last time I looked how many of the greatests bands in history had to rely on showmanship and stages to stay relevant, I mean aren't they MUSICIANS NOT PERFORMERS?????? I have now been to 6 PJ shows and everyone of them has been an amazing experience. I have been with several people who were seeing them for the first time (including last night) and every single one of them loved it!!!! If you want to compare a U2 show to another concert, then maybe Madonna would be more fitting.

I will say that when Bono came out, the crowd went nuts. Even though I don't particularly like U2, I can appreciate their places in music history. To say Bono stole the show is ludicrous, the guy was on stage for ONE SONG. Sure him being there generated a few extra cheers but he did nothing memorable.

Overall this review isn't even worth the paper its written on. I have disagreed with several of the Sun's concert reviews before but this one took things to a whole other level.
    Spin me round......roll me over.......fucking circus

Shows:
    96/09/21 - MLG (Toronto)
    98/08/22 - Molson Park (Barrie)
    00/10/05 - ACC (Toronto)
    03/06/28 - Molson Amphitheatre (Toronto)
    05/09/13 - Copps Coliseum (Hamilton)
    05/09/19 - ACC (Toronto)
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    I encourage you guys to write the Sun and comment on how you feel about the article, I just did.
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    When Bono performs with Pearl Jam and vice versa. I don't think the bands are comparible, but to journalists who need to bang out a quick article, it's enough of a basis to go on.

Most reviews in newspapers are written by non-PJ fanatics, like the people who post on this board. You know they aren't going to capture the awesomeness of a PJ show. It's best to ignore it.
    Makes much more sense to live in the Present Tense.

Shows: 05/30/03, 09/02/05, 09/04/05, 09/05/05, 09/24/05, 09/25/05, 07/22/06, 04/02/08 (EV solo), 08/08/09, 08/23/09, 08/24/09, 09/25/09, 09/21/11, 09/23/11, /9/30/12, 12/02/13... many more to come!
  • Options
    i wonder if pearl jam comes out with a limited edition ipod, maybe then this reporter will respect them as a "real rock band"...

what a joke.

the title of her article should have been:
    "i'm an idiot, i've never seen pearl jam live, oh and i want to have sex with bono".
  • Options
    Just got back to Philly from Toronto. This morning I pick up The Toronto Sun and see a cool shot of Eddie on the front. So I read and discover how insignificant the Sun is in Toronto. Who puts the Vedder on the front page and then Bashes him 60 pages deep. WHAT A JOKE!

Fuck you Toronto Sun and that pathetic piece you call journalism.
    If I had known then what I know now.....

"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
    Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    jsamjsam Posts: 1
    The Sun is "pro Bush". Would you expect a ringing endorsement for a band that is decidedly the opposite?
    lost&found
  • Options
    This guy obvoiusly has a hard on for Bono. I'm sorry but in no way did Bono upstage Pearl JAm. He just added to the fire that was alreay out of control
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    GWNGWN Posts: 19
    it is not either or with Pearl Jam and U2. Just because she is clueless doesn't mean you have to rip on U2 to elevate (heh heh) Pearl Jam! They are both great bands, IMO, and they clearly have a lot of mutual respect.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,682
    Check it out.

I wrote a review of a Queens of the Stone Age show a few months back. Sent my article into the Toronto Sun. The Sun chose not to use my story. At first I didn't mind...Oh well...Fuck it... As a free lance writer you get used getting passed over.

The only problem is that the Sun's staff writer...the same talentless wretch that wrote the above Pearl Jam Article...flat out plagarized my work.

The women not only liffted most of my ideas (sometimes word for F'N word) but she proceeded to turn every thing positive that I had to say about the show into her own negative review.

I've been in Legal dispute with this shitty paper for months now. They are
    notorious for fucking over Free Lance writers like myself.

It burns my ass everytime I read a review by this Hack...She almost always gets her facts wrong, and she never has anything positive to say about any band that she reviews.

The Toronto Sun is an atrocious newspaper that nests in the armpits of proffesional Journalisim.

Don't take any offence from this womens review of Last Nignts Show.
    She's a bitter and talentless hack of a writer who quite obviously hates Rock'n'Roll.
  • Options
    This is the most mindless piece of trash I have ever read in regards to music. Clearly, you are more impressed with what MTV has fed you over the past 10 years than true talent if you think that U2 is more relevant in the world of music than Pearl Jam. Beyond that, its unfortunate that you feel the need to mark a band’s relevance by comparing it to another, rather than on its own premise. Pearl Jam is everything that U2 once was. After seeing both bands live in the past 5 months, I can tell you that Pearl Jam is by far the most energetic and genuine band that we will see in our time. U2 on the other hand plays a stale, staged, choreographed show every night that lacks the emotion and surprise that brings Pearl Jam fans back every night. If you’ve seen one U2 show per tour, you’ve seen them all. It is unfortunate that theatrics are valued more than talent these days in the world of music media, but the fans know what is truly important. And while Bono may have MTV’s ear, Pearl Jam belongs to the fans.

(name)
    Chicago, IL
    32 Pearl Jam shows and counting.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    lowlight10 wrote:
    This is the most mindless piece of trash I have ever read in regards to music. Clearly, you are more impressed with what MTV has fed you over the past 10 years than true talent if you think that U2 is more relevant in the world of music than Pearl Jam. Beyond that, its unfortunate that you feel the need to mark a band’s relevance by comparing it to another, rather than on its own premise. Pearl Jam is everything that U2 once was. After seeing both bands live in the past 5 months, I can tell you that Pearl Jam is by far the most energetic and genuine band that we will see in our time. U2 on the other hand plays a stale, staged, choreographed show every night that lacks the emotion and surprise that brings Pearl Jam fans back every night. If you’ve seen one U2 show per tour, you’ve seen them all. It is unfortunate that theatrics are valued more than talent these days in the world of music media, but the fans know what is truly important. And while Bono may have MTV’s ear, Pearl Jam belongs to the fans.

(name)
    Chicago, IL
    32 Pearl Jam shows and counting.

well said. i too wrote sometihng to the sun about this article. i encourage everyone to write to the sun about this. i like U2 and all but one of their shows canot compare to a PJ show.
    "Come Back"........R.I.P. Ant
  • Options
    I'll bet she thinks that the American Idol winners are relevant, and will have long distinguished careers. I've seen live events ranging from AC/DC to The Phantom of the Opera, and none of them compared to my first PJ experience.
    14 year wait, what a campfire!

Saskatoon '05, Chicago HOB '05, Toronto 1 & 2 '06, Chicago 1 & 2 '09, Winnipeg '11, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Edmonton '11, Calgary '13
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    This is what I'm sending to the editor of the paper.

Dear Editor,
    Your music reviewer Liisa LaDouceur has a frim bias in her review of the recent Toronto Pearl Jam concert. I would appreciate if you would send this to her so she can get a few things straight.

In your review of the Pearl Jam concert in Toronto you made a direct comparison between U2 and Pearl Jam in concert. I believe only Pearl Jam played that night. Bono came on stage to sing one song (which you basically said upstaged the previous twenty-five--an insane claim I might add).
    You mentioned that U2 puts on a much more passionate show than PJ. U2 performs the same songs, the same way in virtually the same order EVERY night. PJ mixes music up more to keep things fresh.
    Also, you claim about PJ lacking passion in their songs is ridiculous. You're obviously a fringe fan who only knows the band from the early 90s. What does it matter that the group hasn't had a hit in years? Do you judge music on its performance on the radio and what record companies shove down people's throat? In an age where Ashlee Simpson and Coldplay rule the radio I think you need to examine modern music and THEN PJ, not the other way around.
    You said that Ed Vedder made a joke, which he rarely does. If you listen to any of the bootlegs you would know he's very much a regular person with a regular sense of humor. This isn't 1992 Pearl Jam anymore. They have MATURED and aren't pissed off anymore. They have children, families and lives.
    One last thing, "It was just another rock song from by-gone era, back when Pearl Jam actually mattered." They still do matter, to a lot of people. With a sold out Canadian tour and legions of fans I think your comment is fielded on bias and your love of Bono. The music means a lot me and the eighteen thousand people who were in Toronto last night. You're an insult as a music fan and most of all a journalist.

Adam
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    well put evenflow82.

had i written the letter, it may have been difficult to keep from completely going off on this terrible reporter. i applaud your ability to stay rational and make several solid points.
  • Options
    i don't hate U2, they have some good songs but they in no way compare to PJ. after hearing that lady rip on pearl jam while making U2 out to be gods, this article might make you guys feel better, it helped me:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I went to the U2 show on Saturday and then PJ on Monday at the ACC -- I smelled pot at both shows. It sucks she has to make the pot-head comment w/ regards to PJ fans.

Both shows were great.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    everyone e-mail them your comments. I know I did. You don't wann know what I wrote. ;-)

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Music/2005/09/20/1227294-sun.html
  • Options
    I don't like how some random jobber can cut into a song like ALIVE sayin it's not relavant

the buildin was livid for songs like Habit,GO,Present Tense

this review just pissed me of

the setlist was 3 out of 5

but the energy in the buildin was unbelievable
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    evenflow82 wrote:
    This is what I'm sending to the editor of the paper.

Dear Editor,
    Your music reviewer Liisa LaDouceur has a frim bias in her review of the recent Toronto Pearl Jam concert. I would appreciate if you would send this to her so she can get a few things straight.

In your review of the Pearl Jam concert in Toronto you made a direct comparison between U2 and Pearl Jam in concert. I believe only Pearl Jam played that night. Bono came on stage to sing one song (which you basically said upstaged the previous twenty-five--an insane claim I might add).
    You mentioned that U2 puts on a much more passionate show than PJ. U2 performs the same songs, the same way in virtually the same order EVERY night. PJ mixes music up more to keep things fresh.
    Also, you claim about PJ lacking passion in their songs is ridiculous. You're obviously a fringe fan who only knows the band from the early 90s. What does it matter that the group hasn't had a hit in years? Do you judge music on its performance on the radio and what record companies shove down people's throat? In an age where Ashlee Simpson and Coldplay rule the radio I think you need to examine modern music and THEN PJ, not the other way around.
    You said that Ed Vedder made a joke, which he rarely does. If you listen to any of the bootlegs you would know he's very much a regular person with a regular sense of humor. This isn't 1992 Pearl Jam anymore. They have MATURED and aren't pissed off anymore. They have children, families and lives.
    One last thing, "It was just another rock song from by-gone era, back when Pearl Jam actually mattered." They still do matter, to a lot of people. With a sold out Canadian tour and legions of fans I think your comment is fielded on bias and your love of Bono. The music means a lot me and the eighteen thousand people who were in Toronto last night. You're an insult as a music fan and most of all a journalist.

Adam
    I applaude your initiative but you should have got your facts straight. Just so you're not doing exactly what the writer did.
    "You mentioned that U2 puts on a much more passionate show than PJ. U2 performs the same songs, the same way in virtually the same order EVERY night." You should have checked the setlists of the four Toronto shows before writing this. I saw Discotheque (first time this tour), Fast Cars (third time this tour), Miss Sarajevo (fourth time in North America this tour) played. These are rarities.
    "You said that Ed Vedder made a joke, which he rarely does." Yes Ed does joke more than he did in the past but don't make it out to be a regular thing. Did you go to any of the VFC shows? I don't even think he cracked a smile, let lone joked.
    "With a sold out Canadian tour". This is just plain incorrect. There were plenty of seats vacant and unsold in Ottawa and Montreal. Ottawa you could get 17th row floor just 2 hours before the show.
    Again, I applaude your initiative but get your facts straight before complaining about a writer not getting their's straight.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    jtwist wrote:
    Sorry guys, this is my first post but after reading that piece of trash I have to vent....

First off, The Toronto Sun is nothing more than a glorified tabloid!!!!

I agree.
    To compare U2 with Pearl Jam is laughable.

Both bands approach concerts from different angles. I don't feel it's worth anyone's time to compare them (unless you're into sensational journalism).

Like someone previously mentioned, (sorry to offend any U2 fans but....) U2 is nothing but an overproduced

Subjectively, perhaps (I disagree)
    overhyped

Subjectively, perhaps (I disagree)
    POP band

Nope. Last time I checked they're getting time on modern "rock" charts.
    "All Because of You" is a rock track. Be careful when you start compartmentalizing artists.
    Sure they did have relevence and credibility but that was about 14 years ago.

Umm . . . you're in Canada. If you're perhaps using charts as a signifier of relevance, then perhaps you should visit http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Charts/SINGLES.html and start counting the number of times U2 appears (and last week, U2 appeared 6 times) on Canada's singles sales charts according to Soundscan. Then do me a favour and list another artist that is listed more times.

Credibility is another matter. Regardless, measures of either are relatively subjective.
    A PJ concert is about one thing, the music.

The fact is PJ uses lights too, just not to same elaborate extent as U2. For some people, being entertained visually is also important (and in my opinion, doesn't detract from U2's music).
    If you want to compare a U2 show to another concert, then maybe Madonna would be more fitting.

Does Madonna play instruments consistently throughout her show? Have you actually been to a U2 concert?

I will go through some points:

1. I, as a U2 fan, would also prefer U2 mixed up their setlist more often than they do. I agree that's a fair criticism (but, again, a subjective one)--but only because I share that same opinion. I'd rather watch U2 perform Vertigo 10 times in one night than be forced to watch a lot of other stuff I've been dragged along to see over the years. And it's not as though they are playing every single song every night, much less in the exact same manner.

2. The Ipod thing is completely over-done. U2 did not accept money to appear in the commercial. It was a device for 1)increased publicity, especially in an America, and 2) for selling their music. Yes, they made money from the ipod sales. Those sales included a coupon off their music. So they're selling something directly related to their music. Who's going to buy the U2 Ipod except U2 fans who also want the U2 digital box set (and people with lots of money who like red and black ipods)? When U2 starts promoting stuff completely unrelated to music (and the causes they support), then I'll start complaining. U2 is all about being the biggest band in the land; they make no apologies for this; they didn't come out of the "I'm embarrassed to be popular" scene. But they didn't endorse Pepsi or Coke to become popular either.

3. U2 is relevant because their lyrics are still relevant; Bono and The Edge's lyrics reflect the times. Do they reflect the times better than other artists? That's for handjobs to debate. I can't be bothered with relatively subjective nonsense like that. I meet kids that love Britney Spears' music. Why should I argue with them, and, moreover, what makes them wrong? Simply because I'm bored with 4/4 time signatures? Because she rarely writes her own music? Or because he has a limited vocal range? Because she isn't proficient on any instrument? All subjective criteria . . . If you like Britney Spears, I can't go up to you and tell you that you're, objectively, wrong for liking Britney Spears. The very idea is nonsense.

Also, like it or not, U2 is relevant because Bono is relevant, politically.
    visit http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/magazine/18bono.html
    (you will need to register). And don't tell me Pearl Jam never gained some press because of a stance or cause that either Vedder or the band took.

4. Concerning the teleprompter criticism, Bono still wanders around the stage completely unaided by the teleprompter. That's why he had to stop and restart "Yahweh" this past Saturday in Toronto. He started the song with the second stanza. He tries to use the teleprompter when he has a brain-freeze and can't remember lyrics. But he isn't always near the main stage. In fact, usually, he just ad-libs lines when he can't remember them. I couldn't care less if he uses a teleprompter or not--because there hasn't been a single U2 show I've been to where he hasn't adlibbed some small section of a song (or started singing lyrics to another song that he likes).

Anyway, I don't care much for the review either. I enjoyed the Pearl Jam concert in Toronto. It's too bad the reviewer didn't (and for some strange reason decided to judge it, subjectively, based on another artist's performance instead of on the own show's merit. Then again, I guess it's not that strange considering the source).
  • Options
    looks like we officially pissed off a U2 fan.

ease up webslinger, we were ripping on the article, not so much U2.
  • Options
    looks like we officially pissed off a U2 fan.

I'm not pissed. I'm also a Ten Club member, for what it's worth.

And as I indicated earlier, I think the review is pathetic.
  • Options
    Red Lukin2 wrote:
    The surprise guest appearance raised the show from mediocre to memorable.

Since when are Pearl Jam's performances mediocre? Do they need to have special guests to be memorable? I'm sure people here would agree they'd rather have a show with a whole lotta rarities then a typical set with a "special guest".
  • Options
    yeah, all this U2 bashing should stop.
    this isn't aboot them or bono...it's aboot
    this god awful "journalist" and a just as equally awful newspaper.

so please, continue with the article bashing.
  • Options
    apples and oranges. its unfair to compare the two bands, very different.
    I like U2 as well, but in the view of that journalist, pitching i pods is what makes a band relevant in 2005. bullshit.
  • Options
    THE SUN IS ALWAYS TO BE IGNORED- THEY ARE THE MOST OBSOLETE PAPER OUT THERE/ THEY ALWAYS GIVE PJ BAD REVIEWS..... the best part is that the last time PJ was in T.O. they actually wrote that PJ performed songs that they hadnt even played... it is ridiculous. Anybody that takes anything that the SUN writes as truth is probably stupid, and if they walked in to a media class or any actual serious news environment would be made fun of. I take no shame in saying that.... watch the CBC its healthier for you. If the CBC gives Pearljam a bad review I might actually think about it for a second before i scoff.
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• Options
    We contacted the editor, the author (LIISA) and the paper (Filed an error report). Hows that for taking action!?! Here's the content of the email we sent:

John

To my great pleasure your paper published an article by Liisa Ladouceur reviewing the PJ concert last night with a great front page photo. I was anxious and interested in reading the professional opinion of the authors experience. As a veteran PJ concert attendee, I was not only disappointed to read Ms. Ladouceur's article, but was rather offended. The repeated comparisons to U2 were unnecessary, and only served the authors agenda to pit one band against the other, when obviously these two bands respect each other professionally and personally. Frankly her tone, inaccuracies and obvious bias were not at all what I would have expected. You may want to consider using some form of quality check to prevent a future faux pas of this nature. As noted in her article, the PJ following is not only very large, and loyal but also comprise the largest majority of your targeted reading population. A large percent of us are successful professionals who represent a large group of key consumers of the products your advertisers seek. I would be a little cautious about alienating your target audience with an article such as this. I know that I won't choose to purchase your rag in the future solely based on your lack of good judgement in this case.
    "I am myself, like you somehow"