Why United Center kind of sucked (not bashing PJ performance)

stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
So no liquor sales when band starts? WTF?

First time getting Ten club tickets, obviously I have bad number in the 300k's, but we were on floor in the back, and my 5 foot 2 girlfriend couldn't see anything (no screens in United Center). I'd thought that I read Ten Club was going to try to get front sections on floor, and sides of stage.

I might just buy tickets off scalper tomorrow night and try and sell my Ten club tickets if it's the same deal.

Enough bitching, the performance was awesome.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJChicagoPJChicago Posts: 7
    No Why Go, no Garden, no MITS. kind of weak setlist compared to most. Baba was great but could have put those three in there somewhere. I'm sure night two will get a nice setlist, but I can't make it tomorrow. Still, they rocked out like the old times though.
  • stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    Yeah, definitely looking forward to tomorrow, tonight seemed to be more casual fan friendly. I loved hearing the new stuff live.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    Someone bitched about this after the Toronto show. Do people not get and respect that the band doesnt want people going home drunk, so this gives them time to sober up? I just find it pathetic that more then a few fans have come on here crying about not being able to drink the whole time PJ is on stage. Is that why you go to the show, to buy $5 (or more) beers? Because I go to watch and listen to pearl jam.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • bones0138bones0138 Posts: 52
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    Someone bitched about this after the Toronto show. Do people not get and respect that the band doesnt want people going home drunk, so this gives them time to sober up?

that's bullshit. when i listen to vedder tell people to "light up" for next song, he ain't thinking about anyone sobering up.
    It's like going to a baseball game and having last call before 1st inning. They could stop after the main set and still have over an hour for people to "Sober up". Not everyone is getting sloshed, I like to drink a few beers during the set, but that doesn't mean I'm getting completely f*cked up.

Funny you mention lighting up. Guy next to me took a hit from his hitterbox during first song (Release)... security came and kicked him out. First song, holy crap that would have sucked.
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    bones0138 wrote:
    that's bullshit. when i listen to vedder tell people to "light up" for next song, he ain't thinking about anyone sobering up.

no shit especially when he's up there with his Heinekens and red wine... its the venue's rules... it eliminates lawsuits for over serving people...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Funny you mention lighting up. Guy next to me took a hit from his hitterbox during first song (Release)...as I was about to ask him for a hit, security came and kicked him out. First song, holy crap that would have sucked.

that's total bullshit...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    bones0138 wrote:

Exactly. Not to mention chugging wine until the end.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
    Not venue's rules I believe, I got dragged to a Bon Jovi concert at United Center few months back, and I was getting beers throughout show.
  • BluntManGuyBluntManGuy Posts: 55
    It's like going to a baseball game and having last call before 1st inning. They could stop after the main set and still have over an hour for people to "Sober up". Not everyone is getting sloshed, I like to drink a few beers during the set, but that doesn't mean I'm getting completely f*cked up.

Funny you mention lighting up. Guy next to me took a hit from his hitterbox during first song (Release)... security came and kicked him out. First song, holy crap that would have sucked.

Ouch! That would be the worst buzz kill ever! Drugs are bad...Mmm k. Guess I'll have to wait until the second song when I tie my shoe...
    Tell the captain 'This boats not safe and we're drowning.'
    Turns out he's the one making waves
  • PJChicago wrote:
    No Why Go, no Garden, no MITS. kind of weak setlist compared to most. Baba was great but could have put those three in there somewhere. I'm sure night two will get a nice setlist, but I can't make it tomorrow. Still, they rocked out like the old times though.

weak? you call "blood" and "indifference" weak? "present tense?" damn!
    ~I'd list my shows here, but I've long since lost count~
  • StonerJoeStonerJoe Posts: 4
    Dude THANK U SO MUCH!!!! Weak setlist my ass.

weak? you call "blood" and "indifference" weak? "present tense?" damn!
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    That set list wasn't too shabby man. Not the greatest, but I thought it wasn't too bad. Did anyone else think the crowd was REALLY into it?

...What's the big deal about the beers? When you went to a concert before you could legally drink, did it suck? I just don't understand what the big deal about it is.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • StonerJoeStonerJoe Posts: 4
    THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDE!!!!! That setlist is pretty sick!!
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    Someone bitched about this after the Toronto show. Do people not get and respect that the band doesnt want people going home drunk, so this gives them time to sober up? I just find it pathetic that more then a few fans have come on here crying about not being able to drink the whole time PJ is on stage. Is that why you go to the show, to buy $5 (or more) beers? Because I go to watch and listen to pearl jam.

STFU
    (10 characters)
  • worldworld Posts: 266
    I really enjoyed the show, I liked the setlist.
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • FishOilFishOil Posts: 9
    Just wonderin'

Did Eddie do the spoken word lyrics during I'm Open or just the chorus like in Hartford?
    I need a date for the upcoming tour. I'm single, I have a steady job, I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam and I am not a serial killer.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,760
    Yeah, definitely looking forward to tomorrow, tonight seemed to be more casual fan friendly. I loved hearing the new stuff live.

that's what I was thinking.
    Pearl Jam's back after some time off with an incredible album on a new label, seems like they're trying to market/reconnect with old fans (album presale included a bootleg from '92), so the setlist will be conservative to an extent. i imagine tomorrow will be a bit more random
  • SundaySilenceSundaySilence Posts: 534
    FishOil wrote:
    Just wonderin'

Did Eddie do the spoken word lyrics during I'm Open or just the chorus like in Hartford?

the chorus
  • janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179

First time getting Ten club tickets, obviously I have bad number in the 300k's, but we were on floor in the back, and my 5 foot 2 girlfriend couldn't see anything (no screens in United Center). I'd thought that I read Ten Club was going to try to get front sections on floor, and sides of stage.

I'm worried about this too :(
  • RiotAct10 wrote:

First of all, is this a PJ decree for the venues? I have no idea, so if you know, let me know. If it is, it sucks. If it isn't, then whoever put in place at the UC should be shot. What the fuck? I have news for the above quoted person: Here in Chicago we drink. I am in no way saying booze up and get behind the wheel, but as a general principle, we know that you don't do that. If I want to drink through the show, then what the fuck business is it of yours? Particularly if I'm getting in a cab after the show.

"MY CHOICE IS WHAT I CHOOSE TO DO, AND IF I'M CAUSING NO HARM WHY SHOULD IT BOTHER YOU?"
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Thought the energy of the crowd and the band responding to that energy was great. Very Greatest Hits friendly set. Not complaining at all, but I have a feeling night 2 is gonna be better and have some more rare stuff. Can't wait for night two. Watching from the 9th row was pretty amazing!!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • RiotAct10 wrote:

don't tell me what i can and can't do at a concert. you are not the king and i didn't vote for you.

it's not the band's decision to cut alcohol sales it's the venue's.
  • dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    sometimes venues will cut alcohol sales because of the band and their crowd if it's an expected rowdy crowd etc. That said I saw Van Halen there (don't laugh) and there were many more drunk fans drinking the whole time.

As for the show I posted on the fanview thread. Yeah back of the floor is not good. Except it probably sounds better. 300# is not going to get you good seats until those in the 100s die. seriously.

I bought behind the stage to be safe (bgivens came through with great 10C seats for me though) so I just gave the ticket to some dude for nothing. But if you were behind the stage (i bought on TM two days prior) you'd be closer in proximity than 12th row fan club seats!. and they have stacks of amps facing backwards.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    Milestone wrote:
    Exactly. Not to mention chugging wine until the end.

news flash! Ed does not drive after the show.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Hey the band does it as a favor to you. So you dont have to get up and take a piss in the middle of the 1st encore. In Albany they had like two concession stands. And was like 40 minutes for a beer when MMJ was playing and rite after there set. I gave up and was sober and just got high off the music and maybe alittle second hand smoke.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    So I guess people hate me now because they think Im imposing some sort of anti alcohol propaganda. Someone mentioned this is the United Centers policy. I would guess you are wrong. I work at a major concert venue in Columbus, Oh, and it is almost always up the band. Some bands take it off at a certain time. Some do it after the main set, but its almost always the band and their managments descion. In fact Im pretty sure someone from one of the Toronto shows said there was a sign that said something like, "Due to the bands request, Alcohol sales will stop at..." So if you want to hate someone, hate Pearl Jam I guess.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • RiotAct10 wrote:
    So I guess people hate me now because they think Im imposing some sort of anti alcohol propaganda. Someone mentioned this is the United Centers policy. I would guess you are wrong. I work at a major concert venue in Columbus, Oh, and it is almost always up the band. Some bands take it off at a certain time. Some do it after the main set, but its almost always the band and their managments descion. In fact Im pretty sure someone from one of the Toronto shows said there was a sign that said something like, "Due to the bands request, Alcohol sales will stop at..." So if you want to hate someone, hate Pearl Jam I guess.

it is the venue's decision to stop sales at the START of PJ's set...that is NOT PJ's policy...otherwise beer would not have flowed into the 1st set in TORONTO

don't you get it?
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I thought the show and venue were great. One of the better shows I've seen I thought. Definately better than the Hartford show the other night. It did help I was front row of the wing of the section nearest to Mike, compared to nearly in the grass the other night in Hartford using a friends 10c tix.
    tacos
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    You should be able to get enough beer into yourself to have fun before Pearl Jam hits the stage. I bet if this was a "what song do you take a piss break during" thread half the folks in here who are complaining about no beer sales during PJ's sets would say "Hell no, I just hold it. Can't miss a second."

Basically, I have zero patience for drunk people as they ruined my poster last night and repeatedly fell into me during the first 8 songs. Instead of getting to listen to my favorite song for the first time after 20 concerts (Low Light) I had to deal with some drunkards. Luckily they pissed off so many people they got kicked out. Drive into a wall for all I care, just don't hurt anyone else.