Options

Is Sirens the most polarizing PJ song ever?!

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think Im on the fence about it. The more I hear it, I kind of like it... I dont think I have much interest in its inclusion on set lists.

I felt that way about Speed of Sound though too...
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,691
    I don't know...I remember No Code being pretty polarizing. Good thing about No Code was it kinda filtered out the fair weather fans...and us true fans are still here. I like Sirens...it has a nice feel to it.

No Code was polarizing and did weed out the true fans of the band. The problem is people have expectations of what Pearl Jam should sound like to THEM instead of what Pearl Jam should sound like to the members of Pearl Jam. I'm just grateful that these five guys allow me to share the music they create for themselves...because, after all, it's their creation and they don't need or have to share it. They let us along for the ride and it's a blessing. THANK YOU, PJ! CAN'T WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER 15TH! 8-)
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,142
    No, it's the most Nickelback-esque song ever.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    Just wait until the album comes out! The beginning of the Ten Club civil war

Pissing my pants laughing right now!!!!!!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the song... but I'm old school, I'm always waiting to listen to the album to get a better idea on how the song fits in with all the other songs.

I know, some kids probably don't know what an "album" is anymore... Where is this world going...?!!!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Black10Black10 Posts: 160
    Blockhead wrote:
    justam wrote:
    Frankly, I like it when they get inspired to try something different. It's healthy to change sometimes! I feel that fans that complain about the band too much are exactly like old friends that try to keep their friends from growing. It's WRONG to do that to others!
    Wrong...
    Fugazi didn't shit the bed when they got older, In fact The Argument is probably one of their best albums.
    Fugazi knew when their time was up
    Some bands know how to evolve musically/creatively (or know the effort)
    Pearl Jam is not one of those bands, Since 2003 we have had (almost) 3 albums of rehashed riffs and basically tribute covers to bands that they look up to...As well as horrendous album art work.

As a fan of the last couple albums, I hope the band continues to "shit the bed" going forward. I hope they have a severe case of full blown diarrhea on their next album.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Have not listened waiting for the album.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    Jar Jar loves it!

Q0oVy8G.jpg
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Options
    somebodyelsessky2020somebodyelsessky2020 Posts: 1,173
    edited September 2013
    justam wrote:
    Frankly, I like it when they get inspired to try something different. It's healthy to change sometimes! I feel that fans that complain about the band too much are exactly like old friends that try to keep their friends from growing. It's WRONG to do that to others!

Thing is...the one thing different in this whole scenario is that PJ has never done a song in a style like Nickleback does a song. Tailor made for radio or movie soundtracks. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so horrible musically. The country guitar twang sound and the piano key hurt my ears and have scarred me for life :lol:

Different is innovative is growing is something new. This is a step backwards IMO
    Post edited by somebodyelsessky2020 on
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    justam wrote:

Thing is...the one thing different in this whole scenario is that PJ has never done a song in a style like Nickleback does a song. Taylor made for radio or movie soundtracks. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so horrible musically. The country guitar twang sound and the piano key hurt my ears and have scarred me for life :lol:

Different is innovative is growing is something new. This is a step backwards IMO

I think Pearl Jam is putting all those bands they draw comparisons to with this song to shame! Ed's vocals and sincerity is showing everyone how a song like this is SUPPOSED to be delivered

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    Sirens reminds me of an '80's power ballad. Like from Firehouse, Damn Yankees, etc...
  • Options
    Edge34Edge34 Ottawa Posts: 233
    Sirens reminds me of an '80's power ballad. Like from Firehouse, Damn Yankees, etc...
    I am trying to give this song the benefit of the doubt because it is a PJ song but I completely agree with you. If Nickelback released this song people would be hatin'. I listened to it probably 30 or 40 times in the last two days. I do think that when it hits radio it will be a huge hit but, I don't considered that a good thing.
  • Options
    Edge34 wrote:
    I am trying to give this song the benefit of the doubt because it is a PJ song but I completely agree with you. If Nickelback released this song people would be hatin'. I listened to it probably 30 or 40 times in the last two days. I do think that when it hits radio it will be a huge hit but, I don't considered that a good thing.

But what is wrong with that? Whats wrong with them having a #1 or a BIG radio hit?? Just curious as to why folks are so opposed/scared of this?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    justam wrote:

Thing is...the one thing different in this whole scenario is that PJ has never done a song in a style like Nickleback does a song. Taylor made for radio or movie soundtracks. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so horrible musically. The country guitar twang sound and the piano key hurt my ears and have scarred me for life :lol:

I think Pearl Jam is putting all those bands they draw comparisons to with this song to shame! Ed's vocals and sincerity is showing everyone how a song like this is SUPPOSED to be delivered

Oh yes of course Ed's voice is superior and always has been...Ok so it's a good voice over, with a few bad inflections but it's still a horrible song, musically for me. Lots of people love it though and I'm happy they can, I wish I could.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Just wait until the album comes out! The beginning of the Ten Club civil war

:lol::lol:
    Fuckdamn...and we all know PJ hates the south. We're screwed. :fp:

You ain't wrong, brother.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    Edge34Edge34 Ottawa Posts: 233
    If Pearl Jam landed a number #1 with Present Tense, Sleight of Hand or Inside Job I would be all for it. I just feel that this particular song is pretty generic and cookie cutter as to how to have a #1 single. Having said that I love this band, have pre-ordered the album, am very much looking forward to hearing the rest of the album, will continue to see as many shows as I can and will never give up my membership. This song just doesn't strike that chord with me.
  • Options
    Edge34 wrote:

But what is wrong with that? Whats wrong with them having a #1 or a BIG radio hit?? Just curious as to why folks are so opposed/scared of this?

I'd be surprised if this ever became a big radio hit and they already have one right now with MYM I think it's currently number 2 and there's nothing at all wrong with that song.

I don't think anyone has any problems with PJ being radio superstars and having every song on the radio. This one is just a little embarrassing IMHO.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    [quoted comments removed by Admin. We do not discuss stolen/leaked material. See the Posting Guidelines.]

Have you thought about maybe spending your time on another band? I mean that with all due respect. Life's too short to waste on entertainment options you don't enjoy.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    edited September 2013
    I can see why: it's a single, it's really the only song out there right now, and I guess it's just not for everyone.

I liked it at first listen, and like it even more now.

Lyrically, I think it's excellent and I feel like I can relate to it on a personal level. I guess that's why it works for me.

Musically, it's pretty cool and I have a feeling, like most PJ songs, it's going to come off even better in a live setting.
    Post edited by teeman on
  • Options
    Edge34 wrote:

That's the thing. You could give Nickelback a million years and they could never write this song. They might be able to write a song that *sounds* like this song, but they wouldn't be able to write this song. It's too deep, and Chad Kroeger is too stupid.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    [quoted comments removed by Admin. We do not discuss stolen/leaked material. See the Posting Guidelines.]

:lol: That is a huge assumption. I've heard them, and like them, and think you are wrong. But I guess we will see in a month.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

I'd be surprised if this ever became a big radio hit and they already have one right now with MYM I think it's currently number 2 and there's nothing at all wrong with that song.

I don't think anyone has any problems with PJ being radio superstars and having every song on the radio. This one is just a little embarrassing IMHO.

Embarrassing how?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Have you thought about maybe spending your time on another band? I mean that with all due respect. Life's too short to waste on entertainment options you don't enjoy.

Thanks for the advice and you're right. Life is too short. But I'm still trying to process this and it's interesting to read what others think of the new stuff. I'll always have the Pearl Jam records I like and can ignore this one. To your point though, yes, I will be moving on and not reading or posting on here any more. I'm not happy about that because I've made a lot of friends here and I like so many of you but I'm no longer interested in Pearl Jam's output and don't have anything positive to add any longer.
  • Options

You know I respect you, O22. I've been reading your posts awhile now and you've always been intelligent with what you say and basically respectful when you say it. But I sure hope you're wrong. Not only about the album, not only about fans leaving in droves (which would be a shame), but about our band being dead. These are the same guys that wrote all the stuff we love. I just can't believe there's not one redeeming song in the whole lot for you. Please. Say it ain't so, O.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Embarrassing how?
    Yeah..good question....seems some pj fans thinks are so badass and underground cis they think they are fans of a not popular band....yeah right...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Embarrassing how?

Have you seen the comparisons and heard the song?

I think Pink Floyd was one of the only good bands I've seen mentioned and that was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,841

I truly hope you are correct and that many of the people with 10C numbers lower than me decide to let their membership lapse. I love the new stuff and the old stuff and think the live shows will have a perfect mix of both.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options

Embarrassing how?

Have you seen the comparisons and heard the song?

I think Pink Floyd was one of the only good bands I've seen mentioned and that was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h

Life tends to work out better when you don't care what other people think.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,638
    i just have to comment on the nickelback comparisons. that has got to be the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. opinions about whether you like it or not aside, this is nothing like nickelback. the only similarity that i could slightly see, is that the song might be a bit over-produced depending on your taste. but even being over-produced, it's still not produced like a nickelback song. and nickelback could never make a song like this. even if i end up hating this song, i'll never stray from that statement.

right now, i'm liking it more and more with each listen.

people need to relax and let the songs sink into their brains before making rash declarations about their feelings for them. i loved just breathe the first time i heard it, but now i can't stand it and wish it would be retired.

i thought riot act was a mediocre album at best when i first heard it, now it's one of my favorites. time is the only factor for determining someones like-dislike for a piece of art. the best ones are the ones that stick with you over the years. it wasn't until late 2010 that i finally figured out that backspacer wasn't for me. and it wasn't until recently that i determined avocado was actually a pretty solid album.

give it a chance or move on to something that can give you immediate gratification if that's what you're looking for.
  • Options
    Lifted wrote:
    i just have to comment on the nickelback comparisons. that has got to be the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. opinions about whether you like it or not aside, this is nothing like nickelback. the only similarity that i could slightly see, is that the song might be a bit over-produced depending on your taste. but even being over-produced, it's still not produced like a nickelback song. and nickelback could never make a song like this. even if i end up hating this song, i'll never stray from that statement.

right now, i'm liking it more and more with each listen.

people need to relax and let the songs sink into their brains before making rash declarations about their feelings for them. i loved just breathe the first time i heard it, but now i can't stand it and wish it would be retired.

i thought riot act was a mediocre album at best when i first heard it, now it's one of my favorites. time is the only factor for determining someones like-dislike for a piece of art. the best ones are the ones that stick with you over the years. it wasn't until late 2010 that i finally figured out that backspacer wasn't for me. and it wasn't until recently that i determined avocado was actually a pretty solid album.

give it a chance or move on to something that can give you immediate gratification if that's what you're looking for.

I agree with everything in the post. Except for the Just Breathe thing. That song remains awesome. :)