Off the Earth left off LP?

eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
edited September 2013 in The Porch
Was 'Off the Earth' removed/left out of Lightning Bolt or was it never going to be on it. As a lot of posts had it included in the final tracklist. Any ideas?

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gotsome420gotsome420 Posts: 528
    Never was supposed to be, it's a great tune though! Lost dogs 2 can't come quick enough.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    gotsome420 wrote:
    Never was supposed to be,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I find it amazing that so many people cant grasp the concept that this song wont be on the new album.

This is coming from someone who still has never had the desire to listen to the song :lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    When I hear it on PJ Radio it sounds like "Of the Earth", :-? not "Off the Earth"...........
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • it was all pure speculation and hope that it would be. Ed has stated a few times that they have never been successful at capturing what they intended when they record it, hence it only being a live song. I'm fine with that. I think it's neat when a band writes a song and plays it live, never having heard a recorded version.

brings me back to the 90's when you'd hear b sides live without ever hearing them on a cd/tape.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    bgirl59 wrote:
    When I hear it on PJ Radio it sounds like "Of the Earth", :-? not "Off the Earth"...........
    3s3o1q.jpg
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Its a B-Side from seven years ago. It was left off the album just like everything off of Lost Dogs was left of their respective albums. Anybody claiming it would be on the new album was just guessing.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Whether it was "supposed" ( :roll: ) to be on it or not, it's one of the best songs they've come up with in the last decade, so I can understand the disappointment.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    gotsome420 wrote:
    Never was supposed to be, it's a great tune though! Lost dogs 2 can't come quick enough.

i agree on that lost dogs 2 concept
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I was hoping for it too but after thinking about it more, I'm kind of happy it's not. Maybe it made room for another song and in that light we should remember that most, if not all, PJ songs are better live than studio so odds are it would be a downgrade from what we already know.
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    JTH wrote:
    bgirl59 wrote:
    3s3o1q.jpg

:roll: :lolno: busted. .....wanted to keep this one going for a while, to get other opinions...I'm not crazy about the song, glad they kept it off and can't wait to hear the new songs.....peace :)
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Not a fan of the tune. It deserved to be a Bside unlike Down, Fatal or Sad
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i'd say it's a song that's "just there"

not the greatest, not the worst, it's just there

i also really like the idea of them writing songs in between albums that show up in setlists...honestly, you'd think there would be a LOT more of those
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Its a B-Side from seven years ago.

Technically its an outtake or unreleased track. Not a b-side.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I find it amazing that so many people cant grasp the concept that this song wont be on the new album.

This is coming from someone who still has never had the desire to listen to the song :lol:

It is at least better than 2 of the songs on the new album, Future Days and Lightning Bolt.
  • corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited August 2013
    It would have been better to have Of The Earth on Lightning Bolt instead of Sleeping By Myself.
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012

It is at least better than 2 of the songs on the new album, Future Days and Lightning Bolt.

How you compare a song like future days to of the earth is beyond me...

Future days vs just breathe

Lightning bolt vs unthought known

Now that's a debate

And I enjoyed Lightning Bolt at Wrigley but think the studio will be even better
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Imagine the reaction of the pro Of the Earth supporters if It was left off for Sleeping by Myself. Which in itself is causing a bit of debate!

The positive thing is that I'm sure it will still get live AirPlay this tour!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Eddie said on an interview that it´s a song to remain as a live act, and compared it to some tunes from The Who that never made any album..
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    when MYM became available many people didn't like it, some because it's a punk rock tune, some because it wasn't appealing to them. Among all the gibberish written, I came up with the idea that MYM might be a re worked, revamped and refurbished Olé. So far, I don't know. Is it possible that Ole evolved into MYM? or are they two different songs? who knows? So, to round it up, what if Of the earth evolved into another of the songs revealed yesterday? IMO, OTE is as good as it is in itself, it has been left out since Avocado sessions, but I don't know if it has "album material"...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    when MYM became available many people didn't like it, some because it's a punk rock tune, some because it wasn't appealing to them. Among all the gibberish written, I came up with the idea that MYM might be a re worked, revamped and refurbished Olé. So far, I don't know. Is it possible that Ole evolved into MYM? or are they two different songs? who knows? So, to round it up, what if Of the earth evolved into another of the songs revealed yesterday? IMO, OTE is as good as it is in itself, it has been left out since Avocado sessions, but I don't know if it has "album material"...

Thats highly likely

Like crapshoot rapture became comatose

And the end of ole and mym are very similar
  • I was really hoping on the "Of the Earth" song on the new LP. Oh well...
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    It's a hidden track to shut all the whiners up....
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    cp3iverson wrote:
    Not a fan of the tune. It deserved to be a Bside unlike Down, Fatal or Sad
    No, "Down" is rightfully a B-side because it doesn't really fit in with the rest of Riot Act.

But it's borderline criminal that the other two you mentioned were left off Binaural.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I never understood why anyone ever thought OTE would be on the album. They've been performing it for three years already. If they had ever intended for it to be on an album they wouldn't have started performing it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • xsmytxxsmytx Posts: 162
    what a bunch of bitches..since when do fans get to pick the songs on the albums? STFU already
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    CROJAM95 wrote:

Thats highly likely

Like crapshoot rapture became comatose

And the end of ole and mym are very similar

I disagree - the only real thing that changed from "crapshoot rapture" to "comatose" was the title. They're the same song. I don't think Olé evolved into MYM, because Mike's video on YouTube has him explaining how he developed the specific riff for MYM, and it is nothing like Olé. The styles are similar, but that's about it.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • One thing I have never got was how willing they are to keep some killer tunes off of the albums.

Like to me Sad kicks the crap out of at least a third of what is on Binaural and it certainty would have fit

The recently discovered s/t B-sides that for some reason we aren't allowed to namedrop kick the crap out of most of the Avacado album and hell I even like them more than some of Backspacer

Of The Earth is a killer track, if they don't think they can do it justice in the studio so be it but I am just guessing I will end up preferring this tune to a few of the tracks that end up on LB - simply basing this off of my personal trend here
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    good i cant stand the song
    danny d
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Not dissappointed its not on the record but I hope a studio version shows up somewhere. It's one of my favorite songs they've ever done. Hope its released as a bside or on its own or something. Fucking awesome jam!