Options

Whatcha' think of this?...........

edited August 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... hmond.html

A photo circulating on social media reportedly showing a woman holding a young boy urinating into a garbage bin at a Richmond, B.C., mall has sparked a debate on public etiquette, cultural norms and parenting.

A flurry of responses has erupted on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook and message forums around the world. As well, the mall has said it plans to look at ways to prevent such actions.

Richmond Centre mall said in an emailed statement to CBC News: "Given that we have these facilities throughout the common areas of the mall, we don't have any formal regulation or signage warning customers not to urinate, defecate or expectorate on the property. We are currently looking at this matter and ways to prevent similar occurrences in the future."

Social media users, meanwhile, have been poking fun at the image..

"#why would you let your child pee in the mall bins? They have toilets," says a tweet by DonMunnu.

"If kids get to pee in garbage cans in the mall then I see know reason why I can't," says another tweet, from MentalityMagazine.

Common practice in China?
Many forums also held questionable debates about immigrant behaviour and Chinese cultural norms. Social media users, including many who identified themselves as being of Chinese heritage, said they believed the woman and child in the photo were Chinese.

"I knew they were Asian before I even clicked the link. This is a fairly common occurrence in China," wrote Reddit user LaunchThePolaris.

In many parts of rural China, the practice of young children going to the bathroom in public is deemed as widespread, with toddlers and babies wearing pants with slits rather than diapers, said Jonathan Manthorpe, a foreign correspondent who has lived and worked in the country.

"A few years ago, they were living very rough lives of peasants. I'm sure all of your viewers who have travelled in rural China will see, as I have seen, in many places that the standards of toilets is very different," Manthorpe told CBC News.

But Queenie Choo, CEO for SUCCESS, a Vancouver immigrant group, disagreed.

"I have travelled to China and I don't think there is common practice in any city that I have observed."

This photo of a boy peeing into a garbage bin at the Richmond Centre Mall has gone viral. (Vancity Buzz/Twitter user @brandonbeavis)Some readers argued urinating in public is not an Asian or Chinese issue alone.

"I've seen tons of Caucasian adults peeing everywhere. Never an Asian (yet). This is fairly commonplace in Asia though so while I agree its deplorable, its not like this an ingrained Chinese thing," wrote one reader in response to the Vancity Buzz post.

Parenting practices questioned
Others turned the debate into an issue about parenting.

Another Vancity Buzz reader wrote: "why don't we turn this around into a positive. A little boy needed to pee and better than him wetting his pants or the ground you walk on. At least he went into a lined container!!! When little children need to go they really need to go."

Miranda Chiasson, a mother in Mission, B.C., told CBC News there is also a growing trend in North America to practise what's called "elimination communication" with infants and toddlers — instead of using diapers, parents learn to read the cues their child needs to use the bathroom, and respond.

"I would say that scene is a mother practising elimination communication with her child," she said.

"He's signalled to her, cued to her, let her know in some way that he needs to pee right now. And she's seen that there's not really a park or a grassy place to take him so she's taken the best advantage of what's around her."

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I think it's disgusting ... really don't care what the cultural norms are back home, in Canada when sober we don't urinate in garbage pails. In some cultures apparently dog and cat are fair game ... not in Canada.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Richmond Centre mall said in an emailed statement to CBC News: "Given that we have these facilities throughout the common areas of the mall, we don't have any formal regulation or signage warning customers not to urinate, defecate or expectorate on the property. We are currently looking at this matter and ways to prevent similar occurrences in the future."

"

:lol::lol::lol: wouldn't think you'd need signage for this ... welcome to 2013 Canada.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    Poor kid, is there no privacy in this world...takin' a splashdown n'sum perv comes up and snaps you mid flow. He'll end up on a documentary one day with the boy off the Nevermind cover... :fp:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Couple of thoughts...

I'm generally of the "when in Rome" mindset. If living here ("here" meaning wherever), these types of standards should be known. If visiting, they should be communicated.

Aside from the nasty/smelly/unsanitary side of it, surely the (typically?) universally-known "bathroom" signs are all over? Also, wouldn't the little kid either be wearing a diaper or be potty-trained at that point?

(ps to lukin - loved your "when sober" disclaimer :P )
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    was this in front of a wal-mart ? :lol: ...I can see it now "kid's of wal-mart" :lol::lol::lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    I don't think anything of it. I find it weird, but god, what fucking weirdo takes a picture of that?

fucking perv.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,686
    Disgusting.

Reminds me of the time some guy from overseas was in the bookstore taking a leak in the bathroom (which is not a public bathroom but we let customers use it anyway) with the door wide open. I walked by not expecting to see this and shot the guy a look that said, "You might do that where you come from but don't do that shit here!"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I don't think anything of it. I find it weird, but god, what fucking weirdo takes a picture of that?

fucking perv.
    That was my first thought.
  • Options

fucking perv.
    It's funny - maybe sad? - that that wasn't my first thought, or even any train of thought of mine with this.

So much is snapped and filmed and aired and shared and vomited out these days.

I mean, look at some of the shit on TV or online - both intentionally staged or just happened upon - that's way worse and pervy (even embraced and celebrated).
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

fucking perv.
    It's funny - maybe sad? - that that wasn't my first thought, or even any train of thought of mine with this.

I mean, look at some of the shit on TV or online - both intentionally staged or just happened upon - that's way worse and pervy (even embraced and celebrated).

I think it's pretty sick that someone saw a small boy peeing and was quick enough with their thought of whipping out the phone and snapping a pic, and then circulating around the interwebs. they should trace it back to that fuck and circulate his picture around the web.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

I think it's pretty sick that someone saw a small boy peeing and was quick enough with their thought of whipping out the phone and snapping a pic, and then circulating around the interwebs. they should trace it back to that fuck and circulate his picture around the web.
    I also think it's odd - and intrusive - to go around taking photos of strangers, period. But that's what some of society has come to; look how many fights and other incidents are filmed/photographed, rather than the person with the camera trying to help in some way.