Options

LIVE (the band, not the action of a band)

WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
edited August 2013 in Other Music
I think that Live are an awesome band, REALLY kind of disappointed that they got rid of Ed on vocals. It's just not the same :cry: It's also kind of a bummer that a lot of people hate this band because they contribute them to the wave of bands that were trying to be "grunge" or "post-grunge" (even though i really don't enjoy that term). This doesn't make sense to me considering their first album came out IN 1991 so they couldn't possibly have been trying to "copy" anybody.

Anyways, I love the band (with Ed Kowalczyk). Your thoughts?
446927_artist.jpg?0119
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I think the first two CDs I ever bought, and really the first albums I bought at all that weren't by Weird Al, were Dookie and Throwing Copper. I still like Throwing Copper, lot of nostalgia. Lightning Crashes was so overplayed when it was big, to the point it made me want to throw up, that I didn't listen to it for years. And I'd skip over it on the album, then I heard it for the first time in 15 years probably the other day, and it was a rush of nostalgia.

I really enjoyed Secret Samadhi too, Lakini's Juice was overplayed but I never tired of it, and several other good songs there too. So both those albums were big for me as a teenager, but after that I stopped following them. Haven't heard a song of theirs since, besides that one that was big around 9/11 on the radio.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Live was great until Ed started making them a religious band. Ed K solo? he's just a self righteous prick.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I really love live!

I owned throwing copper since 93-94, secret sadamhi from release day and the distance to here also from release Date.

Throwing copper had some amazing songs

Tha dam... Really good build up and very good musicians on focus here..

White discussion made me want to be, and become a drummer. That song is SICK live and one of my favorites by them.

Saw them live on 1996 when I was 14, downpour at the woodlands in Texas, but great show! Fortunate to have been there.

Really love the 3 albums mentioned above and always will.
  • Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    they are one of the few bands whom I have seen live (no pun intended)whenever they had played the UK... I first saw them supporting PIL in 92 (i think) and saw them in a small venue in London on the Throwing copper tour with about 300 other people...

personally I think that Kowalcyck leaving / being kicked out is the best thing that's ever happened to the band. He became an egotist and the last 3 albums were utter piffle, with every song being 4 minutes of verse chorus verse. His solo stuff proves he was the one trying to control the band. I'm chuffed that Chris Shinn is now the vocalist and from every youtube video on the new tour they seem back to as they were... I believe the new album is nearly ready to go.....
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    Secret Samadhi and The Distance to Here are two of the best rock albums of the 90s IMO. Unfortunately, as has been noted, Ed's descent into religious mumbo jumbo only got worse and worse as the years went on as he steered the band away from hard rock with a thoughtful spiritual edge, to preachy Christian pop rock.

I'm glad he's gone now and I wish them all the best with their new singer. Ed was fantastic once upon a time, but I'm not precious about this sort of thing, if they put out a good album i'll buy it regardless of who sings.
  • Options
    Im a big Live fan too, agreed its not the same without Ed on vocals (Ive seen Ed solo really great performance) I feel Throwing Copper is one of the best albums of the nineties. I kinda went off live a bit after The Distance To Here they went a bit "soft" and too Spiritual for my liking
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Live was great until Ed started making them a religious band. Ed K solo? he's just a self righteous prick.

I knew a guy in high school who saw them around '97 or so, and he was talking about that. I didn't know if he was just being over-sensitive because he was Christian or what (he was a pretty level headed kid though, and one of the smartest at school), but he was telling me the Monday morning at school after he saw the show that Ed was basically pushing some sort of Eastern religion on the audience. He enjoyed the show, but whatever Ed said bothered him.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options

I knew a guy in high school who saw them around '97 or so, and he was talking about that. I didn't know if he was just being over-sensitive because he was Christian or what (he was a pretty level headed kid though, and one of the smartest at school), but he was telling me the Monday morning at school after he saw the show that Ed was basically pushing some sort of Eastern religion on the audience. He enjoyed the show, but whatever Ed said bothered him.

It's not the Eastern spirituality thing most Live fans are complaining about, his lyrics were influenced by Buddhism and other such philosophies at the height of their success and most Live fans agree this was their best period musically as well, the music has severely declined over the last 3 albums since he became a Christian.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a Christian, but it just hasn't done his songwriting any good.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Great band! Love the new direction they are taking with Chris Shinn.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Yeah, really good band until the V album. Caught them live on the SS tour. Throwing Copper was played to death in my car when it came out. Sounds a bit dated now tho
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    Yeah, really good band until the V album. Caught them live on the SS tour. Throwing Copper was played to death in my car when it came out. Sounds a bit dated now tho[/quott

The lyrics on V are just strange to me. I didn't buy any of the records in between SS and V...might need to check them out some time.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

The lyrics on V are just strange to me. I didn't buy any of the records in between SS and V...might need to check them out some time.

There's only one record in between those two, The Distance to Here, and it is very good.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:

There's only one record in between those two, The Distance to Here, and it is very good.

Agreed. Their unplugged show was quality too. Never released I think
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,839
    I saw them open for Bon Jovi. 8-)
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    picked up Throwing Copper on vinyl when it was re-released, its one of those classic 1995 era albums that I remember playing alot.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    picked up Throwing Copper on vinyl when it was re-released, its one of those classic 1995 era albums that I remember playing alot.

Same here - just recently. The limited coloured edition.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    They really lucked out getting Chris Shinn in the band. I'm a big fan of his, so I'm really looking forward to the new album. In the meantime everyone should check out his previous projects. There is a live version of his song "bound" from his solo album somewhere on you tube that's just unbelievable!
  • Options
    pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    So is there a new album coming out anytime soon? Or are they working on one? I can't find any info.
  • Options
    So is there a new album coming out anytime soon? Or are they working on one? I can't find any info.

Yes, they are working on and I think are near finished with a new record. Follow Shinn on Instagram and he has posted pics of him in the studio with the band over the last year.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited August 2013
    I just saw Live with the new Vocalist, (Chris Shinn). It was a descent show, but it felt like watching a cover band. They played the summerland tour with Everclear, Filter and Sponge. I had a good time, and love Lives first couple of albums. I even have Ed's solo album, which was ok. I enjoyed the Gracious Few a lot more. Gracious Few is Basically all of Live with Kevin Martin of Candlebox on vocals. (Sean of Candlebox may be in the band too), I think they should have stuck to that personally. However the guys, in Live, want to play those songs again, and I respect that they want to still be a band. I just wish Ed and the guys could resolve things, but doesn't seem like that's going to happen. I guess my mind will be finally made up when they get some new material out, and then maybe I'll like this change a bit more. Chris Shinn is a very good vocalist though.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    The Gracious Few was one of the rock albums of the year in 2010 IMO. Really good riffs, not much of a Candlebox fan, but that guy has a good set of pipes and sounds amazing on TGFs album.

Gives me hope for a new Live album though, as those guys are the core musicians. Take Ed away, and they suddenly knocked it out of the park.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    The Gracious Few was one of the rock albums of the year in 2010 IMO. Really good riffs, not much of a Candlebox fan, but that guy has a good set of pipes and sounds amazing on TGFs album.

Gives me hope for a new Live album though, as those guys are the core musicians. Take Ed away, and they suddenly knocked it out of the park.

they just posted a snippet of a new song on their FB page. sounds pretty fucking good - minus vocals though.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Throwing copper is an absolute faultless album,sounds as good today as it did on release,hundreds of times listened and still is gold
    There MTV unplugged is up there with the greatest unplugged/acoustic performances done ,in the PJ ,ALICE IN CHAINS ,STONE TEMPLE PiILOTS ,NIRVANA bracket IMO
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    weird how they had a new album out with Chris, and they basically pretend like it doesn't exist now that Ed is back in the band. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Man those reissues are fucking pricey. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Man those reissues are fucking pricey. 
    Standard black versions on Amazon for $33 and $24, respectively.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    edited May 2017
    weird how they had a new album out with Chris, and they basically pretend like it doesn't exist now that Ed is back in the band. 
    That makes total sense. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    That makes total sense. 
    I was saying that when I thought they had announced the reunion with Ed very soon after the release of the record with Chris. I was incorrect. It was 2 years. 

carry on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com