Options

"Jonny Bails Floatin" My new novel, now available!

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Jim Jarmusch would be the bomb :thumbup:

Best of luck, JonnyPistachio! I'm still reading it, usually while working out :lol: I'm taking it slow, cause I don't have another book lined up for after that and I don't want it to end ...
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

Best of luck, JonnyPistachio! I'm still reading it, usually while working out :lol: I'm taking it slow, cause I don't have another book lined up for after that and I don't want it to end ...

:D8-) Nice, thanks Leeze!
    It doesnt really end...haha just kidding.. no spoilers. :P

I am actually giving one character a cameo in my next novel...maybe. I'm not sure yet. I dont want it to be cheesy, but one person may show up in my next book.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

:D8-) Nice, thanks Leeze!
    It doesnt really end...haha just kidding.. no spoilers. :P

I am actually giving one character a cameo in my next novel...maybe. I'm not sure yet. I dont want it to be cheesy, but one person may show up in my next book.

Cool, I love that kind of stuff :thumbup:
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    How can we get an autographed copy? I keep forgetting to pick this one up. THIS WEEK!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    How can we get an autographed copy? I keep forgetting to pick this one up. THIS WEEK!

PM me your address. I can mail you one. I have about ten copies at home if anyone wants one! :mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:

PM me your address. I can mail you one. I have about ten copies at home if anyone wants one! :mrgreen:
    I already have mine. Waiting for my trip to LA before Thanksgiving to start reading. I should have invited you with my extra ticket to WSP in south beach last night, forgot :fp: . Your in WPB, no. We should get together at some point soon, you can sign your book then 8-) . Down here in Deerfield Beach. Should be "cool" hanging with the "author" ;) . Hopefully soon.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    LukinFan wrote:

Awesome! PM sent
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    I already have mine. Waiting for my trip to LA before Thanksgiving to start reading. I should have invited you with my extra ticket to WSP in south beach last night, forgot :fp: . Your in WPB, no. We should get together at some point soon, you can sign your book then 8-) . Down here in Deerfield Beach. Should be "cool" hanging with the "author" ;) . Hopefully soon.

WSP, no shit! I saw them live once in the 90's and it was awesome. Im not too familiar with their songs, but they put on a good show. I wouldnt be able to make it down there on weekdays, but thanks dude.

We should hang sometime. I work in Boca Raton, so Deerfield isnt far.. we could shoot the shit about Pj sometime at happy hour if you want! If you wanna get together after thanksgiving that would be good...By then I might have a little something I plan on giving out for free to people who bought the book. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    saw this and of course made me think of your book..... :mrgreen:

http://thechive.com/2013/11/19/biolumin ... 26-photos/

This link is safe for work but other stuff on that site might not be work "safe".

i love the packers
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    LukinFan wrote:

I would love to have one if you still have some. I bought it first on the kindle, I don't think signing that will work.
    I win.
  • Options
    saw this and of course made me think of your book..... :mrgreen:

http://thechive.com/2013/11/19/biolumin ... 26-photos/

This link is safe for work but other stuff on that site might not be work "safe".

i love the packers

Awesome pics, thanks fro sharing cubBEE! :mrgreen:
    did you ever see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUbIWqiynBY (gets interesting around 1:00 mark)

This is cool too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJbUKEPgXc

:D
  • Options
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

I would love to have one if you still have some. I bought it first on the kindle, I don't think signing that will work.

:lol: I just got another shipment in, so I'd love to send you one! PM the address :D
  • Options
    Here's a nice article QandA from the Florida NewTimes:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/count ... rist_j.php

They are a paper focused on music, so it goes in depth about song writing as well.

**Folks who bought Jonny Bails Floatin, keep an eye on this tread in the coming weeks, I'd like to send you a free music related gift when I receive a special shipment. :D
  • Options
    Another review that stirred my curiosity. For those of you who have read the book, do you think it takes too long to resolve the action from the first chapter? (spoilers) This reviewer gave a very nice review but he said he didnt like how long it took to resolve the action from the beginning. That was one of my favorite aspects!

Here's the review from keepingdreams.com:

"Disclosure: I was given my copy of this book by the
    author as a review copy.

Well paced adventure that will make you wonder what the possibilities could be.

This is the story of a musician, a really talented musician and his friends. He runs into strange things at times, among them bales of marijuana. It is also a love story, for he is in love with his music and with a girl. Jonny discovers he has a case of bioluminescence, which causes some challenges.

I found this to be an easy reading book. I really like the way the author leads up to the romance of Jonny and his girlfriend. Much of this author's talent is in the way he does not tell you everything. You, the reader, will discover things in the story, without being told directly. I was not pleased that it took much of the book to determine what the beginning was leading up to.

This is a fun book to read. The reader is taken on a wonderful journey of the Florida Keys, and the nightlife present there.

This is a great story for science fiction readers that do not want another space story. It will keep the reader earth-bound, yet fascinated with the possibilities the author presents. I would hope the author will write a sequel to this book."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    No, honestly I thought it was well paced but then I don't mind that not everything is given up front in a novel. I like to see things unfold. How's the next one coming along, Jon?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

No, honestly I thought it was well paced but then I don't mind that not everything is given up front in a novel. I like to see things unfold. How's the next one coming along, Jon?

Thanks Brian! I did really appreciate this line too:
    "Much of this author's talent is in the way he does not tell you everything."

In English/creative writing classes I was always told I wasn't being descriptive enough. Now I fear being overly descriptive. Thankfully, I didnt think about it too much while writing Jonny Bails, and things seem to have turned out OK.

As far as the next one, I was burning through it until a few weeks ago. Up to about page 150...maybe 1/3 completed. But I seem to have hit a brick wall. Now i'll go back and edit, then take a week away from it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    I liked that part.
    I am a huge George RR Martin fan and he writes from a character's perspective for a chapter and then moves to another character the next chapter. You never really know when he is going to get back to the character you are REALLY yearning to continue with and it is always a bit of a bummer to start the next character. Until you finish that chapter and then you want to know what will happen next with that character....and it keeps going until you demolished 300 pages in a night when you didnt pick the book up until midnight. This is how some of my favorite authors tease us as readers.

I guess it is one of those 'different strokes for different folks' types of things. Some people (my wife) want to know the whole story right away and hear every single word in a movie. Some people are content to take a trip with the writer and see where it takes them....and that is how I am. I gave you my attention and you took me on a fun ride into your world.

One of my creative writing teachers in college was TC Boyle (if you have not read him I think you would like his short stories after reading your work) and he used to encourage detail and description from his classes more than the other teachers. I do not think you were overly descriptive and I enjoyed the details provided.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited January 2014
    Next Amazon purchase I will get it! I meant to do this with my last Amazon purchase, but it slipped my mind. Looking forward to reading it! :)
    Also, there is someone (DailyDealsUSA) selling a used copy on Amazon.com for $999.11. image Wow, it must be really, REALLY good! image
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I just finished it and I really, really enjoyed it. It means a lot if I miss the characters and want to know how they did after the book ended ... It sparkled my imagination a lot. It reminded me a lot of the feeling that I had when I was reading Rum Diary by Thompson. I wanna know more about the characters. EXPAND, Jonny Pistachio... EXPAND!!!
  • Options
    lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738

I just finished it and I really, really enjoyed it. It means a lot if I miss the characters and want to know how they did after the book ended ... It sparkled my imagination a lot. It reminded me a lot of the feeling that I had when I was reading Rum Diary by Thompson. I wanna know more about the characters. EXPAND, Jonny Pistachio... EXPAND!!!

Lisa, this is exactly how I felt when I finished this book. I told JP I would like another book to see how the characters developed after this one. Really i think this would make a great series. Way to go JP...We love it!!
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • Options
    You guys are all too kind! Thanks so much, it means a lot to me.
    As I said a few times before, I missed the characters too -- so much that I wrote one in a cameo in my upcoming novel. And that cameo has expanded into a rather serious role. :)

F-me, I've been meaning to dive into some GRRM!
    And PJSoul, dont buy that $999 version, it isnt even a special edition, and nor is it signed! hehe :)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621

Highly recommend. A Game of Thrones will take over your life and the next you know you will be through the first 3 books. 4th and 5th are really good too but the first 3 just slay it.

The BOMB might fit in well in Westeros, although I suspect he would be killed by one of the crazies that rule there.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107

As I said a few times before, I missed the characters too -- so much that I wrote one in a cameo in my upcoming novel. And that cameo has expanded into a rather serious role. :)

And PJSoul, dont buy that $999 version, it isnt even a special edition, and nor is it signed! hehe :)

When shall we be seeing the new novel
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

Highly recommend. A Game of Thrones will take over your life and the next you know you will be through the first 3 books. 4th and 5th are really good too but the first 3 just slay it.

The BOMB might fit in well in Westeros, although I suspect he would be killed by one of the crazies that rule there.
    This is why I havent dove in yet! Im scared of getting too immersed right now! haha
    Soon! maybe this summer.
  • Options

When shall we be seeing the new novel
    I hope to release the next novel before the end of the year. Maybe late summer if everything goes well. I sped through 150 pages in about two months and did a few rounds of editing too, but hit a brick wall over the holidays and cant seem to get the momentum back. I will buckle down next week and hopefully start cranking it out on a regular basis again.
  • Options
    I apologize if this has already been posted, but thought you would all find it as cool as I did.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/p/3vrzwy
    I win.
  • Options
    hgpjam11 said:

I apologize if this has already been posted, but thought you would all find it as cool as I did.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/p/3vrzwy

Wow, those are amazing! I have not seen all of those pictures.
    Funny coincidence -- I've seen bioluminescence a few times, but it had been probably about ten years or more since I last saw it...then the week I released my novel - bam - I was walking the beach at midnight and saw the faint glow in the sand when I kicked at it. It was truly amazing and a sight to see.

I liked a FB page called amazing places (or something like that), and the pictures they post have made me desperately want to visit the Maldives. What a beautiful place...Now, there's another reason to go! :)
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Hooray, I read your book. It's super and when I finished I wanted to read another book about those characters. That's a pretty damn good sign. The whole bioluminescence thing is so wild and weird and beautiful. This really would make a great film. I can't wait to read your next book.
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

Hooray, I read your book. It's super and when I finished I wanted to read another book about those characters. That's a pretty damn good sign. The whole bioluminescence thing is so wild and weird and beautiful. This really would make a great film. I can't wait to read your next book.

Thanks Enkidu! :)

I am thinking about translating it to screenplay format. I think it would make a fun movie too...with some good visuals.
    I originally hadnt thought about a sequel, but its been on my mind lately. One supporting character has a cameo in my next unrelated novel...and actually that cameo has expanded into a pretty serious part. :)

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

• Options
    Can we start casting the film for you? Maybe Jeff Bridges is Jonny's friend (I can't remember his name now - Booker?)
    I win.