Options

Detroit Rock City

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Are any of you driving to and from Toronto the same day? Don't worry, I'm not trying to bum a ride from anyone. Instead, I am trying to rationalize a four-hour drive there (leaving the GTA at 3pm), arriving just in time for the show, only to to turn around and drive home immediately afterwards (staying the night isn't really an option, unfortunately).

Don't get me wrong, that 4 or so hours in Detroit would/will be magical. I guess I just need a pep talk and was hoping to get one here.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    rummy said:

Are any of you driving to and from Toronto the same day? Don't worry, I'm not trying to bum a ride from anyone. Instead, I am trying to rationalize a four-hour drive there (leaving the GTA at 3pm), arriving just in time for the show, only to to turn around and drive home immediately afterwards (staying the night isn't really an option, unfortunately).

Don't get me wrong, that 4 or so hours in Detroit would/will be magical. I guess I just need a pep talk and was hoping to get one here.

If your not cathcing any other shows this tour, I say do it or you'll reget it later after readings the boards and seeing how awesome the shows were, your gonna be pissed if you miss it and who knows when they will be back around again
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I often do the same (down and back) from Vancouver to Seattle for concerts and Seahawks games. Granted, it's only 2 - 2.5 hours each way as opposed to 4, but we always have a blast. I guess you need to ask yourself what will be more devastating, driving 8 hours, or missing PJ. I say go with your heart, see PJ, and then rest up over the weekend (after presumably working the Friday)!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    Getting pumped for this show! \m/
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,512
    rummy said:

Myself and a fellow Porch board member will be doing just that. Talked him into doing the same with me for the '11 Montreal show, and I did a repeat solo for the '11 Ottawa show.

However, if I'm able to secure a spare for Moline he and I will be driving separately and he'll be driving home after the show while I continue onwards.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,527
    edited September 2014
    Just be mindful of border times, and the fact that you'll be hitting Detroit around rush hour..With that being said, I've done it, I'll do it again - and it's worth it!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    grjammer said:

What the best bar to check out prior to the show? Cobo Joe's? Anchor Bar? Those appear to be the only two options close to the arena!

Can anyone answer this ^^^?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Anyone have suggestions for cheapest way to stay and get to arena.

Arriving on wed at detroit airport, leaving fri from airport. Might go to redwings game.

Thinking of staying near airport because of early fri flight. hotels seem expensive downtown and rental car is like $55 a day.

any suggestions/
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I can't believe I watched the whole thing
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    FlyingwFlyingw Brantford Posts: 443

It's been almost a year since I've been to a PJ show. AhhhHHHH! I can't believe it. Can't wait!

Same here!!! Countdown is on!

Aug 18/93 Toronto, May 9/06 Toronto, Sept 11/11 Toronto, Sept 15/11 Hamilton,
    July 16/13 London, Oct 12/13 Buffalo, Oct 17/14 Detroit,
    April 8/16, Ft. Lauderdale, April 9/16 Miami, May 8/16 Ottawa, May 10/16 Toronto
    May 11/16 Toronto, Aug 20/16 Wrigley, Aug 22/16 Wrigley, TOTD Nov 5/16 Philly
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
  • Options
    nosajh9nosajh9 Akron, Ohio Posts: 121
    they need to cover this song! that shit is gonna be stuck in my head all day
    9/22/96 Toledo, OH. 8/26/98 Cuyahoga Falls, OH. 8/21/00 Columbus, OH. 8/25/03 Cleveland, OH. 8/26/03 Pittsburgh, PA. 10/03/04 Grand Rapids, MI. 5/20/06 Cleveland, OH. 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, PA. 6/22/08 Washington, DC. 5/06/10 Columbus, OH. 5/09/10 Cleveland, OH. 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA.
  • Options
    Save WhoSave Who Posts: 294
    rummy said:

My wife and I did something similar for the Toronto I in 2011 and went back to Detroit right after the show. It was a long drive, but not too bad since there was no traffic. Load up your favorite bootleg for the way home and crank it up.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    It's so cold in the D!!!!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Save Who said:

rummy said:

My wife and I did something similar for the Toronto I in 2011 and went back to Detroit right after the show. It was a long drive, but not too bad since there was no traffic. Load up your favorite bootleg for the way home and crank it up.
    Thanks for the advice - to you and all the other respondents.

I lost my travel buddy just yesterday (wimped out, I guess) so things are still up in the air. Maybe seeing the upcoming setlists and board posts might revive my spirits.
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465

grjammer said:

What the best bar to check out prior to the show? Cobo Joe's? Anchor Bar? Those appear to be the only two options close to the arena!

Those are the 2 closest for sure. I don't care for Cobo Joe's myself, but Anchor Bar is really good. If you don't mind a 10-15 minute walk, there's a lot more options than those two that are very near the B-Dubs on Randolph and Monroe... if you don't want to walk you can always jump on the People Mover to get around the downtown loop. Used to do a People Mover Pub Crawl with a bunch of friends so all these spots are very near stops and there's a stop right at JLA.

-- The Well right next door to B-Dubs on Randolph; a fun "I wanna drink" place (Cadillac Square stop)
    -- Grand Trunk Pub on Woodward between Congress and Campus Martius; tons of great beers on tap (Financial District stop)
    -- Old Shillelagh on the corner of Brush and Monroe; fun Irish bar (Cadillac Square or Greektown stop)
    -- Park Bar on the corner of Park and Elizabeth; Bucharest Grille is attached to this place and has hands-down the best shwarma in the city for $4.25. (Grand Circus Park stop)
    -- Anchor Bar on Fort between Cass and First (Fort/Cass stop)
    -- The Detroiter on Beaubien and Fort; get a burger here (right across from the Bricktown stop)
    -- Jacoby's on Brush; awesome beer selection and German food right behind the Detroiter next to St. Andrew's Hall (Bricktown stop)

Just off the top of my head... I'll add more when I think of some more spots. These are usually the places I hit in the downtown area.

• Options
    Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Iso 1 10c ticket for the show
  • Options
    Driving down from Hamilton with a crew for the Detroit show. It's about a 3.5 hour drive. I'm FUCKING PUMPED!!! Let's do this!!!
    2003: Toronto
    2004: Boston 1
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (1&2)
    2007: LOLLAPALOOZA
    2008: Mansfield (1& 2), EV Toronto
    2009:Toronto
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV Detroit, East Troy (1&2), Toronto (1&2) Hamilton
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Detroit
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    Hey Detroit show-goers... I'm looking for two decent (or better) tickets to the show. It has been a four year uphill struggle, but my wife is finally really getting into Pearl Jam. She has agreed to go to the Detroit show...which will be her second show (Pittsburgh 2013 was her first). I'd like some good seats for her sake (I, personally, would be happy anywhere in the building). PM me if you GOT SOME.

Thanks!
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Motown322 said:

grjammer said:

Those are the 2 closest for sure. I don't care for Cobo Joe's myself, but Anchor Bar is really good. If you don't mind a 10-15 minute walk, there's a lot more options than those two that are very near the B-Dubs on Randolph and Monroe... if you don't want to walk you can always jump on the People Mover to get around the downtown loop. Used to do a People Mover Pub Crawl with a bunch of friends so all these spots are very near stops and there's a stop right at JLA.

-- The Well right next door to B-Dubs on Randolph; a fun "I wanna drink" place (Cadillac Square stop)
    -- Grand Trunk Pub on Woodward between Congress and Campus Martius; tons of great beers on tap (Financial District stop)
    -- Old Shillelagh on the corner of Brush and Monroe; fun Irish bar (Cadillac Square or Greektown stop)
    -- Park Bar on the corner of Park and Elizabeth; Bucharest Grille is attached to this place and has hands-down the best shwarma in the city for $4.25. (Grand Circus Park stop)
    -- The Detroiter on Beaubien and Fort; get a burger here (right across from the Bricktown stop)
    -- Jacoby's on Brush; awesome beer selection and German food right behind the Detroiter next to St. Andrew's Hall (Bricktown stop)

Just off the top of my head... I'll add more when I think of some more spots. These are usually the places I hit in the downtown area.

Those are good suggestions. I'll second the Old Shillelagh, Detroiter, and Park Bar/Bucharest Grill (now I'm craving shawarma!)

Also, just a general suggestion. It's out of the way, but if you have a car/will be staying for a couple days, my favorite place in Detroit is Green Dot Stables. $3 sliders, $3 drinks. Can't go wrong, it's delicious and cheap!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    1 Section 224 for sale. Face
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    samjam said:

Also, just a general suggestion. It's out of the way, but if you have a car/will be staying for a couple days, my favorite place in Detroit is Green Dot Stables. $3 sliders, $3 drinks. Can't go wrong, it's delicious and cheap!

I almost put Green Dot on there but since I figured everyone would be walking or taking advantage of the only time the People Mover makes any damn sense (getting around the downtown area), I left it off. Their Korean Slider is off the fucking charts awesome.

• Options
    samjam said:

Motown322 said:

grjammer said:

Those are good suggestions. I'll second the Old Shillelagh, Detroiter, and Park Bar/Bucharest Grill (now I'm craving shawarma!)

Thank you for the suggestions! We're going to be there for 4 days, going to need to settle in at a few of these. Any of these listed a sports bar? Like a Detroit sports theme place?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

samjam said:

Motown322 said:

grjammer said:

Thank you for the suggestions! We're going to be there for 4 days, going to need to settle in at a few of these. Any of these listed a sports bar? Like a Detroit sports theme place?
    Ed's friend Chris Chelios has a place right next to Comerica Park called Cheli's that has some cool memorabilia in it! Hockeytown Cafe is Red Wings spot with a bunch of memorabilia.
    Motown322 said:

samjam said:

I almost put Green Dot on there but since I figured everyone would be walking or taking advantage of the only time the People Mover makes any damn sense (getting around the downtown area), I left it off. Their Korean Slider is off the fucking charts awesome.

They have a seasonal drink now that's caramel whiskey, apple cider, and cinnamon...soooo delicious!!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 382
    samjam said:

Motown322 said:

grjammer said:

Re: the shawarma, I had some last year after the Soundgarden show, place was pretty much right across the street from the Fillmore, is that the same place, or would you happen to know the name of that place? It changed my life, may need a repeat of that action next week.

• Options
    gotta ask...what's shawarma
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    It is shaved meat, usually lamb or beef, in a pita with some veggies...a most delicious middle eastern treat! Place is called Bucharest Grill.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    EJE201EJE201 Mason, MI Posts: 319
    edited October 2014
    Some highschool friends opened up a distillery and tasting room in Eastern market. Give it a try for a change of pace. http://detroitcitydistillery.com.
    Post edited by EJE201 on
    Let's say knowledge is a tree,
    It's growing up just like me
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Hurry the fuck up October 16!