Options

Detroit Rock City

mr_canadamr_canada Posts: 555
edited October 2013 in The Porch
No love for Detroit in a LONG time. EV had to be dragged to Detroit by Chris C to play a solo show. Wonder what happened that made PJ and EV want to diss Detroit every tour.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Seriously, even NIN is playing the Palace of Auburn Hills, so I was hoping PJ would follow suit. Or how about a return to Ann Arbor and play Crysler Arena? I'm okay though as long as I can get to Pitt and Buffalo.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    :cry:
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Couldn't agree more. The newly remodeled Crisler Center is beautiful - would be an awesome place for a show. Please play Michigan in 2014 in support of the new album!

:D
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Eddie Vedder knew what a gem the Fox was when he played there. We know what a great city this is to play but when they are completely avoiding the midwest as of now, you cannot take it personal.
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    Maybe they'll come back & play the new arena they are building for the Wings in a couple of years. :shock:
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    I was so disappointed when I didn't see a Detroit show on the fall tour.
  • Options
    I hope another leg of touring is announced for next year...with a much needed Detroit date.
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    Glad to see there are other disappointed people. The lack of Detroit dates has been getting to me since 2011.
    That was the reason we decided to do PJ20 in the first place. I love seeing new places and will continue to travel if I can afford to. But a Detroit show is much needed.
    PJ Detroit 2014!
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I will see them in Ireland before they come to Detroit.
  • Options
    mcatakemcatake Posts: 102
    I live in metro Detroit and would love to have them back...but I'm not holding my breath. I'd be shocked if they ever played here again actually The crowds at the last few shows here weren't that great. The Palace in 2006 - not sold out (the upper corners were empty) and people were leaving before the end of the show. It was ridiculous seeing all the people that left when they had the house lights on for YL. It was a Monday night....but suck it up. The 2003 shows at DTE didn't go so well either with the bullshit season ticket holder seating having priority over ten club. Those crowds sucked because of it. I'm just glad they still play so many places within a 5 hour drive.
  • Options
    Want to keep this up so maybe they realize they've forgotten to play in one of the best cities to play a rock show. It may not be the 90's when no city could touch Detroit (besides those S. Americans) for a live show but the "D" is still a great city for a concert.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I wouldn't mind seeing them play the Fillmore. Qotsa and Soundgarden have been awesome there. The crowd was energetic and the place seemed packed. Bring on leg 3 8-):mrgreen:
  • Options
    lakelake Posts: 9
    Grand Rapids suits me fine. Both shows they played in GR were fantastic!
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    lake wrote:
    Grand Rapids suits me fine. Both shows they played in GR were fantastic!
    Yeah buddy.
  • Options
    Ed's show at the Fox last year had great support and the crowd was really into it. They may have been alittle rowdy but i think that was because we haven't had a great PJ show in awhile. In years past the concert at Crisler Arena was mind blowing and a couple of the Palace show were great. Detroit has been economically down but there is a positive spirit here and we NEED the greatest rock band in the world to come back to us!!
    Play the D in 2014!!!!!!!
    Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3-20-1994 Ann Arbor, MI 8-23-1998 Auburn Hills, MI 10-7-2000 Auburn Hills; MI 5-22-2006 Auburn Hills, MI 5-9-2010 Cleveland, OH; EV 6-28-2011 Detroit, MI 10-16-2014 Detroit, MI, EV 9-23-2017 Louisville KY
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Get up everybody's gonna move their feet
    Get down everybody's gonna leave their seat.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    Same old problem.

Pearl Jam doesn't tour that much. The Backspacer and Lightning Bolt tours seem pretty small compared to the 2006, 2003, 2000, and 1998 N.A. Tours. I think that means a lot of cities get missed. They probably focus on the ones that stand the best chance of selling out.
  • Options
    yes, please.
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    I was at Joe Louis Arena last night. While sitting in there watching some hockey, I couldn't help but imagine Pearl Jam playing there. Don't get me wrong (and no offence to anyone from Detroit), the place is not the best or nicest of venues out there. And that's putting it very mildly.

I have seen a few other shows there and they were a lot of fun. Just like everyone else in this thread, I just want to see them come back to Detroit. I guess, even with the current conditions & poor quality of The Joe, I would rather see them there than way out in the middle of nowhere and nowhere remotely close to downtown like The Palace and Pine Knob.

The Fox Theater would be great but I think we can all agree that it would be a slim chance of them playing at that small of a venue at this point. Maybe they can play a 5 or 6 night in a row event there to make up for lost time. :D

Also, just to throw it out there, Toledo is less than an hour drive south and we have a very nice and new 8k-10k seat arena right in the middle of downtown with several bars & restaurants surrounding the arena. ;)
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    jason_94 wrote:
    I was at Joe Louis Arena last night. While sitting in there watching some hockey, I couldn't help but imagine Pearl Jam playing there. Don't get me wrong (and no offence to anyone from Detroit), the place is not the best or nicest of venues out there. And that's putting it very mildly.

I have seen a few other shows there and they were a lot of fun. Just like everyone else in this thread, I just want to see them come back to Detroit. I guess, even with the current conditions & poor quality of The Joe, I would rather see them there than way out in the middle of nowhere and nowhere remotely close to downtown like The Palace and Pine Knob.

The Fox Theater would be great but I think we can all agree that it would be a slim chance of them playing at that small of a venue at this point. Maybe they can play a 5 or 6 night in a row event there to make up for lost time. :D

Also, just to throw it out there, Toledo is less than an hour drive south and we have a very nice and new 8k-10k seat arena right in the middle of downtown with several bars & restaurants surrounding the arena. ;)

Agree with everything you posted, Jason. Detroit needs to build the new arena for hockey ASAP, so we can have a nice downtown venue for concerts. I hate going to the Palace - terrible traffic in the middle of nowhere! Same problem with Pine Knob/DTE Energy Music theater.

However, the beautifully remodeled 12,693 seat Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, would be perfect for a spring/summer tour stop! Pearl Jam would be the best band to break it in music-wise! :D Lots of fun things to do here in A2!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    jlaustin wrote:
    jason_94 wrote:

Agree with everything you posted, Jason. Detroit needs to build the new arena for hockey ASAP, so we can have a nice downtown venue for concerts. I hate going to the Palace - terrible traffic in the middle of nowhere! Same problem with Pine Knob/DTE Energy Music theater.

However, the beautifully remodeled 12,693 seat Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, would be perfect for a spring/summer tour stop! Pearl Jam would be the best band to break it in music-wise! :D Lots of fun things to do here in A2!

I still remember seeing PJ for the first time at Crisler Center in 1994...great show!!!
  • Options
    mcatake wrote:
    I live in metro Detroit and would love to have them back...but I'm not holding my breath. I'd be shocked if they ever played here again actually The crowds at the last few shows here weren't that great. The Palace in 2006 - not sold out (the upper corners were empty) and people were leaving before the end of the show. It was ridiculous seeing all the people that left when they had the house lights on for YL. It was a Monday night....but suck it up. The 2003 shows at DTE didn't go so well either with the bullshit season ticket holder seating having priority over ten club. Those crowds sucked because of it. I'm just glad they still play so many places within a 5 hour drive.

I traveled to the '06 show from Chicago. Haven't seen nearly as many shows as most (ten plus two EV including the Fox Theater show), but the Palace '06 show is my absolute FAVORITE!

Kick out the Jams was the fucking greatest thing I've seen yet. They killed it. I thought the Detroit crowd was great.

I would definitely go back. Would rather take the drive if they ever do play that way again.
    Hey, hey. My, my. Rock and roll can never die.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • Options
    i'll just say simply that we need a Detroit stop in '14. I'd really like that.

Understatement, yeah....that'll get it done.

cheers
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    This thread title just reminded me: saw Alice In Chains at DTE this summer, and they started to play Detroit Rock City but stopped and said they couldn't. But seeing how packed it was for them and how into it the crowd was, I can't imagine Pearl Jam couldn't tear that place down. Have seen a lot of good shows there too, and the hill is just so much fun.

I'll always go to Pitt now if they play there. I loved the city, and wish I had more time to explore before we went to buffalo. Buffalo sucks as a city, by the way.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    mr_canada wrote:
    jlaustin wrote:
    jason_94 wrote:

I still remember seeing PJ for the first time at Crisler Center in 1994...great show!!!

Funny, that was my first PJ show too and my last one until Wrigley. I'd love to have a local show next year and I agree that the new Crisler Center would be a great choice. Failing that, the Joe's not bad either but outside of that and the Palace, that's about it around here.

Or how about headlining one day of the Orion Music Festival next year?
  • Options
    detroit, auburn hills, grand rapids, ann arbor, lansing, toledo, windsor, london, hamilton .... it's all good.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    mr_canada wrote:
    No love for Detroit in a LONG time. EV had to be dragged to Detroit by Chris C to play a solo show. Wonder what happened that made PJ and EV want to diss Detroit every tour.

Why do you think I moved to San Diego??? The weather? ;)

GO DETROIT & GO SPARTANS!!!
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    Forget the Palace and the suburbs, play downtown. The D is in NEED!!!!!!
    3-20-1994 Ann Arbor, MI 8-23-1998 Auburn Hills, MI 10-7-2000 Auburn Hills; MI 5-22-2006 Auburn Hills, MI 5-9-2010 Cleveland, OH; EV 6-28-2011 Detroit, MI 10-16-2014 Detroit, MI, EV 9-23-2017 Louisville KY
  • Options
    PjWingsfanPjWingsfan Posts: 136
    This could be the day?! :)
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,017
    Red Wings fan from Winnipeg, MB here. This show is very tempting for me to try and attend. Is there any chance the Wings play the day before or after, or is there more likely at least a day in between? I know the NHL schedule isn't usually out until July.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago