How awesome is Rival?

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    edited September 2014
    The chorus has to be one of their finest moments, musically and lyrically. Gossard's work on that part is the essence of what I love about the group and its totally understated. Great rhythm guitar player if not the greatest in my opinion.
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Mad Mohab said:

The chorus has to be one of their finest moments, musically and lyrically. Gossard's work on that part is the essence of what I love about the group and its totally understated. Great rhythm guitar player if not the greatest in my opinion.

There's a chorus?
  • Listening to live cuts, wow, they had this sound in 2000 I can't put my finger on but they were pretty great. I still believe in them and think they have released some absolutely incredible stuff on record since but there is no denying that Rival in 2000 is super pleasing on the ears.
  • Here we go. Rival.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Every time this song comes on I kind of have to just stop whatever i might be doing and absorb it. It's my "Desperado".
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    PJ_Soul said:

Every time this song comes on I kind of have to just stop whatever i might be doing and absorb it. It's my "Desperado".

Think it's my "Witchy Woman" or "Wit-CHAY Woman" ;)
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

derbydave said:

PJ_Soul said:

Think it's my "Witchy Woman" or "Wit-CHAY Woman" ;)
    :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pearl jam should put rival, of the girl, and evacuation back in the live rotation. of the girl is a nice set opener.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    awesome but not as awesome as Insignificance
  • Petition to Reintegrate RivaL into the Set List.

Or Grievance. Or Sleight of Hand. Or Of the Girl. Or Nothing as it Seems. Or Light Years. Or Parting Ways. Or Breakerfall. Or God's Dice. Or Thin Air.

I love Rival but it's only better than Soon Forget and Evacuation. That's why Binaural is their best album ;)
    Ok, maybe it's TIED with a couple other songs depending on my mood but still...yeah. Go Binaural.
    edited September 2014
    october22 said:

Or Grievance. Or Sleight of Hand. Or Of the Girl. Or Nothing as it Seems. Or Light Years. Or Parting Ways. Or Breakerfall. Or God's Dice. Or Thin Air.

I love Rival but it's only better than Soon Forget and Evacuation. That's why Binaural is their best album ;)
    I think Rival is every bit as good as most of those songs you listed, and better than God's Dice, Breakerfall, and Light Years. For me it's one of the best songs on the album! ... but it's not as good as Insignificance, I agree with that. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Binaural may be Pearl Jam's most underrated album so many great songs
    in fact I got the headphones out, think it is time to crank out some Binaural action
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Rival is second only Breakerfall and Binaural is second only to Vs., I really don't get how some can over look this album as not being one of the best.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    It actually pisses me off a bit when people say they don't like it or that it's at the bottom of their list, lol. I try not to let it bug me, but it does, because it defies logic and reason, even after considering how people have different tastes, lol. :P
    yeah I just can't put anything on this LP above Insignificance it is a top 5 song for me out of every song Pearl Jam has ever done
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FWkyhgKkaM
    PJ_Soul said:

It actually pisses me off a bit when people say they don't like it or that it's at the bottom of their list, lol. I try not to let it bug me, but it does, because it defies logic and reason, even after considering how people have different tastes, lol. :P

there are some people who don't like Vs and I want to say "you don't know #### about music" but it is like art and everyone has different tastes

PJ_Soul said:

there are some people who don't like Vs and I want to say "you don't know #### about music" but it is like art and everyone has different tastes
    Yeah, but say someone looks at the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel, and says "that sucks - worst thing Michelangelo ever did IMO." You'd think the person is an idiot, right? :)) ;)
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, but say someone looks at the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel, and says "that sucks - worst thing Michelangelo ever did IMO." You'd think the person is an idiot, right? :)) ;)
    yeah just wouldn't say it, lol
    edited September 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

I think Rival is every bit as good as most of those songs you listed, and better than God's Dice, Breakerfall, and Light Years. For me it's one of the best songs on the album! ... but it's not as good as Insignificance, I agree with that. ;)
    Ok fine, but you can't tell me Rival is better than or just as good as NAIS. That's just crazy.
    Post edited by october22 on
    or Of The Girl or Parting Ways so many great songs on Binaural
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Of the Girl and Rival are my #2 and #3 songs ever respectively. Honestly NAIS and Insignificance probably aren't even in my top 5 from Binaural (Blasphemy!)
    RiotZact said:

Of the Girl and Rival are my #2 and #3 songs ever respectively. Honestly NAIS and Insignificance probably aren't even in my top 5 from Binaural (Blasphemy!)

wow! to quote Patrick Swayze from Roadhouse "opinions vary"
    edited September 2014
    october22 said:

PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

Ok fine, but you can't tell me Rival is better than or just as good as NAIS. That's just crazy.
    Well, if you're talking about how much I enjoy the songs, I think Rival is just as much, if not a little more so (studio, not live) ... if I were teaching a music composition course i would probably have to admit that NAIS is the superior song. :)) And NAIS kicks its ass on the stage. That is one of their very best live songs when nailed. I know they find it hard to play live, but I wish they'd suck it up and do it more anyway. Same with Rival, actually. Why don't they play it more?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Good conversation about Binaural. I agree NAIS is superior, but Rival is a close second in my opinion. Whole album is fantastic. I actually just bide my time through the first half, but the second half is solid gold. From Of The Girl, to Grievance to RIVAL to Slight of hand to Soon Forget to Parting Ways. All EPIC songs. That would make one heck of an encore......just saying. Add in Sleeping By Myself to keep the theme and it would be one of the best encores they ever played.
    Just gave Binaural a spin. I'm going to say that Parting Ways might be my favorite song on that album. I changed my mind. PW is my Desperado. Not Rival, lol.
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Rival is one of my favorite songs! And I really love it from Pinkpop 2000 - wohoo \:D/