How awesome is Rival?

Comments

• The way Stone Gossard is showing his intelligence is unique.
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Rival.

Only played 20 times total.

Only played TWICE since July 3rd 2003. :shock: :shock:

Last played, 10-27-2009 Philly, 05-17-2010 Boston.

Please play Rival. In any city this year! Philly or Hartford would be great!!

Ill be there with my sign :)

My second PJ show ever was July 3rd, 2003 in Mansfield. I didn't realize how rare of a song it would become at the time, but since that show is probably the best sounding boot I can think of, I listen to Rival often. I can't get enough of it, easily a top 10 PJ song for me. I remember a few years back (I'm guessing just prior to the 2010 tour) where Matt Cameron mentioned they wanted to play more of their songs that have odd timing/off beats that require more rehearsing, specifically mentioning Rival. They didn't really follow through on that promise, playing it just the one time in Boston. The 5 boroughs on NYC have never heard the song live :D
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Rossum20 wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Rival.

My second PJ show ever was July 3rd, 2003 in Mansfield. I didn't realize how rare of a song it would become at the time, but since that show is probably the best sounding boot I can think of, I listen to Rival often. I can't get enough of it, easily a top 10 PJ song for me. I remember a few years back (I'm guessing just prior to the 2010 tour) where Matt Cameron mentioned they wanted to play more of their songs that have odd timing/off beats that require more rehearsing, specifically mentioning Rival. They didn't really follow through on that promise, playing it just the one time in Boston. The 5 boroughs on NYC have never heard the song live :D

The fact that this song had been player only twice in ten years is beyond me.

As a drummer this song is great.. Musically it's awesome and I would really love to see it live this year.

Please play rival in 2013. :)
    It can't be just me!

Where's the love for this great song?!

Rival - Boston 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCuSNCwg7fw

:corn:
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Been to long since this one's been bumped, with these setlists it could pop up any given night.

Break this bitch out in Baltimore!!!
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Cracking song, sounds even better when they play it live. Great great song. Parts of Infallible remind me of Rival.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    smanchac1 wrote:
    It can't be just me!

Where's the love for this great song?!

Rival - Boston 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCuSNCwg7fw

:corn:

Dont worry, it's not just you, out there.

Bring on some Binaural-Riot Act already.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Rival has always been the one song that i really want to hear when I go to a live show. Its brutally awesome.

I was lucky enough to see it in Boston 2010 but im still craving more.
    Rival.

• ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Rival.

.......or Charlottesville, or Charlotte..... :corn:
    No people it's being played in Baltimore, get it right! Also Getaway will debut 4th song into the set after Pendulum>Wash>Breakerfall.
  • Warms my heart to see this post today. I was walking around in the Natural History Museum in London earlier listening to Binaural and this is my 2nd favorite song behind "Insignificance."

As a close media observer, its stunning to read 2013 media reviews of Lightning Bolt saying how crap it is, and yet waxing nostalgic for Pearl Jam's more "experimental" days on Binaural. I remember when that record came out, no one gave a FUCK in the media. Especially for how weird it was.

Binaural sounds brilliant these days, especially a true gem like "Rival." Here's to 2013, Lightning Bolt, 23 years of PJ, and hoping for a "Rival" bust out on this tour!

MG/Yield
    Matt and I are friends.
    Warms my heart to see this post today. I was walking around in the Natural History Museum in London earlier listening to Binaural and this is my 2nd favorite song behind "Insignificance."

As a close media observer, its stunning to read 2013 media reviews of Lightning Bolt saying how crap it is, and yet waxing nostalgic for Pearl Jam's more "experimental" days on Binaural. I remember when that record came out, no one gave a FUCK in the media. Especially for how weird it was.

Binaural sounds brilliant these days, especially a true gem like "Rival." Here's to 2013, Lightning Bolt, 23 years of PJ, and hoping for a "Rival" bust out on this tour!

MG/Yield

Haha yeah funny how that works isn't it? To the media's credit though Binaural took forever to grow on me, now it's by far my favorite.
    Warms my heart to see this post today. I was walking around in the Natural History Museum in London earlier listening to Binaural and this is my 2nd favorite song behind "Insignificance."

MG/Yield

It really is a great song. If it was played more often, more people would love it!!
    edited October 2013
    To the top.. One more shot In Hartford before the end of the tour!! (For me)
    Until the west coast that is...

I LOVE this song!!
    Post edited by smanchac1 on
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    http://pearljam.com/setlists/1015/2000/20247/sporthalle

033014170606:09,11,18,23,25,26:2000.png

One of my first Boots

SPORTHALLE
    Hamburg, Germany
    Mon 26 June, 2000

An AMAZING Rival.
    Ed starts in "This ones called Rival..."

Plagued by some kind of intermittent electrical problem the guitar cuts in and out right before the solo...Stone just shreds right on through it.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    Maybe next year?
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    RiotZact wrote:
    Maybe next year?

Fingers crossed. I'd still love to hear it live. Berlin or Stockholm would be nice, PJ :shifty: :wave:
  • A great song, awesome lyrics n the chorus, Stone is ingenious.
    Fall 2014!!! Moline preferably since I'll be there.
  • radarradar Posts: 767
    I would choosed Stockholm !
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I hope it gets played this tour. It's one of those tracks you forget about because it can get buried in the vastness of their catalogue. I had PJ songs on shuffle recently and this song came on and it was like fuck yeah!

I still enjoy the Katowice 2000 live version when Eddie starts to say something, but is interrupted by the start of the song. I like the way he sings it, too. I love the guitar solo!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    Just listened to this from Kansas City 2000 and man did it fucking rock, they should go back to playing it that way and play it several times on the fall tour. Please pearl jam this song is awesome.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Wish they would play this more.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,718
    smanchac1 said:

Rival.

The funny thing about this is both shows were on my concert radar but I couldn't make either work. Still have not seen Rival live as a result.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • One of the better songs off Binaural. Weird vibe. It should have stayed at track 5 like it was on the original track listing. It deserved to b more prominent on the album. It's too far back.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I was listening to Binaural just a few days ago and when Rival hit, I immediately remembered how freakin awesome it is!
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    My husband and I held a sign to the 5 shows we attended last fall-- (well, mostly him cuz he's a lot taller :) )
    We will update it and continue to carry at our 4 shows this upcoming fall!!

PLAY RIVAL, YOU PUSSIES!!!
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
    red mos said:

Wish they would play this more.

Yeah I'm gonna keep bumping this especially now that

My husband and I held a sign to the 5 shows we attended last fall-- (well, mostly him cuz he's a lot taller :) )
    We will update it and continue to carry at our 4 shows this upcoming fall!!

PLAY RIVAL, YOU PUSSIES!!!

Great idea! Hopefully by the time moline hits they will practice it and have it ready to go! :D
    BUMP!