Getting Close to the Stage at Bonnaroo..

Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 790
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I'm wondering how this works. I assume they clear out the main stage area after the last show each night or can you linger around all night? Lolla wasn't a problem getting close if you didn't mind waiting around all day in the sun. Any thoughts on how this works for Bonnaroo?
Nashville '00
Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
Kitchener, London '05
Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
Chicago '07
Columbia '08
MSG x 2 '10;
PJ 20 x 2 '11
Atlanta '12
Wrigley '13
St. Louis, Memphis '14
Lexington '15
Wrigley '16
Wrigley x 2 '18
Nashville '22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm wondering how this works. I assume they clear out the main stage area after the last show each night or can you linger around all night? Lolla wasn't a problem getting close if you didn't mind waiting around all day in the sun. Any thoughts on how this works for Bonnaroo?
    im sure itll work the same way there... be sure to bring plenty of water and a sandwich or something with you... maybe an umbrella if the sun is real harsh to protect you between acts... i just remember that day at lolla be fuckin long and brutal!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    im sure itll work the same way there... be sure to bring plenty of water and a sandwich or something with you... maybe an umbrella if the sun is real harsh to protect you between acts... i just remember that day at lolla be fuckin long and brutal!

yeah it was super long and that was with 2 other great acts beforehand. doubt we will have that luck at bonnaroo. but im hoping MMJ opens
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • I've been going to general admission shows for YEARS. Get there whenever you want. When people start moshing just push your way up front. It is easy and better than waiting in line for 10 hours.....
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    hatebush wrote:
    I've been going to general admission shows for YEARS. Get there whenever you want. When people start moshing just push your way up front. It is easy and better than waiting in line for 10 hours.....

Really? People still moshing?
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    ill see you all up there
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • I assume they clear out the main stage area after the last show each night or can you linger around all night? quote]

linger longer
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    hatebush wrote:
    I've been going to general admission shows for YEARS. Get there whenever you want. When people start moshing just push your way up front. It is easy and better than waiting in line for 10 hours.....
    only works in Europe afaik.. there was no moshing at all at Lolla.. could take full step back from the barrier.. :(
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Pegasus wrote:
    only works in Europe afaik.. there was no moshing at all at Lolla.. could take full step back from the barrier.. :(

There was moshing there :D I think you just found a good spot :)
    NERDS!
    There was moshing there :D I think you just found a good spot :)
    in front of Mike (well, bit to the left)?
    that's the moshing hotspot at all the other shows I attended!!

mayb we don't have the same definition of moshing (someone touching you isn't moshing) ;)
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Pegasus wrote:
    in front of Mike (well, bit to the left)?
    that's the moshing hotspot at all the other shows I attended!!

mayb we don't have the same definition of moshing (someone touching you isn't moshing) ;)

Well it wasn't full on moshing, but I did deflect crowd surfers for a good hour ;)

1993 That was real moshing :)
    NERDS!
  • eh i'd rather just wander around all day and check out other bands and get a decent view in the back. it just seems like work to try to be up front.
  • hatebush wrote:
    thats downright selfish and the people that were trying that shit at lolla were getting bitched at... if you know people have been waiting for hours you do not cut in front of them...

• this thread is semi-pathetic. it’s a festival. not a club show. stop all the neurotic worrying and just have a good fucking time.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • distantsun wrote:
    this thread is semi-pathetic. it’s a festival. not a club show. stop all the neurotic worrying and just have a good fucking time.
    Geez, take a chill pill, man.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Geez, take a chill pill, man.

likepilate, that's exactly my point. the Roo is all about good times. not strategizing your way to the stage.

the laid back vibe will surely slaughter the Jamily.

i cannot wait.
  • Geez, take a chill pill, man.

,,,Agreed
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • distantsun wrote:
    likepilate, that's exactly my point. the Roo is all about good times. not strategizing your way to the stage.

the laid back vibe will surely slaughter the Jamily.

i cannot wait.
    They've played some acoustic sets, no?

But that is true, we could see a civil war erupt again in our nation when the jamily descends on those god damn hippies.
  • Actually, I think distantsun's point was actually that a lot of Jammers appear to be uptight bitches, but that the general Bonnaroo vibe is more of a laid back, no worries, feel free to invade my space and rock out alongside me, fellow total stranger, kinda thing. At least that's how I see it.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Actually, I think distantsun's point was actually that a lot of Jammers appear to be uptight bitches, but that the general Bonnaroo vibe is more of a laid back, no worries, feel free to invade my space and rock out alongside me, fellow total stranger, kinda thing. At least that's how I see it.
    Yeah, like I said, I think the culture war starts this summer.
  • next peron to say Jamily gets banned!
  • ill make why why to the main stage a couple hours before showtime....if i end up being a football field away from the stage....i dont give a rats ass....

im not going to sit in the sun/rain/mud...whatever for 8-10 hours like lolla...

been there....done that....FUCK THAT!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    sgossard3 wrote:
    thats downright selfish and the people that were trying that shit at lolla were getting bitched at... if you know people have been waiting for hours you do not cut in front of them...

actually I agree with this

last minute knuckleheads

another reason I hate GA
  • Get_Right wrote:
    actually I agree with this

last minute knuckleheads

another reason I hate GA

I totally hear what you're saying. Whoever comes to Bonnaroo (fans/campers) this year will obviously make or break the whole thing... but if it's anything like last year, you won't see this happening. Everyone was so respectful of everyone's spaces. Everyone had lots of room, and nobody just dropped into your space.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I totally hear what you're saying. Whoever comes to Bonnaroo (fans/campers) this year will obviously make or break the whole thing... but if it's anything like last year, you won't see this happening. Everyone was so respectful of everyone's spaces. Everyone had lots of room, and nobody just dropped into your space.

wait till you experience PJ with 50K plus in front of the stage
    all trying to get up front
    manners get lost in that push and it aint fun

I would guess the metallica crowd will be even worse

Perhaps years ago, but this aint no hippy fest anymore
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    You can't camp all day at the main stage at Roo if you are up front near the stage. They started a new system last year that they say is like European festivals, where the "pit" is cleared out between performances so that more people get to be up front for a show.

They just had this at the main stage, none of the other ones.
    NeilJam wrote:
    You can't camp all day at the main stage at Roo if you are up front near the stage. They started a new system last year that they say is like European festivals, where the "pit" is cleared out between performances so that more people get to be up front for a show.

They just had this at the main stage, none of the other ones.
    I've never seen it done at a Euro festival.
    What some festivals do is control the entry flux into the front pit, but that's to avoid the crush (the people talking about 'your own space'..please never go to a festival or even GA show in Europe, you won't know what hits you!) so the people that were there to watch th e1 band move on and get replaced by people for the next, naturally..
    ...but not empty it completely..
  • Pegasus wrote:
    I've never seen it done at a Euro festival.
    What some festivals do is control the entry flux into the front pit, but that's to avoid the crush (the people talking about 'your own space'..please never go to a festival or even GA show in Europe, you won't know what hits you!) ...but not empty it completely..
    i dont care about having my "own space" as long as the space i have come show time is not further back than i started because of assholes pushin their way to the front past people there long before them... thats just common courtesy... i saw punches being thrown over that shit at lolla last year... it was for muse tho not PJ thank god... but thats bound to happen anytime when somebodys waiting patiently out in the heat and someone else has a sense of entitlement... judging by the threads i see around here the latter applies to alot of PJ fans... so be ready

thank you. this is what i was going for. :)
  • in other news, if i might make a suggestion.

now i know none of you here know me but i am very very far from a pseudo-neo-hippie. just trust me on this. that being said, i still think that if you're going to be one of these rabid "I MUST GET TO THE FRONT OF A 100,000 PERSON CAPACITY SHOW", perhaps Bonaroo is not for you. chances are they are going to be touring around a little bit.

maybe an arena is a better fit for your live music style.
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    i dont care about having my "own space" as long as the space i have come show time is not further back than i started because of assholes pushin their way to the front past people there long before them... thats just common courtesy... i saw punches being thrown over that shit at lolla last year... it was for muse tho not PJ thank god... but thats bound to happen anytime when somebodys waiting patiently out in the heat and someone else has a sense of entitlement... judging by the threads i see around here the latter applies to alot of PJ fans... so be ready
    i dont think its a sense of entitlement that is some peoples problem...

its the fact that they are just assholes in general...

i know people from this board who would lie,cheat,steal,manipulate,and use people any way they can just to make sure they get their seats up front...

ive seen it....and its fucking pathetic...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....