Options

Should Eddie use a teleprompter?

124»

Comments

• Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    I actually think he does a pretty amazing job remembering the lyrics. Yes he screws up occasionally but not very often.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Wma31394 said:

I think he's had it now for a few tours hasn't he?

I sat side stage a few nights this tour, did not notice one. He did have a lyric sheet for Comfortably Numb in Miami but it was at his feet and the writing was so small that I'm not sure he even looked at it.

I noticed a teleprompter at GCF last year. I only saw it during Redemption Song though.

That was for Beyonce :lol:
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    I only saw lyric sheets as well at MSG.
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    edited May 2016
    Suziemay said:

Wma31394 said:

I think he's had it now for a few tours hasn't he?

I sat side stage a few nights this tour, did not notice one. He did have a lyric sheet for Comfortably Numb in Miami but it was at his feet and the writing was so small that I'm not sure he even looked at it.

I noticed a teleprompter at GCF last year. I only saw it during Redemption Song though.

That was for Beyonce :lol:
    Valid point
    Post edited by Pearl34Jam on
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    edited May 2016
    Clearly a man comfortable with vocal blemishes and who doesn't care if you aren't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkgv3LoQY2o&feature=youtu.be&t=161

(EDIT: Crap can't paste a link to a specific point in the timeline. Skip to 2:44)
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    I don't mind flubs live when I'm there. When it's annoying is when I'm listening to a bootleg he fucks up Do The Evolution or Immortality royally.

The teleprompter idea is awful.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    DeLukin said:

Clearly a man comfortable with vocal blemishes and who doesn't care if you aren't:

(EDIT: Crap can't paste a link to a specific point in the timeline. Skip to 2:44)

I've seen the headshake but NEVER noticed he flubbs the line. What the hell. Ive seen that video 1.5 million times.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    I don't know how Ed does it. They can walk out there and play any one of about 140/150ish songs? There's no way I could do that. My memory isn't near that good.

I hope Pearl Jam keeps touring, and plays until they're so old that Eddie needs one. I think it's pretty impressive he can do most of it off by heart.
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102

DeLukin said:

I've seen the headshake but NEVER noticed he flubbs the line. What the hell. Ive seen that video 1.5 million times.
    Same here. The mind blown pic says it best
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    All for the teleprompter or lyric sheets. Ed knows the lyrics to the hits so why not encourage him to play the deep cuts with a cheat sheet?

I probably thought differently in the past but now why care?
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    No teleprompter, I think its kind of lame. Lyric sheets for a couple songs that aren't played very often is cool, but a teleprompter for the whole show is tacky.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    VR glasses with lyrics.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    As a die hard Dead Head I learned early on that when Jerry and/or Bob would flub the lyrics to a song they had sung hundreds of times it was just part of the charm of the live performance. I was always amazed that those dudes could remember all those freaking lyrics in the first place (esp. all those epic length Bob Dylan songs like Desolation Row). It was so disheartening to me when Jerry had to resort to the teleprompter.

PJ's catalogue is every bit as extensive and quite honestly so much of the lyrics are quite complex. It is a wonder that Ed can remember them. I find I have the same feeling about Ed missing a line as I did at Dead shows. It's just part of the live experience. I don't want my rock and roll bands to be so rehearsed and polished that they might as well jsut be playing the record through the PA.

Just like somebody else said in this thread, I screw up the lyrics all the time so it doesn't bother me when Ed does.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Dave uses a TelePrompTer? Fuuuuuck... How can anyone read shit, play guitar and sing while fucking baked out of their mind?!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    JensStillHereJensStillHere Columbus, Ohio Posts: 101
    Even early on singing one of the most personal songs Eddie had written he flubbed the lyrics. Jump to 1:38. https://youtu.be/xu85_WHGd0w

Imagine 24 years later and 100+ more original songs in his head? It doesn't really bother me.
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,833
    no i love when he just rolls with it when he forgets a line or two. eddie is one of the best of all time. hope everyone has a great day. pick up anyone who has fallen down. life is hard.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    i like fuck ups
    words are hard
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I thought he does..always see him looking down like one is there.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736

No.

And he should learn the lyrics enough to not use the sheets on the floor either.

Agreed.
    Lyrical flubs piss me off.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    No thank you. I'm a fan of live performances and if they screw up, it is fine. Pixies screwed up the lyrics of What Goes Boom in Cleveland, 2015. BF sang the same lyrics for a loop of about 3x before he could pull himself out of it.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Absolutely not
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946
    DeLukin said:

wow, also cant believe I've never noticed this.
    even better that this is the official music video.

and to the original question, no way should he use a teleprompter
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,921
    They played like 160 different songs this tour. Many that they haven't played (or even rehearsed) in years. He's allowed to mess up. I don't think he'll ever use a teleprompter, but if he wants to use lyric sheets, who really cares?
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    edited September 2016
    dwhite76 said:

Its never Eds fault. Hes a Golden God :lol: It wasnt even MCCready's fault the roadie gave him the wrong guitar ;)

So that's why he fired Wesley!