Options

Should Eddie use a teleprompter?

Comments

• Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    october22 wrote:
    I actually read this thread at first as "teleporter" which would be quite different.

I say yes to teleporter, no to teleprompter.

I second this motion...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    october22 wrote:
    I actually read this thread at first as "teleporter" which would be quite different.

I say yes to teleporter, no to teleprompter.

I second this motion...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    edited July 2013
    green_girl wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I vote yes for the TelePrompTer but I hate to break it to you folks..
    He already uses one from time to time (the TelePrompTer has a video image of the pages from his famous "composition" note book!

You can see it in some of the PJ20 Alpine concert clips.

I thought it might cramp his style. But if you what you wrote is true, I'd like to revise my answer to "I don't care either way."
    Does it really matter whether he reads words off a composition book or a projected image of the book on the TelePrompTer ? Really folks.. Hate to burst your bubble!
    Here is a side stage clip of the famous "Chloe/ Crown" from Toronto
    09/11/11.
    Note that Ed tapes a piece of paper with the lyrics to Chloe over his TelePrompTer
    Then peels it off before "Crown" revealing the the TelePrompTer !
    http://youtu.be/1o8oZc9IXgA
    Pretty sure the Hamilton DVD has Lots of shots of his TelePrompTer too
    Post edited by locked on
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    locked wrote:
    green_girl wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I vote yes for the TelePrompTer but I hate to break it to you folks..
    He already uses one from time to time (the TelePrompTer has a video image of the pages from his famous "composition" note book!

You can see it in some of the PJ20 Alpine concert clips.

I thought it might cramp his style. But if you what you wrote is true, I'd like to revise my answer to "I don't care either way."
    Does it really matter whether he reads words off a composition book or a projected image of the book on the TelePrompTer ? Really folks.. Hate to burst your bubble!
    Here is a side stage clip of the famous "Chloe/ Crown" from Toronto
    09/11/11.
    Note that Ed tapes a piece of paper with the lyrics to Chloe over his TelePrompTer
    Then peels it off before "Crown" revealing the small white glow of his Compositon page on the TelePrompTer !

Curious, why you keep spelling teleprompter like that?
  • Options
    Auto correct damn iPhone!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    mookieb10 wrote:
    I went to see Dave this weekend (I don't care what you think of him...) and noticed how he nails all the lyrics. I racked my brain and realized he's been pretty spot on the last couple years at the shows I've seen. So I got back to the hotel and surfed around the warehouse boards and was fucking shocked that Dave uses a teleprompter. Some people were offended, personally, I don't give a shit. I'm just wondering if you think Ed should use a prompter? and do you think he ever will?

no - when ed has to make shit up as he goes along makes each show special - because of the extensive set lists
    i'm guessing the foo fighters don't change their set lists as drastically as pj
    i like the ff but seriously everything they do basically sounds the same
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Hard to read a teleprompter when you are seeing double.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    Hard to read a teleprompter when you are seeing double.

HAHAHA!
    :lol:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    WW187806 wrote:
    I hope people realize how hard that solo, and the entire song Come Back is to play live. The fact that they even attempt it is awesome. And I have seen it done spectacularly well live.

That has to be one of their easiest songs to play, and I don't think PJ has any song that is that difficult to play.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if EV used a teleprompter, unless it got to the point that it detracted from the performance.

Never understand the "mistakes give each show character" mindset. How about looking at the way he sings them, Mike's solos and and all the other more subtle changes that they do night to night to supply the character for each show. I don't really mind the minor lyrical fuckups, but there are times where they've needed to be better rehearsed for the amount of money they're raking in.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    I don't see how a tele is any different than his notebook.
    You often see him singing a song and staring at the floor (aka, reading every word from his notebook).
    Personally I'd rather he read it from a tele...at least it looks as if he remembers! :lol:

Hell, he had lyrics written on his hand when he sang Comfortably Numb with Roger Waters.

F it. I say no tele, no notebook....all lyrics must be written on his hands! :lol:
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    its not our decision to make and ultimately it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. imo

also, if it means they can now perform deeper cut vault tracks, then sign me up to that
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    ed using a teleprompter is like major league baseball having instant reply. no way. it makes two of my favorite things very "human".
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ51390PJ51390 Atlanta Posts: 728
    its not our decision to make and ultimately it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. imo

also, if it means they can now perform deeper cut vault tracks, then sign me up to that

I totally agree, I would say they shy away from some deeper cuts because of this. If it means a teleprompter, I am for it too.

And I think it is funny that people get mad because he messes up lyrics, he not only has the words to the entire PJ catalog, he has all his solo stuff, all the covers and who knows how many other songs he knows.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    locked wrote:
    Auto correct damn iPhone!

Haha, same for me. Wtf
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    No.

And he should learn the lyrics enough to not use the sheets on the floor either.

Yeah!
    Learn the fuckin words already!!!!!! :D :fp:
    Couldn't find a tongue in cheek smiley....
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    mca47 wrote:
    I don't see how a tele is any different than his notebook.
    You often see him singing a song and staring at the floor (aka, reading every word from his notebook).
    Personally I'd rather he read it from a tele...at least it looks as if he remembers! :lol:

Hell, he had lyrics written on his hand when he sang Comfortably Numb with Roger Waters.

F it. I say no tele, no notebook....all lyrics must be written on his hands! :lol:

Haha, yes, he had a few words written on the hand. But Thank God he didnt need to check them...
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    No! It gives each performance it's own character.

Exactly. I love that he messes up the lyrics
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    johnmc1976 wrote:
    no! The screw ups are apart of what make shows unique. Makes it real. After a couple bottles of wine I don't think the prompter would matter anyway. :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    just now on pj radio he fucked up the words to black and then sang in tune about singing the wrong words
    he fucking rules
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    eddie should use whatever the hell he wants to use! :D
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Should Ed have skipped 121212 b/c he needed to write the lyrics on his hand?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Like I pointed out..
    He already DOES..
    It's a video screen image of the lyrics from his famous Composition Book.
    So who cares?????
    What's the difference?
    Cut the guy some slack .
    They have tons if sings and play a different set every show!!!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,835
    HELL NO!!!!! I love it when he changes or fucks up the lyrics. :)
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509

Exactly. I love that he messes up the lyrics

This
  • Options
    belinda27belinda27 Posts: 731
    If you want to hear it the same every time play the CD! :lol:
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    No

Fucking up is part of music

part of life

part of being human.
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    No

Fucking up is part of music

part of life

part of being human.
    This x 1,000,000,!!
    So true!!
  • Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    Personally, I think the whole band should mime. In addition to Ed's flubs I have noticed Mike often goes off on one and starts playing notes that aren't on the cd's (witness 'Porch') and other times where he forgets the end of songs and adds random shit in ('Yellow Leadbetter' and 'Daughter' being prime examples).

Time to stop this nonsense! :fp:
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    timbo1972 wrote:
    In addition to Ed's flubs I have noticed Mike often goes off on one and starts playing notes that aren't on the cd's .

Like when he starts the one solo on a J rather than an E and I'm always like, WTF, I didn't even know that note existed... :think: