Pearl Jam - Tides 10-08-2013

12346»

Comments

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    rbrum7 wrote:
    I really don't like the short songs either. They need to stop writing those short punk songs and go in the direction Of The Earth was heading.

This can't be a serious post. Outside of the fact that the average song length as listed is 4 minutes, can you seriously say they need to stop writing these short punk songs when you consider:

Lukin
    Comatose
    Spin the Black Circle
    Habit
    Go
    Last Exit
    Get Right
    Blood
    Green Disease
    Animal
    Brain of J.

Grant it, they are not all punk type songs, but all are fairly short and fast upbeat songs. I mean, what band do you think you're a fan of? I'd like to see anyone say they wished any of the listed songs weren't created.

I don't understand it either. That list of songs there (I'd add Whipping, myself), minus maybe one, are in my top favorites....easily. All really great tunes. I love when they channel the energy of their punk heroes, especially because they do it without straight emulation. It always sounds like Pearl Jam. It's a huge part of what Pearl Jam IS.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    rbrum7 wrote:
    I really don't like the short songs either. They need to stop writing those short punk songs and go in the direction Of The Earth was heading.

This can't be a serious post. Outside of the fact that the average song length as listed is 4 minutes, can you seriously say they need to stop writing these short punk songs when you consider:

Lukin
    Comatose
    Spin the Black Circle
    Habit
    Go
    Last Exit
    Get Right
    Blood
    Green Disease
    Animal
    Brain of J.

Grant it, they are not all punk type songs, but all are fairly short and fast upbeat songs. I mean, what band do you think you're a fan of? I'd like to see anyone say they wished any of the listed songs weren't created.

The 3 best songs there(Go, Blood, Animal) are decidedly not punk and have only minor punk influence. Some of the others are more directly punk influenced but but still have other influences mixed in. The one that's most straight ahead punk is Lukin and it's absolutely one of the worst songs in the PJ cannon.

I don't mind the punk influence in small doses, but it's just so clear it's not what they're best at, especially at this stage in the game. Ed can't shred his vox, like on Blood or Animal to help carry a song, anymore.
  • rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974
    EarlWelsh wrote:
    rbrum7 wrote:

Lukin
    Comatose
    Spin the Black Circle
    Habit
    Go
    Last Exit
    Get Right
    Blood
    Green Disease
    Animal
    Brain of J.

I don't understand it either. That list of songs there (I'd add Whipping, myself), minus maybe one, are in my top favorites....easily. All really great tunes. I love when they channel the energy of their punk heroes, especially because they do it without straight emulation. It always sounds like Pearl Jam. It's a huge part of what Pearl Jam IS.

Can't believe I missed Whipping! Crazy.

Did you know that Spin the Black Circles guitar was found on accident by Ed fast forwarding some other song on a Walkman and he played it back to Stone who put it on a track. Great story.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20
  • rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974
    DewieCox wrote:
    rbrum7 wrote:

Lukin
    Comatose
    Spin the Black Circle
    Habit
    Go
    Last Exit
    Get Right
    Blood
    Green Disease
    Animal
    Brain of J.

The 3 best songs there(Go, Blood, Animal) are decidedly not punk and have only minor punk influence. Some of the others are more directly punk influenced but but still have other influences mixed in. The one that's most straight ahead punk is Lukin and it's absolutely one of the worst songs in the PJ cannon.

I don't mind the punk influence in small doses, but it's just so clear it's not what they're best at, especially at this stage in the game. Ed can't shred his vox, like on Blood or Animal to help carry a song, anymore.

You're correct, on Go and Animal. That is why I said "grant it, they are not all punk type songs, but all are fairly short and fast upbeat songs".

But Blood...Blood is a straight up Hardcore genre influenced song. And Hardcore is directly influenced by Punk. So I'd argue that one. Not a bad take if you're not familiar with Hardcore, so not slamming you.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14