Options

being kind

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I get told all the time that I'm too nice. Believe it or not! Think its time to turn a new leaf

Awww

You are pretty nice

:D
    Awww. And you are less curmudgeon-y in person ;)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I learned first hand that nice guys finish last. Ladies often appreciate that though. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I learned first hand that nice guys finish last. Ladies often appreciate that though. :P
    Hey-o!!!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Mr. Chadwick, i just wanted to thank you for this thread. It seems all too often we get caught up in drama here on the AET/forum. Your thread is like a cool refreshing breeze on a hot summer day. Thank you.

who the hell are you and what have you done with 81?

yes, I'm kind, sometimes too much. I grew up with one parent who was a tyrant and another who was kind and easy going, I've also found that being kind and respectful will get you further than being an a-hole.

I'm awesome until you get on my bad side...then, I pretty much have no use for you.

Ya, I think someone hacked 81's account. Mite of been DS fucking around again..... :lol:
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I am kind by default.

But I have a short, impatient temper and shoot off at the mouth when i'm pissed off.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's wet and round and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies―'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'"
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr Rosewater

"Those faces you see every day on the streets were not created entirely without hope: be kind to them: like you they have not escaped."
    ― Charles Bukowski, The People Look Like Flowers at Last
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    dankind wrote:
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's wet and round and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies―'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'"

"Those faces you see every day on the streets were not created entirely without hope: be kind to them: like you they have not escaped."

:thumbup: :clap::mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    dankind wrote:

I wouldn't expect Bukowski to say something like that.... ever.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    dankind wrote:

:thumbup: :D:D
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    dankind wrote:

:clap::clap:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind wrote:

Young man, go forth and read more Bukowski.

His cast of losers and alter ego Hank Chinaski are usually so damn miserable and rotten because they were treated rottenly and miserably throughout their lives.

In the meantime, this is a go-to fun page for me: http://archives.progressiveboink.com/ar ... -bukowski/
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Illana Cogswater, daughter of God say: "Be kind". Read all about it in Gorman Bechard's The Second Greatest Story Ever Told. And, Illana is a Replacements/Paul Westerberg fan which makes it all the more fun! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankind wrote:
    dankind wrote:

Young man, go forth and read more Bukowski.

His cast of losers and alter ego Hank Chinaski are usually so damn miserable and rotten because they were treated rottenly and miserably throughout their lives.

In the meantime, this is a go-to fun page for me: http://archives.progressiveboink.com/ar ... -bukowski/

Yep, read post office and ham on rye. I don't recall his characters being nice, though I understand the abuse part.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Our general (and hopefully insignificant) hypocrasies aside, I think kindness is sorta like honor and integrity; either it's part of you or it's not.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    Our general (and hopefully insignificant) hypocrasies aside, I think kindness is sorta like honor and integrity; either it's part of you or it's not.

Speaking of kind, you are one of the kindest people here
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

Aww! Thank you, sir :)
    870341-bigthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Aww! Thank you, sir :)
    870341-bigthumbnail.jpg

Awww! I have a soft spot for puppies
  • Options
    JBiiJBii Lake Spivey Posts: 354
    "to be truly kind one must care first"
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    JBii wrote:
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JBii wrote:
    +1
    yep great quote that one is hit the nail on the head of the pretenders :lol:
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    It's amazing what a little bit of kindness can do for the soul. The best is when you're hurting, maybe even just slightly, and someone reaches in just a little bit to make you feel seen...make you feel like you matter. Often it's just a small gesture and they may have no idea the depth of the impact it has had on you...but wow...it can just change everything about how you're feeling in the moment. I've had that experience on here a few times...someone reaching out in some small way. :) I love this quote by Maya Angelou: "“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i am amazed by church goers who will not help feed poor hungry migrant workers from mexico. unfucking real. and the kicker... they are very well off
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Church goers? I guess the person who starts a thread can take it off topic. Not sure how a lll this works. Maybe the church-goers are too busy raising money and planning relief efforts in their communities and worldwide, donating to many charities and tithing in the church. Is it a good time to ask ourselves what have WE done today ?

“You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.”
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    JBii wrote:
    Church goers? I guess the person who starts a thread can take it off topic. Not sure how a lll this works. Maybe the church-goers are too busy raising money and planning relief efforts in their communities and worldwide, donating to many charities and tithing in the church. Is it a good time to ask ourselves what have WE done today ?

“You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.”
    good morning, pandora

yesterday talking with a family member of these religious folks, i told my story about detassling corn as a teenager and how the crew i was on would all bring extra sack lunch items to chip in & feed hungry hard working migrant mexican workers who would work 10 hr days or longer and have zero food & drank very little water as well.

i was then informed they would not allow their children to pack extras to help hungry co-workers out in the fields who are hungry & penniless.

they preach christianity but are some of the lousiest human beings i ever have had the displeasure of knowing personally
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    chadwick wrote:
    JBii wrote:

good morning, pandora

yesterday talking with a family member of these religious folks, i told my story about detassling corn as a teenager and how the crew i was on would all bring extra sack lunch items to chip in & feed hungry hard working migrant mexican workers who would work 10 hr days or longer and have zero food & drank very little water as well.

i was then informed they would not allow their children to pack extras to help hungry co-workers out in the fields who are hungry & penniless.

they preach christianity but are some of the lousiest human beings i ever have had the displeasure of knowing personally
    I have seen this quote as a bumper sticker and cannot find a definitive tie to Ghandi, but he is claimed to be the author: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

But he is also quoted as saying this: “The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful then a thousand heads bowing in prayer.” Love that! :D
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    Awesome quotes in this thread! And cbg, you're right in terms of kindnesses being extended toward us...their effect.

It's funny how that comes through even in this medium.

I guess we all recognize genuine kindness, whether we're on the giving or receiving end. And if the former is a so-called pretender, ultimately, they know it and have to live with it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    chadwick wrote:
    JBii wrote:

good morning, pandora

I have seen this quote as a bumper sticker and cannot find a definitive tie to Ghandi, but he is claimed to be the author: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

But he is also quoted as saying this: “The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful then a thousand heads bowing in prayer.” Love that! :D
    The reason i know for sure that Jesus was just a man and not the son of god who will come back is because if that were true, he already would have come back and kicked the Christians' asses all up and down the street for what they've done and what they say in his name. As is it, he's just rolling.in his grave.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    hedonist wrote:
    Awesome quotes in this thread! And cbg, you're right in terms of kindnesses being extended toward us...their effect.

It's funny how that comes through even in this medium.

I guess we all recognize genuine kindness, whether we're on the giving or receiving end. And if the former is a so-called pretender, ultimately, they know it and have to live with it.
    There's a real science to what happens to our nervous systems when we give and receive genuine kindness (oxytocin being released, dopamine firing away) which is why it feels different when someone is just going through the motions without a true kindness tied in. Whether or not we can name it, we pick on that sense of guardedness or condenscension or whatever it is that simmers below the surface, vs when we pick up the good vibes of a genuinely kind person. The giver also doesn't experience the same benefits if they're just pretending. If we did a brain and body scan we'd see totally different things happening physiologically. Cool stuff - at least to me :lol: It definitely comes through in this medium. Always feels good to see even the smallest expressions of kindness :)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Kindness rocks, I love to give people compliments and see how happy they get :D
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    I practice kindness. The result is happy people around me.
    Don't be a dick - the rule to live by.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
This discussion has been closed.