Options

15 Years Ago Tonight....

ZodZod Posts: 10,104
edited June 2013 in The Porch
Missoula, Montana!

My first real Pearl Jam experience. I'd seen them once before at Lolla '92, but that was a short set with a band I wasn't nearly as familiar with.

It was the first date of the North American tour (introducing Matt Cameron on drums... well sort of, I think he played a club show a few weeks prior). It was the first proper tour in quite a while and there was crazy insane energy amongst the whole city. We arrived two days early and this crazy storm blew over Missoula nearly flooding it. We were camping at the KOA and I ended up sleeping in the car (rented a cabin for the next night).

It was sort of a cheat for us. I was at the start of a Cross Canada road trip, but we were afraid we wouldn't make it back in time for the Vancouver show. So we took a minor detour once we got to Calgary and headed South.

I can't believe it's been 15 years. It's still one of my favorite PJ show's to this day! I also wonder how life turned out for the guy who proposed to his girlfriend on stage.... that's an epic engagement story!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Road trip, camping, PJ... Sounds good. I have no idea about the places you talk about but I can visualize. Really.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,104
    I don't remember much about Missoula anymore.. but I have this memory of being trapped in a restaurant whole some of the roads downtown got flooded from all the rain.

A guy hopped into a truck with a beer in his hand and a cop saw him do it. My buddy was trying to figure out why the cop didn't stop him. The cop basically said you can drink and drive as long as you don't drive drunk!

Combine this with the fact Montana had just removed speed limits on certain stretches of highway/freeway and it instantly became one of my favorite states :)

I think they recinded the no speed limit rules since then.. but I'm not sure where the drinking and driving one stands :)
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    Zod wrote:
    Missoula, Montana!

My first real Pearl Jam experience. I'd seen them once before at Lolla '92, but that was a short set with a band I wasn't nearly as familiar with.

It was the first date of the North American tour (introducing Matt Cameron on drums... well sort of, I think he played a club show a few weeks prior). It was the first proper tour in quite a while and there was crazy insane energy amongst the whole city. We arrived two days early and this crazy storm blew over Missoula nearly flooding it. We were camping at the KOA and I ended up sleeping in the car (rented a cabin for the next night).

It was sort of a cheat for us. I was at the start of a Cross Canada road trip, but we were afraid we wouldn't make it back in time for the Vancouver show. So we took a minor detour once we got to Calgary

and headed So

Hey man,
    Theres a few victoriaites on here we should get together over beers sometime and talk some pj.

I can't believe it's been 15 years. It's still one of my favorite PJ show's to this day! I also wonder how life turned out for the guy who proposed to his girlfriend on stage.... that's an epic engagement story![/quot
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    Wow..15 years..Woke up early that day and hiked in Yellowstone and saw Old Faithful too. Then drove like crazy..and luckily got a hotel room in town. Amazing show..was at railing or front of floor for most of show. Town partied like crazy that night, but not me..I was beat. Still have the show poster framed and hanging on my wall.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Zod wrote:
    I don't remember much about Missoula anymore.. but I have this memory of being trapped in a restaurant whole some of the roads downtown got flooded from all the rain.

A guy hopped into a truck with a beer in his hand and a cop saw him do it. My buddy was trying to figure out why the cop didn't stop him. The cop basically said you can drink and drive as long as you don't drive drunk!

Combine this with the fact Montana had just removed speed limits on certain stretches of highway/freeway and it instantly became one of my favorite states :)

I think they recinded the no speed limit rules since then.. but I'm not sure where the drinking and driving one stands :)

God, I love the link between PJ and traveling, seeing new places. I could start this much earlier and it makes me yearn sometimes. But still holding on to what I got now.

In Germany, cops were also very loose with drinking and driving. Never saw an alcohol control on the road. Once I hit a jeep from behind while I was checking out some girls on the road and my car got smashed. I called the cops and when they came, I said I am guilty but still need the report for insurance. Cops had this attitude like, Why the hell we have been called for this? It was the time of 2006 World Soccer Cup in Germany. The driver of the jeep appeared drunk, cops asked about it and he said one apple wine. Cops led him go, no more questions were asked.

And Russia, it is completely the opposite swing. You would eat some grapes at home, some tiramisu at a cafe and you'll get caught with driving with alcohol. It is zero promil policy. Cops really use that to their advantage. The bribe in Moscow if you get caught is like USD 1.500-2.000, no kidding.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1