Options

Reformist Hassan Rouhani wins Iran presidential election

dignindignin Posts: 9,303
edited June 2013 in A Moving Train
Maybe a chance of a more peaceful resolution to the Iran situation? Or am I being to optimistic?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22916174
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,760
    You are. as I understand it , the Mullahs are the true power.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    You are. as I understand it , the Mullahs are the true power.

True, but the people voted overwhelmingly for him. Ali Khamenei may have to take notice.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,760
    dunno, they sure put a beat down on the initial uprising in 09.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    That the result of this vote was allowed to stand has to be seen as a good sign. It may be optimistic, sure, but sometimes the situation calls for optimism.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Won't do a thing in my opinion...

Only time will tell... The Ayatollah is the one with the real power
  • Options

Again I may be optimistic but it's the people of Iran who have the real power. They brought the Ayatollah to power and they can take it away. He has to know this.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    well ... it's all relative ... he's definitely a moderate relative to the rest of the candidates ... i think the clerics messed up by allowing only one moderate to run ... essentially, splitting the vote for more hard line candidates ...

either way - the rhetoric should be a little bit better unless the media continues to look for sound bites to help push agendas ...
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    dignin wrote:

Again I may be optimistic but it's the people of Iran who have the real power. They brought the Ayatollah to power and they can take it away. He has to know this.

Good point
  • Options
    dignin wrote:

people of iran have very little power ... it's similar to israel over there ... the hardline right wingers are in control ... in the case of iran it is the ruling clerics backed by the revolutionary guard ... if not for cia/british coup of mosadegh - iran would likely be the most progressive country in the middle east ... but when you try and meddle for greed - this is the result ... they haven't loosened their grip since ... remember - the clerics determine who can run ..
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    ....and soon this new guy will bw asking for the support of the USA to fight off the bad guy's and once again we'll be the bad Americans right ??

Godfather
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    ....and soon this new guy will bw asking for the support of the USA to fight off the bad guy's and once again we'll be the bad Americans right ??

Godfather

who would be the bad guys?
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather

who would be the bad guys?

the ones with least control of the oil......?

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

so ... the US/Britain? ... why would Iran ask the US for help against the US?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    This is a ploy by Iran to help with their nuke strategy in the international community. They soften their image while still cranking full speed ahead in their nuke program.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    This is a ploy by Iran to help with their nuke strategy in the international community. They soften their image while still cranking full speed ahead in their nuke program.

i suppose it's harder for the US to wage war on a more moderate iran (and north korea for that matter) but i don't see the sanctions being lifted anytime soon ...

really tho - if the US and Israel can have nukes ... why can't Iran? ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

i suppose it's harder for the US to wage war on a more moderate iran (and north korea for that matter) but i don't see the sanctions being lifted anytime soon ...

really tho - if the US and Israel can have nukes ... why can't Iran? ...
    I'd prefer if no one has nukes. Stopping further countries from developing them should be the entire world's concern.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

so ... the US/Britain? ... why would Iran ask the US for help against the US?

tell ya what, wait and see if I'm wrong you guy's always say the US is always sticking its nose where it don't belong and in most cases the US is called upon for support.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I'd prefer if no one has nukes. Stopping further countries from developing them should be the entire world's concern.

then why not engage in a disarmament treaty!? ... north korea has said it would get rid of their nukes if the US did ... i'm just not sure how you can ask a country to refrain from nuclear proliferation when it's biggest threats have them ...
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    tell ya what, wait and see if I'm wrong you guy's always say the US is always sticking its nose where it don't belong and in most cases the US is called upon for support.

Godfather.

it just doesn't make any sense is all ... unless you think there is gonna be a civil war in iran - the next biggest threats are israel and the US ... so, it doesn't really make sense to think that iran would ask for support from the US ...

if there is indeed a civil war - you can be sure that iran will blame the US which is likely the cause ... so, still no logic in asking for US assistance ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

then why not engage in a disarmament treaty!? ... north korea has said it would get rid of their nukes if the US did ... i'm just not sure how you can ask a country to refrain from nuclear proliferation when it's biggest threats have them ...
    North Korea also said that the first time Kim Jong-il picked up a golf club, he shot a 38-under par round on North Korea's only golf course, including 11 holes-in-one. I somehow remain skeptical to any offers and claims made by that country.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    North Korea also said that the first time Kim Jong-il picked up a golf club, he shot a 38-under par round on North Korea's only golf course, including 11 holes-in-one. I somehow remain skeptical to any offers and claims made by that country.

sure ... that's fair ... but the reality is that if you want a nuke free world - everyone has to get rid of them ...