Options

STP hire Chester Bennington as new singer

2»

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Not a LP fan, though I dig the song somewhere I belong. Chester is a very intelligent, bright and nice guy.

Question becomes.....would you go see Scott Weiland and his band or STP with Chester if you had to pick one? Given many of the same songs would be played.
    All things considered, I think I would actually pick STP w/Chester.

Same here. Those recent videos of Weiland and his solo band were some of the lousiest most amateur clips I've ever seen, excluding only stuff that get's uploaded b/c it so bad. The replacements couldn't even play the right parts.

You know that the Deleo's are gonna bring it.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Question becomes.....would you go see Scott Weiland and his band or STP with Chester if you had to pick one? Given many of the same songs would be played.
    All things considered, I think I would actually pick STP w/Chester.

I don't think I'd bother with either at this point.

So much of what I like about STP is Scott's stage presence, but he seems totally lost in his addiction at the moment, and incapable of giving consistently good performances. Last time I saw them live was 2010, technically speaking he sounded pretty strong, but you could see he wasn't all there.

I don't know if it was just nerves, but Chester seemed a bit awkward in those live videos, and he sounded pretty flat on some of the songs - most noticeably Interstate Love Song, his voice isn't quite deep enough.

I guess it depends where you set the bench mark, my favourite memory of seeing STP live was on the same tour as this performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIQf_3Cw6Q4 - and I just don't see Bennington and co touching this.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUxphzf4fwHNsVfil3Qflftw3tci7Bek18I1VlEGvdROrd9PYy
  • Options
    FYI Scott is playing in LA on May 29th, while STP are playing in LA on May 30th. Would have been even funnier if they'd been playing the same night.
  • Options
    I disagree. I think Talk Show was as strong a record as any STP record. They just didn't have the "star power" to get any support from radio or their record company.

That star power being Scott Weiland.....

give this man a gold star!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    What an incredibly horrible fucking idea.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I disagree. I think Talk Show was as strong a record as any STP record. They just didn't have the "star power" to get any support from radio or their record company.

That star power being Scott Weiland.....

give this man a gold star!

I think you kind of missed what I was saying. Dave Coutts is a fine singer, and the Talk Show record is very solid, and I'm sure there are others who might consider it as good as STP. However, you have to question why a record including 3/4 of one of the biggest bands around at the time didn't sell quite as well. My point in all of this, not to sound too cliched, is that Weiland has the X factor, that is what he brings to STP. Chester Bennington isn't a bad singer, and technically speaking he can probably sing most of their material, but to my ears something is missing. Probably the same thing that prevented the Talk Show record being elevated from a really decent rock record to a stone cold classic.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Jason P wrote:

:lol: CHESTER COPPERPOT!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    As much as I think Weiland is a fuck up, STP is nothing without him, and shouldn't go on with a different singer. Sorry.
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Jason P wrote:

:lol: CHESTER COPPERPOT!!!
    :lol::lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    I think you kind of missed what I was saying. Dave Coutts is a fine singer, and the Talk Show record is very solid, and I'm sure there are others who might consider it as good as STP. However, you have to question why a record including 3/4 of one of the biggest bands around at the time didn't sell quite as well. My point in all of this, not to sound too cliched, is that Weiland has the X factor, that is what he brings to STP. Chester Bennington isn't a bad singer, and technically speaking he can probably sing most of their material, but to my ears something is missing. Probably the same thing that prevented the Talk Show record being elevated from a really decent rock record to a stone cold classic.

no, I think we're on the same page here, sort of. of course the 4 of them together were something that none of them are seperately. However, I think it all boiled down to support from the record company. back then there was no self promotion online, it was all the record company putting money down where they thought it would benefit them the most, and 99 times out of 100, if you didn't have that backing, you were certain to fail. And STP just doesn't have the rabid following that other bands do where they'd just buy anything with the deleo brothers involved.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Scott Weiland and band play LA last night, Chester-STP play LA tonight. Interesting and so weird. I wonder if they draw similar crowds?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Scott Weiland and band play LA last night, Chester-STP play LA tonight. Interesting and so weird. I wonder if they draw similar crowds?

I highly doubt it. STP would draw the douchebag quotient (now with the Linkin Park connection) and the casual STP fan whereas Weiland would draw the uber-fan, kind of like Ed does.

I have all of Weiland's solo albums (except the xmas one), and I wouldn't touch his solo show if I was paid. He's a train wreck.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    It just isn't right. He's a whiny nugget from a crappy nu-metal band for gonky teenagers.

They could have at least got someone more appropriate to the sound - or did they just go for someone who would get a lot of press and attention?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    DewieCox wrote:
    The Deleo brothers are pretty amazing.
    +1
    Scott gave the band character, but the brothers provide the music.
  • Options
    Olivavu wrote:
    It just isn't right. He's a whiny nugget from a crappy nu-metal band for gonky teenagers.

They could have at least got someone more appropriate to the sound - or did they just go for someone who would get a lot of press and attention?

they basically admitted the latter, saying they wanted someone famous, so they didn't go through a Talk Show thing again.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    I'll file this under who gives a shit ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    The first meeting of the Official "We Hate Weiland" Club happened at the MusiCares show last week. Slash and Duff joined STP on stage to cover 'All The Young Dudes'

http://youtu.be/Dlha2EhuuKY
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Im just surprised this Chester Cobblepot or whatever his name is, is willing to wear another mans underwear.

Is he gonna sing Plush, Big Empty, Vasoline, etc?? :fp:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Im just surprised this Chester Cobblepot or whatever his name is, is willing to wear another mans underwear.

Is he gonna sing Plush, Big Empty, Vasoline, etc?? :fp:
    of course he is
    otherwise people wouldnt go to the shows :lol: