Options

Phish

pjfan2pjfan2 Posts: 57
edited August 2013 in Other Music
So I heard Reba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrJ5M2pYUY and I really loved it. Which other albums or songs should I listen to?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pearljam133pearljam133 Posts: 202
    Mike's Song, Julius, Chalkdust Torture, Tweezer, Bouncing Around The Room, Weekapaug Groove, You Enjoy Myself, Maze, Backwards Down The Number Line, ect.... Theres so many but these are some good songs for.someone who hasn't heard much Phish yet. I think you'll love them, they're a fun band.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    David bowie, suzy greenberg,wilson, are all great. as far as albums Rift, picture of nectar and Billy Breathes are wonderful.
  • Options
    If they are playing near you this summer, go see em. lawn seats are $50 and youll have an awesome time.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I just finished "Lawn Boy" on RSD vinyl.
    Great album lots of fun and sounds incredible!

Made me want to "Bounce around the room" ;)

Whoever is going to PJ and Phish in July I'm green with envy and :mrgreen:
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I'm going to see Phish this summer for the first time. I know mainly just their live album, A Live One - which I love. So, my buddy that I'm going with is a huge fan. He told me to listen to these albums in this order to get ready for the show:

Junta
    Rift
    Lawn Boy
    A Picture of Nectar
    Farmhouse
    Hampton Comes Alive
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    yeah, just get 'a live one' and go from there. if you can't get into that album, chances are you won't get into phish. even though i like a lot of them, their studio albums aren't what it's all about, really.

i've been listening to a lot of 'the squirming coil'. the piano outro is almost always sublime.

also: http://www.phishtracks.com/
  • Options
    zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    gonna be a fun summer

and a pretty deece fall tour is incoming as well
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    whoever has questions.....go. I'm here for ya
  • Options
    Thanks for all the album and song recommendations! I'm really getting into Phish, they are so good :D Can anyone recommend some really good live albums or shows to listen to?
  • Options
    pjfan2 wrote:
    Thanks for all the album and song recommendations! I'm really getting into Phish, they are so good :D Can anyone recommend some really good live albums or shows to listen to?
    A Live One is their most popular live commercial release. Its a compilation of songs from shows in '94 I think. But there's so many good shows. Any New Year's Eve show would be great to listen to. NYE 95 is really good. They have a bunch of boxsets like Hampton Comes Alive, Chicago 94, Alpine Valley 2010, and plenty more. Pick up a DVD to see how awesome a show is too haha. But Phish is incredible, I'm seeing them in Toronto and Chicago after PJ this summer!
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    pjfan2 wrote:
    A Live One is their most popular live commercial release. Its a compilation of songs from shows in '94 I think. But there's so many good shows. Any New Year's Eve show would be great to listen to. NYE 95 is really good. They have a bunch of boxsets like Hampton Comes Alive, Chicago 94, Alpine Valley 2010, and plenty more. Pick up a DVD to see how awesome a show is too haha. But Phish is incredible, I'm seeing them in Toronto and Chicago after PJ this summer!

Dude that is awesome! I think I am going to try to get tickets for Phish in NJ.
  • Options
    Go for it man, you'll have a great time! Another great thing about Phish: your ticket has a code for a free download of the show which is available hours afterwards!!
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    look up MKDevo on youtube.....top notch phish videos (and PJ too) from a fan's perspective. he does most east coast shows and has the full videos of those shows uploaded in the best quality you can find.

each several years of phish will offer a different style of playing.....my fav. is 1997 (year of the funk), but the 3.0 era (which we are currently in) is very good. reminds me of older phish (90-93) with shorter jams on songs. very rarely do they really stretch out songs now, gone are the days of the 3-4 song set.

if your looking to get shows, try 12/31/95 - the island tour from 98, a live one. for newer shows, anything from dicks stadium or whatever they call it is great.

each ticket stub also gives you a free download of that show...i'll see if I have any unused ones I can give ya.
  • Options
    look up MKDevo on youtube.....top notch phish videos (and PJ too) from a fan's perspective. he does most east coast shows and has the full videos of those shows uploaded in the best quality you can find.

each several years of phish will offer a different style of playing.....my fav. is 1997 (year of the funk), but the 3.0 era (which we are currently in) is very good. reminds me of older phish (90-93) with shorter jams on songs. very rarely do they really stretch out songs now, gone are the days of the 3-4 song set.

if your looking to get shows, try 12/31/95 - the island tour from 98, a live one. for newer shows, anything from dicks stadium or whatever they call it is great.

each ticket stub also gives you a free download of that show...i'll see if I have any unused ones I can give ya.

Thanks so much! Yeah, I just got lawn tickets for the Phish show in NJ :D how is the concert sitting on the lawn (if you ever did that for a Phish show)?
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    anything from dicks stadium or whatever they call it is great.

we love dicks!
  • Options
    pjfan2 wrote:

Thanks so much! Yeah, I just got lawn tickets for the Phish show in NJ :D how is the concert sitting on the lawn (if you ever did that for a Phish show)?

haven't looked for any unused stubs yet, but check out phishtracks.com, that should entertain you for a while. also, look up the phish spreadsheet. phishtracks has every show available to stream for free, and the spreadsheet is every show in a good AUD recording free to download.

as for the lawn, you'll have an absolute blast, but do try to find a spot where you can see a sightline to the stage so you can get part of the light show (5th member of the band). Wish I was hitting up NJ, I'd come find ya, looks like it's only a few nights at SPAC for me this summer.

also, it's their 30th anniversary, so expect a big tour come fall time I'm guessing.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    pjfan2 wrote:
    So I heard Reba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrJ5M2pYUY and I really loved it. Which other albums or songs should I listen to?

First off: Great choice of Reba. That's an all-timer version (though I think a bit overrated when compared to some others).

Second: I got your back. I have a TON of Phish stuff. You name it: early "out to destroy the world" stuff, mid-90's tension/peak jams (my favorite era), late 90's funk, more recent ambient jams. Whatever floats your boat, I can help. Drop me a PM and I'll hook you up,
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

Halloween '94 Divided Sky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtowGfet ... ge#t=1020s

the whole song is about 15 mins....with a long silent pause in the middle before the jam.

(also in this set is a ridiculous version of Julius and another GREAT Reba)
  • Options

Prague Ghost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVNSHBiG4RE
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    highly recommend "Jennifer Dances"
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    choop wrote:

it's up there with dr. gabel
  • Options
    choop wrote:

Go directly to jail.
  • Options
    Down With Disease - 12/1/95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uCSy67k16c

A scorcher
  • Options
    Worcester Boogie On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SdQ#t=904s

I was there, about 10 feet from the stage dead center. The whole Carini through Boogie section of set II was some of the best Phish I have ever seen.
  • Options
    In my opinion one of the top 4-5 things they have ever done:

David Bowie, Chicago '94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xINO_MW9U

The build up to the riff at the 14:50 mark sends chills through my spine EVERY time.
  • Options
    zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    choop wrote:

well its no summer of 89 or anything
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Anyone looking for 2 tickets to Bangor?
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    BinFrog wrote:

Prague Ghost

:clap::clap: Thank you :angel:

This makes me feel better today :thumbup:

Can't wait for July 20th at Northerly Island 8-) ............... & July 19th at Wrigley :mrgreen:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

Prague Ghost

:clap::clap: Thank you :angel:

This makes me feel better today :thumbup:

Yeah...it's pretty freaking amazing.
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    AndySlash wrote:
    anything from dicks stadium or whatever they call it is great.

we love dicks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sTjO4rynT8
    "We all love Dick's" :shifty:

Friday night's FUCK YOUR FACE setlist & "We love Dick's" was something else :crazy:

Heading back there again this year. Can't wait to see what's in store 8-) .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!