1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    In the fall of 1991, a friend of mine brought this cassette over & said we HAD to give it a listen. At first, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Slowly, Ten started to grow on me, but in reverse. I liked side 2 much more than 1. Then, the following March 31st at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus, Ohio, it all clicked. I saw a show that transformed my musical life! I've been a faithful diehard ever since.
    So, to answer the question, the first PJ song I ever heard was Once. The first one I became emotionally attached to was Release. Let's just say that I was having some mommy and daddy issues at that stage of my life. Lol!
    I've since emoted over Faithful, LBC, Off He Goes, Gone, Just Breathe... Too many to list. Hey, I'm a sensitive guy! Lol!
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH 08-26-1998
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

"It's already been sung, but it can't be said enough, 'All you need is love.'" LBC
  • Options
    Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    Alive 1991
  • Options
    RearviewmirrorerRearviewmirrorer San José, Costa Rica Posts: 18
    Jeremy....
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Im pretty sure it was alive but i liked them when i heard jeremy
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Garden. It literally saved my life! I stole Ten from my youngest brother, and the rest is history. Since then, PJ has written music over the last 25 years, that have totally and completely fit right into and spoken to me exactly where I was in my life.. Even Backspacer! Lol and for some reason that's funny to me, cause it's got some goofy stuff in there.. But it was exactly what I needed right then.. Although the song that really fuckrd me up in the head for a minute and made me watch these guys half terrified and half in awe, was Footsteps. I've survived many many years of abuse, and have the scars from it.. Literal scars.. All down my arms.. So when I heard the lyric I got scratches, all over my arms, one for each day since I fell apart.. I almost choked! I had to keep rewinding it.. Did he really just say that?? It was do creepy! Then I heard Daughter.. That cemented it! This band wrote songs for me!! Lol at least that's how it felt. My sister ( who is the one who brought Ten home with her ), hit to go to Wrigley with me last year. And I finally got to thank her for giving me PJ.
  • Options
    TheiaTheia Posts: 145
    Jeremy. I remember watching the video. I guess on MTV.
    I thought Eddie was scary. Didn't listen to Pearl Jam again until 2004! Not intentionally. Just in my own little world working and raising two boys. I don't think Eddie's scary anymore. :)
  • Options
    vickisomoyavickisomoya Seattle, WA Posts: 184
    edited February 2015
    Early 90's, I heard "Black" on the radio driving in my blue firebird from St. Pete to Tampa. I remember thinking "who's voice is that?" like Ed already was someone big. He sounded to me like he had been doing it for years. And familiar. Such raw natural talent. Plus the song was so moving and sad.

Shortly after I happened to see the "Even Flow" video where he stage dives into the crowd. I was like holy hell what the fuck was that?! IT WAS AN EXPLOSION! The whole thing...Ed, the guys thrashing, the pit moshing, the SOUND OF it. Just awesome.
    I was really attracted to it but I didn't know why. My friends and I were always into MADONNA and that 80's electronic pop music. I was musically confused.
    Not too long after, I started dating a hard rock drummer who was into even heavier stuff, Metallica and Tool and also Frank Zappa. I started appreciating the energy and musicality of rock music in general.

Much later I heard the song "Given to Fly". It was completely spooky because the lyrics are almost verbatum to something I had written in a journal. It was "Given to Fly" that made me actually buy the album TEN. So then I heard the song "Release" and it was weird because
    The line under my senior picture in my high school yearbook reads...
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me."
    But I graduated in 1981!!!! Which is ten years before TEN....
    So I consider myself a LIFELONG PEARL JAM FAN FROM A PAST LIFE.
    Post edited by vickisomoya on
    take the reigns and
    steer us towards the clear here
    I know it's already been sung
    but it can't be said enough
    ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493

Early 90's, I heard "Black" on the radio driving in my blue firebird from St. Pete to Tampa. I remember thinking "who's voice is that?" like Ed already was someone big. He sounded to me like he had been doing it for years. And familiar. Such raw natural talent. Plus the song was so moving and sad.

Shortly after I happened to see the "Even Flow" video where he stage dives into the crowd. I was like holy hell what the fuck was that?! IT WAS AN EXPLOSION! The whole thing...Ed, the guys thrashing, the pit moshing, the SOUND OF it. Just awesome.
    I was really attracted to it but I didn't know why. My friends and I were always into MADONNA and that 80's electronic pop music. I was musically confused.
    Not too long after, I started dating a hard rock drummer who was into even heavier stuff, Metallica and Tool and also Frank Zappa. I started appreciating the energy and musicality in rock music in general.

Much later I heard the song "Given to Fly". It was completely spooky because the lyrics are almost verbatum to something I had written in a journal. It was "Given to Fly" that made me actually buy the album TEN! Then I heard the song "Release".
    The line under my senior picture in my high school yearbook reads...
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me."
    But I graduated in 1981.
    So I consider myself a LIFELONG PEARL JAM FAN FROM A PAST LIFE.

nice..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    marynicole27marynicole27 USA Posts: 25
    I grew up listening to Uncle Neil and when I was very young I was scrolling through youtube videos for "Rockin In The Free World" and there was Pearl Jam, Pinkpop '92. I've been hooked since.
    November 1, 2013 - Voodoo Festival
    October 5, 2014 - ACL festival

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    I absolutely LOVE how these threads get resurrected when new people join the ranks. It's like fresh air blowing in.. Very nice, very nice indeed! Welcome Marynicole27! Glad you found us!
    ( the other fans) .
  • Options
    First song was propably Jeremy or Even flow - definetly something from Ten anyway. I remember the first time I saw the music video for Even flow, I got chills down my back when Eddie stagedived. First song from PJ that really touched me was Black.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,228
    Jennaroth wrote: »
    First song was propably Jeremy or Even flow - definetly something from Ten anyway. I remember the first time I saw the music video for Even flow, I got chills down my back when Eddie stagedived. First song from PJ that really touched me was Black.

Welcome Jenna! :-h
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Cheers! :blush:
  • Options
    seykooooahseykooooah Istanbul Posts: 32
    Alive. When it's first days of seen on MTV
    God Pearl Jam on you!

July 2, 2012 Prague.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Alive was the first song I heard when it played on MTV. Evenflow made me go out and buy the cassette. Porch was my first love.
  • Options
    Alive when a buddy through it into my other buddy's CD player in his 1984 TransAm. It was in 1991, and Bill told us we had to hear this new band. I was in the backseat and Bryn's stereo system was awesome for the time period. I heard music I had LONGED for. Just like Chris Cornell said, the first time I heard EV sing I heard a person, I heard emotion, I heard someone who felt what I felt. I didn't immediately understand the lyrics, but the pain was evident.
    I immersed myself in the Ten album after I bought it. I would listen to it over and over in my room, loving the guitar and bass and drums, and EV's voice and lyrics. I spent time trying to decipher the lyrics and then interpret them in the mind of an outcast teenager. We were all outcasts.
    It is amazing to me how different the song meanings are now compared to what they were the. To me. Just like this phenomenal itself, as its apparent the song Alive has an entirely new meaning than for what it was originally.
    Pearl Jam was a blessing in my life when I needed it. I found music I could identify with, because until Pearl Jam, nothing gripped me, not even Nirvana. I liked Nirvana, but Pearl Jam, I LOVED and still do.
  • Options
    Alive when a buddy through it into my other buddy's CD player in his 1984 TransAm. It was in 1991, and Bill told us we had to hear this new band. I was in the backseat and Bryn's stereo system was awesome for the time period. I heard music I had LONGED for. Just like Chris Cornell said, the first time I heard EV sing I heard a person, I heard emotion, I heard someone who felt what I felt. I didn't immediately understand the lyrics, but the pain was evident.
    I immersed myself in the Ten album after I bought it. I would listen to it over and over in my room, loving the guitar and bass and drums, and EV's voice and lyrics. I spent time trying to decipher the lyrics and then interpret them in the mind of an outcast teenager. We were all outcasts.
    It is amazing to me how different the song meanings are now compared to what they were the. To me. Just like this phenomenal itself, as its apparent the song Alive has an entirely new meaning than for what it was originally.
    Pearl Jam was a blessing in my life when I needed it. I found music I could identify with, because until Pearl Jam, nothing gripped me, not even Nirvana. I liked Nirvana, but Pearl Jam, I LOVED and still do.

Beautifully put!!
  • Options
    Mine is a bit of a strange story. I am 44...didn't listen to PJ when i was younger...I was too busy trying to be a grown up to enjoy my young adulthood. Married before I was 20, intensive university education, high finance career building, kids etc. By the time I realized that I had missed out I was in my early 40's and had grown apart from my husband-at-the time. i had met a man who became a friend to me at that time like none other. He understood the angst and the sadness and the fear and the guilt I was facing as I was readying myself mentally to tell my husband of 23 years that I wanted a divorce. While at the airport on my way out to see my husband I was texting this friend who suggested I turn on youtube and listen to the song Better Man. I did. What hit me in that moment sitting in the departure lounge as I sat and listened to the words he sang and absorbed the meaning in it was truly profound. I realized that I was at a crossroads. That I could find a million reasons to stay. To not make the hard choice to leave. But this was my life. This WAS in fact my choice to make. I truly did deserve the chance to find a Better Man for me. As I sat there bawling like a baby in that airport that day it was an awakening of sorts for me. I listened and re listened to Better Man that day over and over again, and then I found and consumed In Hiding and then Nothingman, and Rearview Mirror and Alive and Daughter....and by the time my delayed flight finally took off I had become the oldest new fan I suspect there is.

There is a postscript to this story. Since that day a year and a half ago I have become a student of everything about Pearl Jam; their history; their music and their culture. I have travelled around the world as a disciple of the band...even getting as far as the 4th row from the rail at their concert in Trieste. In less than a year I saw them play 7 times. And that friend that showed me my way to Pearl Jam that day has been by my side at every one of those concerts. And now he is also sharing a home and life with me. I truly have found my Better Man ;-)
  • Options
    tamisita wrote: »
    Mine is a bit of a strange story. I am 44...didn't listen to PJ when i was younger...I was too busy trying to be a grown up to enjoy my young adulthood. Married before I was 20, intensive university education, high finance career building, kids etc. By the time I realized that I had missed out I was in my early 40's and had grown apart from my husband-at-the time. i had met a man who became a friend to me at that time like none other. He understood the angst and the sadness and the fear and the guilt I was facing as I was readying myself mentally to tell my husband of 23 years that I wanted a divorce. While at the airport on my way out to see my husband I was texting this friend who suggested I turn on youtube and listen to the song Better Man. I did. What hit me in that moment sitting in the departure lounge as I sat and listened to the words he sang and absorbed the meaning in it was truly profound. I realized that I was at a crossroads. That I could find a million reasons to stay. To not make the hard choice to leave. But this was my life. This WAS in fact my choice to make. I truly did deserve the chance to find a Better Man for me. As I sat there bawling like a baby in that airport that day it was an awakening of sorts for me. I listened and re listened to Better Man that day over and over again, and then I found and consumed In Hiding and then Nothingman, and Rearview Mirror and Alive and Daughter....and by the time my delayed flight finally took off I had become the oldest new fan I suspect there is.

There is a postscript to this story. Since that day a year and a half ago I have become a student of everything about Pearl Jam; their history; their music and their culture. I have travelled around the world as a disciple of the band...even getting as far as the 4th row from the rail at their concert in Trieste. In less than a year I saw them play 7 times. And that friend that showed me my way to Pearl Jam that day has been by my side at every one of those concerts. And now he is also sharing a home and life with me. I truly have found my Better Man ;-)

thanks for sharing this..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    In 91 I was a full on hard rock fan and to be honest thought PJ were crap,then I heard ALIVE and borrowed TEN off a guy I played footy with (Aussie rules) and blew me the fuck away ,so since 92 that band I thought were crap till today are one of the most important things in my life,never miss tours here in Australia of both PJ and Ed solo and go with my son every time
    No band both lyrically and musically moves me as PJ do . I have 6500 odd songs on my iPod over 3000 are,PJ and probably another 1000 Pj related THREE FISH,TEMPLE,MAD SEASON,MLB ETC ETC and that song that swung me back in 92 I have 76 different versions and have listened to 1000's of times and still blows my mind
    So from a guy who titled them crap to the obsessed diehard who has PLJAM as his rego plate on his car,how wrong was he in 91
    ALIVE changed my life , PJ made it !!!!!!!
  • Options
    tamisita wrote: »

And he is a Better Man for having you in his life. Love you babe!
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Went to see the Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins in '91 and was surprised by the opening act (Pearl Jam).
    While the night's hazy, the set list shows Oceans as the first song, but it was the groove of Even Flow that grabbed me by the short and curlies. Porch blew me away as well.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 228
    Once, I was 13 years old, First track of the CD.
    My father bought Ten and putted it loud in the house, A revelation for me! We have never stopped after and we often come together to the shows!!!
    Love you so much Daddy and I'm thankfull that you has always maked me discover the best of music and has taked me with you to shows since I'm a child

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Options
    axellaire8 wrote: »
    Once, I was 13 years old, First track of the CD.
    My father bought Ten and putted it loud in the house, A revelation for me! We have never stopped after and we often come together to the shows!!!
    Love you so much Daddy and I'm thankfull that you has always maked me discover the best of music and has taked me with you to shows since I'm a child

hail to the dad..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    tamisita said:

Wow nice story even though it's sad. Glade that it ended well for you.
    I think it's super cool you found a way to stand up for your happiness.
    I hope the divorce was smooth and that you both feel you are better off.
    Eventhough it is a sad affair for your ex and yourself. I hope you managed to part in sort of a harmony as you mentioned you have kids. Apart from that I hope you can find a way to look back and smile at those years past and not keep the feeling you missed out. Should work out as you are putting this second chance that you have created to good use.
    I hope you get to see Pearl Jam many times after seeing them 7 times last year.
    I'll think of you when hearing Better man at the next show.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited March 2015
    I have been looking at this threat for a long time, but could never figure out what was actually the first time I heard them and I still can't. The most vivit thing I remember is seeing an add for No code in a music magazine. That however was after I heard them. I know I wasn't into Pearl Jam the first time I heard them. I wasn't ready yet as I came from a different musical background although by then I was into rock, but less loud and more melodic. When I borrowed Ten and Superunknown from a friend of mine I was listening to The Beatles, Lenny Krevitz and REM. I gave both Ten and Superunknown back to my friend still not being able to get into it or understand.
    A little while later I saw the cover of No code in that add and thought it looked really cool and remembered them from when I borrowed Ten.
    A few days later I went to that friend and we listend to No code. I liked the combination of Sometimes being followed by Hail, hail. I still do love that small, intimate, mystical vibe of Sometimes and then being hit in the face by Hail, hail.
    A few years later when my girlfriend was with me, we were listening to music in my room at my parents house. I had put three CD's into my stereo and by the time the first album ended, there was less listening going on and more of something else. The second album was No code and Sometimes matched the activity we were throwing ourselves into very nicely. Off course then came Hail, hail and we were scared out of the moment as if someone had yelled BOOOOO!!! The next moment we were laughing, I would say our socks of if they hadn't already been laying on the floor.
    When listening to No code at my friend's house it wasn't exactly the first time I heard Pearl Jam, but it was the moment, the song (Sometimes), the combination that got me hooked.
    I would love to get Sometimes as an opener one day or coming right after Pendulum or Release, wouldn't mind it being followed by Hail, hail.
    Post edited by karmadefect on
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    GabrielleMGabrielleM Brazil Posts: 23
    Let's say that I've been listening to Pearl Jam since I was in the womb LOL
    But the first song that I have memory of is Black, I think, when I was around 5 or 6? I don't really know, my memory is not that really good. Their songs have been a constant presence in my life because both my parents are fans. So when my dad would pick me up to spend some time with me we would listen to Black or Alive in the car and I would be completely mesmerized by those songs, and since then I've been a fan.
    Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable
    EV SOLO (May 7th 2014) || SÃO PAULO (November 15th 2015) || BELO HORIZONTE (November 20th 2015) || LOLLAPALOOZA 2018 || EV SOLO (March 29th 2018)
  • Options
    LauraPJLauraPJ Mendoza, Argentina Posts: 1,777
    I would never forget that moment. Jeremy, MTV. I was in the living room and the tv was on... I heard a new sound, a totally different music and I was like "WTF is this?!". Immediatly felt in love and went to the record store to buy Ten. I was 11 years old.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    Buenos Aires, 11/25/2005
    Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/13/2011
    Buenos Aires, 04/03/2013
    Santiago, 04/06/2013
    Santiago, 11/04/2015
    Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/07/2015
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Heard Alive on MTV in early 92 when I was 11 years old.