Options

Umphrey's McGee

UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 778
edited May 2013 in Other Music
Amazing band. Even better live band. Anyone a fan?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Not a huge fan, but would love to see them live. Just never pulled the trigger for whatever reason. I absolutely love Mantis.
  • Options
    UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 778
    DewieCox wrote:
    Not a huge fan, but would love to see them live. Just never pulled the trigger for whatever reason. I absolutely love Mantis.

Mantis has some good songs, but probably not their best stuff. If I were you I would download one of their podcasts which has a bunch of live stuff on it. And if you get the chance, definitely go see them live. Their ticket prices are usually relatively low.

And from the looks of your avatar and this thread, you have very good musical tastes. MMJ rocks.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,930
    I enjoyed their earlier albums, but they got to proggy around Mantis and they lost me. Their metal and program leanings were fine in small doses, but they went full on between Safety in Numbers and Mantis and they lost me.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    ya, you can say I'm a fan....UMbowl for the win.
  • Options
    Went to the last night of the new years run here in ATL. Absolutely amazing show as always. Super tasty jams all around and great people to hang with. Can't wait for the next one, whenever that may be.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I love these guys and damn can they put on a show! Got tickets for the first of their 2 nights in MD last year, and it blew me away so much that I immediately got tickets to the next night! So versatile and so much fun. And Jake Cinninger is one of the most underrated guitarists out there. Excited to see them again later this month in Detroit!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    psyched to see these guys live for the first time! Catching their 1/27 show in Portland, ME. I am somewhat new to their music and love their new album Zonkey (Radiohead, beastie, Metallica and beck mashups to name a few). Looking forward to a night out with my buddies and listening to some great jams.
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited January 2017
    A buddy of mine talks about these guys all the time. Tells me I'd probably dig them. I have yet to give them a listen.
    They seem to be Chicago Blackhawks fans (I assume they're from Chi?) so that's kinda cool.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Fixer13 said:

psyched to see these guys live for the first time! Catching their 1/27 show in Portland, ME. I am somewhat new to their music and love their new album Zonkey (Radiohead, beastie, Metallica and beck mashups to name a few). Looking forward to a night out with my buddies and listening to some great jams.

get in early for Spafford
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,930

A buddy of mine talks about these guys all the time. Tells me I'd probably dig them. I have yet to give them a listen.
    They seem to be Chicago Blackhawks fans (I assume they're from Chi?) so that's kinda cool.

Yes, they are from Chicago. Most of the band ( I think their Drummer Kris is the only one who didn't) went to Notre Dame together.
  • Options
    Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    UM put on an awesome show at the State in Portland, ME last Friday night! They did a mix of their own tunes, a great cover of the Police tune "When the World is Running Down..." and a full set of improv. Their light show was amazing. Energy was through the roof. I stood right behind the soundboard and the sound came through nice and clear. I think I may have found my new favorite spot for watching a show at this place (other than the rail!). For another perk, we stood right next to one of their many bars. One last note- they played SG's Badmotorfinger during UM's first intermission. Slaves and Bulldozers were blasting. How cool is that?
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • Options
    Listened to some of that show. They sounded better than I thought they would have while missing a guitar. Redman is the man on sax