Options

Sad and Light Years vs Even Flow

2»

Comments

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    They play EF so often because that is their best song. It is the song PJ will be remembered in history of music, not Sad or Light years. This song is one of the flag songs defining an era of grunge scene. It is more than it sounds like Smells like teen spirit.
    That Top 25 in this forum doesn't mean anything, people would be into a particular song at some point and would indicate it at the top. Once their enthusiasm for that song is over in a few weeks, same person would give a totally different Top-25 list. Something that volatile cannot be taken as reference.
    You should also take into account the effort the band puts in to keep this song fresh. In earlier versions, Stone stopped playing during Mike solo, now he not only plays that incredible rhythm but also throws in mini solos of his own. It is a jam song and always played different every time.

Thank you for these links below. During my long period of reading the forums w/o becoming a member, this was the moment I wanted to be a member and join EF appreciation society.

Another thanks to Argentinan crowd who gave a fresh breath to this awesome song again.

veddertown wrote:
    I brought back the Top 25 thread, and although not scientific, Even Flow has a hard time cracking the Top 50 in everyone's voting, and that thread has a ton of responses, so I don't see how a song that most people in here don't include in their top 25 Pearl songs, why the band is determined to play it more than any other song in their catalog, they have so many better songs that Even Flow

:fp:

It still has a lot of love on these boards despite a high number of people who say they would be happy to never hear it again. I should point out that even being pro Even Flow that I do think some of the more recent versions haven't been as good. I don't mind it being a bit faster or heavier but it loses it's appeal when it actually feels rushed. Also I hate when Ed gets the crowd to sing the chorus after Mike's solo because it's simply too loud a song for a sing along. I think there's only a few boots where you can actually hear it properly.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=134650&hilit=appreciation
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=100827&hilit=even+flow+psychos
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    please don't compare Even Flow to Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smells Like Teen Spirit is on a whole different level and no Even Flow is not their best song, not one person in here said it was and we all listen to them all the time, it is only their best song to the casual fan, maybe, although most people would pick Alive or Even Flow, please don't pretend Even Flow is anywhere near as good as Smells Like Teen Spirit, it's not, it is just the most overplayed like Smells Like Teen Spirit, only similarity
  • Options
    You bring too much from your own taste to the arguement. Which song is better, EF or SLTP is not the point. i didnot compare EF to SLTP, I said it is an era song like SLTP.

Speaking of personal tastes, IMO, EF is one of the best songs in rock history. It takes its roots from the rock legends like Deep Purple and takes it to a total new level with a different approach.

Maybe casual fans have a point. The fact that hardcore fans find much more to like with PJ does not mean that the band's classical songs should be degraded by hardcore fans.
    please don't compare Even Flow to Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smells Like Teen Spirit is on a whole different level and no Even Flow is not their best song, not one person in here said it was and we all listen to them all the time, it is only their best song to the casual fan, maybe, although most people would pick Alive or Even Flow, please don't pretend Even Flow is anywhere near as good as Smells Like Teen Spirit, it's not, it is just the most overplayed like Smells Like Teen Spirit, only similarity

• Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    jumbojet wrote:
    You bring too much from your own taste to the arguement. Which song is better, EF or SLTP is not the point. i didnot compare EF to SLTP, I said it is an era song like SLTP.

Speaking of personal tastes, IMO, EF is one of the best songs in rock history. It takes its roots from the rock legends like Deep Purple and takes it to a total new level with a different approach.

Maybe casual fans have a point. The fact that hardcore fans find much more to like with PJ does not mean that the band's classical songs should be degraded by hardcore fans.
    I am not a casual fan, and EF has been one of my favorite songs since I first heard it in1991. Just because we disagree doesn't make one of us right and the other wrong...it is a matter of personal preference.

On that note, I far prefer EF to SLTS.
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    I'd take 10 Even Flow's before hearing 1 YL again. But of course, that's blasphemy talk 'round these parts.

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    I think Even Flow needs a new spot in the setlist. I'd wouldn't mind hearing it in an encore or even the very last song. I think often where it is played now is a little tired.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,002
    tumblr_lprdu9GN6v1qzfihm.jpg
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Playing it often is not the worst part. I am sad because they've sped Evenflow up so much that it has lost it's "groove"..it's wonderful tempo that was up-beat and yet still ominous. When I want to hear Evenflow these day's I pull out the 'original' (Alternate) studio recording and listen to it a few times. That makes me smile.

Having said all of that I feel that if I never heard Jeremy again it'd be all right with me.

Finally..I'd pay the guys $20 a piece to play Oceans at a show I attended. It is my 'holy grail' of songs I really want to hear live.

i know
    ed barely grazed a consonant during even flow in atlanta last year
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    Its songs like Even Flow why Pearl Jam is an amzining band are are fuckin' amazing to see live. Damn right they should play it every show or near enough. Thankfully the band and the majority of the audience loves it ;)

Rareities are nice but often they are rare for a reason.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    These threads are fucking ridonkulous and in most posts the op comes off as arrogant and superior to others in his "fandom". It seems if you dont agree with him somehow you must be an idiot or a newb. Who gives a flying fuck...it's music...in a 2+ hour show there are bound to be songs that people like and don't like. I've been listening to this band in some form or fashion since March of 1991. I have every single boot available going back to their first show. So I'm def not a casual fan. That said I still dig the older versions of EF...but I don't get bent out of shape if they play the watered down version they're known for nowadays. I know that plenty of people attend shows hoping to hear it. Doesn't matter to me if they are casual fans or not as long as its bringing them joy.
  • Options
    Shawshank wrote:
    These threads are fucking ridonkulous and in most posts the op comes off as arrogant and superior to others in his "fandom". It seems if you dont agree with him somehow you must be an idiot or a newb. Who gives a flying fuck...it's music...in a 2+ hour show there are bound to be songs that people like and don't like. I've been listening to this band in some form or fashion since March of 1991. I have every single boot available going back to their first show. So I'm def not a casual fan. That said I still dig the older versions of EF...but I don't get bent out of shape if they play the watered down version they're known for nowadays. I know that plenty of people attend shows hoping to hear it. Doesn't matter to me if they are casual fans or not as long as its bringing them joy.
    actually, just hate the song, but you guys like it, cool, it is a chance for me to go take a piss break, and maybe that's why they play if that's the case, well that's cool, if not, well a lot of you guys enjoy it, so that's cool too, I hear the feedback, maybe don't agree, oh well it is a free world you can feel however you want, I stated my case, and I am obviously in the minority and I have to accept it, no big deal, but if I never hear the song again, I wouldn't shed a tear, because to me it is just not a great song compared to the rest of the catalog, and to me the worst off Ten, or maybe between the bootlegs and Pearl Jam radio, I have burned out on the song forever, but that is my opinion
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I'm not EVEN going to Justify this Question with an Answer... :lol:
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    actually, just hate the song, but you guys like it, cool, it is a chance for me to go take a piss break

Ok Mods "BAN" Him get Him out of here...haha
  • Options
    i_lov_it wrote:
    actually, just hate the song, but you guys like it, cool, it is a chance for me to go take a piss break

Ok Mods "BAN" Him get Him out of here...haha
    what ever happened to the Fist Amendment? :D
  • Options
    Bro, you better cool off a little bit. Maybe it all boils down to "I like this, you like that" but there is nothing wrong with people discussing.
    Shawshank wrote:

• Options
    bro