124»

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Baseball Stars got some love!

7. "Baseball Stars"

Systems: NES

Year Released: 1989

Superstar Status: I remember spending hours upon hours on this game making every team imaginable. "Baseball Stars" was the first sports game with a battery backup, enabling you to create and save to memory a team of Hall of Famers, a team named after everyone in your school, or even a team of your favorite rappers (they were my best team, thanks to the power hitting Ice-T & I'm serious, I did this). The more you played, the more money you earned, which gave you the ability to upgrade your players. At one point, Deion Sanders and Dr. Dre were the two best players on my cart, just to give you an example of some of the craziness that can happen when a kid gets too much time on his hands and loves making crazy lineups.

There was even a team of all-time greats in "Baseball Stars" led by "Babe," "Hank" and "Cy" (no license, no problem back then), not to mention the ability to keep accurate stats for every player, including batting average and home run totals. Back in 1989, this was mind-blowing stuff.

"'Baseball Stars' became a major hit in many countries worldwide and is often referred to as the best baseball game on the NES platform," SNK's Shinya Morashita said. "It was one of the first sports games to have data memory. Therefore, players could create a team, configure baseball leagues and play a season, and the game's memory chip stored cumulative statistics. 'Baseball Stars' was also the first sports game for the NES to have a create-a-player feature, giving gamers the power to name their players, as well as their teams. The game also introduced a role-playing element; as each game played earns the winning team money, and the amount won is directly related to the sum of the prestige ratings of the players from both teams (as prestige determines how many paying fans attend the game). The money can be used to purchase upgrades to the various abilities of players currently on the roster, or it can be used to purchase pre-designed players (available in the Rookie, Veteran, and All-Star categories). Also a first, a hidden feature allows players to purchase female baseball players."

Pro Talk: Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun says: "'Baseball Stars"' was one that was so much fun, and it's probably the first game I remember playing regularly. It was just something that I really enjoyed, and it increased the passion I had for playing the game of baseball."
  • Options
    So only 1-5 remaining

I think it will go:

5: Mike Tyson's Punch Out
    4: Tiger Woods 2003
    3: Odd Ball like Tony Hawk or something
    2: MVP Baseball 05
    1: Tecmo Super Bowl
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    MayDay10 wrote:
    So only 1-5 remaining

What about 6-10?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Throw out the oddballs like NBA Street and NFL Blitz, they aren't too bad right now.

NFL2K5 had the best presentation ever.
  • Options
    they were given

was like
    Madden 05
    nfl 2k5
    NBA Jam
    Baseball Stars
    something else, forgot
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Throw out the oddballs like NBA Street and NFL Blitz, they aren't too bad right now.

gotta say its a tough list to put down.
  • Options
    My guess ...

5. NHL 94
    4. Mike Tyson's Punchout
    3. Forza 4
    2. Gran Turismo
    1. Tecmo Super Bowl
  • Options
    Oh yeah, forgot about NHL 94

MVP Baseball 05
    NHL 94
    Punch Out
    Woods 03
    Tecmo Super Bowl
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Jason P wrote:

I was a big fan of 2K sports. The NHL series (2K6 is where it peaked) and NFL (2K5 being the last one I bought because I liked it so much I didn't need the new one) were really great. Do they even still make those games? I took a break from buying sports games and just played the ones I had until recently.

I wonder why no racing games? It's technically a sport, if golf is a sport. I don't really play racing games, or like racing, but I think Pole Position belongs here.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    You have it correct. Peaked then and both the nhl and nfl games surpassed madden and nhl 05 and 06. The exclusivity deals prevented 2k from releasing nhl and nfl games, while ea couldn't make mlb games (and 2k butchered it).
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    You have it correct. Peaked then and both the nhl and nfl games surpassed madden and nhl 05 and 06. The exclusivity deals prevented 2k from releasing nhl and nfl games, while ea couldn't make mlb games (and 2k butchered it).

I haven't played NFL 2k5 in a while, but I still play NHL 2k6 all the time. It's the only reason I still have my original XBOX plugged in. My Nieuwendyk, Mogilny and Tucker line will fuck you up. Belfour is usually great in the first 2 periods, but he slides in the third. He'll almost always blow a shutout in the final minute, but the game might be programmed that way to try and keep the novelty of shutouts.
  • Options
  • Options
    Not one racing game? Yet WWF No Mercy makes #5???

Other then that, a solid top 5.
  • Options
    IDK, think I would have had NHL '93 on this list somewhere too.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:
    Not one racing game? Yet WWF No Mercy makes #5???

Other then that, a solid top 5.

agreed. wwf? really? i don't care how good of a game it is. grand turismo should have been on the list.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Now I'm getting angry about how good Gran Turismo 5 could have been if the navigation windows were not such a brutal discombobulation. I remember waiting five years and going thru multiple delays, my first reaction after playing the game was, "They should have spent more time ironing this game out".

Oh, but the intro was pretty awesome.

:fp: :fp:
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    blades of steel got robbed
  • Options
    blades of steel got robbed
    Good call. The only downfall of BOS was that you couldnt elevate the puck.
    Regardless, a classic game that was ahead of its time.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    I wonder who exactly this guy is on the cover:

play_tecmo_sb_200.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    A game I would have included on this list is 1080 Snowboarding on N64. Great, great game.

1080snowboardingbox.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    WWF is not a sport. Yeah yeah, I know, they're very good athletes, but so are Cirque du Soleil performers, that doesn't make it a sport.

I can't believe it either that there isn't a single racing game, especially since they put WWF on there. Pole Position, Excitebike, Rad Racer, etc.
  • Options
    WWF is not a sport.
    How dare you ...

:nono:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    WWF is not a sport.
    How dare you ...

:nono:

SPORTS!!!
    Fake-wrestling-kick.gif
    1239875383_fake_wrestling.gif
    1265308261_fake-wrestling.gif
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    I could beat any of you in Tecmo Super Bowl and RBI Baseball.

Fact!
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    mca47 wrote:

Fact!

You would not be able to stop QB Eagles or my team.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Fact!

Piece of cake. As long as I'm player #1. I can't play for shit as #2. :lol:
  • Options
    confidence-bo-jackson.jpg
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Fact!

Piece of cake. As long as I'm player #1. I can't play for shit as #2. :lol:

I was the same way in NBA Jam. Couldn't be player 2 shooting at the left basket.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I was the same way in NBA Jam. Couldn't be player 2 shooting at the left basket.

My problem was hockey games where you could only play north and south, I was only worth a damn going north.