ESPN ranking top 25 sports video games of all time

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Pre Wrestling. Good call.

I always thought RBI Baseball was vastly overrated. Players were awful looking and gameplay wasnt good.

Always thought that:
    Baseball Stars
    Baseball Simulator 1000
    Bases Loaded
    Hardball 3

were much, much better.

There was a rugby game for Sega that was good. As well as the OG World Cup games.

Current games, NCAA Football is top notch IMO.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    LloydXmas wrote:
    What's the olympic game on the power pad. Can't remember the name.

track and field is the only one i can think of. we were poor and didn't have the pad
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    damn it, now i want to go buy a nintendo

Just download an emulator and some ROMS. You can download a zip file that has damn near every Nintendo game ever in it.

not the same without the controller and the blowing :lol:

Don't forget the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKotxPbgG8Y
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Don't forget the book.

:lol:

i might still have a book laying around
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    81 wrote:
    not the same without the controller and the blowing :lol:

:lol:

put the game in - blue screen
    blow on the game

repeat - blue screen

blow in the system

say multiple bad words

repeat

:lol::lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Baseball Stars

wow, a lot of blasts from the past in this thread.
    Was Baseball Stars the one where you could charge the mound?!? :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Baseball Stars

No. That was Bases Loaded

Baseball Stars was the one where you could create a team, name players, get money, power up players and boost attendance, buy free agents, make trades, and play in a league with teams such as Ghastly Monsters, American Dreams, World Powers, Lovely Ladies, SNK Crushers, Japan Robins, and the Ninja Blacksox
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    MayDay10 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Baseball Stars

No. That was Bases Loaded

Baseball Stars was the one where you could create a team, name players, get money, power up players and boost attendance, buy free agents, make trades, and play in a league with teams such as Ghastly Monsters, American Dreams, World Powers, Lovely Ladies, SNK Crushers, Japan Robins, and the Ninja Blacksox

Oh yeah! now its coming back to me. :mrgreen: I played that one too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Baseball Stars

My brother and I had a long-running competition in that game. The rule was whoever lost the last game had to play the next one as "The Lovely Ladies". That was your shame.

Baseball+Stars+(U)+%5B!%5D-0.png
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Here's a game that sucked big time:

Sports-Illustrated-snes.jpg

I bought it under the logic that I was getting two games for the price of one...which I did. But both games sucked. The football game sucked worse but it was close.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    MayDay10 wrote:
    And right after you spent hours upon hours creating your superteam, the memory card would reset it self

:fp:

And then you would happily re-create the process ...

I bought it under the logic that I was getting two games for the price of one...which I did. But both games sucked. The football game sucked worse but it was close.

I think you're mistaken. The box CLEARLY states that it's two great sports games in one.

I think you're mistaken. The box CLEARLY states that it's two great sports games in one.

lol (and really, I did laugh out loud). yeah I guess I should have seen that. Actually I think I got this for christmas and it wasn't something I had asked for. So it was mom and dad trying their best...which I could respect.

As for a great baseball game on the SNES....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZw3qWlUsZkziFXPxv1R5JMEJXuQeKUuJ8ZY26xRHLXz58WQ1W

Ken Griffey Jr presents Major League Baseball. Fucking loved it. But here's the catch. It came out during the 1994 baseball strike. So other than Griffey, all the other players had fake names (but the real numbers, looked like them (as well as they could on SNES), and played the correct positions. You can edit the names if ya wanted..which I did for a few teams. But the fun part was that many of the players had fake names that very much implied who they were. And they were all first initial and a last name. For instance....

C. Dog = Fred McGriff
    B. Hurt = Frank Thomas
    B. Unit = Randy Johnson

Stuff like that. And many teams had themes. Like the Phillies had John Kruk as R. Balboa and Darren Daulton as A. Creed. And the entire Kansas City Royals team was made up of ex U.S. Presidents (Calvin Cooliage was the ace and he threw HEAT). Really, really fun game.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Baseball Stars

My brother and I had a long-running competition in that game. The rule was whoever lost the last game had to play the next one as "The Lovely Ladies". That was your shame.

A fate worse than death.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited May 2013
    SNK Crushers were the worst team. They did have one power hitter though as the Lovely Ladies didnt have anyone with power. The LL had a bit of speed and better pitching than the SNK Crushers.

The Ghastly Monsters killed me.

just look at this lineup
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfcM_i8av9RG-9743qfHR35wNbXpGQeclKuLBErdHEY91KwjEEhDhGit0
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    1. Tecmo Super Bowl
    2. RBI baseball
    3. Madden Football
    4. NBA Jams
    5. Mike Tyson's Punch out.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Did anybody else have the regular "Punch Out" that came out in 1990 after they stopped using Tyson? It was the exact same game except the final fight was against a douchey looking white guy named Mr. Dream. We already had Mike Tyson's Punch Out, but we bought this thinking it was going to be a different game, like a sequel. That's the type of shit that happened before everybody had the internet and you didn't have a subscription to Nintendo Power.

dream1.jpg

I don't think he's worth the price of an entire game.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Old school:
    Techmo Super Bowl
    RBI Baseball
    Ice Hockey

New School:
    MLB The Show (series)
    NHL series
    Did anybody else have the regular "Punch Out" that came out in 1990 after they stopped using Tyson? It was the exact same game except the final fight was against a douchey looking white guy named Mr. Dream. We already had Mike Tyson's Punch Out, but we bought this thinking it was going to be a different game, like a sequel. That's the type of shit that happened before everybody had the internet and you didn't have a subscription to Nintendo Power.

dream1.jpg

I don't think he's worth the price of an entire game.

Yeah my friend had that version. His moves were all exactly the same as Tyson's...and thus...impossible for me to beat. It's funny. I could beat Super Macho Man (the guy you fight before Tyson/Mr. Dream) without taking a hit. Yet I couldn't last 30 seconds with Tyson.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I never beat Tyson. I probably tried at least 100 times.
    Don't even think I knocked him down.

Pretty sure I broke a few controllers because of that game! :lol:
    The trick with Tyson was to just try and survive the first round, don't even bother throwing a punch. I'm pretty sure they programmed it where you couldn't beat him in the first round, and his punches were stronger in the first. He was still hard as hell after that, but possible to defeat. Most people would just get killed in the first or dig themselves in a hole. Several kids would claim they beat him in the first, but nobody was ever there to witness it of course.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The trick with Tyson was to just try and survive the first round, don't even bother throwing a punch. I'm pretty sure they programmed it where you couldn't beat him in the first round, and his punches were stronger in the first. He was still hard as hell after that, but possible to defeat. Most people would just get killed in the first or dig themselves in a hole. Several kids would claim they beat him in the first, but nobody was ever there to witness it of course.
    My older cousin beat him numerous times back in the day. We played it a while back and neither could come close to beating him. Funny part was he remembered the code like it was 20yrs ago.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Tyson was easy once you memorized his punching patterns. Then you could even rack up stars on him and time it perfectly to crack his ass good.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    it took me longer to get past the Sandman than it did to beat Tyson
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    MayDay10 wrote:
    it took me longer to get past the Sandman than it did to beat Tyson
    Super Macho Man always gave me the most trouble.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Four pages in and no mention of the FIFA series? :fp:

I blame myself, I mentioned some classics earlier but neglected some new era games. FIFA is hands down the best sports game on the market today. Destroys Madden, destroys NHL, destroys The Show.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    As well as the OG World Cup games.

Current games, NCAA Football is top notch IMO.

I did mention it.

Enjoyed FIFA '10 a lot, and the past 2 World Cup games
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    my favs (in no order)
    hattrick.jpg
    _-Grand-Prix-Atari-2600-VCS-_.jpg
    220px-Blades_of_Steel_cover.png
    nbaj.jpg
    tumblr_m9j90jeiRp1r1hqbko1_500.jpg
    Town-x26-Country-Surf-Designs-Wood-x26-Water-Rage.png
    bases-loaded-virtual-console-20080415093412924_640w.jpg
    588458_40279_front.jpg

i don't own any games from this century :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    rival. wrote:

I blame myself, I mentioned some classics earlier but neglected some new era games. FIFA is hands down the best sports game on the market today. Destroys Madden, destroys NHL, destroys The Show.

You can't even find it around here where I live in Dallas. About two years ago I tried to get a copy for my friend's son for his birthday, went to a couple of GameStops and a Target who didn't have them before I retreated to the house to call and check store availability online to find a copy instead of just driving around. No big stores had them, and no GameStop had them, not even a previous installment. It was like it just didn't exist. I had to get it on Amazon, which meant I had to give it to him late since I had procrastinated and was last minute shopping.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    rival. wrote:

You can't even find it around here where I live in Dallas. About two years ago I tried to get a copy for my friend's son for his birthday, went to a couple of GameStops and a Target who didn't have them before I retreated to the house to call and check store availability online to find a copy instead of just driving around. No big stores had them, and no GameStop had them, not even a previous installment. It was like it just didn't exist. I had to get it on Amazon, which meant I had to give it to him late since I had procrastinated and was last minute shopping.

also great soundtracks from FIFA!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly