Trouble with 2005 Bootlegs

Comments

• JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,406

I wanted to share my little project with everyone.

About a year or so back I went to listen to a 2005 show in my car and was amazed at how awful it sounded. No, it wasn't one of the Rockin In The Free World versions Sleater Kinney was singing on, there were these huge dead-air gaps between every song. Nothing worse when you're listening to a show with the volume up and the crowd and music disappear for a few seconds before every song.

Having a modest knowledge in audio software I thought I would try my hand at fixing the audio. But if I was going to do that, I would need to replace my 2005 set of bootlegs I personally ripped and created artwork for.

I spent a few weeks on photoshop re-purposing all the 2005 bootleg PDF's that were included with the original MP3 Downloads.
    I cropped each front cover, modified the spines, and re-typed all the track listings to fit more aesthetically onto a label template I created using the measurements from an existing PJ bootleg. Finding the font proved to be the most difficult part of this process (see above post for font request).
    There is a member here who is big into PJ stickers and has created some of his own. I've received one of these fan made stickers and was really impressed with the quality of the work so I approached them to help me out. They were great in doing so.

After some back and forth and me sending a few sample jpg's, they sent me a physical sample of what the label would look like finished/printed on sticker-backs. I was very pleased with the result so we went forward with the entire 31 shows (Tester included) from 2005.
    A good friend of mine here is very familiar with all kinds of audio software and obviously love PJ recordings. In just one week, he took all the 2005 bootlegs, converted them to WAV files, spliced the dead air off the ends of every single song, re-attached the songs seamlessly, re marked the songs for tracking and uploaded them all as a torrent. So much work. A huge thanks to him. He pretty much did the heavy lifting.
    I started ripping the shows on white-top, blank CD-R's so I could directly print the CD labels on them and not worry about stickers or lightscribing them. I used iTunes so I could include all the Meta Data I wanted for the shows, and then rip the CD's with data text on the CD so where ever these CD's get played, all the track/show information is on the CD's. I also purchased a pack of the cardboard eco-pack CD cases from Neato.com (a site previously discussed in this thread) and when the stickers and cases arrived, I went to work.
    I have about 5 shows from the South American leg of the tour left to rip to CD, but for the most part this project is pretty much complete. I've been contemplating on whether or not I should include a stamp on the inside of each cardboard sleeve like NUGS did when Backspacer shows were being released. They had a "Pearl Jam" Backsapcer logo in theirs. I was thinking of creating a stamp and making one unique to 2005. Still undecided though.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback or constructive criticism regarding this project. I definitely took my time to make sure I didn't cut any corners and in my opinion, they're just a good as what Pearl Jam has been releasing over the past 7 years officially. Huge thanks again to those who helped me with this project. Certainly could not have done it alone.

Thanks for taking a look.

THose look awesome. I did all mine with a direct print to disc and put them in the plastic jewel cases. I'll get them out and post a picture. Haven't listened to 2005 in a while...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    A final little update to my 2005 Project. As I was creating this set I was doing it show by show. I would rip a show, Listen to it on my commute and then rip another one when I was done. I did it this way so I wasn't sitting at my computer for several hours at one and frying my CD burner. Well I got all the way to Sao Paulo and realized I forgot to make the artwork for the second Sao Paulo show and the second Mexico City show. Derp.

Anyway, I finally got the last two shows done and artwork put onto the sticker labels. Now the set is complete.

The final step in this project was printing the labels directly onto the discs. I used white-top CD-R's and they turned out great.

I had a few people asking be about the artwork and whether I'd share. Of course I will. I just wanted to make sure everything was done properly before I started sharing files. Once an error gets shared, it's very difficult to fix and eliminate from circulation.

So if anyone is interested in the CD case label artwork, shoot me a PM and I'll get it to you. Thank you.
  • Amazing job. These are awesome.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    wow, all this trouble for the download? I want some 2005 tour boots on CD, what is your piece of advice?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• YES!!! Thank you! PM sent.
    Quite a few people have asked for the label files I created. Here they are. I think this link lasts for 2 weeks. So get em while you can.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/6462b288171b23d06d510e9ed07b9d3520151112143305/efae6b91ceac179dd8858968824ebc4320151112143305/324bc9
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

Quite a few people have asked for the label files I created. Here they are. I think this link lasts for 2 weeks. So get em while you can.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/6462b288171b23d06d510e9ed07b9d3520151112143305/efae6b91ceac179dd8858968824ebc4320151112143305/324bc9

Thanks!!! :)
  • Great work, Scott!!!
  • RYANPB999RYANPB999 Coventry, Rhode Island Posts: 542
    Absolutely amazing job! This is EXACTLY what I want!
    Having tasted, a life wasted, I'm never going back again!
    Wow I missed this some how. I did all mine in Jewel cases and printed on the CD as well...but I would love to redo the cases in the cardboard and these labels. Any chance they could be posted up again with the info to get the cardboard cases and maybe where they were printed?
    Here are the labels again. I guess someone bumped this thread again and created some interest. Here is a link to download them. It will last 7 days.

Thanks,
    -DMW

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9213fc00982601f64e8dccced524cecb20170116182435/c9f372b5e5b7a377e538d8d2be33aace20170116182435/c3c668
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Nice work and great contribution.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    sweet.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865

About a year or so back I went to listen to a 2005 show in my car and was amazed at how awful it sounded. No, it wasn't one of the Rockin In The Free World versions Sleater Kinney was singing on,

Can't comprehend. SK are too awesome. Only made the 2005 shows better.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381

About a year or so back I went to listen to a 2005 show in my car and was amazed at how awful it sounded. No, it wasn't one of the Rockin In The Free World versions Sleater Kinney was singing on,

Gotta strongly disagree. They clobbered the 03 bootleg encores too.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• I think starting last year Nugs was offering higher quality downloads of the 2005 tour at http://www.nugs.net/Pearl_Jam.htm.

They offer FLAC and ALAC downloads for the entire 2005 tour. Likely not 24 bit HD but they should be at least 16 bit CD quality like the silver boots and not the 192kb quality offered in 2005. Last year I downloaded the Hamilton 05 boot from Nugs and there was a noticeable difference in sound compared to the original mp3.

Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

I think starting last year Nugs was offering higher quality downloads of the 2005 tour at http://www.nugs.net/Pearl_Jam.htm.

They offer FLAC and ALAC downloads for the entire 2005 tour. Likely not 24 bit HD but they should be at least 16 bit CD quality like the silver boots and not the 192kb quality offered in 2005. Last year I downloaded the Hamilton 05 boot from Nugs and there was a noticeable difference in sound compared to the original mp3.

Yes, but I don't quite understand why you should even have the slightest doubt about their nature (they obviously are CD quality 16bit/44.1kHz flacs, and not 24bit HD and hell no shitty quality as the original mp3's).
    Thanks so much.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    on2legs said:

Gotta strongly disagree. They clobbered the 03 bootleg encores too.
    Man. I'll take SK + PJ anytime. SK is a force. Especially Corin's voice.

Got my labels back from the printer! Gonna put them together this weekend. I will have jewel cases that are all printed up and possibly a second set of labels if anyone has any interest in the labels or the jewel cases, hit me up. I can post pictures when I am done it all...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JV130312 said:

Got my labels back from the printer! Gonna put them together this weekend. I will have jewel cases that are all printed up and possibly a second set of labels if anyone has any interest in the labels or the jewel cases, hit me up. I can post pictures when I am done it all...

*RAISES HAND VIGOROUSLY*

all I really care about is the Winnipeg show.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    Are those sticker labels for the actual discs? If so, you'll regret doing that a few years from now. Have many, many discs with sticker labels on them from many years ago that are now worthless due to the glue from the stickers destroying the discs over time. Just a word of caution from experience.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945

I think starting last year Nugs was offering higher quality downloads of the 2005 tour at http://www.nugs.net/Pearl_Jam.htm.

Yah it makes me feel bad for the guy who went maticiously through all the 2005 mp3 boots, and removed the audible tick (silence) between all the tracks. FLACs don't have that problem (and are superior in quality), so it kind of rendered his hard work moot :(

It would be awesome if PJ made the '05 boots available for purchase in the store (cd's) like they did for 2000.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    NHiding said:

Are those sticker labels for the actual discs? If so, you'll regret doing that a few years from now. Have many, many discs with sticker labels on them from many years ago that are now worthless due to the glue from the stickers destroying the discs over time. Just a word of caution from experience.

He might (hopefully) have used those printable CDs...You put them right into the printer.
    edited March 2017
    NHiding said:

No. It's for the cases/Sleeves. My CDs are printed on. I'm going to start the project this weekend. Pretty much exactly like DMW did. He graciously supplied the files and I took them to the printer to get done professionally.

Post edited by JV130312 on
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    JV130312 said:

NHiding said:

No. It's for the cases/Sleeves. My CDs are printed on. I'm going to start the project this weekend. Pretty much exactly like DMW did. He graciously supplied the files and I took them to the printer to get done professionally.

Did they quote you a price? Just out of curiosity in case I decide to go this route.
    They charged me 70 for two sets. 60 for one. If I got through the whole set without any errors, I would split it with someone. I'm kinda meticulous about them though so if one didn't look right, like perfect to me, I'd redo it. But I could give the sleeve and adhered label as well.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    JV130312 said:

They charged me 70 for two sets. 60 for one. If I got through the whole set without any errors, I would split it with someone. I'm kinda meticulous about them though so if one didn't look right, like perfect to me, I'd redo it. But I could give the sleeve and adhered label as well.

I'd be interested in splitting that with you if they turn out well. I'm really meticulous about that stuff too.
  • Sorry butt in, but you were charged $60 for one set of all 2005 sticker labels to put on the chipboard sleeves???
    JV130312 said:

edited March 2017
    Yes. To have them professionally printed and cut. It may have been a few dollars less...57 and change. I didn't think it was a terrible price to,get them professionally done. I was quoted in that neighborhood by a guy on Facebook and a member here as well. I think the guy on face book was $1.75 per label plus shipping and I forget the other one but it was also in that ball park. You think it was too much?
    Post edited by JV130312 on