Options

Trouble with 2005 Bootlegs

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    This makes me want to dig back into my 05' catalog again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    I wanted to share my little project with everyone.

About a year or so back I went to listen to a 2005 show in my car and was amazed at how awful it sounded. No, it wasn't one of the Rockin In The Free World versions Sleater Kinney was singing on, there were these huge dead-air gaps between every song. Nothing worse when you're listening to a show with the volume up and the crowd and music disappear for a few seconds before every song.

Having a modest knowledge in audio software I thought I would try my hand at fixing the audio. But if I was going to do that, I would need to replace my 2005 set of bootlegs I personally ripped and created artwork for.

I spent a few weeks on photoshop re-purposing all the 2005 bootleg PDF's that were included with the original MP3 Downloads.
    I cropped each front cover, modified the spines, and re-typed all the track listings to fit more aesthetically onto a label template I created using the measurements from an existing PJ bootleg. Finding the font proved to be the most difficult part of this process (see above post for font request).
    There is a member here who is big into PJ stickers and has created some of his own. I've received one of these fan made stickers and was really impressed with the quality of the work so I approached them to help me out. They were great in doing so.

After some back and forth and me sending a few sample jpg's, they sent me a physical sample of what the label would look like finished/printed on sticker-backs. I was very pleased with the result so we went forward with the entire 31 shows (Tester included) from 2005.
    A good friend of mine here is very familiar with all kinds of audio software and obviously love PJ recordings. In just one week, he took all the 2005 bootlegs, converted them to WAV files, spliced the dead air off the ends of every single song, re-attached the songs seamlessly, re marked the songs for tracking and uploaded them all as a torrent. So much work. A huge thanks to him. He pretty much did the heavy lifting.
    I started ripping the shows on white-top, blank CD-R's so I could directly print the CD labels on them and not worry about stickers or lightscribing them. I used iTunes so I could include all the Meta Data I wanted for the shows, and then rip the CD's with data text on the CD so where ever these CD's get played, all the track/show information is on the CD's. I also purchased a pack of the cardboard eco-pack CD cases from Neato.com (a site previously discussed in this thread) and when the stickers and cases arrived, I went to work.
    I have about 5 shows from the South American leg of the tour left to rip to CD, but for the most part this project is pretty much complete. I've been contemplating on whether or not I should include a stamp on the inside of each cardboard sleeve like NUGS did when Backspacer shows were being released. They had a "Pearl Jam" Backsapcer logo in theirs. I was thinking of creating a stamp and making one unique to 2005. Still undecided though.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback or constructive criticism regarding this project. I definitely took my time to make sure I didn't cut any corners and in my opinion, they're just a good as what Pearl Jam has been releasing over the past 7 years officially. Huge thanks again to those who helped me with this project. Certainly could not have done it alone.

Thanks for taking a look.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    They look fn great, I can't imagine any criticism of those. Hell I'd pay you to do the same for me for the NA shows.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
    Fantastic job! :) The artwork A+. Love it. But gotta ask ..

The audio, how is it? To convert inferior constant bit rate MP3's @ 192 kbps to Wav format. Then edit those Wav files to burn to audio CDR. Would love to hear this & compare.

Only criticism I have is the last photo. Those stickers should be lined up evenly. :p j/k

Wish Pearl Jam was able to officially release their 2005 tour on official silver CD's. Maybe down the road they will. But till then this project you've created, is AMAZING!!

Good job! :) Wish I had a set like this.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    gotta check that out when I get home. I've been thinking about how to properly do up the 2005 shows recently.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    edited June 2015
    Great work Scott - on every part of this!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this, which leads me to ask - is there a torrent link to share? Or is it on Dime or ZomB or TD or...

Again, GREAT WORK!!!

Also - I'm curious about what sticker labels you're using. Avery? Plain white/matte? Glossy? Thanks again.
    Post edited by monkeewrench on
  • Options
    demetrios said:

...The audio, how is it? To convert inferior constant bit rate MP3's @ 192 kbps to Wav format. Then edit those Wav files to burn to audio CDR. Would love to hear this & compare...

The audio is not as good as the later shows released in FLAC. You can hear the difference in the depth of the live sound in these bootlegs but the difference is nowhere near a place where it would deter me from picking up one of these shows to listen to over ones from a different year. Now that the gaps are gone, It's really enjoyable. They sound great and I'm really happy with them.

I thought these shows were on Dime but I can no longer log in there. Don't know why. I've sent an email to the admins about recovering my account.
  • Options
    monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    Did that torrent include the artwork too?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the torrent only included the original "CD Tray" PDF's and CD labels that were included in the original downloads.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Man.. they really need to release these in FLAC/CD formats. This was a solid tour.
  • Options
    GivenToSmileGivenToSmile Toronto Posts: 231
    What would you charge to do this for me? Honestly
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    I simply don't have the time...but if someone does have the time...both parties could benefit if someone is really interested in having these........I mean..Unless you really have a lot of spare time...You have to at least charge $3-5 each...if not $10 if your doing just one or 2 shows for someone?.As the more you buy, the cheaper it gets...... idk??.. what do ya'll think?.. I have to admit...they look very good and the shows are kick ass... My personal opinion...more than $10 per show would b too steep......PS.,.then there's shipping..."oh, don't get me started on that fn' racket...LOL...Peace,..Curly
  • Options
    Where is the torrent file?
  • Options
    curly said:

I simply don't have the time...but if someone does have the time...both parties could benefit if someone is really interested in having these........I mean..Unless you really have a lot of spare time...You have to at least charge $3-5 each...if not $10 if your doing just one or 2 shows for someone?.As the more you buy, the cheaper it gets...... idk??.. what do ya'll think?.. I have to admit...they look very good and the shows are kick ass... My personal opinion...more than $10 per show would b too steep......PS.,.then there's shipping..."oh, don't get me started on that fn' racket...LOL...Peace,..Curly

Well it wasn't exactly cheap... The stickers ended up being close to $1 each. I made two sets as It was cheaper than making just one set. So about $55 for 62 stickers. The empty cases were $25 (plus shipping) for a pack of 50, the spool of CD's was about $50...The ink for printing directly on the CD labels was quite a bit of black. That adds up. So i'd say actual monetary cost for each show was about $4. But then ripping all the CD's and creating metadata for everything and doing all the leg work, it was a lot more work than $5 worth per show, that's for sure. I've been casually working on this since October, but only recently did all the pieces start coming together once the sticker labels arrived. So yeah, even to make the cases on their own, you would have to charge too much to justify the expenses and time to do each one.

A friend of mine jokingly asked if the 2006 tour was next. I said "not a chance."
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Awesome job Deadmanwalking, I love your creativity, the cds look so professional, stickers are amazing. You did an excellent job :)
  • Options
    Can you post all the sticker artwork so we can do them ourselves? I'm beyond impressed with your efforts
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Looks good, but so much effort vs a simple crossfade
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

curly said:

Well it wasn't exactly cheap... The stickers ended up being close to $1 each. I made two sets as It was cheaper than making just one set. So about $55 for 62 stickers. The empty cases were $25 (plus shipping) for a pack of 50, the spool of CD's was about $50...The ink for printing directly on the CD labels was quite a bit of black. That adds up. So i'd say actual monetary cost for each show was about $4. But then ripping all the CD's and creating metadata for everything and doing all the leg work, it was a lot more work than $5 worth per show, that's for sure. I've been casually working on this since October, but only recently did all the pieces start coming together once the sticker labels arrived. So yeah, even to make the cases on their own, you would have to charge too much to justify the expenses and time to do each one.

A friend of mine jokingly asked if the 2006 tour was next. I said "not a chance."
    Hey I ll pay you to create a Kitchener and philly "official" cd for me. Those are the only shows I saw that tour and man were they great! Let me know and thanks.
    Mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,476
    demetrios said:

Fantastic job! :) The artwork A+. Love it. But gotta ask ..

The audio, how is it? To convert inferior constant bit rate MP3's @ 192 kbps to Wav format. Then edit those Wav files to burn to audio CDR. Would love to hear this & compare.

You have to convert to wav in order to burn a CD.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how you guys are burning these shows onto disc. I did the London show last night for my ride to work and there is no 2 second gap. I ripped using iTunes. Selected audio cd and gap of 0 seconds. And there is no issue.
  • Options
    cardosocardoso Porto Alegre-BR Posts: 1,461

I wanted to share my little project with everyone.

About a year or so back I went to listen to a 2005 show in my car and was amazed at how awful it sounded. No, it wasn't one of the Rockin In The Free World versions Sleater Kinney was singing on, there were these huge dead-air gaps between every song. Nothing worse when you're listening to a show with the volume up and the crowd and music disappear for a few seconds before every song.

Having a modest knowledge in audio software I thought I would try my hand at fixing the audio. But if I was going to do that, I would need to replace my 2005 set of bootlegs I personally ripped and created artwork for.

I spent a few weeks on photoshop re-purposing all the 2005 bootleg PDF's that were included with the original MP3 Downloads.
    I cropped each front cover, modified the spines, and re-typed all the track listings to fit more aesthetically onto a label template I created using the measurements from an existing PJ bootleg. Finding the font proved to be the most difficult part of this process (see above post for font request).
    There is a member here who is big into PJ stickers and has created some of his own. I've received one of these fan made stickers and was really impressed with the quality of the work so I approached them to help me out. They were great in doing so.

After some back and forth and me sending a few sample jpg's, they sent me a physical sample of what the label would look like finished/printed on sticker-backs. I was very pleased with the result so we went forward with the entire 31 shows (Tester included) from 2005.
    A good friend of mine here is very familiar with all kinds of audio software and obviously love PJ recordings. In just one week, he took all the 2005 bootlegs, converted them to WAV files, spliced the dead air off the ends of every single song, re-attached the songs seamlessly, re marked the songs for tracking and uploaded them all as a torrent. So much work. A huge thanks to him. He pretty much did the heavy lifting.
    I started ripping the shows on white-top, blank CD-R's so I could directly print the CD labels on them and not worry about stickers or lightscribing them. I used iTunes so I could include all the Meta Data I wanted for the shows, and then rip the CD's with data text on the CD so where ever these CD's get played, all the track/show information is on the CD's. I also purchased a pack of the cardboard eco-pack CD cases from Neato.com (a site previously discussed in this thread) and when the stickers and cases arrived, I went to work.
    I have about 5 shows from the South American leg of the tour left to rip to CD, but for the most part this project is pretty much complete. I've been contemplating on whether or not I should include a stamp on the inside of each cardboard sleeve like NUGS did when Backspacer shows were being released. They had a "Pearl Jam" Backsapcer logo in theirs. I was thinking of creating a stamp and making one unique to 2005. Still undecided though.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback or constructive criticism regarding this project. I definitely took my time to make sure I didn't cut any corners and in my opinion, they're just a good as what Pearl Jam has been releasing over the past 7 years officially. Huge thanks again to those who helped me with this project. Certainly could not have done it alone.

Thanks for taking a look.

Really impressive work!!
    Awesome Scott, the results is professional, seems like is sold for 10c.
    Congrats man, enjoy the 2005 tour with style!

First: Porto Alegre, Brasil 28.11.2005 ........... Next:  St. Paul 2, USA 02.09.2023
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,158
    More specifically there isn't a big gap. If you burn the discs using DAO (disc at once) it well line up the track back to back so there are no 2 second gaps. The problem is still that micro amount of dead space at the end of mp3 tracks. It's a fraction of second and sounds like a little tick between tracks. That's the one that need's editing out. The problem is that it's more audible to some people than others. It's so short that some people don't notice it.

If you have 2 second gaps you're not burning it right. If you have the little tick between tracks, that's because it's in mp3.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703

curly said:

Appreciate your feed back... and as I mentioned.... the work that goes into making these is some legitimate work and very time consuming... Sure, it's prob not to bad to make a set for yourself... but it a friend wants a set, or a fellow PJammer... and they look as good as the ones shown here (either plastic or brown paper sleeve)... It's really a tough call on what they are worth then... PS.. Then there's always the "Ten Club may start selling older, existing tours if there is a demand"... And who know's... they could easily start releasing tours like the 1998, etc etc...
    PSS... gosh, lets hope not... I'm already hurtin' to pay my bills...LOL
  • Options
    nm219369nm219369 Posts: 204
    I have done my 05 and 06 tours using the full art, I had them professionally printed aswell with more of a matte finish but still water resistant. the cds I had inkjet printed onto the discs and clear coated aswell,so the labels wont rub off, especially when any moisture gets on them. here is a photo of one of mine
    I have an extra copy of labels probably for the RAK thread
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
    edited June 2015
    Zod said:

More specifically there isn't a big gap. If you burn the discs using DAO (disc at once) it well line up the track back to back so there are no 2 second gaps. The problem is still that micro amount of dead space at the end of mp3 tracks. It's a fraction of second and sounds like a little tick between tracks. That's the one that need's editing out. The problem is that it's more audible to some people than others. It's so short that some people don't notice it.

If you have 2 second gaps you're not burning it right. If you have the little tick between tracks, that's because it's in mp3.

The software I use for burning audio CD's is EAC (Exact Audio Copy) with DAO. Not sure how today's iTunes audio burning software matches to EAC but long ago in the audio trading snail mail day's EAC was the choice for ripping & burning audio CD's. For .MD5's, .logs, .cue, CD extraction & verification etc.. It was the burning software for audio junkies, like myself. I still use it to this day.

It really is a little tick of sound. I've been playing the MP3's on my desktop via WinAmp and it's not a big deal.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Listening to my winnipeg 2005 show now.....that little tick annoys the hell out of me! Dammit!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

Listening to my winnipeg 2005 show now.....that little tick annoys the hell out of me! Dammit!

Winnipeg from that tour is one of my favorite.. also, the cd 2 of that boot needs to be overburned, since it's more
    than 80 mins long..
  • Options

Winnipeg from that tour is one of my favorite.. also, the cd 2 of that boot needs to be overburned, since it's more
    than 80 mins long..
    I had this problem for the Disc 2 Winnipeg and I believe Disc 2 Halifax (maybe Quebec City, I can't remember right now) All I did was import the encore breaks into Final Cut Pro (since I'm familiar with video, not audio) and lobed of about 30 second of crowd noise off the top of the encore breaks, added a 5 second crossfade before Ed started talking and it fit when I tried to burn it with the shorted encore breaks.
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

than 80 mins long..
    I had this problem for the Disc 2 Winnipeg and I believe Disc 2 Halifax (maybe Quebec City, I can't remember right now) All I did was import the encore breaks into Final Cut Pro (since I'm familiar with video, not audio) and lobed of about 30 second of crowd noise off the top of the encore breaks, added a 5 second crossfade before Ed started talking and it fit when I tried to burn it with the shorted encore breaks.
    This can be a solution, but really, most (if not all) burners, unless you have a very very old and cheap burner, can overburn without problems so that you don't have to cut any crowd noise.. if you use good brand Cd's (like Verbatim) you can be safe at least up to 82 mins (I personally tried it with success), probably more too..
  • Options
    CloneClone UK Posts: 141
    That's very impressive!