Options

Music Listening Equipment

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    bionicamy said:

pjradio wrote:

I'm in the process now of refinishing an old, 1941 Philco Radio that I will mount my iPad in so that I can wirelessly control everything on my PC, which in turn runs through the whole sound system. Gonna be like a touchscreen juke box that you just use your finger on, to scroll thru the Album art & tap a song you want to play.

5wf96h.jpg

This I am :mrgreen: with envy.... Very nice

The topic made me laugh at my state of the art set up... A magnavox stereo from when I was in jr high circa 85 - 87 I would guess if I had to date to it. Complete with record player and duel cassette decks... this baby is pre cd.

:lol::lol::lol: still laughing at my Stone Age setup.

My husband tried to throw it away years ago and got in serious trouble :nono:

Sweet jebus!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I've got a question I hope you fine audiophiles can answer. I've got one of these things inherited a set up I dont know how to use and therefore never have. This is the model of the thing https://google.com/search?q=Sony+STR-K660P&safe=off&sa=X&es_sm=122&biw=1600&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=24FNVcPeIcLXsAWb1YGQDA&ved=0CC0QsAQ#imgrc=_ As far as I know it's just a fancy fuckin' radio - but there's quite a few speakers... so I'm wondering if there's a way I can make it play music from my phone? Or less ideally, from my laptop/computer/home network. Anyone have any advice?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    ldent42 said:

I've got a question I hope you fine audiophiles can answer. I've got one of these things inherited a set up I dont know how to use and therefore never have. This is the model of the thing https://google.com/search?q=Sony+STR-K660P&safe=off&sa=X&es_sm=122&biw=1600&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=24FNVcPeIcLXsAWb1YGQDA&ved=0CC0QsAQ#imgrc=_ As far as I know it's just a fancy fuckin' radio - but there's quite a few speakers... so I'm wondering if there's a way I can make it play music from my phone? Or less ideally, from my laptop/computer/home network. Anyone have any advice?

Here is the answer for anyone who might be seeking similar advice in the future:

Acquire cable that looks like this:
    Keywords for searching are mini to rca cable. I picked one up at my local dollar store for $1.69.

Plug the red and white (or red and black) into the back of the stereo. Mine had ports for 'dvd' and 'video'. I used the video port, so I set the stereo to "video". I had to click the little "input" button till it read "auto" before I got any sound.

If you're using an iPod or something you just plug the other end of the cable to the headphone jack and you're done.
    If you're using an old phone or tablet that you want to use to stream music from your pc, here's what I did. If you're not using Android devices or Wi-Fi i can't help you.
    Install ES file explorer manager to your device. On your computer, share the folder your music is in with "everyone". In es file explorer go to network>Lan>scan click on your computer. If you run into problems logging in (if you don't use a password to log into Windows, you might not be able to get passed the log in screen here) open the network & sharing center in control panel (on your pc!) And under public switch to the no passwords option. I forget exactly what it says. Then you should get in to your folders from es file explorer without problems. Navigate to the files you want to play and enjoy!

:triumph:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    My updated set-up...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    nice - what kind of speakers are those?
  • Options
    Thanks, they're Polk Audio RTiA1's, great sound...
    http://www.polkaudio.com/rtia1/d/1013C3096
  • Options
    Sweet - I have some polk's in my basement system.
  • Options

Sweet - I have some polk's in my basement system.

Nice, so you have two systems??

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited November 2015
    I've got a TT that I'm pleased with (Denon), and a new Onkyo receiver that's good. But then I have Klipsch Synergy B-20 Premium 5.25-Inch Bookshelf Speakers, so they are amazing speakers for their size (about a foot tall), but they're still only bookshelves (still cost $400... new speakers are so damn expensive! But vintage speakers would just look weird with my otherwise brand new system, lol). Even though they're high quality and do a LOT for their size, I've been thinking about getting something else more impressive. But it's for clarity and richness and fullness alone. I live in an apartment, so super fucking loud isn't my goal. I think i piss my neighbors off enough already. What I have now already goes WAY louder than I would ever want to play it, with or without neighbors.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I've got a TT that I'm pleased with (Denon), and a new Onkyo receiver that's good. But then I have Klipsch Synergy B-20 Premium 5.25-Inch Bookshelf Speakers, so they are amazing speakers for their size (about a foot tall), but they're still only bookshelves (still cost $400... new speakers are so damn expensive! But vintage speakers would just look weird with my otherwise brand new system, lol). Even though they're high quality and do a LOT for their size, I've been thinking about getting something else more impressive. But it's for clarity and richness and fullness alone. I live in an apartment, so super fucking loud isn't my goal. I think i piss my neighbors off enough already. What I have now already goes WAY louder than I would ever want to play it, with or without neighbors.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, live in an apartment, though it's brand new and has been designed so you don't hear each other too much, doubled glazed windows, thick concrete walls so I've had zero complaints from neighbours for blasting loud music. Same as you also the speakers I have go way louder than I'd ever need to. Your set-up sounds great, I had a listen to some Klipsch's in store and was really impressed, beautiful clear sound, am thinking of upgrading my Polk's and Klipsch was on the list with some Focal's and Monitor Audio's. Still thinking...
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Yes - I have two systems :) - Rotel integrated - Bowers and Wilkins speakers - technics turntable - airport express for streaming upstairs - Downstairs an old Harmon Kardon receiver - couple polk bookshelf - apple tv to stream - the apple stuff is neat because I can stream music to both places from my laptop at the same time and use my iPhone as a remote. :)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    B&W speakers, and a Harmon Kardon receiver.....some day... some day....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    edited November 2015
    Pioneer SA8500II amp.
    Pioneer TX8500II tuner.
    Martin Logan Motion 15 speakers.
    Project Debut Carbon TT
    Sony 5 disc changer.
  • Options
    photo Image 2_zpsfoqzqshz.jpg
  • Options
    reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, live in an apartment, though it's brand new and has been designed so you don't hear each other too much, doubled glazed windows, thick concrete walls so I've had zero complaints from neighbours for blasting loud music. Same as you also the speakers I have go way louder than I'd ever need to. Your set-up sounds great, I had a listen to some Klipsch's in store and was really impressed, beautiful clear sound, am thinking of upgrading my Polk's and Klipsch was on the list with some Focal's and Monitor Audio's. Still thinking...
    FWIW, I cannot say enough about how great the Klipsch speakers are (for their size). Now that I've got them, i don't think I'd ever buy any other kind. If I upgrade, I will simply be upgrading to bigger Klipsch ones!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Speaking of Klipsch I was looking at their lineup over on soundstagedirect.com. What are pros and cons of bookshelf versus floor standing speakers?
  • Options
    I like Klipsch stuff too - have a nice iPod dick speaker I use for my bedroom too :) I like bookshelf speakers because they don't take up so much room. But, if you got the room and they $ floor standing speaker are cool. Just depends on your room.
  • Options

I like Klipsch stuff too - have a nice iPod dick speaker I use for my bedroom too :) I like bookshelf speakers because they don't take up so much room. But, if you got the room and they $ floor standing speaker are cool. Just depends on your room.

I've been considering an ipod dick for my bedroom as well. =)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    FrankY59 said:

Speaking of Klipsch I was looking at their lineup over on soundstagedirect.com. What are pros and cons of bookshelf versus floor standing speakers?

When it comes to speakers, the bigger the better, basically. ;) No, not always. It depends on your wants and needs.

Maybe this will help. :)
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5401591_big-speakers-vs-small-speakers.html
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    PJ_Soul said:

Have you considered adding a subwoofer to your system? I have a pair of vintage Klipsch bookshelf speakers and was a little disappointed in their low frequency response. Being Klipsch, they are very detailed and clear but lacking a little fullness and warmth. I added a Klipsch SW-10 II Subwoofer and the bookshelfs really came alive. With the sub crossed-over at about 120 hz, the bookshelf are free to do what they do best without straining to hit the low notes. The Klipsch subs I have heard and owned tend to have a "tight" bass response and opposed to "boomy" and they can be reigned in so as not to piss off neighbors. This worked for me but YMMV.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options

Looking good! Did you get everything dialed in to your liking?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Have you considered adding a subwoofer to your system? I have a pair of vintage Klipsch bookshelf speakers and was a little disappointed in their low frequency response. Being Klipsch, they are very detailed and clear but lacking a little fullness and warmth. I added a Klipsch SW-10 II Subwoofer and the bookshelfs really came alive. With the sub crossed-over at about 120 hz, the bookshelf are free to do what they do best without straining to hit the low notes. The Klipsch subs I have heard and owned tend to have a "tight" bass response and opposed to "boomy" and they can be reigned in so as not to piss off neighbors. This worked for me but YMMV.
    Thanks for the input. That is something I will think hard about. It has crossed my mind before, but as you mentioned, I'm concerned about the bass bothering the neighbors. I'm in a wood framed apartment building, so bass really carries a lot. But at the same time, I've gotta just go about living too, right? lol. What you say about the feel of the bass with a good Klipsch sub woofer might make me reconsider....
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    As you are an apartment dweller, I recommend you stay away from down-firing subs and try to find a front-firing sub, maybe one with a passive radiator. That should give you the most audible benefit without having to crank the volume. Good luck!
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    Does anyone set the turntable on anything that will absorb vibration? Sometimes playing tunes loud enough will make the needle jump, but it generally happens when my daughter runs through the room. The needle and arm were set up professionally, and are weighted properly, but it is no match for a running three year old.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    Mass is your friend when choosing a place for your turntable. I have seen people place slabs of stone, marble or granite under theirs. If that's not possible, you can build a wall shelf so as to isolate it from the floor. Maybe look at those vibration dampening pads that people put under washing machines, too. Good luck.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Looking good! Did you get everything dialed in to your liking?
    Yes! All is good. It appears that some vinyl is just very staticky and needs some tlc prior to listening.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Updated set-up, new floor standing speakers. These are my sexy new Monitor Audio Bronze 5's to replace my Polk Audio RTiA bookshelves. I did a lot of research into what to get in my price range and these were hard to go past, very good online reviews. I demoed a few other brands, but these came out on top for great sound and looks.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitor-audio-bronze-5-1-review
  • Options
    Very nice!
  • Options
    Thought there might be some of you interested in watching this...

CES 2016 - Video coverage of high end audio in the Venetian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfClVSvo_6c

Some very nice gear.