Options

Music Listening Equipment

Comments

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    Zod wrote:

How do you like the Denon?

I think I found the perfect balance between price, functionality, and sound quality. The need to manually adjust the belt every time I want to switch from 45rpm to 33rpm completely annoys me (especially with these audiophile grade 12" records that come out in 45rpm). Having an automatic turntable with decent quality is a win :)

Change speeds with the push of a button.
    http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?p ... ccessories
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    Turntable-Technics SL-Q3
    Receiver- vintage Yamaha CR-600
    Speakers- Boston Acoustic

I've also got an ipod and my PC.
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    pjradio wrote:
    I'm in the process now of refinishing an old, 1941 Philco Radio that I will mount my iPad in so that I can wirelessly control everything on my PC, which in turn runs through the whole sound system. Gonna be like a touchscreen juke box that you just use your finger on, to scroll thru the Album art & tap a song you want to play.
    5wf96h.jpg

This I am :mrgreen: with envy.... Very nice

The topic made me laugh at my state of the art set up... A magnavox stereo from when I was in jr high circa 85 - 87 I would guess if I had to date to it. Complete with record player and duel cassette decks... this baby is pre cd.
    :lol::lol::lol: still laughing at my Stone Age setup.

My husband tried to throw it away years ago and got in serious trouble :nono:
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Doesn't matter what you have as long as you have fun and enjoy.

Like Ferris said , "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Realistic Lab 400 turntable
    Nexxtech 1100A Turntable
    Some vintage receiver.... TEAC maybe.
    Big Sony Speakers OR Seinheisser (SP?) headphones.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    Zod wrote:

How do you like the Denon?

I think I found the perfect balance between price, functionality, and sound quality. The need to manually adjust the belt every time I want to switch from 45rpm to 33rpm completely annoys me (especially with these audiophile grade 12" records that come out in 45rpm). Having an automatic turntable with decent quality is a win :)

Change speeds with the push of a button.
    http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?p ... ccessories

For an extra $129 :)

That's the thing with record players. You can keep adding on functions and quality. If you can keep adding $100 to your budget, you can keep getting something better.

I capped off my budget at $400. The dp-300f with an upgraded cartridge (and fully automatic abilities) was a perfect match for what I wanted. Had my budget been closer to $550 I could of gone for a Rega-RP1 w/ the speedbox.

Not to mention I don't need find valuable shelf real estate to house an external speed box?
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    I'm in the process now of refinishing an old, 1941 Philco Radio that I will mount my iPad in so that I can wirelessly control everything on my PC, which in turn runs through the whole sound system. Gonna be like a touchscreen juke box that you just use your finger on, to scroll thru the Album art & tap a song you want to play.
    5wf96h.jpg
    [/quote]

That's a great idea! It looks beautiful. 8-)
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    In college I had a booming stereo, nakamichi tape deck for my boots (still in a closet as I slowly convert tapes to digital) dbx compression unit, yamaha amp, some wild revox turntable I think and a series of klipsch jbl and Boston acoustic speakers. Remember the day I added the Sony disc man to the system!

Kept the Yamaha for quite some time, had literally the first Phillips surround sound system as I moved the jbl speakers to the back and built up around some amazing Polk audios. I really luved the passive radiator design in the polks, and the yamahas huge loudness knob was a gift from the gods in my book.... So then I put hardwood floors in, the polks are in the closet, the Yamaha finally fried....

I have the awesome Tivoli Audio radio in the kitchen (the bay area has Great stations) and for two years I have just used the Sonos players throughout the house, literally always on, pandora if not streaming something off a MacBook.

Originally 512mb iPod shuffle or ipad with some shure earbuds for travel. Just replaced my sennheisser headphones with Bose big cans but that's mostly for multitracking. And oh yeah, the original 30gb iPod with bad battery is permanent in the jetta with the blaupunkt. Disc changer in the car for boots too - most of my listening is during commute. Getting the perfect collection on the iPods and iPad is like the new mix tape....

But I'm gonna get a turntable soon for all my old vinyl and newly acquired pieces. Dust off the Polk audios and just slap a Miniwatt between em.... Looks like Dad is gonna keep his mcintosh for awhile yet, but that's the end game!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    edited April 2015
    Have updated some of my music listening equipment, still running the Polk RTi A1's which I enjoy, but may update them in the near future...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Purchased a new Rega RP3 with an Elys 2 cartridge to replace my RP1...
    Very pleased with this update, it has a better platter made of glass and a better tonearm, I can definitely hear quite a difference in sound quality over the RP1. I changed up the plinth colour from the light grey to the dark.

And a new amp, the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 to replace my Pioneer VSX-521 receiver...
    I had to get something that would not only make listening to vinyl sound great, but also still be able to run my TV, Blu-ray and Sky TV (cable) through it and this unit ticked all the right boxes. Pumps out 100 watts per channel and has a built in DAC too. Adjustable bass and treble have really made listening to vinyl come alive.
    Post edited by reesdog on
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    looking good
  • Options

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable
    Yamaha R-N500 integrated receiver/streamer
    Q Accoustics 2010i speakers
  • Options
    imagephoto 4C4421A5-F83E-418E-846A-86B5B68DA61A.jpg" />
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    OzzieOzzie Posts: 230
    pjradio said:

5wf96h.jpg

This is absolutely amazing - love it! How 'easy' (a relative term, I know) to do something like this?
    Isle of Wight, 23rd June 2012
    Brooklyn, 18th October 2013
    Memphis, 14th October 2014
    Krakow, 3rd July 2018
    London, 8th July 2022
  • Options

Love this, looks rad with the green plinth. What kind of turntable is it?
  • Options

• Options
    BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471

That sure is pretty!!!!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Options
    BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    Turntable: VPI Scout (Amazing sound and very sexy. I don't think Ill ever buy another turntable. I may upgrade the cartridge I originally purchased)
    Preamp: VP530 Tube Phono Preamp (I wouldn't buy this again)
    Headphones: Reference RS2 (I love these! They aren't cheap but are well worth it. If I ever upgrade I'll have to spend at least double the price to get something I like better).
    Digital: Pono (I don't have much music that fully utilizes the Pono's full potential, so Im still up in the air about this)
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Options
    TribeintoBreathTribeintoBreath Posts: 882
    edited April 2015
    reesdog said:

Hey Reesdog, it's a company called 'Pro Ject.' They make decks ranging from hundreds and into the thousands. My model is 'Debut Carbon.' Listed as an 'audiophile' turntable on the lower end, it's been rated as one of the better ones for under a grand. I love it. It's a real solid offering.
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Ozzie said:

pjradio said:

5wf96h.jpg

This is absolutely amazing - love it! How 'easy' (a relative term, I know) to do something like this?
    Very easy (IMO)...hardest part is messily, refinishing the cabinet itself. (stiil haven't finished that part). And also finding that 1941 radio. That one seems to be the perfect Design/Yr for this project.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    BikePHL said:

That sure is pretty!!!!
    Thanks!

Sounds better than it looks.
  • Options

reesdog said:

Hey Reesdog, it's a company called 'Pro Ject.' They make decks ranging from hundreds and into the thousands. My model is 'Debut Carbon.' Listed as an 'audiophile' turntable on the lower end, it's been rated as one of the better ones for under a grand. I love it. It's a real solid offering.
    Oh yep, I know Pro Ject, they have a pretty good rep, just had never seen one in that green before. Very cool.

• Options

reesdog said:

I need to pdate my photo, but have just updated my Pro Ject Debut Carbon to the acrylic platter - WELL worth the investment
  • Options
    scottiek2scottiek2 Australia Posts: 16
    Marantz PM7200 Amp
    Wharfedale EVO-30 f/s Speakers
    Rega RP3 w/ Exact2 cart & PSU
    Heed Quasar Pre Amp & Q-PSU
  • Options

Like all of the replies, I am in the market for a new turntable myself. I hear good things about the rega. I guess I will keep stocking up on the vinyl. :D

I can highly recommend the REGA TT's. I had a ProJect TT and liked it, but was never entirely happy. Then I purchased an RP3 Rega. Now I only buy vinyl. It is THAT good.
  • Options
    scottiek2 said:

Marantz PM7200 Amp
    Wharfedale EVO-30 f/s Speakers
    Rega RP3 w/ Exact2 cart & PSU
    Heed Quasar Pre Amp & Q-PSU

Also, if you're after a damn fine preamp, look into the Heed range. The difference between the Heed Quasar and the Cambridge Audio preamp was huge.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    Main Table
    VPI HW-19 jr w/ Grado Blue cart w/ Audioquest PT9 tonearm
    Marantz 2270
    Polk bookshelf speakers

Office Table
    Debut III w/ Ortonfon Red cart and stock tonearm
    Sansui 9090 for the office table
    Premiere Acoustic tower speakers

Just got the Marantz tuned up a few weeks ago and then recalibrated the tone arm and cart on the VPI. Everything sounds amazing on it.

I need a cleaning machine now.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Turntable & Amp
    Music Hall 2.2 with Audio-Technica 120E Cartridge and Pro-Ject Speed Box S
    Marantz PM5005

Digital
    Cambridge DAC Magic 100

Speakers
    Yamaha NS-A636 Bookshelf Speakers

Head Phones
    Bose QuietComfort 15, Sennheiser HD 598
  • Options

reesdog said:

I need to pdate my photo, but have just updated my Pro Ject Debut Carbon to the acrylic platter - WELL worth the investment
    I'd like to do this as well.
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    MickeydMickeyd Posts: 5
    Turntable
    Pro-ject debut carbon
    cork mat and j.a. mitchell clamp

Amp
    Yaquin MC-13s with electroharmonix el34's
    Bellari Vp129 Phono

Speakers
    Polk Monitor 7B
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    299 photo image_zpsjha8vbim.jpg

I need to change mine.... Scott 299a tube amp, Scott 330B tube tuner, now with a rega p-5, jbl 4410 studio monitors and I just aquired 2 pair of sltec model 15 speakers that I'm working on!! I also have a Scott 340b tube reciever that might be the best piece of gear I've ever heard, I'm getting it refurbished/ upgraded and cannot wait to get it back!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....