Options

Music Listening Equipment

buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
edited April 2013 in The Porch
What do you guys use to listen to your PJ vinyl? I have a Rotel intergrated amplifier, Quad Speakers, Technics turntable and a set of Sennheiser over the ear head phones. For non-vinyl set up - I also have a Mac book, IPOD and Sennheiser in-earbuds too...

Proceeds to push-up black-rimmed glasses with index finger.

I showed you mine, now show me yours.... :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    edited April 2013
    I haven't had a working turntable in several years, but I do have a nice surround sound system for SACD and DVD-Audio discs:

Denon AVR-1804 Receiver
    Mirage bookshelf satellites and subwoofer
    Onkyo CP-802 SACD/DVD-A/DVD player

I also have a tall Bose wave radio in my jam room (5 year work anniversary gift), 2 ipods and multiple sets of headphones (noise cancelling, studio, in-ear buds, etc).

My computer also has surround sound (with DVD-A capabilities), but right now I only have the front and center speakers set up.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Never got into the dvd-a or SACD stuff, any good?
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    buck502000 wrote:
    Never got into the dvd-a or SACD stuff, any good?

I absolutely LOVE them.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Technics SL-1200 Turntable
    Denon DN C615 CD player
    Behringer XENYX X1204 Mixer
    Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
    DCM TF-650 Timeframe Tower Speakers
    Klipsch 600-Watt 12" Subwoofer
    Sennheiser HD-595 Over the Ear Headphones
    Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio On Ear Headphones
    Klipsch IMAGE S4 Earbuds
    Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth speaker
    iPod Touch 16gb
    HTC-ONE s Phone
    :D
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    It's good to know what you have for insurance purposes. :P

I also have an airport express to stream audio and use my Iphone/Ipad for a remote. Slick as sh*t.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited April 2013
    Yamaha RX-V659 Receiver
    Technics SL-1210MK2
    Polk RTi8 Tower Speakers
    Klipsh Quintet Surrounds
    Polk Center
    PS3
    16GB Nano
    30 GB Classic Ipod
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I'm in the process now of refinishing an old, 1941 Philco Radio that I will mount my iPad in so that I can wirelessly control everything on my PC, which in turn runs through the whole sound system. Gonna be like a touchscreen juke box that you just use your finger on, to scroll thru the Album art & tap a song you want to play.
    5wf96h.jpg
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    I'm in the process now of refinishing an old, 1941 Philco Radio that I will mount my iPad in so that I can wirelessly control everything on my PC, which in turn runs through the whole sound system. Gonna be like a touchscreen juke box that you just use your finger on, to scroll thru the Album art & tap a song you want to play.
    5wf96h.jpg
    Where did you come up with that idea? Pretty cool. Will there be new speakers in the Philco too?
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    pjradio wrote:
    5wf96h.jpg
    Where did you come up with that idea? Pretty cool. Will there be new speakers in the Philco too?

a few years ago I saw where someone installed a computer in one. Figured I could do the same with an iPad. And yes, I will eventually put something like one of those Bose Soundlink II speakers in the bottom.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    pjradio wrote:
    5wf96h.jpg

That sir is fucking awesome. brilliant idea.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Pro Ject Debut Turntable
    Onkyo THX-9100 7.1 Home Theater
    Oppo Blu Ray
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    Pro Ject Debut Turntable
    Oppo Blu Ray

How do you like the Pro Ject turntable?

OPPO makes good stuff.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I don't remember the exact models for most things:
    dual turntable
    sony cd player & amplifier
    akg in-ear headphones
    akg k550 headphones
    htc incredible s
    sony ericsson xperia arc s
    logitech & philipps pc speakers
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    Pro Ject Debut Turntable
    Oppo Blu Ray

How do you like the Pro Ject turntable?

OPPO makes good stuff.

Hi buck!

Well, it's my first turntable so nothing to compare it to, but I love it!!! I think it sounds great. The Audyssey Dynamic EQ on my Onkyo receiver which I think helps as well...

And Oppo...I love love love the player. It plays FLAC files which is perfect for boots!! :)

Looks like you have a pretty sweet setup also!!
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,113
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR607 - I bought it because it had oodles of HDMI inputs when others didn't at the time.
    Turntable: Denon dp-300f w/ Orotofon Red Cartridge
    Speakers - Energy Take Classic 5.1 (pretty good for small apartment sized speakers).

Other Inputs:

Popcorn A-400 Networked Media Tank - I use this to play FLAC on my home stereo (as well as videos). It's networked to the pc and pretty much everything else.
    Playstation 3 - It can do Super Audio CD's or Bluray (DTS) Audio, although I don't have many of those.

If I ever get a house I'd like to get bigger speakers. Maybe even a dedicate receiver for the record player so I can have a Stereo setup for the turntable and surround for the tv :)
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR607 - I bought it because it had oodles of HDMI inputs when others didn't at the time.
    Turntable: Denon dp-300f w/ Orotofon Red Cartridge
    Speakers - Energy Take Classic 5.1 (pretty good for small apartment sized speakers).

Other Inputs:

Popcorn A-400 Networked Media Tank - I use this to play FLAC on my home stereo (as well as videos). It's networked to the pc and pretty much everything else.
    Playstation 3 - It can do Super Audio CD's or Bluray (DTS) Audio, although I don't have many of those.

If I ever get a house I'd like to get bigger speakers. Maybe even a dedicate receiver for the record player so I can have a Stereo setup for the turntable and surround for the tv :)

How do you like the Denon?
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,650
    Amp: NAD C 326BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier
    Phonostage: NAD PP 3i Digital Phono Preamplifier
    Turntable: Older Sanyo with a bronze Ortofon cartridge
    Speakers: Klipsch Reference Series RF-82 II tower speakers

Just got the phonostage today and the amp a few weeks ago. I am very impressed with the amp and cd's sound incredible on this thing. I would highly recommend it to people. Black Crowes Croweology, Radiohead Hail to the Thief, and Ray Lamontagne and the Pariah Dogs sound out of this world.
  • Options
    May 30th wrote:

Just got the phonostage today and the amp a few weeks ago. I am very impressed with the amp and cd's sound incredible on this thing. I would highly recommend it to people. Black Crowes Croweology, Radiohead Hail to the Thief, and Ray Lamontagne and the Pariah Dogs sound out of this world.

Nice setup! I bet Hail To The Thief sounds great. I have it too
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    May 30th wrote:

Love that Croweology Vinyl!

& those Klipsch speakers :mrgreen:
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    May 30th wrote:

Love that Croweology Vinyl!

& those Klipsch speakers :mrgreen:

+1

(I picked up the Crowes' Wiser For The Time box LP, they sound incredible on vinyl)
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    Here's some photos:

DSC01329_zps8fc3e107.jpg

Turntable #1 - Technics SL-23

DSC01335_zps4a72dde2.jpg

Turntable #2 - Music Hall Mmf 2.2

DSC01336_zps3836b567.jpg

Headphones - Sennheiser HD600 & Audio Technica ATH-M50

DSC01338_zpsbfcbcbaa.jpg

Pioneer SX 626

DSC01340_zps7a8d2f3c.jpg

2 Channel Set-up: Wharfedale 10.1 Speakers
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    DSC01340_zps7a8d2f3c.jpg

love those shelves...what are those?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    pjradio wrote:
    DSC01340_zps7a8d2f3c.jpg

Here you go..... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... #/60135299
    $39.99 a piece
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    DSC01340_zps7a8d2f3c.jpg

Here you go..... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... #/60135299
    $39.99 a piece

thx sir
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    beer
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    I have a rega turntable.....spent lots of $$ to get it but it was well worth it!!!! The sound quality is amazing almost like hearing music for the first time and being blown away......i had been listening to mad season's above and i was lucky enough to pick up a copy on rsd......after racing home to spin it, once i started it i was blown away from how amazing it sounded.....nothing like the cd!!!!! But i have technics reciever and technics speakers but i strongly suggest rega to any music enthusiast-you wont be dissapointed!!!!!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    Like all of the replies, I am in the market for a new turntable myself. I hear good things about the rega. I guess I will keep stocking up on the vinyl. :D
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    HU alpine cd something or anouther. i forget the model...single din, about 5 years old now. does a nice job
    amp = pdx5
    pair of polk db6501 in both front and rear doors
    sub is Jl audio 10w3v3 in a sealed box.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,113

How do you like the Denon?

I really like it. I was looking at the Rega-Rp1 and Pro-Ject Carbon but was a bit put off by the fact they are completely manual turntables. I then went looking for a used Technics SL-1200 but they're getting pretty expensive for a used player.

I was doing a lot of googling and came across the Denon. Most of the reviews were very positive but they all had one thing to say. The stock cartridge is rubbish. I found on the NeedleDoctor website that they had a package that was a Denon with an upgraded cartridge (Ortofon Red?). So I've never heard the stock cartridge.

I really like the turntable. My turntable history was a Sony I borrowed from my grandparents. It must of been really high end and purchased in the late 70s or early 80s. It sounded really good. Then they wanted it back, so I bought the cheapest one I could find which was a $99 Sony, which didn't sound nearly as good. The Denon sounds a lot better than than the $99 Sony.

I think I found the perfect balance between price, functionality, and sound quality. The need to manually adjust the belt every time I want to switch from 45rpm to 33rpm completely annoys me (especially with these audiophile grade 12" records that come out in 45rpm). Having an automatic turntable with decent quality is a win :)

edit: I should also note I haven't tried the built in preamp in the Denon table. I'm still using my cheap $50 external preamp.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    wsa8zp.jpg
    Polk Audio RTi A1 speakers.
    Pioneer VSX-521 Amp.
    Rega RP1 turntable.
    Apple iMac and iTouch.
    34q0h92.jpg
    Very happy with the main set up, sounds really good playing vinyl and watching DVD's. Need a new iPod though as I plug it into the car stereo, but it's a 16GB and can store only a portion of my music files. Thinking of getting Apple TV too...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.