Options

collateral damage - boston to afghanistan

Comments

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:
    1234by JC29856 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:14 am

"Basically, the note says ... the bombings were retribution for the U.S. crimes against Muslims in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and that the victims of the Boston bombing were 'collateral damage,' the same way innocent victims have been collateral damage in U.S. wars around the world," said CBS News reporter John Miller, who is a former spokesman for the FBI.

He is both a murderer and delusional. Also, he too does not know what collateral damage means.

Part time jihadist, part time college student partying it up and doing drugs. I call bullshit on whatever justification these two fools convinced themselves of in their quest to commit mass murder.

Kind of like Pat Tillman in reverse, eh.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    JimmyV wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:
    1234by JC29856 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:14 am

"Basically, the note says ... the bombings were retribution for the U.S. crimes against Muslims in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and that the victims of the Boston bombing were 'collateral damage,' the same way innocent victims have been collateral damage in U.S. wars around the world," said CBS News reporter John Miller, who is a former spokesman for the FBI.

He is both a murderer and delusional. Also, he too does not know what collateral damage means.

Part time jihadist, part time college student partying it up and doing drugs. I call bullshit on whatever justification these two fools convinced themselves of in their quest to commit mass murder.

Kind of like Pat Tillman in reverse, eh.

Not in the least actually. Pat Tillman gave up a lucrative career and comfortable life to enlist and fight for something he believed in. Poor little Bomber #2 partied it up every night and gave up nothing for the cause we are now to believe was the driving force for his crimes. I'm sure he has convinced himself this is why he tried to commit mass murder but I say he is either delusional or a liar.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Like Pat Tillman. He had a pretty good life, money on the horizon, then gave it up because he thought he was going to afghanistan to protect freedom and kill bad people.

What happened to Pat? Oh yes,

But I can't help but wonder, if we could talk to the dead Pat Tillman now, would he still of made the choice to go kill people, if he knew he was going to be killed by his own people.

Or how his murder would be used as a propaganda tool by the same country he loved so much.
    -

But somehow Jimmy V you think it's not delusional to do what Pat Tillman did.

But it seems that he was as deluded as these Boston kids.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I highly doubt Pat Tillman was looking forward to killing 8 year olds with a clean conscious when he enlisted. I don't think he would text "LOL" when one of his friends said he looked like the guy that went into a village throwing random hand grenades.

So we can stop the comparison there.

I do think leaving the NFL to fight in war is kind of crazy.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Like Pat Tillman. He had a pretty good life, money on the horizon, then gave it up because he thought he was going to afghanistan to protect freedom and kill bad people.

But I can't help but wonder, if we could talk to the dead Pat Tillman now, would he still of made the choice to go kill people, if he knew he was going to be killed by his own people.

Or how his murder would be used as a propaganda tool by the same country he loved so much.
    -

1) Please don't tell me what I think because you don't know.

2) Pat Tillman gave up the life he led to enlist and serve a cause he believed in. Piece of shit Bomber #2 attempted to commit mass murder and then that night went to a party. A party full of the same Americans he claimed to hate. He and Pat Tillman are not the same.

• Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I highly doubt Pat Tillman was looking forward to killing 8 year olds with a clean conscious when he enlisted. I don't think he would text "LOL" when one of his friends said he looked like the guy that went into a village throwing random hand grenades.

Agreed.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Idris wrote:

-

2) Pat Tillman gave up the life he led to enlist and serve a cause he believed in. Piece of shit Bomber #2 attempted to commit mass murder and then that night went to a party. A party full of the same Americans he claimed to hate. He and Pat Tillman are not the same.

Yes I don't know what you think. Now tell me, do you think Tillman was delusional? (Maybe you do think he (or what he did) was delusional)

Yes he believed in that/a cause, so did the Boston Bombers.

Yes, they are very much the same.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Jason P wrote:

I'm speaking generally, so specifics like would he type 'lol' is not my concern. I'm simply saying that what he did or was trying to do, was the same or very similiar to what these Boston kids did.

If they (the military) gave Tillman a command, "go run as fast as you can and plant this explosive device in that building", you think Pat would sit and wonder, whats in the building, who am I really killing. Or would he just go run, and plant it.

Following commands like cattle.
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    Idris wrote:

-

Yes I don't know what you think. Now tell me, do you think Tillman was delusional? (Maybe you do think he (or what he did) was delusional)

Yes he believed in that/a cause, so did the Boston Bombers.

Yes, they are very much the same.

I don't think delusional is the right word for Tillman but if some choose to use it so be it. I wouldn't make the same choice he did, certainly. But, again, Tillman gave up the comforts he had to enlist and serve. The bomber brothers gave up nothing and if they had gotten away with their crimes they would still be right here in Massachusetts living the good life. Comparing them to Tillman is ridiculous. It really is.

• Options
    One brother lost his life, the other probably gonna be jailed for life, I think they gave up = to Tillman.

Sure, if we just look at it from a monetary perspective. Tillman gave up more, but it would be silly to just look at it from that point of view.

The Bombers, as you said had a life, they would party etc. So they did give that up, as it's been noted they had a decent life here. Like Pat Tillman,

and all of em (all three bombers pat and the brothers), gave it up, for a cause they believed to be right/just.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    One brother lost his life, the other probably gonna be jailed for life, I think they gave up = to Tillman.

Sure, if we just look at it from a monetary perspective. Tillman gave up more, but it would be silly to just look at it from that point of view.

The Bombers, as you said had a life, they would party etc. So they did give that up, as it's been noted they had a decent life here. Like Pat Tillman,

and all of em (all three bombers pat and the brothers), gave it up, for a cause they believed to be right/just.

They gave up those lives only because they were caught. If they hadn't been caught then they would have given up nothing. Tillman gave up the comforts of his prior life when he enlisted. There was no illusion that he was going to be a soldier for a few hours and then head back to Arizona the way these two went back to Cambridge and Dartmouth. One does not equal the other, has nothing to do with money, and is not the same.

If Pat Tillman had moved to Afghanistan, lived amongst the people, plotted, secretly built multiple bombs, looked for a soft target, planted those bombs, detonated those bombs, and then ran away to blend back into the life he had created for himself there then he could be compared to these two. But that didn't happen.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    They gave up those lives only because they were caught. If they hadn't been caught then they would have given up nothing. Tillman gave up the comforts of his prior life when he enlisted. There was no illusion that he was going to be a soldier for a few hours and then head back to Arizona the way these two went back to Cambridge and Dartmouth. One does not equal the other, has nothing to do with money, and is not the same.

If Pat Tillman had moved to Afghanistan, lived amongst the people, plotted, secretly built multiple bombs, looked for a soft target, planted those bombs, detonated those bombs, and then ran away to blend back into the life he had created for himself there then he could be compared to these two. But that didn't happen.

You say it has nothing to do with money, then talk about the comforts in life he gave up before and a potential lucrative career.

And Tillman gave up his life, cause he was killed by his own people.
    -

Is it really better or that different, Pat Tillman traveled to a country that he probably knew nothing about, and was ready to do as much damage as he would be able to do defending what he probably thought was freedom.
    -

I'm going to have to leave this as it is. I've said what I had to say, and hope that at least a portion of my posts have been properly understood.
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    idris wrote:
    I'm speaking generally, so specifics like would he type 'lol' is not my concern.
    A wise choice, considering your argument completely collapses on itself when you DO consider the relevant "specifics" and facts.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

You say it has nothing to do with money, then talk about the comforts in life he gave up before and a potential lucrative career.

And Tillman gave up his life, cause he was killed by his own people.
    -

Is it really better or that different, Pat Tillman traveled to a country that he probably knew nothing about, and was ready to do as much damage as he would be able to do defending what he probably thought was freedom.
    -

I'm going to have to leave this as it is. I've said what I had to say, and hope that at least a portion of my posts have been properly understood.

Soldiers don't live comfortable lives. An army barracks shares nothing in common with the penthouses or mansions common to NFL players. I'm talking about the comfort of those dwellings, not the price they cost. Soldiers on duty have very little individual freedom, the bomber brothers were free to party as much as they wished. Tillman was killed by friendly fire, yes, but he had given up the life he had been leading long before that.

I have understood every one of your posts but I disagree wholeheartedly with your argument. And the question was not whether Pat Tillman was better than these two murderers, the question was whether they are the same. Those are two different questions. The answer to the first is yes, the answer to the second is no.

To my earlier point, if Bomber #1 had chose to stay in Chechnya and join the resistance THEN he could be compared to Pat Tillman. If bomber #2 had dropped out of college and moved to Afghanistan to join the Taliban, then he too could be compared to Pat Tillman. But neither one of them did those things. If you want to compare Tillman to a resistance fighter in Chechnya or Afghanistan, go right ahead. But that is not who these two brothers were.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Idris wrote:

-

That could be one of the most ignorant posts I've seen running through these threads.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

-

That could be one of the most ignorant posts I've seen running through these threads.

No I really do wonder if Pat could speak now, what he would say.

What is so ignorant about what I posted?

Did he not think that going to afghanistan was a good idea?

Did he not think that what he was doing was just and right?
    -

Come on, Last Exit, don't just post 'That could be one of the most ignorant posts I've seen running through these threads.'

Then leave, whats that about? Speak your mind.
  • Options
    Pat Tillman saw his country get attacked by terrorists and wanted to fight for his country because of that. He didn't go to Afghanistan, live off the government and commit a terrorist act.

These 2 guys came to America to live a life that they otherwise couldn't in Russia. Then, for whatever reason, decided to kill innocent people.

So to compare pat tillman to these two murderers in any fashion is ignorant.
  • Options
    Pat Tillman saw his country get attacked by terrorists and wanted to fight for his country because of that. He didn't go to Afghanistan, live off the government and commit a terrorist act.

These 2 guys came to America to live a life that they otherwise couldn't in Russia. Then, for whatever reason, decided to kill innocent people.

So they both had reasons? Exactly.

Me, I don't think any of what they did was just. I'm not defending the brothers and not defending Tillman.

Why Pat left the US to go fight a war he probably knew nothing about, quite possibly based his decision on emotion after 9/11. Like many others.

That can be viewed as ignorance, And then let's look at it now over 10 years later, what has the US done for Afghanistan? Other then liberate many afghans from their limbs and create more 'terrorists'.
    -
    A 'just' cause to get back the people who destroyed the towers? Nah,

The same death and destrcuction.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

Me, I don't think any of what they did was just. I'm not defending the brothers and not defending Tillman.

Why Pat left the US to go fight a war he probably knew nothing about, quite possibly based his decision on emotion after 9/11. Like many others.

That can be viewed as ignorance, And then let's look at it now over 10 years later, what has the US done for Afghanistan? Other then liberate many afghans from their limbs and create more 'terrorists'.
    -

So enlisting because he saw his country attacked isn't just, but ignorant?
    Were all the soldiers that enlisted after pearl harbor ignorant as well?
  • Options

When we don't know the full reasons for said attack, then yes. It can be, after 9/11, how many people turned their brains off, and just fell in line, how any people were asking "why"?

and like Pearl Harbor, the US needed it, and used it for it's own greedy purpose.

You don't think that we had pearl harbor coming? We instigated that attack, very much like how we instigated 9/11.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

-

They both had reasons so they're the same? That is the criteria now? The weakest argument I have heard yet.

• Options
    Idris wrote:

When we don't know the full reasons for said attack, then yes. It can be, after 9/11, how many people turned their brains off, and just fell in line, how any people were asking "why"?

and like Pearl Harbor, the US needed it, and used it for it's own greedy purpose.

You don't think that we had pearl harbor coming? We instigated that attack, very much like how we instigated 9/11.

No, its not ignorant for a citizen to enlist when he/she sees their country attacked. Ever. What soldier ever knows what the reason is for war? I won't argue FDR wanted in WWII, but by no means does that mean the guys that enlisted to fight were ignorant.
    As far as 9/11 goes, its the same concept. I'm not going to say we instigated hijacked airplanes flying into building. I don't believe that. I hated GW as much as the next guy, but i dont think he was dropping flyers in the middle east saying attack America, we need another war.
  • Options
    Was I on vacation when the US attacked Russia?

the last couple of pages are confusing me.
  • Options
    No, its not ignorant for a citizen to enlist when he/she sees their country attacked. Ever. What soldier ever knows what the reason is for war? I won't argue FDR wanted in WWII, but by no means does that mean the guys that enlisted to fight were ignorant.
    As far as 9/11 goes, its the same concept. I'm not going to say we instigated hijacked airplanes flying into building. I don't believe that. I hated GW as much as the next guy, but i dont think he was dropping flyers in the middle east saying attack America, we need another war.

Yes, exactly! As you say,
    What soldier ever knows what the reason is for war?

If you do something, and you don't truly know the reason, you are ignorant, an idiot or whatever else in line with that.

If all these soliders, past and present, were truly aware of the reality of the wars they are/have fought, reasons 'why', they would be a fool to fight, and if a person, solider or anyone else just follows orders cause he has emotion for the country he was born in. Yes they are ignorant.

Agian, you agree with me about FDR, so how can you say that those soldiers were not ignorant? Yes they may of been good people. But they were still fools.

They based what they did on emotion, not the reality of the situation, same with the ones (some) who joined up after 9/11.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

Yes, exactly! As you say,
    What soldier ever knows what the reason is for war?

If you do something, and you don't truly know the reason, you are ignorant, an idiot or whatever else in line with that.

If all these soliders, past and present, were truly aware of the reality of the wars they are/have fought, reasons 'why', they would be a fool to fight, and if a person, solider or anyone else just follows orders cause he has emotion for the country he was born in. Yes they are ignorant.

Agian, you agree with me about FDR, so how can you say that those soldiers were not ignorant? Yes they may of been good people. But they were still fools.

They based what they did on emotion, not the reality of the situation, same with the ones who joined up after 9/11.

Yes, I agree with you about FDR, but he didnt enlist. There are 2 reasons people enlist- one is for a career during peacetime and the other is to fight. Its not ignorant for a person to enlist to fight. Ever. Doesnt matter what his thought process is. Maybe he just want to kill arabs (or japanese in WWII).
  • Options
    There are 2 reasons people enlist- one is for a career during peacetime and the other is to fight. Its not ignorant for a person to enlist to fight. Ever. Doesnt matter what his thought process is. Maybe he just want to kill arabs (or japanese in WWII).

ummm, If you say so.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Jason P wrote:

Maybe it was payback for snatching Red October.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Maybe it was payback for snatching Red October.
    But is was sunk by the Soviets and now rests at the bottom of the Laurentian Abyss.

;)
  • Options
    Here is a mind bending question of logic and rational.

The bombers say an attack on one muslim is an attack on all muslims.

So ...... what do we make of the daily bombings of muslims on muslims in the middle east? Are we witnessing one big chain reaction?

:think:
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

-

This may be one of the most thought out posts of the day.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08