Options

The Mark Lanegan thread

mipmip Posts: 33
edited December 2013 in Other Music
Can we have a thread where we discuss Mark Lanegan and all his work?

We can start with your favourite Mark Lanegan record?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    About 6 months ago I got the Screaming Trees' "Last Words: The Final Recordings" and it blew my mind. They recorded it in the late 90s, forgot about it, lost it, found and released it in 2011. Such an excellent band, great voice, great drummer. Haven't gotten much into Lanegan's solo stuff. I think "Last Words" and "Sweet Oblivion" are my fave Trees albums.
  • Options
    Difficult to pick a favourite album as he does many different styles with different people/groups. I would say that his last solo album 'Blues Funeral' is among his best work. He has a new album out next month with Duke Garwood that I would recommend picking up. Very mellow, dreamy acoustic kind of vibe.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    would listen to anything he is involved in

solo
    Screaming Trees
    QOTSA
    Soulsavers
    Gutter Twins
    Isobel Campbell albums
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    DM213518DM213518 Posts: 117
    I'll have to check out the screaming trees cd from 2011.I'm looking forward to picking up the Nataile Maines & Ben Harper cd aswell. I believe it comes out on May 7th.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    smarchee wrote:

solo
    Screaming Trees
    QOTSA
    Soulsavers
    Gutter Twins
    Isobel Campbell albums

The Gutter Twins album is exceptional. Dulli and him are a perfect pair.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    DM213518DM213518 Posts: 117
    I heard some of Marks solo stuff on the Mike & Barrett Martin thing on PJ radio. More music to add to my search. That's awesome. Gotta get Walking Papers too. Anyone know when it's out, or is it out already?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    RS151862 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

solo
    Screaming Trees
    QOTSA
    Soulsavers
    Gutter Twins
    Isobel Campbell albums

The Gutter Twins album is exceptional. Dulli and him are a perfect pair.

that it was, would love to hear about a follow-up album from the two
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Where to even begin?! The guy is a fuckin genius, aside from his brilliant solo stuff and of course Screaming Trees, there is so much amazing collaboration work.

At the moment I'm on a massive QOTSA kick, he adds so much to that band. At the moment I'm a little bit obsessed with In The Fade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_tR48eLVkg
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    He is great! Difficult to choose my favourite abum. From his solo albums, Field Songs is my fave but I love them all.
    Other songs with Lanegan that I love: Red Balloon (Reason To Believe: The Songs of Tim Hardin), Fire and Brimstone (Lawless Soundtrack), All Night Long (Sunday Nights: The Songs of Junior Kimbrough) and Untitled Lullabye (Free The West Memphis Three benefit album).
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmKuTlD9h2U

Soulsavers/Mark Lanegan - Some Misunderstanding

if ever there was a song to put on repeat....
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    sweet oblivion is awesome
    dollar bill is one of the best songs in the history of songs
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 777
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCa9BBVeTjo

Awesome performance of 4 songs from "Blues Funeral"!

I am a fan of all of his work, definetely a top vocalist for me.
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    Saw him with QOTSA at Koolhaus in Toronto 2003 (Sept 29th) and they performed In The Fade :)

Monsters in the Parasol blew my mind
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course

• Options
    GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    DM213518 wrote:
    I'll have to check out the screaming trees cd from 2011.I'm looking forward to picking up the Nataile Maines & Ben Harper cd aswell. I believe it comes out on May 7th.

Definitely check out "Last Words" from 2011 -- it's fantastic. While you're at it, also grab the song "Revival" from his Soulsavers work.

As for his solo stuff, I love all of it, but Whisky for the Holy Ghost will always be #1 for me if only because that's where it all started for me, after hearing some of his Uncle Anesthesia-era ST stuff. Carnival could be my favorite song of his many, many great songs.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    I met him in Minneapolis after a show last year. He was pleasant but I wouldn't want to get on his bad side. Imagine the stories he could tell...
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Whiskey For The Holy Ghost is one of my favorite albums ever
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Kudos for starting this thread, been a big fan for many years now. It's impossible for me to pick a favorite album, but like most of you I got into him through the Trees. Quite honestly he's my favorite musician alive right now, everything the man touches turns to gold and he only seems to get better with age. I'm sure whatever he releases next will be brilliant. In the meantime, I suggest everyone check out his collab with Duke Garwood, some great tunes on that one. If you're new to Mark, I definitely recommend starting out with the Trees (a criminally underrated band--easily as good as PJ, SG, AIC, etc.)
  • Options
    Kudos for starting this thread, been a big fan for many years now. It's impossible for me to pick a favorite album, but like most of you I got into him through the Trees. Quite honestly he's my favorite musician alive right now, everything the man touches turns to gold and he only seems to get better with age. I'm sure whatever he releases next will be brilliant. In the meantime, I suggest everyone check out his collab with Duke Garwood, some great tunes on that one. If you're new to Mark, I definitely recommend starting out with the Trees (a criminally underrated band--easily as good as PJ, SG, AIC, etc.)

did the album with garwood leak or something? it hash't come out yet.
  • Options

Yes it leaked last month I think. It's a great album but might not be to everyone's taste.

I'm a huge Lanegan fan but never really got into the Screaming Tress that much. Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is where I started and it is amazing, along with Blues Funeral, The first Soulsavers album and the first album with Isobel Campbell are all essential. There is some live cds that he sold at shows floating around if you can get a hold of any. I highly recommend live at Leeds - Its a solo acoustic show. I saw him on that tour and I hope he does something similar again one day.
  • Options

Yes it leaked last month I think. It's a great album but might not be to everyone's taste.

I'm a huge Lanegan fan but never really got into the Screaming Tress that much. Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is where I started and it is amazing, along with Blues Funeral, The first Soulsavers album and the first album with Isobel Campbell are all essential. There is some live cds that he sold at shows floating around if you can get a hold of any. I highly recommend live at Leeds - Its a solo acoustic show. I saw him on that tour and I hope he does something similar again one day.

AHHH man if you could hook me up and lead me in the right direction of the leak (pm or whatever) I'd be very grateful. I'm at college and there are torrent blocks.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Where, oh, where have you been my love?
    Where, oh, where can you be?
    It's been so long, since the moon has gone.
    and oh what a wreck you've made me
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    I don't think one thread can contain a discussion of Mark Lanegans work.

He is the guy that everyone can recognize as being a guest singer on some of their favorite songs but never think to look up. Then when they do look him up they realize how amazing he is. At least thats my story.

I only really found him when Songs for the Deaf came out and I was looking up the other members. Found Bubblegum as my test album to see if I could get into his music and I was hooked.

Mark Lanegan Solo
    Soulsavers
    Gutter Twins
    Screaming Trees
    Mad Season
    QOTSA
    Isobel Campbell

Everything he is in is amazing. Seeing him live solo in a small venue when he was touring for Blues Funeral was pretty much a bucket list wish. Also got to see him when he and Duli were touring as The Gutter Twins.

He reminds me of Alain Johannes where they are these talented musicians that are in everything and appear to be a musicians musician yet never reached the notoriety they deserve.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I first got into Mark through Screaming Trees. I think John Peel had played something from Uncle Anesthesia on the radio and mentioned that it was produced by Chris Cornell so I checked it out. A very happy accident.

My favourite Lanegan record changes all the time. For years it was Whiskey, then Field Songs, but Blues Funeral was my favourite album last year and I still play it all the time. Let's face it, the guy hasn't released a bad record! Of the collaborations, I love the 2nd and 3rd Soulsavers records, and both the Gutter Twins releases and the 2nd record with Isobel are fantastic.

I've been lucky enough to see Mark live a bunch of times with some of his different projects (1x Screaming Trees, 3x Mark Lanegan Band, 1x Twilight Singers, 1x Gutter Twins, 2x Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, 1x Soulsavers, 2x "An Evening with Greg Dulli & Mark Lanegan", 1x solo acoustic show) and he is always mesmerizing.

I can't wait to hear the Duke Garwood collaboration. He was the support act at both "Evening With GD & ML" shows I saw and he came over while I was chatting to Mark after one of them, he seems like a cool guy too. I love the fact that Mark is respected by other musicians who want to work with him (everyone from Moby to QOTSA to Creature With The Atom Brain to Isobel) but he still isn't 'mainstream' famous. He still feels like a best-kept-secret at times.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    I love Mark Lanegan, he has such an amazing voice. When I bought the Soulsavers album "Broken", I about died when I was listening to it and realized it was Mike Patton on the track "Unbalanced Pieces". It's kind of how I felt the first time I heard Hunger Strike... two of the best voices in rock collaborating on a great song. It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3UmyOA-u4
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    mbangel10 wrote:
    I love Mark Lanegan, he has such an amazing voice. When I bought the Soulsavers album "Broken", I about died when I was listening to it and realized it was Mike Patton on the track "Unbalanced Pieces". It's kind of how I felt the first time I heard Hunger Strike... two of the best voices in rock collaborating on a great song. It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3UmyOA-u4

I love this song. Like a dream come true with my 2 fav singers doing this song together. I'm surprised this song not getting more attention. I hope they do some more songs together in the future. Broken is a damn fine record. Played it alot when it was released. Must listen again right now :)
  • Options
    I love the bonus tracks on the Mad Season Above Deluxe. Mark and Mike together is magic. To bad there are only 3 songs. I would love some more of these songs and maybe a few liveshows :)

Slip Away what a song :corn:

I love the Layne stuff too, don't get me wrong.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    How in the HELL did I not know a new Mark Lanegan album came out this past Tuesday!!!!!

:fp: :fp: :fp:

It's actually awesome that it did! :P

How come there was no buzz here, peeps? Blues Funeral had tons of buildup and response.
  • Options
    I was blown away by extra tracks on the Mad Season re-release, especially Slip Away. I hadn't been exposed to the Screaming Trees before outside of "Nearly Lost You" and "All I Know" so I decided to buy 3 of their albums that were packaged together off Amazon (no liner notes in the albums, but for $15 you can't go wrong). Anyway, I've been listening to these albums over the past few weeks and the one song that really stands out to me is "No One Knows" off Sweet Oblivion. Really great tune and I have a feeling I'll be purchasing more of their albums in the very near future.
    "Hail, Hail the lucky ones...I refer to those in love"
    Mansfield, MA 9/16/98, 8/29/00
    Charlotte, NC 4/16/03, 10/30/13 (10th Show!!)
    Atlanta, GA 4/19/03, 9/22/12
    Asheville, NC 10/6/04
    Columbia, SC 6/16/08, 4/21/16
    Alpine Valley, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Greenville, SC 4/16/16
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Grabbed his Black Pudding collab LP today for $11.99. After listening to it, I would've easily paid 3x as much. Great album!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com