Hawking "humans must leave earth to survive"

2»

Comments

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    brianlux said:
    Hey Brian, did you check out Black Mirror yet?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    i've also heard the fish will run out in the ocean by 2050, just saying...and that one's not mister hawking's prediction!
    we are f'd no matter which way you slice the sandwich  ;)
    yes, I have heard that too. it is realy difficult for me to fathom us overfishing to the point of the ocean being empty in only 30 years. the sheer vastness of it doesn't seem to add up. 

either way, I am going to encourage my kids to not procreate. Get a dog. 
    Never underestimate the ability of humans to decimate a population quickly. They managed to nearly wipe out beavers and buffalo in North America in only a handful of decades back when the population was only a small fraction of what it is today. I have no doubt whatsoever that people can empty the oceans and seas in 30 years, especially with climate change doing the same job at the same time..... It's also fathomable that somehow governments will step in and do something real before this happens... but I'm not holding my breath. I feel extremely pessimistic about the future of humanity and how much damage it can still do before it's gone.
    Turkey too, almost wiped them out.  Passenger Pigeons by the millions, gone.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    i've also heard the fish will run out in the ocean by 2050, just saying...and that one's not mister hawking's prediction!
    yes, I have heard that too. it is realy difficult for me to fathom us overfishing to the point of the ocean being empty in only 30 years. the sheer vastness of it doesn't seem to add up. 

Never underestimate the ability of humans to decimate a population quickly. They managed to nearly wipe out beavers and buffalo in North America in only a handful of decades back when the population was only a small fraction of what it is today. I have no doubt whatsoever that people can empty the oceans and seas in 30 years, especially with climate change doing the same job at the same time..... It's also fathomable that somehow governments will step in and do something real before this happens... but I'm not holding my breath. I feel extremely pessimistic about the future of humanity and how much damage it can still do before it's gone.
    there is an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea. not really comparable to beavers or buffalo. but still, i see your point. i have a hard time believing that governments will step in, because that would require international cooperation on an unprecedented level, and that just won't happen. if it does, it will most likely be too late already. humankind has a bad habit of fixing things when they are already beyond repair. 
    The Bison density was probably higher, millions upon millions in a much smaller geography.
    The ocean is actually pretty empty already.  The great expanses of intercontinental ocean are largely empty, most of the fish live in coastal ecosystems, where we fish them like crazy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    what blows my mind is how destructive we have become to our planet in the last 100 years and with the pace of that destruction multiplying faster and faster. we just can't maintain this pace of destruction. be it, the rain forest, the oceans, air pollution etc etc
    when we finally strip the ocean of fish what are all those people going to do who depend on fish as their main dietary source of food? are they ready? i doubt it.
    do we have another 100 years of being able to sustain ourselves like they way we are now? i highly doubt it and like others have mentioned it will need to be a focused response by everyone on the planet...good luck to that !!
    i try to be upbeat and positive mostly but we are headed for extinction and at a accelerating pace! if anything stephen should be commended for making us talk about it...cause the opposite to that is harmful to our species.
    Yes, I agree it feels stressful. Sometimes I feel like we are waiting until it's really really bad to make the real changes but then it's already too late.  The COP21 meeting that was Held in Paris 2015, I think many good decisions was made but I am doubtful the strength is there to keep those promises.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

there is an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea. not really comparable to beavers or buffalo. but still, i see your point. i have a hard time believing that governments will step in, because that would require international cooperation on an unprecedented level, and that just won't happen. if it does, it will most likely be too late already. humankind has a bad habit of fixing things when they are already beyond repair. 
    The Bison density was probably higher, millions upon millions in a much smaller geography.
    The ocean is actually pretty empty already.  The great expanses of intercontinental ocean are largely empty, most of the fish live in coastal ecosystems, where we fish them like crazy.
    really? if that's true, my perception is much different than reality. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

Many populations have already managed to wipe out the fish populations in their own regions, and again, that was back when the population was a fraction of what it is now. The ocean has already been emptied of a huge portion of the life it holds - finishing the job shouldn't be hard at all. I think you may be underestimating just how much people take out of it. Add to that all the sea life that is just dying off because of pollution and climate change .... I sincerely think the oceans are doomed. I actually think we've already passed the point of no return.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    PJ_Soul said:

There is not an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea (I mean, unless you're talking about dating....). The ocean's resources are vast but definitely not unlimited. Humans have already wiped out certain fish populations by overfishing and we are not learning from that lesson. Fishing technology is just far too efficient now. When you count in waste from bycatch and the fact that a lot of species are unpalatable, I can easily see humans turning the oceans into a desert.
    i said unimaginable, not unlimited. i personally can't imagine every single fish on the planet. it's inconceivable to a human. again, i'm not saying we won't ruin it. we most likely will, i just can't see it happening that soon. 

that being said, i'm not against regulations at all. we overfish. we fucking over-everything. it's gross. 
    It's not like people would literally fish every fish out of the oceans. Once you hit a certain point, populations can't thrive and die off anyway, and that, of course, carries on up the food chain. Besides, it started happening many many years ago - we're just in the last dying breaths now, which is why 30 years could be a very realistic number.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There is not an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea (I mean, unless you're talking about dating....). The ocean's resources are vast but definitely not unlimited. Humans have already wiped out certain fish populations by overfishing and we are not learning from that lesson. Fishing technology is just far too efficient now. When you count in waste from bycatch and the fact that a lot of species are unpalatable, I can easily see humans turning the oceans into a desert.
    i said unimaginable, not unlimited. i personally can't imagine every single fish on the planet. it's inconceivable to a human. again, i'm not saying we won't ruin it. we most likely will, i just can't see it happening that soon. 

that being said, i'm not against regulations at all. we overfish. we fucking over-everything. it's gross. 
    It's not like people would literally fish every fish out of the oceans. Once you hit a certain point, populations can't thrive and die off anyway, and that, of course, carries on up the food chain. Besides, it started happening many many years ago - we're just in the last dying breaths now, which is why 30 years could be a very realistic number.
    you may have missed my reply to gambs. my perception does not seem to mirror reality. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:
    Hey Brian, did you check out Black Mirror yet?
    No, dang it!  Couldn't find it on Netflix.  Maybe because we don't have streaming?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Well, thank you for putting me in a box, quote feature, haha.

Anyway, what I was going to say is--

First, to be clear, I may make suggestions, but I don't tell others what they should or should not eat.  For me personally, I stopped eating all fish and shellfish, farmed, wild or otherwise that comes out of the ocean.  The oceans are our number one lifeline.  Everything that keeps us alive depends on the oceans and life in them is being depleted rapidly.  It's a sobering thought.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.