Options

Hawking "humans must leave earth to survive"

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Time to rethink those NASA budget cuts?

http://now.msn.com/stephen-hawking-said ... to-survive

Stephen Hawking knows a thing or two about how the universe works. So when the renowned physicist issues a warning that our time on Earth is running out, it’s probably worth hearing him out. Hawking recently told an audience at L.A.’s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center that, if mankind would like to continue existing, we need to get off this rock of ours — pronto (well, in science years). Hawking said human beings "won't survive another 1,000 years without escaping our fragile planet," and that we need to continue space exploration so we can get off this sinking ship called Earth.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I won't be here in 1000 years-I'm not worried.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think he is wrong.

I agree with eventually, we will have to. At some point for humans to keep existing, we will need another planet.

To put a time frame on it like that is a bit ignorant IMO.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Nibiru is Coming!
  • Options
    i believe it will be too freaking hot for humans to thrive by 1000 years
    mass exodus or mass extinction

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    wow

1,000 years? that aint no time at all. in 1,000 years... it will be here tomorrow. this dude works fast & quicker. i myself i love earth & dislike assholes screwing earth up with pollutions & greedy ass deep water oil drilling dicks.

stephen hawking is out of his mind from one day to the next just like many of us. imagination wonderful
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

i myself i love earth & dislike assholes screwing earth up with pollutions & greedy ass deep water oil drilling dicks.

indeed which is why we will never be able to unwind in time
    production was halted and prototypes destroyed on electric cars in the 70's
    after the gas "shortage"
    that was 40 fucking years ago
    had we started then?
    well we'll never know

• Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    idiot
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    meh
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,522
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, he said this years ago. And I'm sure he's probably right. No one cares, because most people don't have the ability to care about what happens hundreds of years in the future. The people approving funding for space programs only care about whether or not they're going to win the next election.

I think that ending the shuttle program was only a good idea if they plan on starting a great new program. Which is supposedly the plan. Meanwhile, I guess future generations should feel lucky that China is getting into the space game (hopefully they don't mess up space the way they've messed up China). The US doesn't have to be the one getting people into the space. Humans do. Also luckily, 800 years or whatever it is is a LONG time for technological advancements in space travel to develop.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    I plan on becoming part of this Earth by way of cremation as soon as my old ass dies off so no leaving for me at least in my physical form ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I'm ready. Fly me to the Moon!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I plan on becoming part of this Earth by way of cremation as soon as my old ass dies off so no leaving for me at least in my physical form ..
    nicely done.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    chadwick wrote:
    nicely done.

I know you will do the same ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    my wife and i looked at 3 places on mars last weekend.

way overpriced. :roll:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    my wife and i looked at 3 places on mars last weekend.

way overpriced. :roll:
    and then you have fence work & out of the ordinary unruly neighbors & their bullshit millennium falcon or something

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    now he is saying we have 100 years left before human extinction. even if he is wrong by 100 years we most surely are F'd. whats KILLS me is to find human cave paintings that are 35,000 years old, and here we are, the people who fuck up the planet in the last 100 years...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/05/stephen-hawking-human-extinction-colonize-planet.html

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    I don't buy it. he is trying to sell his documentary. any time someone makes a bold, especially fear-based claim like that, and it turns out they are promoting something, I call BS. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i've also heard the fish will run out in the ocean by 2050, just saying...and that one's not mister hawking's prediction!
    we are f'd no matter which way you slice the sandwich  ;)
  • Options
    i've also heard the fish will run out in the ocean by 2050, just saying...and that one's not mister hawking's prediction!
    yes, I have heard that too. it is realy difficult for me to fathom us overfishing to the point of the ocean being empty in only 30 years. the sheer vastness of it doesn't seem to add up. 

either way, I am going to encourage my kids to not procreate. Get a dog. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I recently read that Vancouver would have about the same climate as San Diego by 2050, which would be a complete ecological and economic disaster obviously. That wasn't a Hawking prediction either. :confounded: Yeah, we're fucked. I am REALLY glad I chose not to have children. I feel better about that choice every fucking day. Which is depressing, in a way, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    yes, I have heard that too. it is realy difficult for me to fathom us overfishing to the point of the ocean being empty in only 30 years. the sheer vastness of it doesn't seem to add up. 

Never underestimate the ability of humans to decimate a population quickly. They managed to nearly wipe out beavers and buffalo in North America in only a handful of decades back when the population was only a small fraction of what it is today. I have no doubt whatsoever that people can empty the oceans and seas in 30 years, especially with climate change doing the same job at the same time..... It's also fathomable that somehow governments will step in and do something real before this happens... but I'm not holding my breath. I feel extremely pessimistic about the future of humanity and how much damage it can still do before it's gone.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Never underestimate the ability of humans to decimate a population quickly. They managed to nearly wipe out beavers and buffalo in North America in only a handful of decades back when the population was only a small fraction of what it is today. I have no doubt whatsoever that people can empty the oceans and seas in 30 years, especially with climate change doing the same job at the same time..... It's also fathomable that somehow governments will step in and do something real before this happens... but I'm not holding my breath. I feel extremely pessimistic about the future of humanity and how much damage it can still do before it's gone.
    there is an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea. not really comparable to beavers or buffalo. but still, i see your point. i have a hard time believing that governments will step in, because that would require international cooperation on an unprecedented level, and that just won't happen. if it does, it will most likely be too late already. humankind has a bad habit of fixing things when they are already beyond repair. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:

there is an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea. not really comparable to beavers or buffalo. but still, i see your point. i have a hard time believing that governments will step in, because that would require international cooperation on an unprecedented level, and that just won't happen. if it does, it will most likely be too late already. humankind has a bad habit of fixing things when they are already beyond repair. 

There is not an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea (I mean, unless you're talking about dating....). The ocean's resources are vast but definitely not unlimited. Humans have already wiped out certain fish populations by overfishing and we are not learning from that lesson. Fishing technology is just far too efficient now. When you count in waste from bycatch and the fact that a lot of species are unpalatable, I can easily see humans turning the oceans into a desert.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

There is not an unimaginable amount of fish in the sea (I mean, unless you're talking about dating....). The ocean's resources are vast but definitely not unlimited. Humans have already wiped out certain fish populations by overfishing and we are not learning from that lesson. Fishing technology is just far too efficient now. When you count in waste from bycatch and the fact that a lot of species are unpalatable, I can easily see humans turning the oceans into a desert.
    i said unimaginable, not unlimited. i personally can't imagine every single fish on the planet. it's inconceivable to a human. again, i'm not saying we won't ruin it. we most likely will, i just can't see it happening that soon. 

that being said, i'm not against regulations at all. we overfish. we fucking over-everything. it's gross. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

I don't buy it. he is trying to sell his documentary. any time someone makes a bold, especially fear-based claim like that, and it turns out they are promoting something, I call BS. 
    My first thought was, Stephen Hawk-kaching

Plus, these kinds of predictions are so freaking unproductive.  Yes, if we kill the oceans (and we are doing our damnedest to do so) we will go extinct.  If we jack the global temp up too high, adios amigos.  If he engage in all out nuclear war, gonners.  But we don't know when and we don't know how complete will be our demise.  Instead of wasting time making predictions like this, I wish high profile science guys like Hawking would do something useful to help- and a lot of them are- people like Elizabeth Kolbert and Edward O. Wilson-  as well as scores of lesser famous scientists. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    He is dangerous and directed..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    what blows my mind is how destructive we have become to our planet in the last 100 years and with the pace of that destruction multiplying faster and faster. we just can't maintain this pace of destruction. be it, the rain forest, the oceans, air pollution etc etc
    when we finally strip the ocean of fish what are all those people going to do who depend on fish as their main dietary source of food? are they ready? i doubt it.
    do we have another 100 years of being able to sustain ourselves like they way we are now? i highly doubt it and like others have mentioned it will need to be a focused response by everyone on the planet...good luck to that !!
    i try to be upbeat and positive mostly but we are headed for extinction and at a accelerating pace! if anything stephen should be commended for making us talk about it...cause the opposite to that is harmful to our species.
    Post edited by helplessdancer on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.