Options

What Jay-z said to me about Pearl Jam

2»

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    JB128716 wrote:

Speaking of OG, Ice-T would be a great opener for PJ.
    or Bodycount
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I love how I'm the bad guy for pointing out a celebrity that assoicates with PJ (and paid PJ) took millions of dollars to play for a dictaor...

Yet PJ is always the first to point out the injustices of others.

Does anyone know who Muammar Gaddafi is???

This is not the place for this. You'll have to decide how you feel about Beyonce giving the funds to Haiti Relief when she learned who had put on the show. That can be discussed politely in A Moving Train.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Meow!
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    jasonjason Posts: 468
    What is happening on this thread??? A fun story about Jay-Z and Pearl Jam and how they talked to an everyday Joe, etc.... then it gets all personal. Keep it positive and friendly!
  • Options
    KM228407KM228407 Posts: 56
    Great story OP...
    JAY Z ROCKS!!
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I still am embarassed that PJ was on the same stage as that talentless scumbag. That was the worst moment in the history of the band, no matter what anyone says.

I thought it was awesome. Jayz is one of the few rappers in the last 15 years whose music I like.

Best part is PJ don't care what others think. They though it was awesome too.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I can see Jay Z liking PJ but I bet Beyoncé does more ;)
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    I love how I'm the bad guy for pointing out a celebrity that assoicates with PJ (and paid PJ) took millions of dollars to play for a dictaor...

This is not the place for this. You'll have to decide how you feel about Beyonce giving the funds to Haiti Relief when she learned who had put on the show. That can be discussed politely in A Moving Train.

:thumbup:
  • Options
    jason wrote:
    What is happening on this thread??? A fun story about Jay-Z and Pearl Jam and how they talked to an everyday Joe, etc.... then it gets all personal. Keep it positive and friendly!

Dude, some of the most insulting and inflammatory language I've ever read on this board has been about Pearl Jam playing a song with (gasp!) a rapper. It's called racism...and it's real.
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    jason wrote:

Dude, some of the most insulting and inflammatory language I've ever read on this board has been about Pearl Jam playing a song with (gasp!) a rapper. It's called racism...and it's real.

I think it's more the subject and lyrics of the song they played together that got to people.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    I can't help but laugh at how close minded people are on here sometimes. By no means do I like a ton of rap, but love him or hate him, Jay is one of the best performers and businessmen of the last 20 years or so. People see the clips on MTV or whatever and just think he is a typical shitty rapper (like 90% of them really are). But the guy knows all kinds of music and respects the best in the business regardless of genre. Seeing him come out with PJ was one of the cooler things I've seen at any concert.

Him and Nas are two of the best lyricists around, go ahead, take a listen...you might be surprised.

And yea Beyonce sent all that money to Sandy relief....not that it has anything to do with the cool story OP ;)
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    JayZ & Beyonce took millions of dollars to perform for a dictaor's family! (Goggle: Gaddafi, Beyonce & JayZ)
    These are the people PJ associates with and performs with now??
    When PJ took money from JayZ's "Paid in America" Budweiser festival, I wonder if any of it was the same cash from Gaddafi's blood money account?
    Kinda makes EV's rants against Papa John's health insurance absolutley asinine!

"Normal People" dont take millions of dollars from dictators!!

Did I ever tell you the story of the pot and the kettle??

Last I checked PJ have the right to advance their career in whatever way they see fit. This is not 1992 when PJ can do whatever they want and still be a giant commercial success. Fact is this: Jay Z is one of the biggest names in music. When Jay Z asks you to do a large show with him you need to do it.

I certainley would not turn Jay Z down. Good career move for PJ.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    edited March 2013
    I can't help but laugh at how close minded people are on here sometimes. By no means do I like a ton of rap, but love him or hate him, Jay is one of the best performers and businessmen of the last 20 years or so. People see the clips on MTV or whatever and just think he is a typical shitty rapper (like 90% of them really are). But the guy knows all kinds of music and respects the best in the business regardless of genre. Seeing him come out with PJ was one of the cooler things I've seen at any concert.

Him and Nas are two of the best lyricists around, go ahead, take a listen...you might be surprised.

Couldn't have really been said any better than this. I think it's great that someone of his position/stature and in such a different genre holds such respect and admiration for PJ. He understands, he knows, he recognizes.....like the rest of us.
    Post edited by YLed2 on
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    Kat wrote:

Kat, that was like saying: "this is not the place to talk about this, but here's some extra information" :nono:
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    A guy with a board name that sounds out "would ya blow me" is talking about right and wrong ;)
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    One of my favourite collaborations ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnJnXq4YQ8

Jay-Z/Linkin Park 99 Problems/Points of Authority/One Step Closer

Actually wished the PJ/Jay-Z appearance had been more collaborative, like Jay-Z putting a new spin on a PJ song :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    One of my favourite collaborations ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnJnXq4YQ8

Actually wished the PJ/Jay-Z appearance had been more collaborative, like Jay-Z putting a new spin on a PJ song :mrgreen:

Wow I haven't seen that one in a long time. Reaching way back for that one! And as terrible as Linkin Park is now, Hybrid Theory was an absolute classic. Can't wait to pick that up at RSD. It's hard to believe how bad they got after that album...such promise :fp:
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay wrote:

Wow I haven't seen that one in a long time. Reaching way back for that one! And as terrible as Linkin Park is now, Hybrid Theory was an absolute classic. Can't wait to pick that up at RSD. It's hard to believe how bad they got after that album...such promise :fp:
    Yeah, I used to listen to them loads, can't remember why I stopped. Maybe cuz they got bad? :lol::lol:

Another awesome Linkin Park performance (with Chris Cornell): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_v1SLIt01Q

Sorry for the threadjack OP, your initial post just got me all excited and somehow we're now at Linkin Park & Chris Cornell :mrgreen:

Anyhow my point is collaborations are AWESOME when great musicians are involved!
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

Yep, loved that album. Used to watch the DVD all the time too.
  • Options
    PU38569PU38569 Posts: 260

I'm with you man. Aside from that, how about the fact that Jay-Z is a terrible role model.

It's like, I get it, you are richer than me, drive more cars than me, are more hood than me, etc etc. Do you really have to make yet another song about how much better than me you are? What's that? You actually found a way to take your money with you to the afterlife? And that's your latest reason why you are better than me?

Great, then I will just go to hell with all the poor people. There I won't have to listen to you brag about your material possessions all day.

And Beyonce has bad breath too, pass it on.
    This is a birthday pony
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

Yep, loved that album. Used to watch the DVD all the time too.

Yea collabs are a great way to get turned onto artists that you would have never otherwise discovered. There's so much damn great music out there I feel like I'll never touch it all.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    As long as he's still friends with Silent Bob, he's ok with me!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Suziemay wrote:
    Anyhow my point is collaborations are AWESOME when great musicians are involved!
    I think this is what's missing in the whole twisted commentary. Musicians love music, all kinds, see the creativity and heart that it takes to bring that thought into an expression, which, by the way, doesn't have to be admired or heartfelt by others to make it any more (or less) expressive or creative.

“Can I, can I say that, uh, it, uh, does something to your heart to, to at one point be writing a song in a room with a piece of, blank piece of paper and a pencil, and then, then not that much later you get half-way across the world, uh, to a place like this and have you sing along. It means a lot. Thank you very much.” Eddie Vedder, following Just Breathe, 2010-07-01 Heineken Open’er Festival, Gdynia, Poland
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    I still am embarassed that PJ was on the same stage as that talentless scumbag. That was the worst moment in the history of the band, no matter what anyone says.
    you should be embarrassed that you spelled embarrassed wrong :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Jay-z is great. Black Album is just fucking sick.. My only disappointment about PJ playing a song with him is that they didn't attempt something cooler, like "Public Service Announcement" or "Threat"

Pissed I wasn't there..

All this Jay-z bashing is ridiculous.. If you dont like the music, thats fine.. But don't say he is talentless, because he is far from it..

HOV!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    CanNotStayCanNotStay Posts: 137
    I don't really like Jay cause I don't respect his artistic integrity. That being said I thought the collab was great fun and enjoyed it along with the crowd and performers. It wouldn't have happened if everyone wasn't on board.
    6/03/06 Continental Airlines II East Rutherford, NJ
    6/25/08 MSG II New York, NY
    9/02/2012 Made in America Philly, PA
    10/21/13 Wells Fargo Center I GA Philly, PA
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center II GA Philly, PA
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772

DITTO

And so continues the psychos who follow this band... Or, hopefully, "followed" this band.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
    jason wrote:

And this is also absolutely true around here.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    As long as he's still friends with Silent Bob, he's ok with me!
    :lol::lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    this is awesome... Jay is the fuckin man....

sick of all the pussies around here... you'll find anything to bitch about... all your uptight fucking opinions...
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
This discussion has been closed.