2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Thanks again everybody!
    So I made the leap and published my short story/poems collection on Kindle. however, they have you preview it, and it all looked fine... until I checked it on my I-phone. The formatting got screwed up along the way, so I will re-upload it soon, then I'll share the link if anyone's interested.

Hedo -- "Odd man?" You dont say? :lol: I'll take it.. thanks! Actually, if some of you get my sense of humor, this collection will surely light a fire and (I think) have you laughing. I liked your mention of having the page ready to turn.. this sounds silly, but when I read something on my phone, I didnt like not having the next page in my fingers, ready to go. So I get it.

BrianL, I get what you're saying too buddy.. And trust me, this kills me having to e-publish. But I cant get agents to look at my stuff, so it might be my only route. Getting a real agent is a very tough avenue. I queried 27 agents in 3 months, and most of them sent back automated responses that they get hundreds of submissions a day and might not get to it.

Coincidentally, I just saw that the only Barnes & Noble near me, in City Place, is closing down soon. And I dont know of Mom and Pop places in my area. It sucks. :cry:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    Thanks again everybody!
    So I made the leap and published my short story/poems collection on Kindle. however, they have you preview it, and it all looked fine... until I checked it on my I-phone. The formatting got screwed up along the way, so I will re-upload it soon, then I'll share the link if anyone's interested.

Hedo -- "Odd man?" You dont say? :lol: I'll take it.. thanks! Actually, if some of you get my sense of humor, this collection will surely light a fire and (I think) have you laughing. I liked your mention of having the page ready to turn.. this sounds silly, but when I read something on my phone, I didnt like not having the next page in my fingers, ready to go. So I get it.

BrianL, I get what you're saying too buddy.. And trust me, this kills me having to e-publish. But I cant get agents to look at my stuff, so it might be my only route. Getting a real agent is a very tough avenue. I queried 27 agents in 3 months, and most of them sent back automated responses that they get hundreds of submissions a day and might not get to it.

Coincidentally, I just saw that the only Barnes & Noble near me, in City Place, is closing down soon. And I dont know of Mom and Pop places in my area. It sucks. :cry:

Will book stores sell self published books?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Thanks again everybody!

Will book stores sell self published books?

I do believe there is a way to have them put in book stores, but I think it costs money and I dont know how it works yet. I will be looking that up soon and let you know if I find out anything. I saw a link to expanded distribution channels somewhere on kindle publishing.. I'll have to dig around though...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I've never read an ebook. My wife has a nook and seems to like it but now she's reading a real book.

I'd like to know when we'll get a download code with a book to transfer it to a reader just like with cds and dvds.

Good luck.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I have a Kindle Fire that i use.
    Usually 7.99 to 12.99 depending on when they books came out. I like the e reader format a lot becuase you can get deals that are cheaper on books and i'm more likely to buy cheaper ones i'm not as sure about. The 8-13 dollar books are usually established authors want to check out.

I think i do prefer phyisical copies because i like feeling how much more i have to read BUT i trade that for the ease of use and purchasing the Kindle offers. More spontanous impulse buys and it is great to have the books easier to carry. My kindle is my travel partner. It has books games and internet access so i lean towards it.

I read fantasy and sci fi mostly

I think 99Cents is a good intro price. I'd be more apt to do impulse buy on that than say 2.99 for something i know nothing about.

Best of luck to you. I hope it works out great no matter what you choose

EDIT- oops sorry saw you already published it. Good for you!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I think e-books are easier to use by far, but I get all my books from the library and that e-book process isn't so smooth or universal. Therefore, I read regular books much more often.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Don't use any electronic devices for my reading (except at work), still love reading actual books and the newspaper.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input. like I said, I find this evolution fascinating and a tad frustrating.
    By the way, I have a makeshift bookshelf in my car because I like a variety of stuff available for my lunch break. :P

Anyways, another update too.. I've actually just finalized the published book on amazon kindle and in paperback. I was just waiting for the preview/formatting to get fixed. I will post some links soon, so that you can all check it out and see some of the disgusting stuff I wrote about. Just warning you, I'm a pig. But I tried to be an entertaining pig to some degree. ;)
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Thanks for all your input. like I said, I find this evolution fascinating and a tad frustrating.
    By the way, I have a makeshift bookshelf in my car because I like a variety of stuff available for my lunch break. :P

Anyways, another update too.. I've actually just finalized the published book on amazon kindle and in paperback. I was just waiting for the preview/formatting to get fixed. I will post some links soon, so that you can all check it out and see some of the disgusting stuff I wrote about. Just warning you, I'm a pig. But I tried to be an entertaining pig to some degree. ;)

I can't wait for the link.

You're really a pig?
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:

I can't wait for the link.

You're really a pig?

:mrgreen: Thanks!

Yeah, well, I went through some rough times a few years ago and my own strange view on the shit happening around me was seemingly comical (to me) but a lot of it is about drinking and sex (or lack thereof) :lol:

Then again, who doesnt like at least one of those things, drinking and sex?
  • Options
    Will you be releasing this as a physical book?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I'm a huge reader. Got a Nook for my birthday almost a year ago.....haven't used it yet. There's just something about a physical book, especially hardcover.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I'm a huge reader. Got a Nook for my birthday almost a year ago.....haven't used it yet. There's just something about a physical book, especially hardcover.

nook. ;)
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    And Congrats JP!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:

Yeah, if you click the link in my sig, it takes you to amazon, and it offers the E-book for .99 kindle, or $4.99 paperback. I'd suggest reading some of the excerpts first though, as its not for everyone. Its not really as much about poetry as it is humor, drinking, stupid decisions, and simply making fun of myself. I didint want to price it at 4.99 because its only 80+ pages, and some are short.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    And Congrats JP!

Thanks Mamasan! I gotta find a way to get these on nook too!
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Bump...
    I'm going for the book. !!!!
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:

Yeah, if you click the link in my sig, it takes you to amazon, and it offers the E-book for .99 kindle, or $4.99 paperback. I'd suggest reading some of the excerpts first though, as its not for everyone. Its not really as much about poetry as it is humor, drinking, stupid decisions, and simply making fun of myself. I didint want to price it at 4.99 because its only 80+ pages, and some are short.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    And Congrats JP!

Thanks Mamasan! I gotta find a way to get these on nook too!
    Very cool - thanks JP!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Debating getting a Kindle. Always have prefered books, but I think it would be nice for traveling. Anyone have one and like them?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Debating getting a Kindle. Always have prefered books, but I think it would be nice for traveling. Anyone have one and like them?

I don't have one, but a few people I know (both my mom and dad) were the last people I would ever imagine using a kindle... They both really like them. I have an app on my phone and I can see how having several books handy for traveling would e beneficial.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Jason P wrote:

I don't have one, but a few people I know (both my mom and dad) were the last people I would ever imagine using a kindle... They both really like them. I have an app on my phone and I can see how having several books handy for traveling would e beneficial.
    Crazy thing is that when I looked up the Kindle, your book was listed under recommendations for e-books :shock:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Jason P wrote:

Don't listen to book sellers- they'll all talk hate about Kindles. :lol:

Actually, that's not true. I do know a fellow bookseller who gets red in the face and has fits at even the mention of the name "Kindle", but I also know a woman who had a bookstore for several years and is now retired and travels a fair amount and really appreciates having a Kindle for travel. She swears by it.

Personally, I love a book that looks, feels and smells good and opens up new worlds to be (especially one that can be signed by an author/friend like, say, JonnyPistachio!) and I prefer to pack some books along when I go places but I can see why some would like the convenience of e-readers. So I hope you find what you're looking for that way, Jason P.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I didn't like the thought of reading a book on a Kindle before I owned one. My wife bought me a Kindle for my birthday last year loaded with a few books that I said I was interested in. I enjoy it now. You can change the size of the font, color of the pages, and have only the letters illuminated for night reading. I also like how it subs as a tablet with apps, internet, and music. Very versatile. I still read regular books from time to time but really do enjoy the Kindle.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Reading for a long time on any sort of screen gives me a headache. It also takes away from that disappearing into another world experience for me. Nothing beats a real book and I'll keep buying them and moving them much to the dismay of my family and friends...between the books and the plants they are threatening to not help if I ever move again.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.