Options

No Assault Weapons Ban

2»

Comments

• Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    JimmyV wrote:

And they would have been horrified by the types of weapons that are readily available to the modern American. Horrified.

I think that what you think about what they think is ... wait where am I
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    mcgavinjmcgavinj Idaho Falls, ID, USA Posts: 311
    Ok. Ok, ok....

We are all friends :). I'm so so glad I'm not in charge and making decisions that affect all Americans. We all have varying opinions and points of view. What one sees as being progressive another sees as regressive. A big part of what makes the US great is also one of our biggest challenges: diversity in its people and ideas on every level.

Love you all
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,883
    mcgavinj wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    mcgavinj wrote:
    I'm gonna get hung in town square for this......

If you don't want to live, uphold and protect the Constitution of The United States of America.....
    There may be other countries willing to review your petition for citizenship.

I'm not going to hang you anywhere. Just curious, based on one of your earlier posts, what changes to the constitution you view as being negatives.

I tried to correct my statement in saying not necessarily changes already made ...but the more changes that are made the easier it will be to continue changing it. Where do we stop? Free speech? Term limits?

Ah, I see.

But there was a time when someone could have said, "Where do we stop? Blacks voting? Women?" I know you aren't saying that but the times changed and so did the law of the land. The 2nd amendment was written at a time when weapons like these were unimaginable. The times have changed again.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    NRA are lucky they got in Harry Reid's back pocket years ago.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    NRA are lucky they got in Harry Reid's back pocket years ago.

Yep.

• Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Speaking of the constitution... It's a document that's how old? Written 225 years ago? And we still follow it word for word? Is this sane? The number of people screaming that we must live according to a document over 200 years old doesn't sound a bit insane to some of you? Anyone? What would our forefathers have thought? Has anyone else ever wondered this???
    the constitution is new compared to the bible, which was written almost 2000 years ago and people still follow that and take it literally. hell, there is a 10 hour miniseries on the bible on the history channel. yes, HISTORY channel :fp:

i think the forefathers would be embarrassed by, and in some cases aghast, at the federal government today.

+1

as far as the assault weapons go.....good. having that in there was a sure way to shoot down the stuff(pun intended) that really needed to get passed like background checks and tougher penalties for straw purchases and what not.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options

as far as the assault weapons go.....good. having that in there was a sure way to shoot down the stuff(pun intended) that really needed to get passed like background checks and tougher penalties for straw purchases and what not.

Good point here. Lets hope this allows something to get passed.

• Options
    81 wrote:
    seems they finally came to their senses.

nice to see the political process work.

The political process you speak of is a sham and one that no American should be proud of. It's a game played by the wealthy and powerful: backdoor deals, greasing palms, back scratching and blackmailing to serve interest groups and their fortunes. Gun lobbyists have proven to be excellent in this department.

You got your guns... you deserve them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

The political process you speak of is a sham and one that no American should be proud of. It's a game played by the wealthy and powerful: backdoor deals, greasing palms, back scratching and blackmailing to serve interest groups and their fortunes. Gun lobbyists have proven to be excellent in this department.

no denying that many politians are less the honest....fuck, i live in IL...home of the imprisoned governer...

however...if people trulely wanted to rid the US of these guns, they would....but they don't...and i'm ok with that.

i'd much rather they focus on back ground checks, and reducing the blackmarket sales. hell....maybe even put a 1K tax on the initial sale of the gun....but then people would scream the rich are out to get the poor.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

no denying that many politians are less the honest....fuck, i live in IL...home of the imprisoned governer...

however...if people trulely wanted to rid the US of these guns, they would....but they don't...and i'm ok with that.

i'd much rather they focus on back ground checks, and reducing the blackmarket sales. hell....maybe even put a 1K tax on the initial sale of the gun....but then people would scream the rich are out to get the poor.
    truth be told, this bill was in the senate. and it would have been fillibustered by the republicans of course, so it would never even be brought to a vote. better to pass something, because the whole bill would have been blocked.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mcgavinj wrote:
    I'm gonna get hung in town square for this......

If you don't want to live, uphold and protect the Constitution of The United States of America.....
    There may be other countries willing to review your petition for citizenship.
    ahh the old 2003 sentiment of "if you don't like it, you can get out!!"

it is my country too. it is my belief that the constitution could use an upgrade. are you saying i should leave for being a progressive?

That's what he's saying.

Remember all the 'tough talk' by the gun owners who were saying, "From my cold, dead hands"? Now some of them are saying, "Uphold the constitution or get out!"

Pure and simple narcissism.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Well... as much as I wish for an outright ban of assault weapons, rich taxes on guns at the point of sale, thorough background checks, a re-licensing model, and hefty taxes on ammunition sales would probably be a few wise things.

The taxes on the weapons could fund the licensing department: costing no more to the average joe who might not even possess a weapon. In essence... such taxes would serve as a user fee.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Short attention spans are the American way.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    81 wrote:
    They polled less than 1,200 people out of over 315 million.

Support may indeed be down for all I know, but basing that on ... *grabs calculator*... .000004% of the population?

Part of why I put no stock in polls.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    81 wrote:

Support may indeed be down for all I know, but basing that on ... *grabs calculator*... .000004% of the population?

those polls seem to do a pretty good job of predicting presidents.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    81 wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    81 wrote:

And they seem to do a pretty shitty job in most other realms.

You can have 'em!
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    81 wrote:

Not at FOX. :lol:

• Options
    Another method to check where your congressional delegation stands on gun control.

http://thedailybeast.thisisyourreponguns.com/