Smashing Pumpkins!

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:
    My first SP show was Reading Festival 95, just before Mellon Collie was released. They opened with Jellybelly into Zero, which was pretty ballsy at a festival when hardly anyone had heard them (no online leaks in 95!) I think about half the set was made up of Mellon Collie songs, but the crowd went nuts for most of it. It’s probably my favourite SP show of the 4 I’ve seen
    That was mine too, I loved the fact that my parents let me go when I was 14!  The whole lineup that years was crazy, the only disappointment was Eddie not turning up with Neil Young and the rest of Pearl Jam.

damn, I really miss the 90s!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    My first SP show was Reading Festival 95, just before Mellon Collie was released. They opened with Jellybelly into Zero, which was pretty ballsy at a festival when hardly anyone had heard them (no online leaks in 95!) I think about half the set was made up of Mellon Collie songs, but the crowd went nuts for most of it. It’s probably my favourite SP show of the 4 I’ve seen
    That was mine too, I loved the fact that my parents let me go when I was 14!  The whole lineup that years was crazy, the only disappointment was Eddie not turning up with Neil Young and the rest of Pearl Jam.

I'll never get tired of posting this insane line up. So many bands at their peak, and where else could you see Smashing Pumpkins, first-tour Foo Fighters, and NeilJam headlining stages?

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    edited February 2018
    I read the book by the guy who used to own Brixton Academy - apparently, the reason the line up was so good that year is that he was going to put on a rival festival to Reading in 1994 called In Bloom festival, to be held at Highland's Park in Chelmsford, headlined by, you guessed it, Nirvana.  When Kurt died, the festival plans fell through, but the rest of the bands were all signed on, so the Reading organisers swooped in and snatched them all up for the following year.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:

I'll never get tired of posting this insane line up. So many bands at their peak, and where else could you see Smashing Pumpkins, first-tour Foo Fighters, and NeilJam headlining stages?

I read the book by the guy who used to own Brixton Academy - apparently, the reason the line up was so good that year is that he was going to put on a rival festival to Reading in 1994 called In Bloom festival, to be held at Highland's Park in Chelmsford, headlined by, you guessed it, Nirvana.  When Kurt died, the festival plans fell through, but the rest of the bands were all signed on, so the Reading organisers swooped in and snatched them all up for the following year.

That lineup is unbelievable. all you lucky UK bastards!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Corey GCorey G Tacompton, WA Posts: 37
    I got to see them in Iowa City, IA in 1993.  Siamese Dreams tour in a small bar.  Insane show
    Saw this same tour in Seattle at a small club called DV8. Stood in line to get in the show with Ed and Jeff. A friend and I were talking to Jeff about when their second album was gonna come out. Cool ass dude...

Siamese Dream is one of my fave albums of all time. Would be awesome if they did an anniversary tour! 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Damn that reading 95 line up is stellar. 

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Dumb question but will Jeff Schroeder be playing bass?i know he took Jame’s place on guitar; but will he play bass on the tour as I see no mention of Melissa or D’arcy for bass ( I read Billy and D’arcy are cool with each other again).

Thanks all.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    red mos said:
    Dumb question but will Jeff Schroeder be playing bass?i know he took Jame’s place on guitar; but will he play bass on the tour as I see no mention of Melissa or D’arcy for bass ( I read Billy and D’arcy are cool with each other again).

Thanks all.
    Yep. Jeff instead of D’arcy. 
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    I’ve seen them twice and was underwhelmed both times. The more I’ve been reading about this reunion, the more I think Billy is one of the biggest asshats and most unlikeable hunans on the planet.  I have friends who want to go, so I may go. But, my expectations are low to say the least 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    His last text about her deserving to be on a t-shirt, but if not the kids will happily buy other things definitely turned me off 

I'll be passing on the tour, Billy reeks of desperation to cash in as a headliner
    Peter Hooks son will be playing Bass. They are going for the triple guitar attack.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I saw them twice back in the day.  Once at a Lollapalooza '94 in support of Siamese Dream, and once in early '97 in support of Mellon Collie.  Both were amazing shows, and its hard to believe the 2nd one.   Mellon Collie at the height of their popularity selling out arenas, and the whole crowd rocking the fuck out.

I was pretty stoked about this reunion at first.  I loved the pumpkins and we don't have that many of the big 90s bands left. 

Without D'Arcy, it feels like a continuation of where they left off before Billy went Axl.   They weren't that great anymore at the end of their initial run.   Adore was ok, and then they faded away after that.   I was pretty stoked, now I'm kind of meh about it.

I'm completely surprised that it's an Arena tour.  It seemed like Pumpkins and replacements had been relegated to theatre's and other small venues.   Other than Maybe Chicago/New York/L.A that have massive populations to support it.   Can they really sell out arenas?  Even when I was super stoked about the reunion, most other people didn't care.
  • Yeah I question if they can really sell out arenas, I guess we will see.  

I think Billy Corgan has spent a lot of time being his own worst enemy - I've no doubt he can still write within that winning formula, he's spent much of the last 18 years or so trying to prove otherwise, but there's usually at least one song amongst all the tuneless experimentation that proves he can still write those super melodic tunes.  Stand Inside Your Love, Untitled, Tarantula etc, all have that original Pumpkins magic.
    Yeah, he always trips on his own ego. Had he not run his mouth about former bandmates, other bands and reunions, I think there would be a whole lot more excitement. I think most of these shows are gonna have $20 tickets the day of. I'm not even gonna look at tickets until the day before. 

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Corey G said:
    I got to see them in Iowa City, IA in 1993.  Siamese Dreams tour in a small bar.  Insane show
    Saw this same tour in Seattle at a small club called DV8. Stood in line to get in the show with Ed and Jeff. A friend and I were talking to Jeff about when their second album was gonna come out. Cool ass dude...

Siamese Dream is one of my fave albums of all time. Would be awesome if they did an anniversary tour! 
    Msg can they sell it out ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • No 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    edited February 2018
    Corey G said:

Msg can they sell it out ? 
    wouldn't that be one of the more likely ones to sell out.  MSG is an arena, and the new york area has a really big population.   The test would be in the arena's that aren't in mega cities?
    Post edited by Zod on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    turrible.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Good call and thanks to those that questioned if they can sell out an arena or not.  That made me feel a ton better- can’t say I really need tickets, but I may go old school on this one and stop by the box office here in town and pick up a few tickets when they go on sale- no need to go online though, I too don’t think they’re that big of a deal these days and the arena will be only 2/3 full.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    edited February 2018
    The thing to know about Billy Corgan is that he is a silly ninny.

He fired a former Pumpkins' manager, only to have that manager's replacement quit shortly thereafter (her quoted reason was because Billy Corgan made her sick).

He broke up the Pumpkins, saying that he had taken pop music as far as he possibly could, and that the Pumpkins were no longer interesting to him. At one point he insulted James Iha, and called bassist D'arcy a "mean-spirited drug addict." A few years later, he paid for a full page ad in the Chicago Tribune and Sun Times, pleading for his band back (Iha and D'arcy flatly refused to come back and work with him at the time).

Aside from an uninteresting solo album, Billy also formed the band Zwan in his Pumpkins off time. After Zwan broke up, he went out of his way to insult his former Zwan bandmates, calling them "filthy", "opportunistic", "selfish" and "posers".

Billy also spent some of his humbling Pumpkins off-time appearing at professional wrestling matches. His appearances had little to do with music. In the ECW, Billy broke a guitar over someone's head.

Then of course, there was the William Corgan phase... is he still doing that? The Pumpkins redux, unsuccessful albums, the appearances on InfoWars, the WTF Swine flu theory, the insults toward many of his peers, and now... William once again finds himself at odds with a former bandmate.

I'm happy for everyone who is excited about the new shows. I'm not trying to criticize the tour, or revisiting old albums, or his art... all of that is subjective. Regardless, this guy is a clown. 

Post edited by 3days on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited February 2018
    I think Billy is a megalomaniac.  Siamese Dream is a classic album.  And I will just leave it at that. 
    Damn. Tix are as high as $130 before fees! Anybody heard of a presale happening? So far I’ve found that their only doing a general sale this Friday. Maybe someone else has heard different? 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Haven't seen anything about presales.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Corey G said:
    Damn. Tix are as high as $130 before fees! Anybody heard of a presale happening? So far I’ve found that their only doing a general sale this Friday. Maybe someone else has heard different? 
    Haven’t seen any presale info either.  I honestly believe Billy is overestimating these venues.  I plan on picking up StubHub tix day of show.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I'm torn on whether to buy or tomorrow or not.  2 tix for like $340...ouch.  I think Zwan was like $25 a ticket and don't remember what I paid for SP when I saw them a couple of times in the past but I don't think it was a lot.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Not much of an urge to go especially since they're playing Chicago on a Monday night and it's the week before the 2 PJ shows at Wrigley.  I'll probably skip it.
    Corey G said:
    Haven’t seen any presale info either.  I honestly believe Billy is overestimating these venues.  I plan on picking up StubHub tix day of show.
    My friend and I were talking about the same thing. We decided to do the same. Let the scalper fucks buy up all the tix and then get some closer to the show when they’re scrambling to get rid of them. I have a good feeling it’s gonna happen that way...

Red Lukin said:
    I'm torn on whether to buy or tomorrow or not.  2 tix for like $340...ouch.  I think Zwan was like $25 a ticket and don't remember what I paid for SP when I saw them a couple of times in the past but I don't think it was a lot.
    Last time I saw them, tix were $20! Lol. That was at a club show in like 1993 though! 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Wtf, I wouldn’t pay $100 for a ticket to SP, aka Billy Corgan’s Slaves.  I’m definitely waiting until a week before the show and then watching craigslist/ticketbrokers and getting them cheap
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Not much of an urge to go especially since they're playing Chicago on a Monday night and it's the week before the 2 PJ shows at Wrigley.  I'll probably skip it.
    That's my issue.  Plus I would be driving 3 hours.  I would basically have to take 2 days off.