The Turn Out!!!!

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    It will be one of the greatest experiences of your whole life!
    Just take your time with them.. And the rest will come.
    I suggest taking a large animal husbandry class. It's very
    informative, and they teach you what to expect, what all is required
    In your state. You'll learn the shots they need, grooming, feeding ,
    Vet care needed, handling, a d you'll get some good hands on
    experience. You can usually find these classes through your
    local ASPCA. Also, I recommend riding lessons. At least 10 or so..
    It will help you get over your fears, and teach you how to approach
    The entire riding experience. Let me know how things go.. :D
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,278
    So no Mandals for horseback riding or are they ok ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    So no Mandals for horseback riding or are they ok ....
    Wouldn't recommend it... Unless you like bruising the inner
    Arch of your foot. Most stirrups are made of wood wrapped with
    Metal. Not comfy on bare skin at ALLL!!
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    oh, just have to chime in.

I got a Tenn Walker/Quarter horse. My neice got him when he was 5, green-broke, kept him for a few years. I bought him when her parents grew tired of paying for a horse she didn't really give much attention to.

they are ALOT of work. having one and all that goes with it , is just something I'm very glad I don't have to live without.

Fell in-love with them as a child then the fam got me one when I proved myself to be able to care for one.

He was a dapple grey, 3/4 arabian, 1/4 welsh pony, he was a lovely stinker! I get teary-eyed just thinking of him even 30 yrs later.

it's got to be pretty close to surfing. putting your body on nature and going for a ride!

I'll try to get a picture up.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
    This is my very favorite breed ever!
    The Dutch Friesian ..
    820993CC-0E38-407B-9E55-B28913CA3661-696-00000076F7CF476B.jpg
    amethgr8 wrote:
    oh, just have to chime in.

I got a Tenn Walker/Quarter horse. My neice got him when he was 5, green-broke, kept him for a few years. I bought him when her parents grew tired of paying for a horse she didn't really give much attention to.

they are ALOT of work. having one and all that goes with it , is just something I'm very glad I don't have to live without.

Fell in-love with them as a child then the fam got me one when I proved myself to be able to care for one.

He was a dapple grey, 3/4 arabian, 1/4 welsh pony, he was a lovely stinker! I get teary-eyed just thinking of him even 30 yrs later.

it's got to be pretty close to surfing. putting your body on nature and going for a ride!

I'll try to get a picture up.

amy
    Can't wait to see the pics Amy!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    This is my very favorite breed ever!
    The Dutch Friesian ..
    820993CC-0E38-407B-9E55-B28913CA3661-696-00000076F7CF476B.jpg
    I love those horses! They are so beautiful!

In Holland, Michigan there is a park called Windmill Farm. It used to be a working farm. They have a pair of Friesian horses. (I fed them some pieces of licorice.)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    I have friend here in NW IN and she goes to a barn in MI works/shows a fresian not sure if he's dutch or not but surely beautiful!!

horse0720125.jpg

here he is with his mascot. we have 2 pony's and 2 horses, mine and my aunts. shes a "sport" pony, just a half a hand under the horse heigth.

horse0720127.jpg

I braided his mane so it will all be on one side, part of it always flopped over. like an indian horse with the braids. had a weight issue for awhile after I got him, some poor dusty hay and a bout with heaves but he's getting back to riding and playing state.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    this is from 07, all of them.

horses610078.jpg
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    amethgr8 wrote:
    I have friend here in NW IN and she goes to a barn in MI works/shows a fresian not sure if he's dutch or not but surely beautiful!!

horse0720125.jpg

here he is with his mascot. we have 2 pony's and 2 horses, mine and my aunts. shes a "sport" pony, just a half a hand under the horse heigth.

horse0720127.jpg

I braided his mane so it will all be on one side, part of it always flopped over. like an indian horse with the braids. had a weight issue for awhile after I got him, some poor dusty hay and a bout with heaves but he's getting back to riding and playing state.

amy
    OMG Amy!! His markings are DIVINE!! What a lucky lady!! And they all look so
    happy and healthy! Kudos!
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    Also!! Don't wear tennis shoes if at all possible! You don't have to go but any
    Dumbass cowboy boots, but you do want something with a heel to it.
    Hiking boot, construction boot.. Really nothing over a one inch heel
    Is NEEDED unless you're riding to work. Have fun and good luck!!

I have hiking boots, but i'm curious,is this a Stir-up thing?
    Damned straight!! Trust me, cause I've had this happen, you do NOT want
    your foot caught up in the stir-ups!! If you have to bail, and your foot
    gets caught, it's not going to be fun to be you!! Your feet should sit in the
    Stir-up as so. The back end of the balls of your feet should be what sits on
    the bridge if the Stir-up bell. (Most riding instructors won't teach you Ox-Bow
    until you're through with learning to ride entered, so you shouldn't have to
    worry about that! ) keep your heels down ( nothing extreme, just enough so that
    Your weight is in the stir-up and not so much in the saddle), and toes forward,
    Don't let yours heels or ankle "sink" or allow your toes to swing out.. This throws
    You off balance, and given the right movement can
    snap your ankle.. They teach you all this..
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Close-Ca ... 1908.shtml Watch from 7:30 on. :lol::lol:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    Whole different thing.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    The pictures here so beautiful.... magnificent creatures!
    Near our present home there is a horse pasture/boarder. They are refurbishing the whole place.
    It is on a country type road of 45 mph. The other day we were driving and a young man
    was really going on the most lovely horse. Our car kept with him and seeing him run
    was just breathtaking.

A class in care etc is a very good idea, thanks. I'm afraid my riding days are over
    because of a back injury though. I was always given the docile horse when we went horseback riding in my younger days... the ones that turn back around and go back to the barn :lol:
    it was ok I always felt like I was imposing somehow riding them, maybe they sensed that,
    I just wanted to talk anyways. :D
    out to clean the stall this morning. also the middle of the barn b/c we are getting 8 giant bales of hay in on monday. chilly today, 40ish, come home around noon.
    OMG Amy!! His markings are DIVINE!! What a lucky lady!! And they all look so
    happy and healthy! Kudos!

thanks, he's a great horse. he doesn't like to get started working but when we are done, I know he had a good time working with me.

our little guy now, is a bit ill. the paint is 17 and the black ponies are around 19 and arthitic, obviously in the winter a bit worser for the wear due to not moving around much. also, this crazy weather has him shedding, and the wet, well I need to keep working on his coat. his hair comes out in tuffs when he sheds and it's 3 inchs long. some kind of goat-mountain pony built for the tundra. jeez.

what are you doing with your horse today? so glad I have the day off of work, mostly.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    If I hada horse I'd be out on the trails .. It's a nice day!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I said this in another thread but you may have missed it. I hope I'm going to visit Colorado Springs this summer and I want to go riding in the Garden of the Gods. Want to go? :)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    I said this in another thread but you may have missed it. I hope I'm going to visit Colorado Springs this summer and I want to go riding in the Garden of the Gods. Want to go? :)
    Oh that would be awesome!! I love riding there!! And it's really close to me!!
    Just hope you're not out here when I'm in Chicago!
    Check out this Knabstrub (sp?). His markings... Normal!
    His color??? One in 172,000 come out this Buckskin shade!
    A4B1BF71-2CE5-4315-9DBD-6ACEFE1B2B63-438-000000D4635090F9.jpg
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,770
    whispering hands...So I have been mulling this over. My daughter (13) took horseback riding lessons for about a year. She loved it more than anything she ever tried. She gained confidence and really progressed through the levels quickly. She needed (and still does) this boost of confidence and stress relief. The problem is she got tossed twice. The second time was a bad fall. Thank God she wasn't seriously injured. After that session ended she told me she wanted to take a break. She confessed that she is scared of falling and getting really hurt. She is a very intuitive kid so I tend to trust her instincts. I told her that I would support her decision but she can go back anytime. She doesn't want to go back and is still scared. I think if I encouraged her and pointed out all the positives she would be more likely to tackle her fear. However I am scared too. The second fall could have been really bad. She landed in her head which we know bc there was grass and dirt imbedded in the top of her helmet. I also have worked professionally with people severely injured horse back riding (spinal cord injuries). So do I encourage her? I don't want to put my fears into her. Do I encourage her to follow her intuition? She was really good. She looked beautiful on that horse. She's very petite but strong and was so confident up there. What do you think?
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
    whispering hands...So I have been mulling this over. My daughter (13) took horseback riding lessons for about a year. She loved it more than anything she ever tried. She gained confidence and really progressed through the levels quickly. She needed (and still does) this boost of confidence and stress relief. The problem is she got tossed twice. The second time was a bad fall. Thank God she wasn't seriously injured. After that session ended she told me she wanted to take a break. She confessed that she is scared of falling and getting really hurt. She is a very intuitive kid so I tend to trust her instincts. I told her that I would support her decision but she can go back anytime. She doesn't want to go back and is still scared. I think if I encouraged her and pointed out all the positives she would be more likely to tackle her fear. However I am scared too. The second fall could have been really bad. She landed in her head which we know bc there was grass and dirt imbedded in the top of her helmet. I also have worked professionally with people severely injured horse back riding (spinal cord injuries). So do I encourage her? I don't want to put my fears into her. Do I encourage her to follow her intuition? She was really good. She looked beautiful on that horse. She's very petite but strong and was so confident up there. What do you think?
    I think that reintroducing her to horses from the ground could
    Be a HUGE bolster to her want to ride!! And Commendations that she
    Was wearing a helmet!!! See if maybe she'd want to volunteer at the facility,
    Helping to groom, feed or water the horses. Was there a favorite horse for her?
    A lot of times, once you rekindle that closeness with a horse, that intense
    need to be part of their world fires right back up. See as we'll if the riding instructor
    wouldn't mind her assisting some newbies with seat, control, and overall
    "New rider issues". Sometimes being a part of the process from a distance
    can help her gain some confidence back. I always make the rider, if they check
    Out ok, ateast just get back up on the horse. Then after they've sat there a minute I
    will lead the horse around the arena a few times... Then I allow them to dismount.
    As with anything in life, if it ends in a positive note, you tend to be more apt to try it again.
    Memory right now is your worst enemy! Cause what she remembers is getting thrown, not all
    the fun she had prior. Don't lose your parental fears, but don't let them
    shadow her either... Tell her how good at it you thought she
    Was, what a natural you thought she was, and see if she might want to go
    At least visit and give a treat to her favorite horse.. See where it goes from there.
    Keep me posted and good luck! P.S. not that it's too important, but what
    Style was she studying? If she was starting English, see if she wouldn't mind trying
    Western, it's much more relaxed, and most people feel best starting out there.
    Personally I enjoy both styles! Happy trails I hope!
    A bump for shetellsherself to get her answer.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    I rode equestrian for some time when I was young - I took lessons with Laura Tidball actually. I wasn't very talented! :lol: But I did love it. I haven't ridden in a number of years, but each time I do it all comes right back. They can be scary though. Don't blame others for being scared of them. I've been hurt loads of times riding a horse, including a very badly broken arm and other nasty falls. And I've been bitten. I find it hard to enjoy trail rides because most of them are more just walking in a line. So boring. I did find one place that let you do your own thing, but then my horse ran into quicksand on the beach and we barely made it out. I'm scared to ride on beaches now!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yeah... I know what you mean PJ_Soul.20tears after the accident that ended my professional
    Riding/ Training career, I still get nervous when we have to traverse hills! But I swallow the irrational part
    of the fear, and let the horse I'm on do his/her thing.
    I've gotten stuck in quicksand too!! That's some scary shit!!! Especially
    Because the horse doesn't know to remain calm! A little healthy fear is good
    around a horse. It keeps you alive. Just don't let it get the best if you is all.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I knew I'd get one. Ive been working today and needed more time to write this out....She was learning English style. I don't think I've seen any western style stables here but would definitely go with that if it were an option. At least there's something to hold onto! I'll look into that. I think it is a fantastic idea to reintroduce her to riding and test her out by involving her in the grooming/ care of the horses. I honestly don't know why that didn't occur to me. I will talk to her instructor. I know that they (instructors) were disappointed when she quit so they will likely work with her to see if she wants to continue. Also I forgot to mention that it was the same horse that threw her twice. Maybe he sensed her fear? Maybe she was so scared they she wouldn't be able to control him that she just bailed at the slightest indication of him wanting to go his own way? She was on the trails and had to take convince him to stay on the trail and he is known to have somewhat a mind of his own. Anyway thanks for your thoughts. I will discuss this with her when the mood is right. Now the trick is finding that seemingly rarer and rarer good mood (recall she's 13 :roll:)
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I knew I'd get one. Ive been working today and needed more time to write this out....She was learning English style. I don't think I've seen any western style stables here but would definitely go with that if it were an option. At least there's something to hold onto! I'll look into that. I think it is a fantastic idea to reintroduce her to riding and test her out by involving her in the grooming/ care of the horses. I honestly don't know why that didn't occur to me. I will talk to her instructor. I know that they (instructors) were disappointed when she quit so they will likely work with her to see if she wants to continue. Also I forgot to mention that it was the same horse that threw her twice. Maybe he sensed her fear? Maybe she was so scared they she wouldn't be able to control him that she just bailed at the slightest indication of him wanting to go his own way? She was on the trails and had to take convince him to stay on the trail and he is known to have somewhat a mind of his own. Anyway thanks for your thoughts. I will discuss this with her when the mood is right. Now the trick is finding that seemingly rarer and rarer good mood (recall she's 13 :roll:)
    Now that I know a bit more.. I can tell you more. But I'm at work right now.. Waiting for the Nurses to move
    My patient.. Will think in this and a answer when I get home ;-)
    Bumped to get your thoughts. :D
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
    Ok... Trail riding English is uniquely difficult due to
    a result known as amplified propulsion. This is caused by
    the spongey "shock"of your stirrup irons, on top
    of what most English Riders refer to as a light seat.
    A light seat requires you to sit a tiny bit further forward,
    With a straight back, so that you just just OVER the horse's
    Point of Withers. This makes for a smoother ride, but crappy
    balance if you aren't familiar with pivotal center. Pivotal
    Center is the ability to read the horse's movement, and adjust
    So that you are in line with the horse's center of Gravity at
    all times. This is called riding centered, and is applied to all
    styles if riding. I know for a fact this is a basic skill that is taught,
    However, there is a HUGE difference between practicing how to
    follow your pivotal center in an arena, and doing so on a trail...
    Add this to the amplified propulsion effect, and you can find
    your self unseated very quickly.. The anecdote for this,
    Is to find a deeper seat before attempting to regain full control.
    Lowering the heels, and sitting a litter further back on the pelvic
    Bone and tightening the INNER THIGH muscles, is your deep
    Seat. You never hold on with your knees or lower legs, because these
    Are necessary to communicate your commands to the horse. Once a
    is 'off seat', a more advanced horse tends to get nervous, because they're
    used to you holding a centered seat no matter what you do!

So... Given the many outside factors... If your daughter agrees to try again,
    Try a much more docile horse at first. Also try returning to the arena,
    Until she feels comfortable out on trails again.. But make sure that while
    she's in the arena, that the instructor can see immediately with
    Hesitation, or study that horse and rider, and absolutely in sync..
    This is obvious when the rider hardly needs to move in cue, a d the
    Horse has already responded. It literally looks like telepathy in action.
    But most importantly start out on a new horse. :-)
    I guess I should offer.. Horse peeps know all this lingo,
    And to what it refers.. But if ever you who DON'T know,
    but are curious.. Let me know. I can draw up diagraphs.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Horses certainly do come in all variety of temperament. I took care of three horses on a property for a week one time- mixed the feed, broke up the flakes of alfalfa, mucked the stalls, put eye drops in the eye of an aging mare. The youngest one was called Kid, the middle one Magic and the old girl was Maybe. Kid was ornery and very rebellious and bit my hands and arms enough to hurt like the devil. At least he left my fingers intact. Magic was aloof but easy going enough. Maybe was the epitome of sweetness and patience, especially with a greenhorn like myself. Overall, it was a good experience. I wish I had the time, energy, space and money for horses... but not another one like Kid! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    Horses certainly do come in all variety of temperament. I took care of three horses on a property for a week one time- mixed the feed, broke up the flakes of alfalfa, mucked the stalls, put eye drops in the eye of an aging mare. The youngest one was called Kid, the middle one Magic and the old girl was Maybe. Kid was ornery and very rebellious and bit my hands and arms enough to hurt like the devil. At least he left my fingers intact. Magic was aloof but easy going enough. Maybe was the epitome of sweetness and patience, especially with a greenhorn like myself. Overall, it was a good experience. I wish I had the time, energy, space and money for horses... but not another one like Kid! :lol:
    Lol Briankux!! I only laugh because of how right you are!! Did you know, that a horse has the ability
    To sheer a pound of flesh in less than second in a bite!! So what you were
    getting was nips. A true bite from a horse is irrecoverable. There's no growing
    It back. Their teeth are like scissors on the front eight. ( four top same bottom).
    But to experience that is a true gift.. So I'm guessing Kid was under 10? That is the age
    In which horses seem to "mature". Even though, reproductively speaking
    They are mature at anywhere from 2-4. Studs can reproduce at 2 and mates between3-4.