Options

13 year late...Almost Famous related

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    My favorite scene is the bus scene with everyone singing "Tiny Dancer"-it gets to me every time I watch the movie! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qn3tel9FWU

Enjoy :corn: :corn:
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    iisee wrote:
    JB128716 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Mike played guitar for the movie. In other words, those solos and a lot of guitar parts were Mike playing.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct

I am not so sure about this. I know Peter Frampton was a 'technical advisor' on this movie (which I also love) and gave Billy Crudup (the actor who plays the lead guitar player) some basic guitar lessons to ensure that his hands looked and moved right on the instrument. Frampton also appears as the Humble Pie manager in the 'manager poker game' scene where he wins the 'Band Aids' (groupies) for $50 and a case of beer. Thoses facts are for sure...

The song 'Fever Dog' guitar solo sounds a lot more like Frampton to me stylistically than it does Mr McCready. Just saying... 8-)

OK..this was bothering me so I went and checked IMDB for the actual facts. I was right that Frampton was the advisor, gave Billy Crupdup guitar lessons,etc. Frampton also wrote 'Fever Dog' and the other Sillwater songs in the movie. However....Mr Mike McCready did do some of the guitar tracks that you hear on Fever Dog...Frampton did some too! So everyone was right! 8-)
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    pjradio wrote:
    4rqqti.jpg

Nod to Robert Plant. Crowe a huge Zep fan..
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    pjradio wrote:
    4rqqti.jpg

yep... :thumbup:
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    one of my all time favorites.... I still got my video copy.....
    ctd
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    My favorite scene is the bus scene with everyone singing "Tiny Dancer"-it gets to me every time I watch the movie! :D

I have a post somewhere I this board telling everyone this was the best use of music in a film.

Some people tried to disagree with me. The nerve of them.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    4rqqti.jpg

I believe that Almost Famous was the first time that Led Zeppelin had licensed music for a movie

Enjoy :corn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZT9h0p-EFk
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    i love this movie. definitely one of my favorites ever. it was on tv late the other night and i got sucked in- made getting up for work the next morning more difficult, that's for sure.

pjradio wrote:
    anyone lucky enough to have the stillwater cd? (I have this one)
    24brvwh.jpg

this came with the "bootleg cut" dvd release, but was it ever released on its own?

or even better, the super-lmtd vinyl (i do not have this one)
    24npt95.jpg

there are two pressings of this, one from 2000 or so and then one from a few years back. i don't think there are significant differences but i could be wrong. i'm pretty sure that while the regular soundtrack songs are not mastered from analog tapes, the stillwater tracks are. i got extremely lucky and found a copy of the 2009 pressing online last year for $40. i don't think they can be had for that cheap very often.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    pjradio wrote:
    4rqqti.jpg

I believe that Almost Famous was the first time that Led Zeppelin had licensed music for a movie

I'm pretty sure there was a Zeppelin son in Fast Times at Richmond High.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Love the Stillwater CD! That bootleg edition is badass!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZT9h0p-EFk[/quote]

I'm pretty sure there was a Zeppelin son in Fast Times at Richmond High.[/quote]

You are correct...KasHmir I think?
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    iisee wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was a Zeppelin son in Fast Times at Richmond High.[/quote]

You are correct...KasHmir I think?[/quote]

I was wrong..it was kashmir
  • Options
    spryguy09spryguy09 Posts: 446
    JB128716 wrote:

I have a post somewhere I this board telling everyone this was the best use of music in a film.

Some people tried to disagree with me. The nerve of them.

Cameron Crowe always has amazing soundtracks in his films. A great, great director that never gets any recognition. He's great at evoking emotion without using words (when Kate Hudson finds out she was sold for a case of beer, she's silent but her expression is worth a thousand words, then asks what kind of beer, awesome). He creates famous one liners, "you had me had hello" and "show me the money" from Jerry Maguire. We Bought A Zoo was a great movie too.
    Toronto Sept 96. Barrie Aug 98. Toronto Oct 00. Toronto June 03. Hamilton Sept 05. Toronto May 06. Toronto Aug 09. Toronto Sept 11. London July 13. Toronto May 16 (I & II).
    Eddie solo. Aug 08 (Massey Hall II)
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    JB128716 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there was a Zeppelin son in Fast Times at Richmond High.

another Cameron Crowe story ;)
    he wrote the screenplay
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    pjradio wrote:
    anyone lucky enough to have the stillwater cd? (I have this one)
    24brvwh.jpg

I have the CD, but I think the vocals from the movie and the CD differ and I actually prefer the ones used in the movie.

But also here is this:
    from an Entertainment Weekly article: "If you find yourself enjoying
    a few songs by a phony band called Stillwater, don't be TOO
    embarrassed. The 1973 mustache collective featured in writer/ director
    Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous has a legitimate rock pedigree. Pearl
    Jam's Mike McCready is the real talent behind Russell Hammond, the
    band's charismatic lead guitarist (played by Billy Crudup), while ex
    Heart guitarist Nancy Wilson (Crowe's wife) plays rhythm guitar for
    the group. What's more, '70s vet Peter Frampton penned several of the
    Stillwater tunes heard in the movie, and Wilson and Crowe cowrote the
    band's bass driven anthem 'Feverdog,' which made the film's
    soundtrack." Also contributing to the Stillwater sound include Marti
    Frederiksen (Motherland) on vocals, John Bayless (The Lovemongers) on
    bass, and Ben Smith (also of The Lovemongers) on drums."
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    also if you look close, certain shots in the film were lifted directly from some classic rock album covers. cameron crowe did his homework.

for example when we see stillwater take the stage for the very first time when opening for black sabbath, cameron seemed to use neil young's "time fades away" album cover in tribute!

time-fades-away-almost-famous-film.jpg

Although i can't put my finger on ther others at this moment, i do remember seeing other album covers popping up to inspire shots in the movie

its just these little things that really make the movie awesome, and shows cameron crowe really is a music fan

:)
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    pjradio wrote:
    4rqqti.jpg

Nope. First time Zeppelin allowed a song of theirs on a soundtrack album.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    My favorite movie of all time. I started a thread a few years back for this great movie if anyone wants to join in on the fun.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=123675&hilit=+almost+famous
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options

Thanks! Great to see it again! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300
    Never seen this movie.
    you must.

it's a classic.

neither have i :oops:

:shock: you should watch it ;)
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    also if you look close, certain shots in the film were lifted directly from some classic rock album covers. cameron crowe did his homework.

for example when we see stillwater take the stage for the very first time when opening for black sabbath, cameron seemed to use neil young's "time fades away" album cover in tribute!

Although i can't put my finger on ther others at this moment, i do remember seeing other album covers popping up to inspire shots in the movie

its just these little things that really make the movie awesome, and shows cameron crowe really is a music fan

I know one of the Stillwater photos you see is essentially a mock-up of the Allmans' Live at the Fillmore album cover. Can't remember what else shows up.

One good Zeppelin story: Crowe had to screen the film for the band to get their approval of his song usage, and at the end of the film, when Russell Hammond (Crudup) denies that he'd ever said, "I am a golden god," supposedly Robert Plant piped up in the screening room, "Well, I bloody well did!" :lol:

Also, for musician trivia, both actors that played Ed and Larry were working musicians. I can't recall the pedigree of the guy who played Silent Ed Vallencourt, but Larry (the bass player) was played by Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters and Sun Kil Moon. I highly recommend his music under both band names, and solo. Kind of a downer most of the time, but good stuff.

I got the first pressing of the Untitled soundtrack vinyl, and it's fantastic. Three sides are taken up with the songs from the CD soundtrack (less "Fever Dog"), and the fourth side has the six Stillwater songs (which were also available on the CD that came with the Untitled DVD). I'm partial to the rocker "You Had to Be There," which, if I recall, is heard as a snippet in the Cleveland concert from the movie. The LP also had a Stillwater poster, which was more of a movie souvenir (it was the band and band-aids in front of the tour bus) than a simulated band memento.

I also heartily recommend the vinyl release of the Vanilla Sky soundtrack that Crowe put together. Excellent, eclectic mix of songs, and it was a beatiful package--a white-on-white sleeve instead of the regular film art, a strip of frames from the film, and quotes from the movie etched into the inner groove of each side. Really a classy piece.
  • Options
    Oooooo, Sun Kil Moon is excellent. Check out Great Lake Swimmers too if you like them.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Anyone looking to part with their vinyl copy of this soundtrack (for non-ebay prices)? If so please PM me.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271

The cover of Dark Side of the Moon flashes across the windscreen about 5 seconds into this scene
    http://youtu.be/KbnHRljobSA
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    When they go to New York, it's almost a shot-for-shot recreation of "The Song Remains the Same."
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    I have seen this movie a ton of times :? Its a classic. Evey time I see it I have to stop and watch. I love the bus part when they bust into a sing along to Tiny Dancer.

Great movie :thumbup:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Any one catch the part after the near plane crash on the front of the bus they put
    "No More Planes Tour" :lol:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    Great movie, maybe its been said but Kelly Curtis has a credit in the movie along with frampton as in special
    thanks for maybe he helped with the roadmanager part or something
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,992
    I haven't seen singles
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    Great movie, maybe its been said but Kelly Curtis has a credit in the movie along with frampton as in special
    thanks for maybe he helped with the roadmanager part or something
    He was close friends with Kelly, who was close friends with Nancy Wilson before Cameron and Nancy married.