day of show tickets

Comments

• Isoworld13Isoworld13 Posts: 221
    edited February 2013
    Chicago is a big city. There are almost 3 million people in the Chicago area alone. It's also centrally located in the heart of the US and can easily be gotten to from most of the US in less than 3 hours by plane (it is also less than a 24 hour drive for many - including the rabid East Coast fans) They have two major airports and people can get there extremely easily. The weather in July is usually spectacular (as long as you don't mind heat). This is the ONLY US show of the entire summer. They haven't done a substantial US tour since 2010 (and some would argue 2009). This is going to be an EPIC EVENT! There are literally 50+ bars within a mile and a half of Wrigley Field (20+ right around the stadium alone). They draw 40,000 people for a pub crawl in that area in DECEMBER! This place will be MOBBED with THOUSANDS looking for tickets. That doesn't bode well for the people who think there will be an ABUNDANCE of tickets available at face value or LESS! Don't get me wrong, there will always be miracle tickets out there, but to think that you will be able to walk down the day of the show and easily grab tickets for less than face is nuts. All I am saying is that if you DEFINITELY want to get in to this show, you are going to want to have tickets in hand so that you can enjoy your day partaking in the pre-show festivities rather than walking the streets with your finger raised in the air. $200-$300 is NOT an UNREASONABLE price to pay for this show by any means.
    Post edited by Isoworld13 on
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2006 Chicago & Boston (x2)
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2013 Wrigley, Worcerster (x2), Philly, & Hartford
    2014 Memphis, Moline, Denver
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Hampton, Philly, Fenway (x2), Wrigley Monday
    2018 Wrigley (x2), Fenway (x2)
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Isoworld13 wrote:
    Chicago is a big city. There are almost 3 million people in the Chicago area alone. It's also centrally located in the heart of the US and can easily be gotten to from most of the US in less than 3 hours by plane (it is also less than a 24 hour drive for many - including the rabid East Coast fans) They have two major airports and people can get there extremely easily. The weather in July is usually spectacular (as long as you don't mind heat). This is the ONLY US show of the entire summer. They haven't done a substantial US tour since 2010 (and some would argue 2009). This is going to be an EPIC EVENT! There are literally 20+ bars within a mile and a half of Wrigley Field. They draw 40,000 people for a pub crawl in that area in DECEMBER! This place will be MOBBED with THOUSANDS looking for tickets. That doesn't bode well for the people who think there will be an ABUNDANCE of tickets available at face value or LESS! Don't get me wrong, there will always be miracle tickets out there, but to think that you will be able to walk down the day of the show and easily grab tickets for less than face is nuts. All I am saying is that if you DEFINITELY want to get in to this show, you are going to want to have tickets in hand so that you can enjoy your day partaking in the pre-show festivities rather than walking the streets with your finger raised in the air. $200-$300 is NOT an UNREASONABLE price to pay for this show by any means.

I don't know, I have always seen tickets for more in demand shows than this pop up on the board before. And PJ has not done a substantial US tour since 2003
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    There were plenty of tix for face at both PJ20 and Missoula come showtime. Made me wish I had waited even though I wouldn't have probably even made the trip.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • You can't compare Chicago to Alpine Valley. It's not even close. One has a population of 3 million, the other 10,000. Between 2009 & 2010 they did over 30 shows covering almost all of the US except for the South (barring Autsin, New Orleans, and Virginia) That's about as extensive as it gets.
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • I would also be very wary of buying tickets in the streets. I'm sure the market will be flooded with counterfeits for a show as big as this.
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • Isoworld13 wrote:
    Chicago is a big city. There are almost 3 million people in the Chicago area alone. It's also centrally located in the heart of the US and can easily be gotten to from most of the US in less than 3 hours by plane (it is also less than a 24 hour drive for many - including the rabid East Coast fans) They have two major airports and people can get there extremely easily. The weather in July is usually spectacular (as long as you don't mind heat). This is the ONLY US show of the entire summer. They haven't done a substantial US tour since 2010 (and some would argue 2009). This is going to be an EPIC EVENT! There are literally 50+ bars within a mile and a half of Wrigley Field (20+ right around the stadium alone). They draw 40,000 people for a pub crawl in that area in DECEMBER! This place will be MOBBED with THOUSANDS looking for tickets. That doesn't bode well for the people who think there will be an ABUNDANCE of tickets available at face value or LESS! Don't get me wrong, there will always be miracle tickets out there, but to think that you will be able to walk down the day of the show and easily grab tickets for less than face is nuts. All I am saying is that if you DEFINITELY want to get in to this show, you are going to want to have tickets in hand so that you can enjoy your day partaking in the pre-show festivities rather than walking the streets with your finger raised in the air. $200-$300 is NOT an UNREASONABLE price to pay for this show by any means.

I respectfully disagree with this. I've been to hundreds of concerts in my life of all types and there are (almost) always tickets. As a general rule, the larger the venue, the more extras there will be floating around. It's true that searching for an extra can cut into your pre-show festivities, but if you just stand around the will call window and ask people (NOT scalpers) if they have an extra you will get taken care of sooner rather than later. Most of the time you will get it for face value because someone's friend couldn't make it or somesuch. These are people who just don't want to eat the ticket - not looking to make a buck.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: you play chicken with the scalpers. If you wait until PJ takes the stage or near that time the ticket prices will plummet as the scalpers just try to get any money they can. At worst you miss a song or two. But it won't even come to that at a show like this because there are so many tickets out there.

The only time you have to worry about not finding a good non-scalper ticket the day of the show is if the conditions are truly unique. The Vic for instance - a 1,000 seat club with fan club only tickets. I wouldn't have any expectations of getting in under those circumstances.

Wrigley will be a cakewalk. Don't feed the scalpers.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

PJStatTracker is right on this. It really doesn't matter if X # of people live in Chicago as opposed to Wisconsin etc. Most people who don't follow the band don't even know PJ still puts out music. While it is a rabid fanbase, it's much like a hockey crowd that does have passionate fans, just not as many as the other sports. Right now everyone is just trying to make a buck and many will be more than happy to take face as the show gets closer. As 'neat' as Wrigley is, to most it's just another stadium show which takes a back seat to more intimate performances. Nothing was hyped like PJ20 or Missoula, and even though only X # of people live there, plenty of 'day of the show' tix were available.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • As a Chicagoan that has seen a few shows at Wrigley (The Police, DMB and McCartney), there will be plenty of tickets. Springsteen's show was supposedly sold out for months and they released tickets days before the show. While major scalpers have no problem dumping unused tickets, there are a ton of smaller businesses that will cave hours before the show.

I'm saying this from experience, I went up to Wrigley for DMB, waited for the band to play their opening note and then grabbed 100 level seats for $15. I'm not saying it will be that easy or cheap, but you should be able to get a reasonable ticket that day. Scalpers make the bulk of their money off the initial rush and then gradually try and cut their losses. Stubhub works the same way, prices will fall, and your purchase is covered.
  • While everyone keeps saying there will be plenty of tickets, if I didn't have them I would be a little worried.

People comparing Alpine Valley not selling out to this are crazy. First Alpine Valley was two nights and they would have continued to sell as many lawn seats as possible. And as others have said Alpine Valley is not Chicago. People have to travel over 2 hours from Chicago to get to Alpine.

Also, take a look at Stubhub again: Pearl Jam availabilty, less than 1600 tickets in a 40,000 seat stadium.

Priced from: $229.00 USD
    1,597 tickets left

Now look at Jay Z/Justin Timberlake at Soldier Field. Over 7000k tickets available before the general onsale tommorow, WOW....and yes Soldier Field is bigger but it is also one of the smallest NFL fields w/ barely over 60k, and if you look at the tickets they aren't selling tickets behing the stage so maybe 52,000 or so.

Priced from: $79.00 USD
    7,213 tickets left

Yes you might get lucky in the end, but especially if you are travelling in.....I would go for a roof top ticket....$100 and free food/booze, you will be able to hear it just as well if not better than people that are in the last few rows of the 200 or 500 section.
  • As a Chicagoan that has seen a few shows at Wrigley (The Police, DMB and McCartney), there will be plenty of tickets. Springsteen's show was supposedly sold out for months and they released tickets days before the show. While major scalpers have no problem dumping unused tickets, there are a ton of smaller businesses that will cave hours before the show.

I'm saying this from experience, I went up to Wrigley for DMB, waited for the band to play their opening note and then grabbed 100 level seats for $15. I'm not saying it will be that easy or cheap, but you should be able to get a reasonable ticket that day. Scalpers make the bulk of their money off the initial rush and then gradually try and cut their losses. Stubhub works the same way, prices will fall, and your purchase is covered.

All of those shows we're in the middle of a tour, no reason for out of towners to come into town, and i know that Dave played two shows. The Police and McCartney aren't gonna attract the Wrigleyville crowd that just wants to party either, which there will be plenty of at the show.

Regardless, getting singles shouldn't be an issue, and probably cheaper, closer to face value pairs. I just hope people don't expect to buy 4 together easily. However the out of towners are the wild cards. You didn't have them for the other shows, but you will have plenty of out of town PJ fans who will go no matter what which might keep the market higher than other Wrigley shows.
  • deagator3 wrote:
    I just hope people don't expect to buy 4 together easily.

Getting 4 together is definitely trickier. I was talking more for people looking for singles or pairs.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Huskers20 wrote:
    While everyone keeps saying there will be plenty of tickets, if I didn't have them I would be a little worried.

People comparing Alpine Valley not selling out to this are crazy. First Alpine Valley was two nights and they would have continued to sell as many lawn seats as possible. And as others have said Alpine Valley is not Chicago. People have to travel over 2 hours from Chicago to get to Alpine.

Also, take a look at Stubhub again: Pearl Jam availabilty, less than 1600 tickets in a 40,000 seat stadium.

Priced from: $229.00 USD
    1,597 tickets left

Now look at Jay Z/Justin Timberlake at Soldier Field. Over 7000k tickets available before the general onsale tommorow, WOW....and yes Soldier Field is bigger but it is also one of the smallest NFL fields w/ barely over 60k, and if you look at the tickets they aren't selling tickets behing the stage so maybe 52,000 or so.

Priced from: $79.00 USD
    7,213 tickets left

Yes you might get lucky in the end, but especially if you are travelling in.....I would go for a roof top ticket....$100 and free food/booze, you will be able to hear it just as well if not better than people that are in the last few rows of the 200 or 500 section.

I guess the overall point is there are plenty of tickets...it's a massive, massive concert and the show isn't until July, so at the very least wait until the beginning of July to pull the trigger on anything. Ticket prices will continue to gradually fall as they do for any big show.

I would also advise against buying a rooftop ticket just to be able to hear the show. Not many fans around here will be satisfied by that and will go in search of an actual ticket, which they will find. Then they will have just needlessly spent an extra $100.

This is all just my opinion, of course. I'm always willing to show up without a plan and just wing it because it pretty much always works out. Other people really don't like rolling that way and place a lot of value on having the matter settled before they arrive, which is totally valid. Anyone who wants that security should buy early and save themselves the stress. If you are not the type to stress about such things, then just show up and ask around. You'll find a ticket.

">here</a>.
    or

• SD63653SD63653 AZ4LIFE Posts: 66
    Some of you people are stressing me out!!! It's Feb 28th. Stubhub/scalpers selling now, are working with all your fears. Wrigley is huge. Tickets will come down. Tickets will be available day of. I will be traveling from Seattle, no ticket in hand, I expect no issues. Too early to buy! Don't do I! :nono: :nono: :nono:
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    SD63653 wrote:
    Some of you people are stressing me out!!! It's Feb 28th. Stubhub/scalpers selling now, are working with all your fears. Wrigley is huge. Tickets will come down. Tickets will be available day of. I will be traveling from Seattle, no ticket in hand, I expect no issues. Too early to buy! Don't do I! :nono: :nono: :nono:

You will find a ticket from someone on the board later this spring, just have to be patient.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    81 wrote:
    you said a naughty word
    Cheap?
  • People will spend Thousands of Dollars on Posters.
    People will spend Thousands of Dollars on Frames.
    People will spend Hundreds of Dollars on Bootlegs.
    People will spend $150 for a Super Duper Re-Issue, of a 20 year old Album.
    People will spend $100 for a Track Suit.
    People will spend $100 on a Jacket.
    People will spend $800 on an album.

But these same people, will bitch, scream, whine, and moan, if they have to go to stubhub a buy a concert ticket, for $100 over face value.

I dont get it.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    People will spend Thousands of Dollars on Posters.

But these same people, will bitch, scream, whine, and moan, if they have to go to stubhub a buy a concert ticket, for $100 over face value.

I dont get it.

there is always an exception to the rule.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

I dont get it.

It makes no fucking sense to me.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • 81 wrote:

I dont get it.

It makes no fucking sense to me.

Those people that you refer to are probably the same people that got on stub.. or the Bay and paid crazy money weeks ago. Not everyone spends crazy money.

Also, those items that you refer to typically hold their value.

With that said, I understand your point.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • People will spend Thousands of Dollars on Posters.

I dont get it.

Can't really argue with that, hahaha

">here</a>.
    or

• 2001ALLSTAREDDIE2001ALLSTAREDDIE NorCal Posts: 193

I dont get it.

Can't really argue with that, hahaha

i'm not complaining about cost. money is temporary. it comes and goes. memories of pj shows last much longer. i just want to get into the show. i'll wait it out and either get for one from here, or do as suggested and stalk the stadium the day-of for fans with spares.
    12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508

I dont get it.

I'm just mad Tim B. never called me and brought 4 GA tickets to my house. I thought that was included in the $40 a year I spent?
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

I dont get it.

I'm just mad Tim B. never called me and brought 4 GA tickets to my house. I thought that was included in the $40 a year I spent?

He doesn't call, he just shows up. No one was home.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

The supply has seemed to increase with the lowest price dropping close to $200. Small steps but I think the market is flooded now that people got their hard tickets in the mail and they don't want to pay for them on next month's credit card bill before they flip them.... ;)
    $200 to get in the building.
    Isnt a bad deal at all.

Depends on the seat. Too many seats at Wrigley to be paying $200 just to get in. In my opinion. Wait until the day of show.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I wouldn't wait til the day of the show. I heard there were false tickets floating around in Stockholm last summer for the PJ concert. The show was sold out, but you could find left over tickets through the internet, that's what I did. But no, I would never show up without a ticket on the day. Buy in advance.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I'm convinced some of the posters in this thread have tickets they are trying to move on stubhub.

:nono:
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Wilds wrote:
    I'm convinced some of the posters in this thread have tickets they are trying to move on stubhub.

wouldn't suprise me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Wilds wrote:

+1 The best advice is to keep an eye on the # of tix on the secondary market and the price that the seller is asking. Just like basic Business Economics 101, it's all about supply and demand. Based on what I'm seeing, many tix were bought with the intentions of being resold for profit. Many people will always jump as soon as the event is sold out, so once that wave dies, you'll get a feeling for the true market as show time gets closer.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Most companies operate the same way ticketbastard does, so I think most of the same rules applies.

Usually in the last few weeks leading up to a show more tickets get released. Sometimes its two weeks out, sometimes its 2 days, and sometimes its day of.

They usually hold tickets back for fan clubs and promos. They also block off tickets around the stage in case speaker stacks or something would impede the view.

I generally know this because I'm super picky with my concert tickets. If I don't get GA floor or first 10 rows (on the floor or side stage tickets) I wait.

It's always worked out for me. Its completely nerve wracking because you really want to go and therefore really want to have tickets. Pearl Jam '98 in Vancouver I got row 10 beside the stage day of. There was a Tool show in Edmonton that I got row 7 on the floor about two weeks before the show. Same deal with Motley Crue/Aerosmith. Some friends of mine really want to see kid rock and they kept trying to buy crappy tickets. I didn't really want to go, but I was moving away and thought it might be one last fun thing to do. I took charge of the tickets and got us row 9 on the floor a few weeks before the show. I sort of did that because when I let someone else in charge of Tool tickets (a different tool show) I got stuck being way up in the stands.

The moral of my story is hammer the website in the weeks leading up to the show. Decent tickets will probably be released.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Zod wrote:
    Most companies operate the same way ticketbastard does, so I think most of the same rules applies.

Usually in the last few weeks leading up to a show more tickets get released. Sometimes its two weeks out, sometimes its 2 days, and sometimes its day of.

They usually hold tickets back for fan clubs and promos. They also block off tickets around the stage in case speaker stacks or something would impede the view.

I generally know this because I'm super picky with my concert tickets. If I don't get GA floor or first 10 rows (on the floor or side stage tickets) I wait.

It's always worked out for me. Its completely nerve wracking because you really want to go and therefore really want to have tickets. Pearl Jam '98 in Vancouver I got row 10 beside the stage day of. There was a Tool show in Edmonton that I got row 7 on the floor about two weeks before the show. Same deal with Motley Crue/Aerosmith. Some friends of mine really want to see kid rock and they kept trying to buy crappy tickets. I didn't really want to go, but I was moving away and thought it might be one last fun thing to do. I took charge of the tickets and got us row 9 on the floor a few weeks before the show. I sort of did that because when I let someone else in charge of Tool tickets (a different tool show) I got stuck being way up in the stands.

The moral of my story is hammer the website in the weeks leading up to the show. Decent tickets will probably be released.

this gives me some hope for london
    did you see me? i saw you.