Fuck the World...NIN IS BACK!!!!

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Vancouver tonight!!!! :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lastexit78 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Has anyone been reading about how much Trent is doing for a huge NIN fan who has terminal cancer?

His name is Andrew, and he is a close friend of my wife.

Trent has invited him to rehearsals, dedicated songs to him during concerts, and even did facetime with him during the NIN show in Las Vegas this past Saturday.

Trent is a class act!

I was at the Vegas show last weekend when he called Andrew. It was pretty cool, probably the loudest the crowd got all night was for Andrew. Overall a lackluster crowd, we were in the balcony and NOBODY was even standing. The setlist was basically all of Hesitation Marks along with some rarities and the usuals like Hurt, Head Like a Hole and Wish. Overall a cool show in a small venue, not as amazing as Lights In the Sky was but I think he wanted to reinvent things a little.
    I did read that the Las Vegas shows were different from the arena shows as they were unable to bring their full production in.
  • Vancouver show... from the floor was awesome!

Lights were second to none.

In particular, I loved hearing:
    The Wretched
    Somewhat Damaged
    March of the Pigs
    Terrible Lie
    Hurt

Various Methods of Escape and Find My Way sure give the new album credibility. I liked it before, but I really like it now.

I've gone from the casual fan to a very interested fan. Can't stop listening to Reptile and No, You Don't. And Dead Souls going through the Bose headphones right now.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    Hesitation Marks has an interesting new style and sound.

But...

There are some woeful songs on there. Everything is horrific in particular.

The Eater of Dreams, Copy of A, Came Back Haunted, Find My Way and Various Methods of Escape are the only ones I listen to.

The Fragile, it ain't.
  • EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    I'm really loving it. Especially from Satellite onwards. I Would For You and In Two might be one of my favourite one-two punches in the NIN catalogue.

Everything is easily the weakest song, but it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as it seems to bother everyone else.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
    It's a hideous song.

Satellite isn't very good either and All Time Low is awful too.
  • EdLaw wrote:
    I'm really loving it. Especially from Satellite onwards. I Would For You and In Two might be one of my favourite one-two punches in the NIN catalogue.

Everything is easily the weakest song, but it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as it seems to bother everyone else.

I don't think Everything is the weakest song but I can see why people think that.

Hesitation Marks is a great album, so much depth to it and i'm still finding subtle textures lurking in the background. Satellite is a great anti pop song.

I'm really looking forward to the tour next year and what Trent comes up with.
    So I saw them last Thursday, and it was a really good show, but I found something REALLY strange. I don't think Trent or anyone else addressed the audience ONCE. Not a word. I guess I might be forgetting a "Hello Vancouver" or something, but I don't think so. So it was more like watching a movie in a way. There was ZERO connection with the crowd as far as I could tell. In fact, their special effect lighting screen or whatever actually dropped in FRONT of the stage and physically blocked them from the audience for a good part of the show. It was fairly alienating. So that is my complaint... and that's a pretty big one. Thinking about a main reason I love PJ live - that connection with the crowd and so much communication - I found the complete lack of any of that from NIN disappointing. Other than that, it was fantastic. Sounded great, looked great! And the crowd was pretty decent for Vancouver.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    So I saw them last Thursday, and it was a really good show, but I found something REALLY strange. I don't think Trent or anyone else addressed the audience ONCE. Not a word. I guess I might be forgetting a "Hello Vancouver" or something, but I don't think so. So it was more like watching a movie in a way. There was ZERO connection with the crowd as far as I could tell. In fact, their special effect lighting screen or whatever actually dropped in FRONT of the stage and physically blocked them from the audience for a good part of the show. It was fairly alienating. So that is my complaint... and that's a pretty big one. Thinking about a main reason I love PJ live - that connection with the crowd and so much communication - I found the complete lack of any of that from NIN disappointing. Other than that, it was fantastic. Sounded great, looked great! And the crowd was pretty decent for Vancouver.

He thanked the crowd. He also introduced the band. But you are correct that it was more a production than an intimate evening.

That curtain they dropped in front of the band led to some great lighting effects!
    PJ_Soul wrote:

He thanked the crowd. He also introduced the band. But you are correct that it was more a production than an intimate evening.

That curtain they dropped in front of the band led to some great lighting effects!
    Well, at least they said something, but still.... Yes, that screen did lead to some great lighting effects! It looked cool!.... But the cost of that was literally not being able to see the band at all for some parts of the show... I just found that odd.
    EdLaw wrote:

I don't think Everything is the weakest song but I can see why people think that.

Hesitation Marks is a great album, so much depth to it and i'm still finding subtle textures lurking in the background. Satellite is a great anti pop song.

Everything is the worst NIN song ever.
    Olivavu wrote:
    EdLaw wrote:

YUP!! It's horrible! The rest of the album is good, fortunately.
  • Olivavu wrote:
    EdLaw wrote:

I'd take it over Perfect Drug and Starfuckers any day.

And I'm 100% serious.
  • PJ_Soul wrote:

It's a journey. He's not there to be my friend and I get that. :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't want him to be my friend. But I want to feel like I'm actually watching a live show with actual real people playing and feeling the music, and not some kind of Universal Studios attraction. They could have been high tech robot band members and the music could have been recorded, and I really wouldn't have noticed the difference.
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't want him to be my friend. But I want to feel like I'm actually watching a live show with actual real people playing and feeling the music, and not some kind of Universal Studio attraction. They could have been high tech robot band members and the music could have been recorded, and I really wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Really? I didn't feel that at all. :lol:

Hmmm. I'm a fan of big production shows, but I see what you mean... I guess.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't want him to be my friend. But I want to feel like I'm actually watching a live show with actual real people playing and feeling the music, and not some kind of Universal Studio attraction. They could have been high tech robot band members and the music could have been recorded, and I really wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Really? I didn't feel that at all. :lol:

Hmmm. I'm a fan of big production shows, but I see what you mean... I guess.
    I like big production shows too, and I still enjoyed it because it sounded and looked great, and I'm glad I saw it, but it was definitely missing something for me. Missing a human factor.... It's like Trent Reznor has no personality for me now, even though he can create when I heard and saw.

• I'd take it over Perfect Drug and Starfuckers any day.

And I'm 100% serious.

Me too. The Perfect Drug is just overrated to my ears.
    I'd take it over Perfect Drug and Starfuckers any day.

And I'm 100% serious.

Those two songs are excellent.
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    I know what you mean. At the Toronto show, Trent said thank you a number of times and the only time he really addressed to the audience was after the first song of the encore Even Deeper. He introduced the band members and he also joked that he's thinking of moving to Canada because the Toronto crowd was great. Less talking, more music. And I prefer it that way in my opinion.
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    I know what you mean. At the Toronto show, Trent said thank you a number of times and the only time he really addressed to the audience was after the first song of the encore Even Deeper. He introduced the band members and he also joked that he's thinking of moving to Canada because the Toronto crowd was great. Less talking, more music. And I prefer it that way in my opinion.

Long, forced, meandering musings are painful.

Eddie is one of the more vocal guys with regards to storytelling and I don't mind most of the stuff he tells, but there have been times when he has been spinning bullshit introducing songs.

Guys like Maynard say very little. This was my first time seeing NIN so I wasn't sure what to expect from Reznor- but I was okay with the level of interaction and the pace of the show.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    That's a lot more talking that he did in Vancouver. If he'd talked that much, I probably wouldn't have commented (although frankly, and to be fair, I can't remember him introducing the band, but supposedly he did... iI think I must have been in the washroom at the time).
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Long, forced, meandering musings are painful.

Eddie is one of the more vocal guys with regards to storytelling and I don't mind most of the stuff he tells, but there have been times when he has been spinning bullshit introducing songs.

Guys like Maynard say very little. This was my first time seeing NIN so I wasn't sure what to expect from Reznor- but I was okay with the level of interaction and the pace of the show.
    Forced musings are certainly painful. I would rather someone say nothing at all than be forced about it (I have never seen or heard EV forcing anything - I could listen to him talk all day to be honest :lol: ). Anyway, really enjoyed the show, but sticking by my original thoughts on this one. It wasn't just the lack of any kind of communication with the crowd beside introducing the band and saying hi. It was also the fact that for some of the show I could even SEE the band because of the effects screen in front of the stage. Having a physical barrier between the band and the crowd doesn't seem ideal to me. I don't think the light effects created by that screen were worth doing that for the most part (with the exception of the whole part with the laser cube and lines and shit - that was awesome :) ).
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Has anyone been reading about how much Trent is doing for a huge NIN fan who has terminal cancer?

Trent has invited him to rehearsals, dedicated songs to him during concerts, and even did facetime with him during the NIN show in Las Vegas this past Saturday.

Trent is a class act!

Sad to say that Andrew passed-away this past Saturday. :(
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    Forced musings are certainly painful. I would rather someone say nothing at all than be forced about it (I have never seen or heard EV forcing anything - I could listen to him talk all day to be honest :lol: ). Anyway, really enjoyed the show, but sticking by my original thoughts on this one. It wasn't just the lack of any kind of communication with the crowd beside introducing the band and saying hi. It was also the fact that for some of the show I could even SEE the band because of the effects screen in front of the stage. Having a physical barrier between the band and the crowd doesn't seem ideal to me. I don't think the light effects created by that screen were worth doing that for the most part (with the exception of the whole part with the laser cube and lines and shit - that was awesome :) ).

:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Trent is a class act!

Sad to say that Andrew passed-away this past Saturday. :(

Yes, very sad to see that
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Suppose NIN had huge, swinging light bulbs on stage that the band members knocked around.....would you like that? :lol:
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Suppose NIN had huge, swinging light bulbs on stage that the band members knocked around.....would you like that? :lol:

No, because it wouldn't seem right for a Nine Inch Nails production. :lol:
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

In 2007, they had hanging lightbulbs that they swung around... But Trent did not have one specially made to stand on and swing from.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    edited December 2013
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

In 2007, they had hanging lightbulbs that they swung around... But Trent did not have one specially made to stand on and swing from.

:lol:

Lame... but of course... :lol:
    Post edited by peacefrompaul on