Super deluxe box sets ?

Comments

Thanks, all good points.
    And as much as I understand it, I don't see any reason why they don't continue with the release of the Super Deluxe Box Sets.
    Except for the reason the last one didn't sell that well.
    Being to busy (with their jobs) can't be the reason since it is Ed and Jeff who did most of the work for the first ones.

And as someone suggested earlier, just ask the fans / Tenclub Members what they want to be included in the SDBS.
    There will be a lot of great input I guess.

Jeff mentioned after the second box that the band is tired (for now) of looking back, and want to focus on the future. I personally can't imagine how much work it was to put those box sets and the movie together, with all the footage and memoribilia they have laying around. I'd get tired of that too.

Or... they did not sell good enough (the TEN was almost given away at places and later VS was only sold here). Better playing festivals.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Or... they did not sell good enough (the TEN was almost given away at places and later VS was only sold here). Better playing festivals.

I don't think the band gives a shit about sales.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I don't think the band gives a shit about sales.
    Their management surely does.
  • LamentLament Posts: 294
    Lament wrote:
    Stone explicitly said there would be more, but that there was no timetable whatsoever as to when they would come out...

http://grungereport.net/?p=11697

that doesn't really matter. each member has explicitly stated something would happen at some point that hasn't come to fruition.

The question was what the word was on the next installment. That's the last thing anybody within the Pearl Jam organization has said regarding about the ongoing boxed set project. Hence for the time being that would be "the word."

If word from within the organization "doesn't really matter" then tell me what does? Conjecture from people with no ties to the band on a message board?
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Lament wrote:
    Lament wrote:
    Stone explicitly said there would be more, but that there was no timetable whatsoever as to when they would come out...

that doesn't really matter. each member has explicitly stated something would happen at some point that hasn't come to fruition.

The question was what the word was on the next installment. That's the last thing anybody within the Pearl Jam organization has said regarding about the ongoing boxed set project. Hence for the time being that would be "the word."

If word from within the organization "doesn't really matter" then tell me what does? Conjecture from people with no ties to the band on a message board?

Well I think all he was saying is that there has been plenty said by band members that doesn't necessarily come to fruition.....the timetable on the next album comes to mind. Certainly someone on a message board wouldn't know better, but I don't think anyone suggested that anyway.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Jeff mentioned after the second box that the band is tired (for now) of looking back, and want to focus on the future. I personally can't imagine how much work it was to put those box sets and the movie together, with all the footage and memoribilia they have laying around. I'd get tired of that too.
    And I don't blame him for being tired of looking back.
    That is exactly WHY We... the FANS... could help by expressing what we wish the rest of the set would look like. Jeff won't have to do much, other than provide the source material.
    No Code / Yield - 1996-1999
    Binural / Riot Act - 2000-2004
    Pearl Jam / Backspacer - 2005-2010
    1990 to 2010 - Twenty Years
    Jeff can provide guidence to the Ten Club workers... and the Ten Club workers get ideas from us. That way, Jeff can do what he wants and
    For example,
    We want it to cost 100 bucks... and we will work within that restriction.
    Re-issued vinyl LP (including the proper liner notes, stickers, etc...) no need to add songs, just re-prints of the originals.
    A FULL concert CD (previously unavailable)... or a DVD from the specific period.
    And tossed in cool stuff... re-printed stickers... or re-printed guitar picks... or cards... or photos... or minature prints of posters (something nice... like a serigraph).
    The packaging should match the previous 2... so it makes a complete set.
    The specifics can be... something like, an extended version of 'Single Video Theory' with extras... or a sequal to 'Touring Band 2000'... or the 'Bridge School 20th' (uncut).
    And any concert CD... give us the entire thing... not cut up with gaps in it.
    I don't know... I'm just tossing stuff out there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Lament wrote:
    Lament wrote:

easy big fella. just having a discussion here.

I never said I knew any more than anyone else. I don't. I'm just saying that judging from what each individual member has said regarding any host of topics, you can't believe it until it actually happens.

and actually, I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong here) that Stone's statement from April 2012 precedes Jeff's statement of being done with the reissues for a long time.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • they've all released tonnes of new music.........
    I'm a Pearl Jam fan, so I'm talking about Pearl Jam music.
    Brad, RNDM, Uke-Vedder or whatever else are all nice things, but they are not Pearl Jam.
    Lately, it looks like Pearl Jam isn't the main priority for most of the guys anymore.
    Not judging, just observing.
    Look at the times in between albums:
    It'll be more than 4 years in between the last album and the next one.
    They did 3 albums during this period when they all focused on this band in the 90s.

no one is debating that. but you have to remember that all bands release music at a frantic pace in their infancy. this is normal, and that things slow down over time. 4 years in between albums is NOTHING. especially for a band that's been around 20 years. I challenge you to look at any band that's been around this length of time and find one that still releases music at the pace they did in their prime.

bands love to tour when they are young. it's fun, it's a big party, but as you get older and you have kids and/or a spouse, it doesn't have the appeal it once did. same goes for any profession, even if it's your passion. when young, traveling with your friends/coworkers is just one big road trip. now, it takes you away from those that you love. and bands write a lot on the road, so less touring means less collaboration. it's just common sense that the period between albums is going to get larger as time goes on.

expect their 11th album to be out around 2020 or later.
    Metallica has been out for 30 years. and most of the members are the same age as pj.

YET, they tour every year, ESPECIALLY in the summer. granted most of that is outside the states, but they are out there.

and when they do a big us tour, they take frequent mini-breaks to be with their families and not kill each other on the road. the death magnetic tour was from 2008-2010, but they spaced it out to enjoy the tour.
    Thanks, all good points.
    And as much as I understand it, I don't see any reason why they don't continue with the release of the Super Deluxe Box Sets.
    Except for the reason the last one didn't sell that well.
    Being to busy (with their jobs) can't be the reason since it is Ed and Jeff who did most of the work for the first ones.

And as someone suggested earlier, just ask the fans / Tenclub Members what they want to be included in the SDBS.
    There will be a lot of great input I guess.
    since it was sold only at the TC store, we have no way of knowing how well it really sold.

that said, it was kinda dumb to just have it offered here. when you offer it to amazon and the big boxes, the market will keep the price down. i know i didnt buy it until it got discounted with free shipping(and a bonus cd)
  • LamentLament Posts: 294

I never said I knew any more than anyone else. I don't. I'm just saying that judging from what each individual member has said regarding any host of topics, you can't believe it until it actually happens.

and actually, I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong here) that Stone's statement from April 2012 precedes Jeff's statement of being done with the reissues for a long time.

I apologize if I came off as nasty, as that was not my intent. My point was just that a statement from a band member (regardless of how accurate they've been in the past) is still the most definitive thing we have to go on (even when we can all agree it's nowhere near as definitive as anyone would like). For some reason I thought Jeff's comments were from 2011 (in the aftermath of PJ20), but if they were in fact more recent than Stone's, then I would agree that right now that would be what the "word" on the reissues is until someone from within the organization says otherwise.
  • ewokpelts wrote:
    Metallica has been out for 30 years. and most of the members are the same age as pj.

YET, they tour every year, ESPECIALLY in the summer. granted most of that is outside the states, but they are out there.

and when they do a big us tour, they take frequent mini-breaks to be with their families and not kill each other on the road. the death magnetic tour was from 2008-2010, but they spaced it out to enjoy the tour.

yes, they do tour a lot. but they also are a giant money making machine, like the metal version of Kiss. plus their albums are spaced out further than PJ's are. Between Black Album and Load/Reload was 5 and 6 years. Between Reload and St Anger was 6 years. St Anger and Death Magnetic was another 5. Death Magnetic was in 2008. Their new album doesn't come out until at LEAST 2014 Lars said recently.

and either way, that's one other band. it's not the norm. and I wouldn't expect it to be.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Lament wrote:

I apologize if I came off as nasty, as that was not my intent. My point was just that a statement from a band member (regardless of how accurate they've been in the past) is still the most definitive thing we have to go on (even when we can all agree it's nowhere near as definitive as anyone would like). For some reason I thought Jeff's comments were from 2011 (in the aftermath of PJ20), but if they were in fact more recent than Stone's, then I would agree that right now that would be what the "word" on the reissues is until someone from within the organization says otherwise.

I know, I just think it's important to put these things in context. I wasn't disputing what Stone or anyone in the band said, I was just saying "this is what has happened in the past with things they have said", so to take it all with a grain. that's all.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • ewokpelts wrote:

yes, they do tour a lot. but they also are a giant money making machine, like the metal version of Kiss. plus their albums are spaced out further than PJ's are. Between Black Album and Load/Reload was 5 and 6 years. Between Reload and St Anger was 6 years. St Anger and Death Magnetic was another 5. Death Magnetic was in 2008. Their new album doesn't come out until at LEAST 2014 Lars said recently.

and either way, that's one other band. it's not the norm. and I wouldn't expect it to be.
    and pearl jam ISNT a money making machine?
  • ewokpelts wrote:

not even close to the likes of Metallica.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Any word on the next instalment of the super deluxe box sets ?

No "official" word yet. I just hope Jeff & Ed working on the next one will include a DVD / Blu-ray for the No Code / Yield box set.
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Sure, we all want a new album.....but I think we all could go for a super deluxe No Code/Yield box set to go with the rest of the collection. :P

Highly anticipating that bad boy. Any guesses as to what show from that era they would include in the set?
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• TxuriTxuri Posts: 15
    Why not organize ouselves in some kind of workgroups and try to get to them so we can present "the project"?
    And for project we all can understand that may be something similar to what NIN fans did with This One Is From Us material...
    I'll be glad to be a part of that collective workforce
    Just a thought...
    Once
    Upon a time
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I'm looking forward to the next installment, although it seems sales of the last one was lower than expected, so I have a feeling it will never come out or we may have to wait a while.

I hope I am wrong!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the next installment, although it seems sales of the last one was lower than expected, so I have a feeling it will never come out or we may have to wait a while.

I hope I am wrong!

+1.

I hope the band/ten club looks at the reasons why.

The ten boxset had a few things in its favor. Ten was mixed in an odd way and a remaster was a big benefit. The first three PJ albums were the easiest to find on Vinyl before they were re-released. In this case you need to give people a reason to rebuy the vinyl. There was much less of a reason for Vs./Vitalogy, because they were plenty of copies of the originals. The extra songs on the Vs/Vitalogy set were meh, and it didn't come with a DVD :( (the unreleased 1995 home video would of been a no brainer).

In conclusion I would hope the band realizes that its the albums starting with No Code that have some serious pent up vinyl demand. They came out when Vinyl was very unpopular and people are itching not to pay 150-200 for copies. Even though Vs/Vitalogy were more popular albums, I think the demand for a No Code/Yield Box set would be bigger.

It's too bad the low sales of the Vs/Vitalogy sets seems to have derailed the whole thing. I don't think the band quite got why.
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Still waiting for these gems... if it is put off for awhile, how about a no code/yield re-release on vinyl while we wait?
    :D
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami wrote:
    Still waiting for these gems... if it is put off for awhile, how about a no code/yield re-release on vinyl while we wait?

It's probably a business move. One of the reasons the VS/Vitalogy set didn't sell well was because there was an ample supply of those albums already.

If they put out Yield/No Code on vinyl early, it would reduce demand for the boxset (only so many people would be willing to double dip, and the boxset would have to damned impressive to get people to even consider double dipping).

Say it costs $70 to buy both albums on Vinyl and the deluxe set is 150. If they both come out at release you might by the deluxe set for the extra 80. If the put out the vinyl and the boxset doesn't come out for a few years. Would you pay $150 to buy the vinyl a 2nd (or for some people a 3rd) time.

It sort of makes sense... They'd have to try harder on the next box set then they did on the last one :)

On the flipside, I thought it was pretty cool when the Foo Fighters rereleased their whole catalog on vinyl at inexpensive prices.
    Zod wrote:
    Nami wrote:

It's probably a business move. One of the reasons the VS/Vitalogy set didn't sell well was because there was an ample supply of those albums already.

If they put out Yield/No Code on vinyl early, it would reduce demand for the boxset (only so many people would be willing to double dip, and the boxset would have to damned impressive to get people to even consider double dipping).

Say it costs $70 to buy both albums on Vinyl and the deluxe set is 150. If they both come out at release you might by the deluxe set for the extra 80. If the put out the vinyl and the boxset doesn't come out for a few years. Would you pay $150 to buy the vinyl a 2nd (or for some people a 3rd) time.

It sort of makes sense... They'd have to try harder on the next box set then they did on the last one :)

On the flipside, I thought it was pretty cool when the Foo Fighters rereleased their whole catalog on vinyl at inexpensive prices.

Valid points. My intention was to buy both... I did buy the first two deluxe sets so they have a future customer regardless. As for now i would love to hear those two on vinyl.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami wrote:
    Valid points. My intention was to buy both... I did buy the first two deluxe sets so they have a future customer regardless. As for now i would love to hear those two on vinyl.

I did as well (well I owned Original Pressings and bought the boxsets).

I think they either have to ramp up what they include in the boxsets or maybe give up, and put out the vinyls on their own. Theoretically a lot of us ended up buying the Vs./Vitalogy set for the sole purpose of acquiring the live vinyl :) That made it a very expensive live vinyl.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Zod wrote:
    Nami wrote:

do we really know that the vs/vitalogy sets didn't sell well, or is that just conjecture? As far as I know, they were just sold here. And if vs/vitalogy didn't sell well because of a supposed abundance of vinyl for those already existing, how does that explain the supposed great sales of ten, which had far more vinyl in the market?

I am under the assumption that the whole reissue thing is all Sony's doing, and the band said that rather than have reissues that they hate released into the marketplace (like radiohead), they would get involved themselves. Sony and the band announced that they were doing these for all the sony albums, which would make Riot Act the last album to get the treatment. Since we are all guessing at randomness here, I would say next year we get a no code/yield set with monkeywrench radio and/or an aussie 98 show in addition to outtakes, b-sides, etc.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    based on leftover stock and reduced prices I assume there are plenty left.

and i hope they dont stop at riot act.... :D
  • ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    Zod wrote:
    Red Lukin wrote:

I hope I am wrong!

+1.

I hope the band/ten club looks at the reasons why.

The ten boxset had a few things in its favor. Ten was mixed in an odd way and a remaster was a big benefit. The first three PJ albums were the easiest to find on Vinyl before they were re-released. In this case you need to give people a reason to rebuy the vinyl. There was much less of a reason for Vs./Vitalogy, because they were plenty of copies of the originals. The extra songs on the Vs/Vitalogy set were meh, and it didn't come with a DVD :( (the unreleased 1995 home video would of been a no brainer).

In conclusion I would hope the band realizes that its the albums starting with No Code that have some serious pent up vinyl demand. They came out when Vinyl was very unpopular and people are itching not to pay 150-200 for copies. Even though Vs/Vitalogy were more popular albums, I think the demand for a No Code/Yield Box set would be bigger.

It's too bad the low sales of the Vs/Vitalogy sets seems to have derailed the whole thing. I don't think the band quite got why.
    When pearl jam was still a priority at epic, the vinyl copies of no code through riot act were kept in print a long while.
    but as pj sales overall cooled, epic let them go out of print. and then sony music merged with bmg, and pj left epic.
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    ewokpelts wrote:

Even though I do not understand the relevancy to the discussion at hand;

A google search gives james hetfield net worth as 175 mln usd while for eddie vedder, it is only 80 mln.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    jumbojet wrote:
    ewokpelts wrote:

Even though I do not understand the relevancy to the discussion at hand;

A google search gives james hetfield net worth as 175 mln usd while for eddie vedder, it is only 80 mln.
    metallica own ALL their albums. AND, when they re-upped with warner music in 1994, they got a 65 million dollar contract. No one gets those deals anymore.
    Also, metallica run their business a lot differently than pearl jam, even though they are at similar points in age/life/career.....
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    those Australia 1998 videos are sure a tease.
  • JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,406
    need a super deluxe "bootleg" box for 2011 and 2012!!!!!

:fp: :fp:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.