Options

What kind of phone do you have?

Comments

• Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    RKCNDY wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    ok, so I might need to replace the old flip phone soon. what smart phone is recomended?

NOT an iPhone

+1
    I have an iPhone but I don't get the hate for it. Works amazing for me. yes, my post above says I would dabble in the GS4, but that's because I love new tech.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I have an iPhone but I don't get the hate for it. Works amazing for me. yes, my post above says I would dabble in the GS4, but that's because I love new tech.

the hate is for the whole Apple mantra..."you need this, and only this" (well for me)

Apple won't let you customize or personalize. Some people just like to be able to switch stuff up, Hell, Droid even has different launchers-ones that make start-up faster. The ability to personalize clocks, notes, calendars, dialers etc.

I don't want a company to tell me, 'this is what you get, and you're gonna like it' . Don't get me started on iTunes either, I HATE iTunes.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

the hate is for the whole Apple mantra..."you need this, and only this" (well for me)

Apple won't let you customize or personalize. Some people just like to be able to switch stuff up, Hell, Droid even has different launchers-ones that make start-up faster. The ability to personalize clocks, notes, calendars, dialers etc.

I don't want a company to tell me, 'this is what you get, and you're gonna like it' . Don't get me started on iTunes either, I HATE iTunes.

:lol:

i think the customization shit is over blown. :lol: i hear about all these fancy roms/interfaces/blah blah...

just give and send my text messages quickly, give me hotspot for free (hello root) and give me the internet.

oh yeah...and unlimited data. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

sure, I get it but just because they don't want you to customize, doesn't mean that you can't. Screen Shots of my phone below. There are a ton of developers that create amazing tweaks.

Homescreen
    8569226313_66f76bbbb6_n.jpg
    Notification Center - Can access Facebook, Twitter Feed and RSS directly
    8569226101_26d4981940_n.jpg
    Lock Screen (Animated Weather)
    8570321566_f3cff80c1c_n.jpg
    Folders
    8569223845_78225d66ed_n.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    LloydXmas wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

sure, I get it but just because they don't want you to customize, doesn't mean that you can't. Screen Shots of my phone below. There are a ton of developers that create amazing tweaks.

Homescreen
    8569226313_66f76bbbb6_n.jpg
    Notification Center - Can access Facebook, Twitter Feed and RSS directly
    8569226101_26d4981940_n.jpg
    Lock Screen (Animated Weather)
    8570321566_f3cff80c1c_n.jpg
    Folders
    8569223845_78225d66ed_n.jpg

better charge it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

:lol:

i think the customization shit is over blown. :lol: i hear about all these fancy roms/interfaces/blah blah...

just give and send my text messages quickly, give me hotspot for free (hello root) and give me the internet.

oh yeah...and unlimited data. :lol:

I like customization because I would still prefer to write stuff down in a day planner. When I would actually write things down, I would remember it, now my phone just predicts everything, and then I forget about my appointments.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    better charge it
    :lol::lol: I always let my devices die.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i like the selection of different hardware with android
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    LloydXmas wrote:
    81 wrote:
    better charge it
    :lol::lol: I always let my devices die.

I think that is probably what I am going to do - wait until this thing falls apart
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Samsung is awesome. They are unveiling a new one soon - the Galaxy S4. I'd wait for that if I were you. That's what I'll be getting when my contract is up for renewal in October.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    i like the selection of different hardware with android
    Ditto. And you can get more apps for free than with Apple.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Im close to pulling the trigger on a Samsung Galaxy S4.

anyone got it?
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

anyone got it?
    Not yet - I get it free in October when it's time to renew my contract. Can't wait!!!! My Samsung Nexus S has treated me well for 3 years - I will be sticking with Samsung from now on.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    The HTC ONE is a great phone, solid hardware (cant say the same for the Samsung Galaxy line) and the UI HTC put over the stock android is nice and the front speakers are cool.

I'm on the fence between the HTC ONE and Blackberry Z10.

Sonys new Xperia is also pretty cool, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1NxTQj-NXk
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

anyone got it?
    Not yet - I get it free in October when it's time to renew my contract. Can't wait!!!! My Samsung Nexus S has treated me well for 3 years - I will be sticking with Samsung from now on.

:wave: I have a Nexus S too! And I'm also considering switching to the S4! I only hesitate cuz it just seems too big. i carry my Nexus S in my front pocket. I don't think the S4 will comfortably fit anywhere.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Now this is an OS,

I'll throw it on my phone this weekend, now I'm excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZxM9rNyZ4

Long Live Open Source!
  • Options
    I pulled the trigger on a pre-order.

Verizon doesnt offer the HTC One yet. I would have strongly considered that one.
    I eliminated the IPhone 5. Considered it, but hate apple and how their products are so closed.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I have a samsung dumbphone. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Thats a big turn off for me too with apple, everything is too 'closed'.

a review on the S4 Vs Xperia Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aj8Z4AF9GA

Also many HTc One Vs S4 battles on YouTube, they both are pretty close, can't go wrong with any of em. But I really dont like all that Plastic on the Galaxy Phones,

They were suppose to go towards metal, but this is the latest news

Samsung reportedly scraps plans for metal Galaxy Note III, moves back to plastic

Earlier reports suggested Samsung might finally ditch its flimsy-feeling plastic for better build quality on its upcoming Galaxy Note III , but a new report suggests those plans have been scrapped. SamMobile says that while Samsung tested Note III designs that included a metal case and even a flexible plastic display, it ended up choosing a design that takes most of its queues from the new Galaxy S4 . As such, we can expect a plastic case and a similar shape, though the report notes that the new phablet will also feature a smaller bezel around the display just like the Galaxy S4.

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-reportedly-scraps-plans-metal-galaxy-note-iii-151525378.html
  • Options
    that Plastic thing is the biggest complaint about the SG S4. I dont really care too much, I usually just get a plastic case to protect the phone anyways.

I swore off apple (although I considered the I5). I spent an entire weekend converting hundreds of CDs to digital, cataloguing them, etc... I used Itunes.

Then a year+ later I tried to transfer some music to my Droid and realized that the files they convert to can only be played in Apple devices.... and it is a pain in the ass to convert.
  • Options
    Bummer! Same deal with me when I tried to move tunes from my Ipod to another device.
    -

Makes sense about the plastic case thing covering the plastic anyway,

Ya I don't think the S4 has many downsides, maybe too big for some, it would be nice if it was somewhat waterproof like the Sony, and front speakers like the HTC (great sound from the HTC ONE)

AND it would be cool if missed calls,txts and emails showed up on the screen when the phones off, and something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5eOrNfSZz4
  • Options
    SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    twisted thoughtstwisted thoughts Posts: 4,374
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I swore off apple (although I considered the I5). I spent an entire weekend converting hundreds of CDs to digital, cataloguing them, etc... I used Itunes.

Then a year+ later I tried to transfer some music to my Droid and realized that the files they convert to can only be played in Apple devices.... and it is a pain in the ass to convert.

Try using Vuze (formerly Azureus). Its a free download. Its a Bit torrent client. If you have music/videos on your hard drive, you can drag them into to Vuze and then you can transfer them to your droid. Its also good for streaming music/video from your pc to your xbox. Im sure it also has a ton of other capabilities that I am not aware of.

My bf does all the heavy lifting when it comes to managing our music, so I probably won't be too much help in answering questions about the program. But I do know that it added the xbox & droid feature within the last 2 years or so. We use it for the xbox streaming all the time... Prevents us from clogging up the xbox memory with our music... just keep the computer on and stream. I have yet to drag music to my S3, but I know that it is possible. I rarely use my phone for music since I have an ipod, but I plan on playing around with it so i can make some custom ringtones.

There are probably other programs out there that can accomplish this, but I know that we have been using this program for years with no problems.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Snakeduck wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

we know you still use carrier pigeons and/or smoke signals...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    rooted evo
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Iphone 5

Jailbroken
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    I have that wireless kind that makes phone calls.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    old_cordless_phone.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    rotary_phone_purse_82-500x333.jpg

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Got a Galaxy s4 yesterday, very pleased with it so far. Arrived just in time, my Droid 3 had basically turned into a paperweight, it kept locking up several times a day and only way to fix was to pull the battery. The s4 is a big phone but still fits comfortably in my front pocket, very lightweight too. Hoping the battery life is decent.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis