***Official 2006 Toronto Night 1 Thread***

Comments

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    pghas wrote:
    Maybe basing my comments on Astoria, IP and opening night isnt a good idea.

Since the first two were warm-up shows for tonight ... it's understandable that the setlists would be similar.

I'd imagine the rest of the tour would look like, well, the rest of their tours, with different nights heavy on different albums.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • eddieved24eddieved24 Posts: 107
    Of course it is just like us to be making all these comments after only ONE show....but, hum I do think that it is telling they played half of ten and almost the whole new album, which is great. I guess the last 2 tours focused on more songs from the Bineural, Riot act era. Hope as the hour rolls on they will start to add back in some more.....maybe wishlist, NAIS, tremor christ? we will just have to wait and see!
    all those paper plates......
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Inside job!

YEESSSSSSSSSSS ....

Sweet-ass setlist to start. One bootleg going to be purchased ...

I gotta hold off. or else I'll end up buying every single boot. And I can't be doing that ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    pghas wrote:
    So, this is how its gonna be?

Not a whole lot different setlist from Astoria or Irving Plaza. I LOVE that they're playing a ton of new songs every night because I love the new album. And since I'll be attending my first show this tour, I couldn't care less what they play (I own every album, and about 30-40 bootlegs. This is the first time in the last 4 tours that I'm not on call or having a new baby to take care of. Thank God). Well, not true - I dont really like Save You. Its their only song that I dont like.

6 songs from Ten - wow. I guess Sad counts as a Riot Act tune, cause nothing else they played tonight does (how unusual). And only one song off of each Vs., No Code and Binaural. Whatever. i loved the last 2 albums, but who knew they still had this in them? Id honestly be happy if they played the entire new album for me when I go, its just that good.

So have we seen the last of You Are? Or Can't Keep?

Also looks like they're getting away from opening with the slow ones, Maybe basing my comments on Astoria, IP and opening night isnt a good idea.

Its way too early to draw any conclusions about how its going to be ... My guess is that tomorrow's nights' show in the same venue is going to be quite different. Probably a more traditional opener and more old songs. Just a guess, though. Hopefully we'll get the new ones they didn't play tonight as well (Army Reserve, Big Wave, etc).
    I gotta hold off. or else I'll end up buying every single boot. And I can't be doing that ...

That's a good point, actually.
    **takes a deep breath**
  • pghaspghas Posts: 128
    Oh yeah, that's right. How did that not get on the album.

BTW, love your tag, mylifeIsought. Good to know there are other fans of that band around, too. The combiunation of varying setlists, awesome live performances and great music draws people to both, i think, The EW writer wasnt far off with comments about the Dead(Now them I managed to see alot) and PJ. Parallels with Phish are the same.
    pghas wrote:
    Oh yeah, that's right. How did that not get on the album.

BTW, love your tag, mylifeIsought. Good to know there are other fans of that band around, too. The combiunation of varying setlists, awesome live performances and great music draws people to both, i think, The EW writer wasnt far off with comments about the Dead(Now them I managed to see alot) and PJ. Parallels with Phish are the same.

No kidding, I agree totally. The varying setlists are one of the biggest draws for me, and I want to see that continue.
  • pghas wrote:
    Parallels with Phish are the same.
    Yep, such as fans obsessively posting setlists on message boards
    *guilty* :)
    "A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"- Mitch Hedberg
  • jjmofojjmofo Posts: 47
    So
    Ten: 6
    Vs.: 1
    Vitalogy: 3
    No Code: 1
    Yield: 2
    Binaural: 1
    Riot Act: 0 (?!?)
    Lost Dogs: 2
    Avocado: 7
    Cover: 1

Cutting way down on Riot Act? Sure. COMPLETELY dropping Riot Act from the setlist?!? Between Astoria, Irving Plaza and first night in Toronto, the ONLY Riot Act song played was I Am Mine, at the Astoria...

See.... Even Pearl Jam hates Riot Act.
  • pghaspghas Posts: 128
    Yeah, all we need to do is get a tour tournament going and we're all set!

Too bad the bands themselves are so different - for Phish's sake, anyway. PJ thrives by taking 2 of every 3 years off. Phish probably needed to do that, but their material is so complex and their jams rely so heavily on them interacting that taking huge gaps of time off isn't really an option.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    what a fucking show. this boot is worth having as much as state college.
    someones been to crazytown
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    jjmofo wrote:
    See.... Even Pearl Jam hates Riot Act.

only a naive douche bag could make the above statement
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    just got home...
    they played garden.
    they played inside job.
    there was a cute boy dancing next to me.
    i'm thirsty.
    my feet hurt.
    my ears a ringing.
    i feel good....
    :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Sad=Binaural

what are you talking about? lets try again. its on Lost Dogs
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    just got home...
    they played garden.
    they played inside job.
    i'm thirsty.
    my feet hurt.
    my ears a ringing.
    i feel good....

:D:D:D:D:D:D

WOW!!!!!!!

And to top it off, you had a cute boy! :D

Can't wait to read your review tomorrow!!

:)
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    only a naive douche bag could make the above statement

chill out dude. alot of people agree that is a least favorite album.
  • bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    Making it:
    1. Severed Hand
    2. World Wide Suicide
    3. Life Wasted
    4. Marker in the Sand
    5. Given to Fly
    6. Betterman
    7. Even Flow
    8. Unemployable
    9. Garden
    10. Sad
    11. Corduroy
    12. Present Tense
    13. Daughter
    14. Grievance
    15. Not For You
    16. Inside Job
    17. Why Go
    ENCORE BREAK

18. Do the Evolution
    19. Jeremy
    20. Come Back
    21. Alive
    ENCORE BREAK 2

22. Porch
    23. RITFW
    24. Yellow Ledbetter

sweet set!!!!! I'll bet the house came down for why go!!!!
    IamMine wrote:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

WOW!!!!!!!

And to top it off, you had a cute boy! :D

Can't wait to read your review tomorrow!!

Thanks IamMine! :D
    I'm glad you're still awake to share with!

Not much of a review - just the initial thoughts and feelings of an old lady... ;)

More to come tomorrow... I've gotta lie down.... :P
  • alicefellalicefell Posts: 30
    feel all warm and fuzzy...

had a cute aND drunK boy dancing next to me.......lol.....

outstanding.

until tomorrowzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    there is no other way.
    and there never was.
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Thanks IamMine! :D
    I'm glad you're still awake to share with!

Not much of a review - just the initial thoughts and feelings of an old lady... ;)

More to come tomorrow... I've gotta lie down.... :P

:D:D

Oh, you will share MORE - when you are well rested!!

Get some more rest - you're gonna need it for tomorrow!!

Me better get some sleep too.................
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
    alicefell wrote:
    feel all warm and fuzzy...

had a cute aND drunK boy dancing next to me.......lol.....

outstanding.

until tomorrowzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

must find you at Loose Moose tomorrow.....
    must compare cute drunk boys.

have a great sleep.
    dance to PJ in your dreams.

bonne nuit!
  • RWRW Posts: 97
    just got home...
    they played garden.
    they played inside job.
    i'm thirsty.
    my feet hurt.
    my ears a ringing.
    i feel good....

That sounds just like my review. But I had a cute girl dancing next to me. The new Garden was very cool, and Not For You, and all the new stuff rocked. They must play Comatose tomorrow. Can't wait!
  • depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    wooo!! just got back and WOW!!! that was soo fuckin GREAT!!!! :D:D:D:D

i loved it and cant wait for tonite's show!!!!
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    oh.
    my.
    god.

simply fantastic.

mike is even MORE BADASS now, with his doubleneck sg during inside job (i think it was an sg, at least, i was a li'l buzzed still).

the boys can play the new garden as often as they want without any complaints from me. it was glorious.

come back is insane live.

i finally got why go live, and it was orgasmic.

that was quite an interesting tag to daughter. most likely an improv ( i cannot see any song having those lyrics repeating ad infinitum, but i could be wrong).

thanks to the guy that passed his purple haze spliff to me, i needed that. and it was some good shit, i got re-high off those two pulls.

ritfw's now a good ol' canadian folk song. i'm cool with that.

part of me was expecting some stompin' tom when ed was introducing present tense. i know i'm not the only one that was thinkin' that. pt tonight, btw, was MUCH better than my previous experience with it live at the acc.

ed didn't seem to talk all that much tonight.

fuck the $17.50 pitchers at the loose moose. i'm pre-drinking before the moose tomorrow (today).

sad was everything i expected it to be live.

great show all around. better than toronto '05 and '03 for sure.

again inside job was such a treat live. it just did me in.
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Oh man I'm tired, and my ears are fucking ringing

Some quick highlights
    * MMJ was great
    * Severed Hand rocks as an opener
    * They came out onstage to Master/Slave
    * I couldn;t make out the Daughter tag
    * I didn't hear Boom all night. Not even in Inside Job. He was there, but I couldn;t hear him
    * Large beer was $9.00

I'll write more tomorrow
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    * Large beer was $9.00

worst part of the night.
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Killer show, that, although it was a bit more subdued than some of the shows I've seen recently. Lots of the Radio Hits were dragged out tonight, which isn't surprising given that it's the tour opener; I'm sure we'll get a few more rarities tomorrow. That said, I just heard "Garden" and "Why Go" for the first time ever, so why am I quibbling? (By the way, I've now heard all of Ten, which makes it the first Pearl Jam album I've heard in its entirety; pipped Vitalogy and Riot Act.)

Some random points:
    -- no preset
    -- new intro/outro music! Intro: "Master/Slave" (wtf?!!), outro: ?
    -- Pearl Jam has laser lights in their stage show now; see: "Severed Hand", "Inside Job"
    -- "Severed Hand" is a KILLER opening song. Easily the highlight of the night for me.
    -- Mike went absolutely bonkers during the "Even Flow" solo, running around in circles for a good 10 to 15 seconds.
    -- Not a fan of the new "Garden". Maybe it'll grow on me.
    -- Live debut of "Inside Job". Brilliant song. Hope this opens a show or two. Again, the laser lights.
    -- RAGING "DTE". Stone fucked up the intro.
    -- One of the better "Porch"es I've heard. Ed announced it as the final song, which it clearly wasn't.
    -- RAGING "RitFW". Stone fucked up the intro. MMJ helped out with tambourines.
    -- Tonight was Mike's one-year anniversary. Jeff tried coaxing his wife on stage during "Ledbetter", but she said no.

All in all it was a solid start to the tour. Once the band find their touring legs they'll be frigging unstoppable. I need to find a way to see them a few months down the road; twice to begin the tour just won't do it, I'm afraid.

Steve
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Mr. SleepMr. Sleep Posts: 1
    * Large beer was $9.00

that was actually medium beer. they werent selling large tonight. the large are $12.50 :(

great fucking show though. i cant wait for tomorrow.

any cute girls wanna meet up? im going alone tomorrow :)
  • jlew24asu wrote:
    what are you talking about? lets try again. its on Lost Dogs
    Binaural sessions
    "A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"- Mitch Hedberg
  • tafomtafom Posts: 47
    WOW!! That was an amazing show. I have to say Garden was incredible. Well, everything was incredible... but I was pissed off that everyone around me (the upper portion of section 107) were completely silent and sitting down (YES THEY WERE SITTING!) during almost every new song. The girl beside me only stood up for Jeremy and Alive. Seriously, don't spend your money if you only like 2 songs... ugh... also the giant hairy guy that was in front of me left during all the new songs and missed Why Go completely... I don't get it... that kind of thing just pisses me off.

But other than those just mentioned, I had an excellent time, my legs and/or feet never even got sore from standing, I should be just fine for tomorrow night! Hopefully we'll get Gone, Army Reserve, Comatose, Parachutes and Big Wave tomorrow :) Can't wait!!
    "I got this shirt for 35 cents"-Eddie Vedder

Toronto 2000
    London 2005
    Hamilton 2005
    Toronto 2006