Options

Reasons why YOU think the 1995 tour was amazing..

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Any 95 show!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Wasn't so lucky to catch them until 2000, but recently saw the Vitalogy tour film , which went around the pacific, I think it was 95, the live performances are great...Jack irons on drums particularly. Tremor Christ is intense...just so focused. A band growing and moving forward..
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
  • Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    Austin, TX 9.16.95 This was my first ever PJ concert and like someone said above, you never forget your first. I was 20 years old and my life was never the same after that night. I used the first few songs to finally get to the very front of the crowd on the rail and never relinquished my spot. I was staring at EV the entire time and I'm quite sure we made eye contact several times through the show. I never watched a show from such a close vantage point....until Fenway 2 when 10C blessed me with 2nd row dead center in front of EV. Its been a 21 year odyssey seeing them live and last Sunday was coming full circle to be back at the front. Aaaah 1995 that was amazing!! And the fuckin Ramones opened. How great is that??
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    CubuCubu N.W. Suburban Chicago Posts: 86
    I was Laura Kaplan for the Soldier Field show...Still have the ticket stub..that whole name thing was a riot..
    Chicago Stadium -94, Soldier Field -95, United Center -98, Allstate Arena -2000, United Center -03, United Center -06, United Center -09, Alpine Valley - 11, Wrigley Field-13, Wrigley Field-16
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    My 1st show I traveled too !! Milwaukee
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2018
    I only saw 1 show on this tour, 11/4/95 San Jose. A local radio station recorded it from the soundboard and for a long time it was a favorite boot, so the music and setlist were phenomenal (why is the setlist not on this site anymore?)

But I have amazing memories from this show, absolutely a special special one.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,745

My favorite:

Austin, my first. May not be the best overall performance, but you always remember your first

Mine too.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

Austin, TX 9.16.95 This was my first ever PJ concert and like someone said above, you never forget your first. I was 20 years old and my life was never the same after that night. I used the first few songs to finally get to the very front of the crowd on the rail and never relinquished my spot. I was staring at EV the entire time and I'm quite sure we made eye contact several times through the show. I never watched a show from such a close vantage point....until Fenway 2 when 10C blessed me with 2nd row dead center in front of EV. Its been a 21 year odyssey seeing them live and last Sunday was coming full circle to be back at the front. Aaaah 1995 that was amazing!! And the fuckin Ramones opened. How great is that??

My memories:

God, it was hot. The show was moved up to 4 in the afternoon to allow clean-up for the next night's Radiohead/REM show in the same venue. (Think about that Ramones, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, REM in the span of 48 hours).

But did I mention it was hot? Texas in September. It's over 100 degrees, I'm sure, and humid as the devil's balls. And there's 70,000 of us crammed together in this one GA field.

Ed comes out in his corduroy jacket, fake bundled up as a joke about the heat. They launch into Act of Love. On about the second strum of the G chord, the crowd surges forward and I get pinned facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. I loose myself and say, "Fuck this" and try to navigate my way from in front of the stage toward the relative safety of the hillside.

Then I hear the opening chords of "Go" and say, "Fuck it." I push back toward the stage and proceed to spend the next 8 songs or so getting my ass absolutely kicked. I crowd surfed throughout the entire intro to Corduroy. Somewhere in the middle of Evenflow, I get flung toward the middle of a mosh pit and, in a stroke of luck, would collide with one of the eight people I can to the show with, but who i haven't seen since Act of Love began and all hell broke loose.

I've never been to war, but I assume those first eights songs or go must have been what it is like -- except with better music. My friend and I proceed to crowd surf over the barrier in front, some nice security/medical people give us each a bottle of water and then we decide to go try and find the rest of our friends, who were smart enough to watch the entire show from the comfort of the aforementioned hillside.

Almost the entire show was played during daylight hours. In my (admittedly hazy) recollections now, I remember watching the sun set behind the stage as Indifference closed the show.

Beautiful.

Listening to the boot now, it was kind of a rough show. Ed's voice was blown for good bits of that tour. The chaos of being in the pit for the first several songs kind of hampered my technical enjoyment of the show.

But as someone mentioned earlier, you never forget your first time. That was my first time. It will always be special. I was 18 years old. That was more than half a lifetime ago. And yet I still haven't found anything quite like that moment.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    JH and slightofjeff, I love these stories!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

JH and slightofjeff, I love these stories!!!!

Thank you! And slightofjeff, my head is still exploding at the idea of the Ramones, PJ, Radiohead and REM all in the same venue within 48 hrs of each other... How did you survive that? I'd have self-combusted from the excitement!
  • Options
    jburneykojburneyko Posts: 116
    went to 7-8-95 milwaukee.

you really had to work to see this tour... alternate ticketing, out of the way venues, shows were cancelled, then they were back on. mtv news was my news source. i drove from nj to milw not knowing 100% if the show was actually going to happen.

Not For You, especially during the Milw and Chicago shows was intense as ever.

Listening to monkeywrench radio after the show....
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455

My favorite:

Austin, my first. May not be the best overall performance, but you always remember your first

I was there for my first show too. I'm from Texas and am used to the heat but I still think that whoever decided that starting this outdoor concert at 2 o'clock in the afternoon in the Austin heat of September should be staked down spread eagle on top of a fire ant mound while staring up into the summer sun. It was fucking brutal!
  • Options
    bbisonbbison Posts: 219
    Summer of '95, wish I could go back....

My roommate and I were all set to go to Milwaukee 1, but he called me that morning and said he was having car trouble on his way back to Chicago and oh, by the way--our tix are in his wallet. (He and his wallet were in Kentucky. Not good.) I went through all the 5 stages of grief in record time, decided to go anyway. Figured the seats wouldn't be 10c, but I'd get in. Back then, IIRC, both the lawn and bleachers behind the seats were first-come, first served. There was already a line when I arrived.

I went straight to the box office and asked the woman if she had a single. She explained about the lawn, said there was nothing else. I asked if she could check? It's just me...Maybe a single somewhere in the pavilion? She looked and found one seat, but said it was obstructed view. The Marcus has a proscenium thrust stage, so seats way off to the side may not have a good view. I bought it, figuring I could always move back on the grass if it sucked.

Here's the weird part--Summerfest (and the Marcus) is a Ticketmaster venue. They let PJ sell the tickets, but tickets generated at the Box Office were TM tix. I saw the stub a few months ago in my garage, can't imagine there are too many TM tickets in existence on the F**K Ticketmaster tour.

Anyway, what was marked and sold as "obstructed" was section 1, row A. The far side of the front row, Stone's side. I was probably closer to the drum set than Eddie. The experience of seeing that band, that show, that intensity at close range sticks with me today. Jaw-dropping. Mind-bending. I'd seen them before, but never, never like this.

I was at Soldier Field a couple days later as well, that was an all-timer of a setlist, band really playing with a vengeance that night. But it's Milwaukee that's stuck with me, even though an objective comparison of both shows it's no contest which was better.

Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Options
    bbison said:

Summer of '95, wish I could go back....

My roommate and I were all set to go to Milwaukee 1, but he called me that morning and said he was having car trouble on his way back to Chicago and oh, by the way--our tix are in his wallet. (He and his wallet were in Kentucky. Not good.) I went through all the 5 stages of grief in record time, decided to go anyway. Figured the seats wouldn't be 10c, but I'd get in. Back then, IIRC, both the lawn and bleachers behind the seats were first-come, first served. There was already a line when I arrived.

I went straight to the box office and asked the woman if she had a single. She explained about the lawn, said there was nothing else. I asked if she could check? It's just me...Maybe a single somewhere in the pavilion? She looked and found one seat, but said it was obstructed view. The Marcus has a proscenium thrust stage, so seats way off to the side may not have a good view. I bought it, figuring I could always move back on the grass if it sucked.

Here's the weird part--Summerfest (and the Marcus) is a Ticketmaster venue. They let PJ sell the tickets, but tickets generated at the Box Office were TM tix. I saw the stub a few months ago in my garage, can't imagine there are too many TM tickets in existence on the F**K Ticketmaster tour.

Anyway, what was marked and sold as "obstructed" was section 1, row A. The far side of the front row, Stone's side. I was probably closer to the drum set than Eddie. The experience of seeing that band, that show, that intensity at close range sticks with me today. Jaw-dropping. Mind-bending. I'd seen them before, but never, never like this.

I was at Soldier Field a couple days later as well, that was an all-timer of a setlist, band really playing with a vengeance that night. But it's Milwaukee that's stuck with me, even though an objective comparison of both shows it's no contest which was better.

LOVE your story! It's ALWAYS worth it to at least try (as long as you can live with the possibility it won't work out). Some of the best things happen when you just... try... :)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    HaHa.
    I remember seeing REM/Radiohead and PJ/Ramones a week apart due to PJ rescheduling the New Orleans show. What a week. This was my sister's first and second concerts ever. talk about being spoiled!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    Two words: Soldier Field
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

HaHa.
    I remember seeing REM/Radiohead and PJ/Ramones a week apart due to PJ rescheduling the New Orleans show. What a week. This was my sister's first and second concerts ever. talk about being spoiled!!!

I mean, seriously, how do you come back from that? What was her 3rd show? Hopefully something really dreadful so she got the full range of possible live experiences in 3 shows... :)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

lolobugg said:

HaHa.

I mean, seriously, how do you come back from that? What was her 3rd show? Hopefully something really dreadful so she got the full range of possible live experiences in 3 shows... :)
    Third show was the reincarnated Beatles opening for a heavenly choir of angels
  • Options
    edited August 2016

JH6056 said:

lolobugg said:

HaHa.

I think it was Bush/Goo Dolls/No Doubt.
    so she got to see the real deal and then the pretenders. :lol:
    she has been in the 10club since 96. not sure why she waited all those months to join......
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

JH6056 said:

lolobugg said:

HaHa.

Oh, that's a relief, I was worried it was something like Jimi Hendrix, Bowie on Iggy Stardust Tour, Nina Simone, Jeff Buckley and a reincarnated Nirvana all on one bill....
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

JH6056 said:

lolobugg said:

HaHa.

she has been in the 10club since 96. not sure why she waited all those months to join......
    Honestly that was still probably a decent show, but not historic. Would have been more stark a contrast if you'd said her 3rd show was Hannah Montana or the singer of Creed solo :)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

lolobugg said:

JH6056 said:

lolobugg said:

HaHa.

Honestly that was still probably a decent show, but not historic. Would have been more stark a contrast if you'd said her 3rd show was Hannah Montana or the singer of Creed solo :)
    yeah. it was before No Doubt got airplay. I remember liking them much more than the 2 headliners.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Listening to Mad Season @ The Moore. Damn, Mikey was just a different player. The evolution in his playing from 1993 on wards. Jesus!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Jack Jack Jack For Vault 7
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I won tickets from our local rock station to the New Orleans show. It would've been my first PJ show. Then it was cancelled. I may have cried.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options

I won tickets from our local rock station to the New Orleans show. It would've been my first PJ show. Then it was cancelled. I may have cried.

did you go to the make up show? I heard stories from people in NOLA that the radio stations down there were making them eat dog food for tickets. then PJ postponed the July 4th show..... I hope those folks got in to the Sept show.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

did you go to the make up show? I heard stories from people in NOLA that the radio stations down there were making them eat dog food for tickets. then PJ postponed the July 4th show..... I hope those folks got in to the Sept show.
    No. I was really broke back in those days, which is why I was so happy to win tickets. I don't know if there's any band I would eat dog food for but maybe in my 20's I would have.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    I love rock and roll (so does Joan Jett) but there's no way in hell I'm eating dog food for a fucking ticket. I might would have pretended like I was going to do it but then upon seeing the smarmy look of anticipation on those jerkoff radio asshole's faces I would have shoved the dog food right in their face.

Stick it to the man! Power to the (Up With) People!
  • Options
    AceCool said:

I love rock and roll (so does Joan Jett) but there's no way in hell I'm eating dog food for a fucking ticket. I might would have pretended like I was going to do it but then upon seeing the smarmy look of anticipation on those jerkoff radio asshole's faces I would have shoved the dog food right in their face.

Stick it to the man! Power to the (Up With) People!

Right on! Ed even said something to that that effect at that show. 95 was good times, man.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore