Office Coffee - Am I crazy?

shepshep Houston Posts: 5,644
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So at my office, of course they provide coffee. It is from a company called "Community Coffee" based out of Louisiana that is the standard for the oil and gas industry. If i have to go to a meeting elsewhere, everyone associated with this industry has it... the company has done a good job cornering this market segment, even though their coffee tastes like absolute shit. (However I'm sure if this thread continues long enough a Louisianian will chirp in to argue that point... and I still say they coffee is burnt to shit and tastes like drinking ground up burnt toast)...

Anyway, to counteract the terrible coffee, I have a small grinder and a french press at my desk, and I grind up locally roasted, great beans and make my own pot of coffee every morning....

Am I fucking nuts? I have been doing this for the 2 and a 1/2 years I've been working here, and people still ask me why I don't drink the free stuff that the office provides...

Am I the only person on the planet that can't handle shit coffee every morning?

I am starting to think I have a screw loose...

/endrant
Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My office has those K cups. No thanks.

I brew my own at home and take it to work in a thermos every day.

Life's too short to drink shitty coffee.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • shepshep Houston Posts: 5,644
    dankind wrote:
    My office has those K cups. No thanks.

I brew my own at home and take it to work in a thermos every day.

I'm in complete agreement with you there...

But it seems to me that when it's free, people don't seem to care if it's complete shit.... :fp:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm sure you're not crazy, lots of people are picky about their coffee. I'm not crazy about tasty coffee. Folgers is where it's at for me. And while I don't do back-flips over Community Coffee, I have bought it 1-2 times in the past and it did the trick. But for me coffee isn't something I savor and enjoy, it has a purpose, to wake me up and get me going. To me it needs to be kind of bitter and have a kick to wake me up.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I stop at WaWa or Dunkin on the way in. WaWa has perfect coffee every time with all the trimmings you could possibly imagine....probably cuz the coffee counter is so crowded in the morning that the coffee has no time to get burnt/stale.

I actually prefer WaWa over Dunkin when I have the time, cuz I can make it just the way I like it. Dunkin...limited to what they do for ya.

Good enough for me ;)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Shep,

Your a newf so being a bit crazy is part of the DNA... :lol:

But yeah i cant stand the office coffee here it stinks and tastes like shit as well. I brew from home and make a coffee run to timmys or MCDs every morning. Cant believe my company charges us for this crap as well.

Morning all, time for a run as we speak...
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    No, you're not crazy. When I used to drink coffee more regularly, I was part of a small group of two or three others who chipped in to buy our own pot and coffee. It was better than the coffee my company offered (which is seriously watered down and tastes like $hit).
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i bought a grinder and press. have it at home but may bring it to the office since i only brew on the weekend at home...and honestly, i enjoy going to starbucks to get a coffee, read the paper and get engulfed in that coffee smell. almost as bad as that old smoker smell you used to get at the bar. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    nah, not crazy at all.

my job has a free maxwell house machine in our cafeteria, and while it's not terrible, i am still dipping into dunkin or starbucks on my way in. i drink my coffee black, so paying the $3, $4 a day for a little extra flavor than the maxwell house machine is worth it in my opinion.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    rival. wrote:
    nah, not crazy at all.

my job has a free maxwell house machine in our cafeteria, and while it's not terrible, i am still dipping into dunkin or starbucks on my way in. i drink my coffee black, so paying the $3, $4 a day for a little extra flavor than the maxwell house machine is worth it in my opinion.

$3 a day = $780 a year

i'd rather have the cash. :P :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    shep wrote:

Anyway, to counteract the terrible coffee, I have a small grinder and a french press at my desk, and I grind up locally roasted, great beans and make my own pot of coffee every morning....
    I use a French press at home and have been thinking about getting a 20oz one for the office. The coffee in my building though is pretty decent and They brew it fresh constantly. Nothing better than a French Press
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    nah, not crazy at all.

$3 a day = $780 a year

but the lady at the dunkin on wabash ave knows my name. that place is my Cheers. :cry:
    81 wrote:
    i bought a grinder and press. have it at home but may bring it to the office since i only brew on the weekend at home...and honestly, i enjoy going to starbucks to get a coffee, read the paper and get engulfed in that coffee smell. almost as bad as that old smoker smell you used to get at the bar. :lol:

I have a second grinder and press at home, as I got sick of carrying it back and forth to work on the weekends...
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    nah, not crazy at all.

$3 a day = $780 a year

This is actually how I arrived at bringing a press into work... there are several starbucks I pass on the way to work each morning. I was considering starting to buy coffee there, until I did a quick math check and realized it would cost me less than $0.60/day for 2 cups if I bought beans and did the grinder/press thing... since I started 2 and a 1/2 years ago, my pickiness in the beans I use has gone up quite a bit and now I'm paying about $1/day for 2 cups... but it's worth it...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    this is the worst shit of coffee..i will not drink it,even if they pay me
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    kw18 wrote:
    No, you're not crazy. When I used to drink coffee more regularly, I was part of a small group of two or three others who chipped in to buy our own pot and coffee. It was better than the coffee my company offered (which is seriously watered down and tastes like $hit).

I did this for a while with a couple of co-workers as well.... but the coffee vultures in the office turned me off from it... after we were doing it for a month or so, we notice there were a lot of people who would wait until we brewed our pot and filled up, and then it would be immediately drained as soon as we left the kitchen... never a chance for a second cup unless we stood around and guarded the pot.... :nono:
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    coffee is crap at my work. ive been drinking the same slop here for about 4 years. i finally broke down and brought me own ground last week.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    No you're definitely not nuts. French press is the way to go in my opinion. The coffee at my office sucks too, it gets worse when it's brewed stronger and people really load that shit up here. Sometimes I give in and think "Oh, it can't be so bad" and I'm always reminded that yes, yes it can.
    dankind wrote:

I can only end by saying I completely agree.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I don't drink the crap free coffee at the office. I think I tried to once or twice but had to throw it out. It's not only a problem of the type of coffee, but the people don't know how to make it. :lol: We used to have a team member who would bring in and brew his own coffee and share it with certain people..that was good but he no longer works with us :| Now I usually bring in my own with the occasional visit to Starbucks.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    dankind wrote:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    dankind wrote:

Sums it up right here!!
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    shep wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

I did this for a while with a couple of co-workers as well.... but the coffee vultures in the office turned me off from it... after we were doing it for a month or so, we notice there were a lot of people who would wait until we brewed our pot and filled up, and then it would be immediately drained as soon as we left the kitchen... never a chance for a second cup unless we stood around and guarded the pot.... :nono:

Holy crap, that's shaddy as hell. Our pot was fairly well-secured ... it was near some of our cubes in a meeting room that only belongs to our department. So anybody walking in there would be suspect.

I suppose one way to prevent this sort of thing is just staying by your pot as it brews. Or keeping your pot in your cube if your office doesn't mind fire hazards. :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    When I started working at my current job, I couldn't believe how bad the coffee was. It was WEAK! That's even worse than burnt tasting coffee.

I brought a Keurig to work. It's not my favorite form of coffee but at least it tastes better than dirty water. I don't care if other people use it as long as they don't expect me to provide the K cups. It was a big hit, BTW, since they can all brew their favorite kinds. Blueberry coffee, anyone? :wtf: :sick:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • You are not crazy.

I dig the staffroom coffee,
    but I am a cheapskate!
    There are only 2 - 4 of us that actually
    brew a pot when we arrive,
    + we've done it enough that the pots aren't too bad.
    I've debated getting into the French press thing,
    but haven't taken the leap yet.
    Oh yeah, we have the K-cups now too,
    which aren't so bad-
    a bit pricey, though!

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Nope.

People are gross, they never washed the coffee pot/carafe.

Numerous times I saw people making the coffee in the morning, and they wouldn't dump out the old coffee, or rinse out the pump thingie, they'd just make new coffee to mix with the old stuff. Even on Monday when the old stuff sat around all weekend.

I don't blame anybody for bringing in their own coffee.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Burnt? Are you sure you aren't drinking Starbucks?
    Burnt? Are you sure you aren't drinking Starbucks?

won't argue with you there... I find pike's place coffee terrible for exactly that reason. it tastes burnt to me. When I shifted away from buying starbucks beens I noticed a dramatically better taste in my coffee in general.

In the meantime, I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy :lol:(at least in this aspect of my life)...
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Nope.

People are gross, they never washed the coffee pot/carafe.

Numerous times I saw people making the coffee in the morning, and they wouldn't dump out the old coffee, or rinse out the pump thingie, they'd just make new coffee to mix with the old stuff. Even on Monday when the old stuff sat around all weekend.

I don't blame anybody for bringing in their own coffee.

Yea, I'm convinced this happens at my office as well.... the admins rinse out the coffee pots, but that happens maybe like once a week... I wash my french press, grinder pot, stir spoon, and mug every day.... and again everyone looks at me like i'm crazy when I do it.... i can't seem to win on the coffee situation... :fp:
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    You're winning shep
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    You are 100% not crazy. I don't drink a lot of coffee (only 1 cup a day), I want it to be exactly as I like it. If I was in your situation I'd do the same thing.

I use a little Ikea stovetop espresso pot and make great coffee at home.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • uracrazybreed
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    shep wrote:
    So at my office, of course they provide coffee. It is from a company called "Community Coffee" based out of Louisiana that is the standard for the oil and gas industry. If i have to go to a meeting elsewhere, everyone associated with this industry has it... the company has done a good job cornering this market segment, even though their coffee tastes like absolute shit. (However I'm sure if this thread continues long enough a Louisianian will chirp in to argue that point... and I still say they coffee is burnt to shit and tastes like drinking ground up burnt toast)...

Am I fucking nuts? I have been doing this for the 2 and a 1/2 years I've been working here, and people still ask me why I don't drink the free stuff that the office provides...

Am I the only person on the planet that can't handle shit coffee every morning?

I am starting to think I have a screw loose...

/endrant

You need a Starbucks PAL... They'll never let you go down like that. We do live in the same zipcode. I'm just not driving that far to give you coffee. Like that carpool pick up that was way too far for you? :P
    Funny how gears shift. JK.

FYI: If Starbucks tastes like shit... they should have cleaned the machine long ago.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    we have kuerig in our little section that we chipped in for.

a few guys even have their own small kuerig at their desks.
    chinese-happy.jpg