the most 'free' countries are....

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... html?ncid=

pretty interesting to me anyway especially when some people here have said again and again that the USA have the most freedom's....

Though Americans pride themselves on living in the "land of the free and the home of the brave," per the Star-Spangled Banner, The Canadian Fraser Institute has some news for the United States: It's not tops in the world when it comes to freedom.

That's right; the Canadian think-tank ranks the U.S. just seventh in its ranking of most and least free countries for 2013. According to the National Post, the list was published as part of a book compiled by the Fraser Institute and Germany's Liberales Institut, Towards a Worldwide Index of Human Freedom.

The Fraser Institute's website explains the publication's goal:

This project, sponsored by Canada’s Fraser Institute, Germany’s Liberales Institut, and the United States’ Cato Institute, focuses on creating the first comprehensive and conceptually consistent index of freedom, including economic freedom, and is based on the “negative” definition of freedom—in other words, the absence of barriers or coercion that prevent individuals from acting as they might wish.

According to the South China Morning Post, the index described personal freedom as freedom of speech, freedom of religion, discrimination against homosexuals and women's rights. Economic freedoms were understood to include property sovereignty and "individuals' engagement in voluntary transactions."

The metrics come from a composite score derived from data provided by the Economist Intelligence Unit, OECD and Freedom House, the National Post reports, with a 10 representing the highest score possible.

Africa and the Middle East didn't fair too well in the study, as the New Zealand Herald notes, with African or Middle Eastern countries making up eight of the bottom 10. Zimbabwe ranked dead last.
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • landolando Posts: 661
    Frazier institute is shall we say a tad right wing. Just throwing it out there
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 3,039
    edited January 2013
    What a terrible Estonia picture. I thought she was eating her own hand off.....
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Smellyman wrote:
    What a terrible Estonia picture. I thought she was eating her own had off.....


    totally a pic from the Walking Dead. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Shocking huffpo picked a NASCAR fan with a beer bong as their representation of the US, while largely choosing beautiful national landscapes, wildlife, or monuments for many of the other countries. :roll:
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    MotoDC wrote:
    Shocking huffpo picked a NASCAR fan with a beer bong as their representation of the US, while largely choosing beautiful national landscapes, wildlife, or monuments for many of the other countries. :roll:

    Why would an American online newspaper be anti their own country?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    edited January 2013
    Zoso wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:
    Shocking huffpo picked a NASCAR fan with a beer bong as their representation of the US, while largely choosing beautiful national landscapes, wildlife, or monuments for many of the other countries. :roll:

    Why would an American online newspaper be anti their own country?
    What difference does it make where the newspaper is based?

    edit: more to the point, are you actually suggesting that that pic is any of the following:
    1) Sufficiently representative of the US?
    2) In the same league in terms of positive impression as most of the rest of the pics?
    3) That its selection was pure happenstance on the part of the "newspaper"?
    Post edited by MotoDC on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 8,995
    Hahaha, no agenda with that picture and caption of the USA.

    They literally wrote he is from Taledo, Ohio...no such place. Making fun of his country accent I would guess when trying to say Toledo. What a waste of time this reaserch and article is, and now, this thread. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    MotoDC wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:
    Shocking huffpo picked a NASCAR fan with a beer bong as their representation of the US, while largely choosing beautiful national landscapes, wildlife, or monuments for many of the other countries. :roll:

    Why would an American online newspaper be anti their own country?
    What difference does it make where the newspaper is based?

    edit: more to the point, are you actually suggesting that that pic is any of the following:
    1) Sufficiently representative of the US?
    2) In the same league in terms of positive impression as most of the rest of the pics?
    3) That its selection was pure happenstance on the part of the "newspaper"?

    no it doesn't represent the USA as it should but the research still stands... I didn't post it for any other reason then for information. I didn't intend it to be anti-USA at all.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Hahaha, no agenda with that picture and caption of the USA.

    They literally wrote he is from Taledo, Ohio...no such place. Making fun of his country accent I would guess when trying to say Toledo. What a waste of time this reaserch and article is, and now, this thread. ;)

    sorry I wasted your time... :lol:
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Zoso wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:
    What difference does it make where the newspaper is based?

    edit: more to the point, are you actually suggesting that that pic is any of the following:
    1) Sufficiently representative of the US?
    2) In the same league in terms of positive impression as most of the rest of the pics?
    3) That its selection was pure happenstance on the part of the "newspaper"?

    no it doesn't represent the USA as it should but the research still stands... I didn't post it for any other reason then for information. I didn't intend it to be anti-USA at all.
    Honestly didn't think that you did; my critique was of the article (edit: well, moreso of the picture selection), not your intentions. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

    I can't critique the article (assuming it even needs it) without diving deeper into the assumptions and data that support the study. Can't do that right now.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,834
    Cool beer bong.

    Although, I prefer the hard hat that holds a beer on each side with a straw. That way I can hold my cigarette.
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    It doesn't surprise me that we aren't the 'most free'...We didn't invent freedom and liberty, nor do we allow ourselves all of it...it should really go, "home of the arguably more free, and probably the same amount of brave per capita"...At least this gives us something to shoot for right?
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Jason P wrote:
    Cool beer bong.

    Although, I prefer the hard hat that holds a beer on each side with a straw. That way I can hold my cigarette.
    Own up. You submitted that pic from your last NASCAR camping trip for that article.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,834
    US is free as long as you shut up and don't do anything stupid ... and pay your tithings to your governments ... or break local ordinances ...

    Now that I think about it, you can't even go live under a tree without filling out the appropriate paperwork and make sure you are more then 150 feet away from any water source.

    :fp:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,834
    MotoDC wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Cool beer bong.

    Although, I prefer the hard hat that holds a beer on each side with a straw. That way I can hold my cigarette.
    Own up. You submitted that pic from your last NASCAR camping trip for that article.
    Ha! I'm no Dale Jr. fan!

    Although, I will admit that I once walked into the Indy 500 with 2 cases of beer resting on my shoulders while holding my admission ticket in my mouth. Don't remember much of what happened later on for some reason ...

    :think:
Sign In or Register to comment.