Options

What Happened?

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
What happened to all of the game shows that used to be on when I was a kid in the mornings? I mean everything on during the mornings now are judge shows and shows with doctors telling me what to do. Bring back the whammy.

press-your-luck-whammy.jpg?w=300
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    The Game Show network. Contact your local cable provider and tell them to add it.

Re-runs of old shows and some descent new ones
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    The Game Show network. Contact your local cable provider and tell them to add it.

Yeah, I have that channel. Not a fan of the new ones.
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Maybe too many people figured out the tricks? I've read a few articles (which of course I can't find now) about how one guy figured out the whammy pattern and knew when to stop it to bring in loads of cash. Another couple memorized all the prices on the Price Is Right and were able to win insane amounts of prizes by "guessing" it right on the nose (although PIR has started shuffling stuff around to avoid this ...).
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah, I have that channel. Not a fan of the new ones.

Lingo is pretty good, but was better when the super hot chick was co-hosting

Edit: super hot chick - http://www.shandi.info/index.php
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    My assumption would be that syndicated judge shows and talk shows are cheaper for stations to order and/or they get better ratings. I mean there is a reason that now that Oprah's show is done, Judge Judy is like the highest paid person working in TV.
  • Options
    Concentration was the cat's ass too.

14591.jpg
  • Options
    Remember Bumper Stumpers?

Hokiest show ever, but had me entertained at 4:30 each afternoon about 30 years ago
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

Hokiest show ever, but had me entertained at 4:30 each afternoon about 30 years ago

I had to google that one but looking at the pictures I do vaguely remember it.
  • Options
    Please tell me that is not true about judge Judy.
    John Roach
  • Options
    john roach wrote:

"But if you're looking for the biggest on-camera earner on TV, the verdict is clear: Judge Judy Sheindlin, whose annual pay for her syndicated afternoon court show is $45 million, according to the annual "Who Earns What" survey by TV Guide." :lol:

http://slumz.boxden.com/f218/bet-you-ca ... v-1796360/
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    DS1119 wrote:
    john roach wrote:

"But if you're looking for the biggest on-camera earner on TV, the verdict is clear: Judge Judy Sheindlin, whose annual pay for her syndicated afternoon court show is $45 million, according to the annual "Who Earns What" survey by TV Guide." :lol:

http://slumz.boxden.com/f218/bet-you-ca ... v-1796360/
    I adore her.

Can't beat common sense with a side of feistiness!
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    don't forget beat the clock and if you are really old video village. that one they could bring back.
  • Options
    Also, I agree with the OP.

I'm on day three of being home sick, and aside from Big Cat Diary, morning TV sucks.

I think the game shows of my childhood were on in the afternoon - Match Game, Gong Show, 25K Pyramid.

(but seriously, would it kill them to run a few old Bugs cartoons?)
  • Options
    Loved this one too.

tumblr_mclqhrSXwA1rjion1o1_250.gif
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    DS1119 wrote:

I am pretty sure that was a Canadian game show. You can kind of tell because even for the final round the prizes were super low-rent. I am thinking that even in the 90's they were along the lines of a couple of thousand bucks (shared between a team of two) if you won't the whole episode. And if you won't I don't think you would get to come back (although that may be some other low rent Canadian game show).
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

I am pretty sure that was a Canadian game show. You can kind of tell because even for the final round the prizes were super low-rent. I am thinking that even in the 90's they were along the lines of a couple of thousand bucks (shared between a team of two) if you won't the whole episode. And if you won't I don't think you would get to come back (although that may be some other low rent Canadian game show).

We used to get a lot of the Canadian shows on the USA Network here...kind of ironic when I think about it. :lol:
  • Options
    I used to enjoy the Price is Right but that Drew Carey is a total fucking idiot and the show ain't the same.
    I miss Bob Barker.

Lets make a deal is a good one, haven't seen it around. Although I don't catch much morning tv.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    hedonist wrote:

I'm on day three of being home sick, and aside from Big Cat Diary, morning TV sucks.

I think the game shows of my childhood were on in the afternoon - Match Game, Gong Show, 25K Pyramid.

Bugs Bunny and other Looney Tunes can be found on Cartoon Network.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

No, it's now the "modern" version...weird looking and sounding, like when the Flintstones was updated.

I'm officially at the point of seeing if I can get it On Demand.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    hedonist wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

No, it's now the "modern" version...weird looking and sounding, like when the Flintstones was updated.

Nope, they play the classics too. I'm not sure what time, but they are on.
  • Options
    foodboy wrote:
    don't forget beat the clock and if you are really old video village. that one they could bring back.
    This and Name That Tune. :thumbup:
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

You need Boomerang. It's owned by Cartoon Network, but the run the 60's Jetsons / Flintstones, the old school Scooby Doo. My kids used to live on Boomerang which made me sooo happy not having to watch The Wiggles or whatever. They've moved on to Nick to watch Sponge Bob, but that show cracks me up too.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    kw18 wrote:
    Maybe too many people figured out the tricks? I've read a few articles (which of course I can't find now) about how one guy figured out the whammy pattern and knew when to stop it to bring in loads of cash. Another couple memorized all the prices on the Price Is Right and were able to win insane amounts of prizes by "guessing" it right on the nose (although PIR has started shuffling stuff around to avoid this ...).

Yeah...i think I remember hearing about that guy...maybe they could make a movie about it, like they did for this game show...

220px-Vivienne_Nearing,_Jack_Barry,_Charles_Van_Doren_NYWTS.jpg
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=guy+who+cheated+on+press+your+luck

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=people+who+cheated ... e+is+right
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Peter Tamarkin is from Olean NY.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

No at like noon they show the old ones. They usually throw in some of the new ones with the old ones.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DURP wrote:

...also just learned he died in a plane crash.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    DURP wrote:

So the whammy finally got him.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    DURP wrote:

So the whammy finally got him.

He pressed his luck...and lost. :lol:
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

No at like noon they show the old ones. They usually throw in some of the new ones with the old ones.
    Found it! Thanks, you two ;)

(edit - I am not in the least embarrassed at my adult self for being so excited at having found this)
This discussion has been closed.